Pauno out

3542 posts
Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pauno out

by Donny Ironside » 13 Sep 2021 09:10

The thing is here, will we actually improve with Moore gone? If we get money for him can we invest it into a decent enough CB????????????

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2021 09:12

Donny Ironside The thing is here, will we actually improve with Moore gone? If we get money for him can we invest it into a decent enough CB????????????

Yes, because Holmes and McIntyre are already better

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 13 Sep 2021 09:17

Snowflake Royal
Donny Ironside The thing is here, will we actually improve with Moore gone? If we get money for him can we invest it into a decent enough CB????????????

Yes, because Holmes and McIntyre are already better

This is true.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Sep 2021 09:23

Unfortunately nobody is going to pay us to take Moore off our hands. He is on big money until June 2023. The best we can hope for is a loan deal where a club pays his wages.

The defence have been awful but they are not being helped by our midfield. On Saturday Halilovic was at fault in the lead up to the equaliser and Ejaria should have made a lot more effort prior to the second.

I think Pauno was as much at fault for the outcome on Saturday. He left it so late to bring on subs. Ejaria was out in his feet. It was his first game this season. Why not make other subs apart from Holmes?

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 13 Sep 2021 09:30

Zip

Unfortunately nobody is going to pay us to take Moore off our hands. He is on big money until June 2023. The best we can hope for is a loan deal where a club pays his wages.

The defence have been awful but they are not being helped by our midfield. On Saturday Halilovic was at fault in the lead up to the equaliser and Ejaria should have made a lot more effort prior to the second.

I think Pauno was as much at fault for the outcome on Saturday. He left it so late to bring on subs. Ejaria was out in his feet. It was his first game this season. Why not make other subs apart from Holmes?

I think this season has shown that Pauno is evidently clueless and tactically inept.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 13 Sep 2021 10:27

Important game tomorrow, I think we win it. Hope so.

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 13 Sep 2021 10:30

TBH, I'm edging towards this camp now.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Sep 2021 10:43

BBC Berks kept going on about the defensive issues being down to the players being told to use zonal marking and not adapting well to it, Adie Williams said back in his day they would have agreed to ignore the manager and go man for man marking, he suggested maybe there wasn't anyone in the dressing room brave enough to speak to the manager and suggest they change to man on man marking and see if that improves results.

My fear is the manager may be too stuck in his ways to change, which we've seen before with Rogers. When we're in the relegation places, regardless of what stage of the season it is the priority has to be getting results, even if that means not playing the game the way you want to see it being played.

The manager got the defensive tactics wrong and made the wrong substitution taking Puscas off, If we get 3 points against Peterborough he's bought himself a couple of games to show us he's recogniszed where the issues are and has implemented tactical changes. If we lose, then he's on borrowed time as he is apparently the longest service manager under the current owners.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 13 Sep 2021 11:46

Forbury Lion BBC Berks kept going on about the defensive issues being down to the players being told to use zonal marking and not adapting well to it, Adie Williams said back in his day they would have agreed to ignore the manager and go man for man marking, he suggested maybe there wasn't anyone in the dressing room brave enough to speak to the manager and suggest they change to man on man marking and see if that improves results.

My fear is the manager may be too stuck in his ways to change, which we've seen before with Rogers. When we're in the relegation places, regardless of what stage of the season it is the priority has to be getting results, even if that means not playing the game the way you want to see it being played.

The manager got the defensive tactics wrong and made the wrong substitution taking Puscas off, If we get 3 points against Peterborough he's bought himself a couple of games to show us he's recogniszed where the issues are and has implemented tactical changes. If we lose, then he's on borrowed time as he is apparently the longest service manager under the current owners.

What happens if we draw?
The most ridiculous thing about his substitution was that Puscas was having a great game and dragging defenders all over the place. Bonkers.
Personally a draw isn't good enough....the owners may need to pull the trigger....I just hope there is a replacement available/ in mind though first....

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Sep 2021 12:03

Forbury Lion BBC Berks kept going on about the defensive issues being down to the players being told to use zonal marking and not adapting well to it, Adie Williams said back in his day they would have agreed to ignore the manager and go man for man marking, he suggested maybe there wasn't anyone in the dressing room brave enough to speak to the manager and suggest they change to man on man marking and see if that improves results.

Then Williams is an idiot. The first goal was from a set piece where we were (poorly) man marking and the second two were from open play, where man marking is extremely rare. The zonal marking worked exactly as intended.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2021 12:19

Donny Ironside
Zip

I think this season has shown that Pauno is evidently clueless and tactically inept.

Just looks at his bench and ignores it because it's youthful. Well at least the younger players might be looking to prove something and put some work in to chase around and challenge.

If you aren’t prepared to put the player on the pitch, don't put them on the bench.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Sep 2021 12:21

Snowflake Royal
Donny Ironside
Zip

Just looks at his bench and ignores it because it's youthful. Well at least the younger players might be looking to prove something and put some work in to chase around and challenge.

If you aren’t prepared to put the player on the pitch, don't put them on the bench.

Will be jokes when Holmes is the only player named on the bench on Tuesday.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2021 12:24

SCIAG

Then Williams is an idiot. The first goal was from a set piece where we were (poorly) man marking and the second two were from open play, where man marking is extremely rare. The zonal marking worked exactly as intended.

Sorry SCIAG, you're normally fairly reliable, but how you think standing in a line picking up no one is man marking is beyond me.

Once again, we set up zones and the opposition just go beyond us and hit it back in to be scored whilst we're standing around looking confused and disorganised because no one knows who should be picking up who.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 13 Sep 2021 12:25

the original post I made when starting this thread

"No plan b
Questionable starting lineups/ formations
Poor subs

1 win in 8

Time to go get a proven championship manager in"

Nothing has changed other than 2 wins in 17. He hasn't learnt, all of the above is still relevant today.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2021 12:28

Double post.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 13 Sep 2021 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 13 Sep 2021 12:28

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG

Sorry SCIAG, you're normally fairly reliable, but how you think standing in a line picking up no one is man marking is beyond me.

Once again, we set up zones and the opposition just go beyond us and hit it back in to be scored whilst we're standing around looking confused and disorganised because no one knows who should be picking up who.

Ady Williams 436 club appearances & 13 international appearances > SCIAG 0&0

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2021 12:31

Brogue the original post I made when starting this thread

"No plan b
Questionable starting lineups/ formations
Poor subs

1 win in 8

Time to go get a proven championship manager in"

Nothing has changed other than 2 wins in 17. He hasn't learnt, all of the above is still relevant today.

And the only proven Championship manager we could get would be a proven failure.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Sep 2021 12:48

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG

Wouldn’t claim to know the ins and outs of the zonal/man marking system but let’s not think a ‘zonal’ system or one we play (which looks like a bit of both to me) means you just choose an area and stand in it

The guy who headed it back just wasn’t picked up. It was ludicrously simple. Whatever system we are supposed to be playing, the organisation wasn’t there or someone wasn’t doing their job (watching again I’m guessing Laurent - who is one of our best in the air and who was left in absolute no mans land marking nobody outside the box. Freezing it after about 3 secs suggests very much we were man-marking. Just doing a shit job of it)
Last edited by Hound on 13 Sep 2021 12:56, edited 2 times in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Sep 2021 12:50

Brogue
Snowflake Royal
SCIAG Then Williams is an idiot. The first goal was from a set piece where we were (poorly) man marking and the second two were from open play, where man marking is extremely rare. The zonal marking worked exactly as intended.

Ady Williams 436 club appearances & 13 international appearances > SCIAG 0&0

Think it’s quite a big mistake to think any ex-pro automatically knows what they are talking about mind you. The games moved on considerably from when Ady played

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Sep 2021 12:53

It wasn't man marking and it wasn't zonal.

We played a high line to try and catch them offside - the defenders are then able to attack the ball on a similar run to the forwards which should give them a better chance of winning the ball if it is dropped behind.

The problem is, that only works if runners are picked up, as they should be. You look at the CB as he makes his run - Laurent looks at him, sees him go and neither goes with him nor signals to a team mate that he is going. The high line only works if players make one or two blocks on runners and attack the cross.

Again, we only use zonal on corners and even then it is a hybrid form of it. I have a lot of respect for Ady but I believe he is wrong on this one.

3542 posts