Pauno out

3542 posts
Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pauno out

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Nov 2021 12:12

Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal He's doing a bad job and we would absolutely not be on promotion form without injuries.

We started the season badly with relatively few and our one good spell came with plenty.

In the first game against Stoke we named a bench of only 5 players, Meite was already confirmed out for most of the season, no senior left back and then Joao picked up his injury the next game against Preston.

We've had an injury crisis since the start of the season and it takes some serious wilful ignorance to see it as anything different.

We had injuries, but we also had new signings coming / waiting to step in. Hal, Dann, Rahman, Drinkwater etc.

Doesn’t change the fact our form has very clearly not been dependent on injuries. We had loads when we were getting results. So it's wilfully ignorant to claim if we didn't have injuries we'd be on promotion form.

Of course its been dependant on injuries. The players playing twice a week got knackered after the good run and form dipped. Against Blackpool they made 5 changes from the previous weekend and their manager mentioned it after the game. If you looked at opposition team sheets you'd see the sides with fewer injuries have regularly made 4 or 5 changes in midweek which we haven't been able to do. Makes a huge difference in a 46 game season with all the international breaks which compress the fixture list.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2021 10:28

I think Pauno is as good as we could want in our circumstances. He's not a master tactician or great with subs, but he's a brilliant motivator and knows how to get a group to gel. It's why we have normally seen a reaction to poor performances under him.

You can see that he's used our situation to create a real siege mentality within the squad, which should see us pull away from the bottom comfortably.

I think he's better suited to the circumstances than recent tactical managers like Clarke and Clement, let alone poundshop visionary Stam.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2021 11:05

Its why I think I'm very on the fence about him - some things he seems to do brilliantly - the spirit in the squad seems good, he genuinely seems well liked, clearly works hard and is passionate, and when things go well on the pitch, he looks like he has everything in place

But then you get games like Sheff U, Derby, Huddersfield, Peterborough first half where we look utterly clueless.

I like the guy but genuinely don't know what to think of his abilities

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2021 12:20

That seems fair Hound...

The poor performance reactions often take quite a while to materialise too, when you look at our runs of defeats.

If he can just learn a few lessons and adapt his approach a bit he could be worth an extension more than a sacking.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Dec 2021 16:28

He has to go

Pauno out

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 04 Dec 2021 16:31

SouthDownsRoyal He has to go

Pauno out

But its 1-1?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Dec 2021 16:32

Donny Ironside

Pauno out

But its 1-1?

Throwing away a lead, enough is enough

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 04 Dec 2021 17:03

SouthDownsRoyal
Donny Ironside

Pauno out

But its 1-1?

:|

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Dec 2021 10:08

Hound Its why I think I'm very on the fence about him - some things he seems to do brilliantly - the spirit in the squad seems good, he genuinely seems well liked, clearly works hard and is passionate, and when things go well on the pitch, he looks like he has everything in place

But then you get games like Sheff U, Derby, Huddersfield, Peterborough first half where we look utterly clueless.

If this club is ever in a position to seriously compete for promotion again (as in, having expectations and a squad to last the duration of a season) I think it would be beyond him as his weaknesses would cost us in key games.

But while the club is in crisis or rebuilding mode, I trust him to pick up enough points to survive comfortably, create a good atmosphere fans can relate to and give academy products a chance. What more do we want right now?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Dec 2021 11:43

Hound Its why I think I'm very on the fence about him - some things he seems to do brilliantly - the spirit in the squad seems good, he genuinely seems well liked, clearly works hard and is passionate, and when things go well on the pitch, he looks like he has everything in place

You can add Bristol City to the list of woeful performances but entirely get where you’re coming from. He comes across as a likeable guy so I hope he can succeed. We appear to be slowly edging out of danger and as long as that continues it’s enough for me. The worry is that we do hit some very poor patches under him and if that happens again we will be in deep trouble. If it looks like he is taking us down he has to go.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Dec 2021 12:40

SouthDownsRoyal
Donny Ironside

Pauno out

But its 1-1?

Yeah, what an awful manager he is. Wouldn't have happened had he not listened to the fans/used his own judgement to keep Southwood in ahead of Rafael. Maybe he was also at fault for not subbing Southwood after he hit his head on the post! And he clearly hadn't paid the ref enough before the game.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Dec 2021 14:38

RoyalBlue
SouthDownsRoyal
Donny Ironside But its 1-1?

Yeah, what an awful manager he is. Wouldn't have happened had he not listened to the fans/used his own judgement to keep Southwood in ahead of Rafael. Maybe he was also at fault for not subbing Southwood after he hit his head on the post! And he clearly hadn't paid the ref enough before the game.

Er, what fans wanted Southwood dropped?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Dec 2021 17:03

2 wins in 10,
21st in the league
Two points above the dotted line

He’s got to go

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 11 Dec 2021 17:13

Brogue 2 wins in 10,
21st in the league

He’s got to go

What did he do wrong today?

We have an insane number of injuries. Sack the medical/fitness team before anyone else. WTF are they doing!!!!???

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Dec 2021 17:24

Jagermesiter1871
Brogue 2 wins in 10,
21st in the league

He’s got to go

We have an insane number of injuries. Sack the medical/fitness team before anyone else. WTF are they doing!!!!???

I have no idea what our medical team are doing.Players taking forever to return from injuries and more soft injuries than other clubs. This is not just about bad luck with impact injuries. It’s bloody constant.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Dec 2021 17:30

Its certainly getting to the point when you do start to think that refreshing the whole medical staff might be a better idea than replacing the coaching staff. Embarrassing number of injuries again, and they are generally soft tissue/players not coming back when due now

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Dec 2021 17:36

I think the same. Whoever is the teams nutritionist and the physios should be replaced in my view.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Dec 2021 17:36

Ok so his interview has just sealed it. Apparently we were dangerous on the counter attack in the first half. And we deserved more from the game. :shock:

The man is delirious.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Dec 2021 19:10

Royal_jimmy I think the same. Whoever is the teams nutritionist and the physios should be replaced in my view.
what’s Jon Fearn up to these days?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Dec 2021 19:35

Zip
Jagermesiter1871
Brogue 2 wins in 10,
21st in the league

He’s got to go

I have no idea what our medical team are doing.Players taking forever to return from injuries and more soft injuries than other clubs. This is not just about bad luck with impact injuries. It’s bloody constant.

Nothing to do with the number of minutes our players are having to play compared to those at other clubs then? Added to the fact that the appalling lack of depth in our squad means players are being brought back earlier than ideal.

3542 posts