MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

378 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

by Sutekh » 22 Apr 2021 14:03

tidus_mi2
windermereROYAL Quote from Josh Laurent

"These are three cup finals that we have to win. So now we need to make sure it’s all-out, and all-in."
While there's any hope remaining, midfielder Josh Laurent wants the team to battle on...

I think somebody needs to explain the definition of the word `battle`. to the players. he`s living on cloud cuckoo land if he still thinks we are in with a shout.

That's been the most frustrating part of the last two games, the overall lack of effort and desire until the last 5 minutes by which point it's pretty much too late.

That is largely down to the sleepy manner of playing the game under VP. It’s all low tempo patient crab ball and not enough direct forward movement so it’s hardly a surprise that Reading mostly struggle to look as if they “want it”.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 22 Apr 2021 15:39

I have written on this subject before and after last nights game many of you have voiced similar comments .
PLAYING OUT FROM THE BACK ! I believe in retaining possession , the only team that can score is the one with the ball , but your chances to score are greater , the nearer you are to the oppositions goal . But what we do is NOT PLAYING OUT FROM THE BACK ! It is retaining possession in our own half . Is this threatening the opposition ? As the ball is nearer our goal I don’t think so . What are the opposition doing while we are passing sideways or back ? Are they concerned or threatened , or might they be regaining positions , recovering energy , or even picking up our players .
It seems to be the general opinion that Raphael is not a good passer of the ball , yet we give it back to him and hope that he can find a player , when he’s 25/30 yards further back than the player who passed it to him . Are they saying ‘ here you have it cos you’re better at passing than I am , although it’s part of my job and we’ve been fiddling around with it for a while here and can’t make a forward pass ‘ . As a mid-field player I would be ashamed to do that and fear for my place in the team . ——— But we do it. !
My main impression of last nights game was that , when we got near the Luton goal , we had difficulty getting shooting space , and if we did have a shot m it hit a defender , there were so many of them ! Could that have anything to do with the above ?

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Apr 2021 15:59

Also, Moore on that free kick. Can someone explain that to me?

If its a David Luiz blast it type of free kick, Meite has a more powerful shot.

Olise takes corners, and on occassion they are good.

Ejaria bends fairly good crosses in on his right foot on occassion.

What is Moore doing, trying to curl a free kick over the wall?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Apr 2021 16:00

The issue absolutely isn't the passing it around in our own half. its the lack of a decisive ball in the opposition half

Passing round the back is just one of those cliche bingos that seem to be a fix to all our issues.

We actually played it round the back pretty nicely last night, not to excess, and not really very riskily. The issue was getting to the final third, finding a defensive wall and ending up putting in a crap ball, losing it, or passing it back to the half way line.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Apr 2021 16:10

Hound The issue absolutely isn't the passing it around in our own half. its the lack of a decisive ball in the opposition half

Passing round the back is just one of those cliche bingos that seem to be a fix to all our issues.

We actually played it round the back pretty nicely last night, not to excess, and not really very riskily. The issue was getting to the final third, finding a defensive wall and ending up putting in a crap ball, losing it, or passing it back to the half way line.

Yes absolutely, it was so frustrating to see us burst forward then slow it down, usually thanks to Ejaria and by the time we went again, Luton had organised their defence.

I wouldn't be surprised if we've been trying to develop a different style since we no longer have the more direct option to Joao but when our whole success this season has been revolved around Joao, it's no surprise our form tailing off has coincided with his own form dropping.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 22 Apr 2021 16:15

Greatwesternline Also, Moore on that free kick. Can someone explain that to me?

He probably banged one in top corner in training once plus he is captain fantastic.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 22 Apr 2021 16:22

tidus_mi2
Hound The issue absolutely isn't the passing it around in our own half. its the lack of a decisive ball in the opposition half

Yes absolutely, it was so frustrating to see us burst forward then slow it down, usually thanks to Ejaria and by the time we went again, Luton had organised their defence.

I wouldn't be surprised if we've been trying to develop a different style since we no longer have the more direct option to Joao but when our whole success this season has been revolved around Joao, it's no surprise our form tailing off has coincided with his own form dropping.

I think we are stuck between the 2 styles... we pass it around the back nice, slip it to a player in a decent area like planned, then suddenly we pass it backwards, back again then its lumped forward. I also think when this transition started is when Joaos form dropped off a cliff, when we started launching 60 yard balls to him.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Apr 2021 16:30

Coppells Lost Coat

He probably banged one in top corner in training once plus he is captain fantastic.

That and all of Olise's free kicks have been shocking.

Might as well try something different as if Swift isn't on the pitch I don't think anyone has a decent free kick on them.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Apr 2021 16:36

Hendo
Coppells Lost Coat

Might as well try something different as if Swift isn't on the pitch I don't think anyone has a decent free kick on them.

be nice to just wheel him on American football style for the set pieces. keep him wrapped up nice and warm the rest of the time not to hurt his poor hammy's

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 22 Apr 2021 16:38

Hound , the absolutely pointless passing it around at the back is relevant to the opportunities to make penetrative passes . There is far less opportunities to make those passes because we haven’t played the ball through any of the opposing players . The way to get to the opposing goal is to play the ball is to move the ball accurately at pace through the opposition . Surely . Not pose on the ball .

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Apr 2021 16:38

Hound
Hendo
Coppells Lost Coat

be nice to just wheel him on American football style for the set pieces. keep him wrapped up nice and warm the rest of the time not to hurt his poor hammy's

If you could do that, we'd have kept Harte :wink: or maybe even Caskey!

Would certainly be something a bit different!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Apr 2021 16:41

Once upon a time . Hound , the absolutely pointless passing it around at the back is relevant to the opportunities to make penetrative passes . There is far less opportunities to make those passes because we haven’t played the ball through any of the opposing players . The way to get to the opposing goal is to play the ball is to move the ball accurately at pace through the opposition . Surely . Not pose on the ball .

I just dont think we do pose on the ball though. We normally do break the first line of the press and did regularly last night.

Agree with the poster above that we managed that a number of times, then got stuck in the middle of the field.

We did pass it round the defenders a fair bit on half way - but as I alluded to, that was more due to lack of imagination up front than any planned tactic imo. Its certainly not Stam ball

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 22 Apr 2021 16:57

No , it’s not Stam ball . That was unwatchable ! But what does it achieve , when we could , and I say should be making progress .

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2021 17:15

The issue for me, as it has been for an eternity, and I think it was papes who first opened my eyes to this, is we're just not very good at the change of pace and it's that which wins you games.

There is a time for slow careful possession, but everyone has to be on the look out for the opportunity to suddenly change the game and up the tempo. We had this more early on in the season. And particularly from Rino and Laurent sitting deeper and occasionally driving through and opening space. Now they play quite advanced a lot and we've just added 4 more bodies to the slow congested 15 yards around their box.

But too many players aren't looking or are too slow to move the ball on, Ejaria is absolutely criminal for this. Which means runs are missed. Which means attackers don't know when to run and get fed up of being caught offside from a delayed ball or just being ignored, or missed. Which means the creators are stuck playing slowly with no runs to change it up.

This is where Olise is really good. He does see the runs and he does try to find them. Recently he's been a bit wayward. He will also move up through the gears and plays on his toes ready to drive forward.

Ejaria just plays too slowly and tries too much at the wrong time. He'll take on three defenders around the box, but he won't take on one player when we've got a 3 on 2 breakaway. Instead he slows down, they get back and his ball is eventually to the centre circle.

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 22 Apr 2021 17:44

Have to agree on the Ejaria criticism.

It is too often painful to watch. The skill he has with the ball at his feet is superb, but it's no good if you turn a player inside out but then turn in so many circles that you have to take him on again. I've lost count of the number of times that he has taken the ball in a promising position and just has so much confidence in his footwork that he runs into tackles, or runs the ball out of touch under pressure. Attack after attack wasted.

IMO Pauno has criminally under utilised Aluko (and to a lesser extent Baldock) who we are all moaning about as bloating the wages of the squad. These guys are gagging for minutes and show some real urgency and endeavour to reach the by-line in the 5 minutes they are given each week. Aluko in particular put in some superb performances earlier in the year but Pauno has continued to persist with Ejaria/Olise/Meite in the last few months and it just hasn't been working.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2021 18:18

I'm hopeful that if the right person can get in Ejaria's ear he can come good. But until he learns to be more direct and not get tangled in knots he's going to be a talented disappointment who doesn't deliver as much as he should.

He also never looks happy or up for it. Seems to have a permanent sulk on, but hopefully it's just resting bitch face.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Apr 2021 19:21

Ejaria mystifies me when it comes to shooting.
He doesn't seem to possess any kind of powerful shot. The shots that do go in tend to be be deflected but there is hardly any power on them.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Apr 2021 19:30

URZZZZ
Westwood52
URZZZZ Back seven did OK - aren’t conceding many and a clean sheet away from home is always a positive. As usual - would like to see more offensively from Yiadom and Richards but their main task is to defend well and they both did so

Front four were embarrassing - Olise and Puscas in particular, neither got hold of anything. Ejaria worked hard but really doesn’t offer enough and Meite hasn’t been the same since his latest injury (although in his defence he’s pretty much the only one still scoring)

Rafael - 6

Yiadom - 6
Holmes - 8
Moore - 7
Richards - 6

Laurent - 7
Rinomhota - 6

Meite - 4
Olise - 3
Ejaria - 4

Puscas - 3

Subs - 5

Olise too low ;Holmes and Moore too high.Don’t forget Holmes passing never hit a target and he was put on his bottom a couple times last night but Adebayo.He Will however get better and better.

Olise lost the ball 4/5 times then just stood still - unacceptable at any age

His attitude was awful last night. On one occasion he lost control of the ball and just stood watching his opponent run past him. Meite and Puscas were very poor. Ejaria very disappointing.
I’m ready for the end of the season

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Apr 2021 19:32

Ascotexgunner Ejaria mystifies me when it comes to shooting.
He doesn't seem to possess any kind of powerful shot. The shots that do go in tend to be be deflected but there is hardly any power on them.

Yeah that is weird. It’s also very surprising that he never gets fouled in the penalty box. With all his skill it’s odd he doesn’t get brought down.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 22 Apr 2021 19:36

Zammo I'm still fuming about last night. What a joke performance. Only player who wanted it was Tom Holmes.

All the shite and clap trap on this thread.
Zammo sums it up perfectly

Simply pathetic with no sense of urgency.
The blame lines purely on the managers doorstep.
That performance and the previous games when in our hands are totally unacceptable. No matter what last seasons struggles were.

I could take losing when giving it a go. No problem at all with that. But the commitment last night, was WTF!
Then Pauno comes out with an absolute diatribe of waffle to top it off.
Totally unconvinced with him, his tactics, game plan and substitutions.

Sorry if that upsets a number of you. But having been a fan since the days of Gordon Cummings, Ollie Kearns, Richie Bowman,, Steve Death etc. The div 4 side put more effort in than that over paid pathetic bunch and the supposed leader.
End of rant.
See you next season :roll:

378 posts