Pauno out

3542 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pauno out

by Zip » 23 Apr 2021 13:02

Brogue Not moving the goal posts Gomes was given 38 games before he was sacked. By the end of season it will be 38 games since the run of 8 wins. Gomes took 41 points pauno 46

Bowen was given 40 games and has a better ppg average than pauno in them 40 games and Clement 30 games just shy of paunos ppg

I’m not dismissing the first 8 games at all I’m just going on his last 38 which is comparable to the length of time our previous 3 managers were judged on.

I get that but for me when a manager takes us to a worse point than the previous manager then it’s time to go. It’s why Bowen should not have been sacked and it’s why Pauno should not be dismissed. However talk about giving him another season is naive. It doesn’t work like that. We all know that. If we start badly next season and continue in our current form ie a point a game he will be gone in the Autumn.

It all depends on the summer transfer dealings. We really need to do a lot better in the loan market for a start. If we get that if right and also bring in a suitable option to Joao we can improve again on this season. We have improved our League position in successive seasons. Do so again next season and will be right up there.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Apr 2021 13:03

Hound
Brogue Not moving the goal posts Gomes was given 38 games before he was sacked. By the end of season it will be 38 games since the run of 8 wins. Gomes took 41 points pauno 46

Bowen was given 40 games and has a better ppg average than pauno in them 40 games and Clement 30 games just shy of paunos ppg

I’m not dismissing the first 8 games at all I’m just going on his last 38 which is comparable to the length of time our previous 3 managers were judged on.

So you’re not only selecting certain data to make a point, you’ve also decided we’ll lose our last 3 to drive home that point?

not really certain data, im taking the last 38 games :| and you have seen who our last three games are against haven't you :?:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Apr 2021 13:07

Brogue
Hound

So you’re not only selecting certain data to make a point, you’ve also decided we’ll lose our last 3 to drive home that point?

not really certain data, im taking the last 38 games :| and you have seen who our last three games are against haven't you :?:

I have

A team 17th in the form table - with their best player injured
A team 16th in the form table (22nd away best record in the league with only 4 wins and 5 draws in 21 games)
Norwich away (but the same Norwich who have lost their last two home games, and are probably now on the beach)

So I very much doubt we'll get 0 points from those 3

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Apr 2021 13:07

Brogue
Hound

The last 38 games, we'd be 8th on 55 points :|

Last 3 games:

Swansea - 7 points from last 5 games
Norwich - 7 points from last 5 games
Huddersfield - 4 points from last 5 games

Reading - 6 points from last 5 games.

4 teams not in great form =/= automatic losses.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Apr 2021 13:43

Brogue
Hound

we've lost 2 of our last 11. Doesn't suggest we'll then lose our last 3

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Apr 2021 13:46

i guess we shall just have to wait and see then won't we. i wont be holding my breath though

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Apr 2021 13:48

I guess if we pick up 9 points from the last 3, they really should be removed from any comparison as well, as they’d be “freak” seeing as it’s already been decided we are getting 0-1 points.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2021 14:54

Sorry, you just can't drop the 8 opening games and ignore the equally unusual 4 straight defeats run - that 12 games is a package. The unusual start and the correction. After that 46 in 31 - so a 68pt season (which may improve/fall over the next fortnight) - so essentially if you discount that 12 game opening, we would be pretty much in the same position.

It's a different situation for VP compared to any other manager though isn't it compared to any manager over the past few years. When a team starts like we did, the one thing you become is a target. The team everyone wants to beat and arguably sides raise their game. As many have mentioned, mentally the squad is not quite there - probably mainly as a result of seasons of struggle and constant manager change. He took a team expected to struggle (or at best be around mid-table) and has made them into a solid top 8 team - any previous manager has taken them from a team expected to struggle, to one that did but less than expected to an adequate mid-table side.

He also has a much smaller squad to play with, one that has been gutted by injury pretty much throughout the season so that we have been at bare bones for most of it. Lost count of the amount of times that many on here have bemoaned the fact that we "only" had Baldock and Aluko on the bench plus kids - now most of those are using the fact that those 2 weren't used more as a stick to hit Paunovic with.

The owners may think differently but given we are going to lose some of this small squad either through sales (fees may be a lot lower than from a year or two back) or contracts expiring, we don't really have the funds to pay off a manager and expect him to turn 7th into 6th or better with whatever cash we are able to reinvest in the summer.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Apr 2021 14:56

Brogue i guess we shall just have to wait and see then won't we. i wont be holding my breath though

PLease do

:wink:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2021 15:01

Zip

I get that but for me when a manager takes us to a worse point than the previous manager then it’s time to go. It’s why Bowen should not have been sacked and it’s why Pauno should not be dismissed. However talk about giving him another season is naive. It doesn’t work like that. We all know that. If we start badly next season and continue in our current form ie a point a game he will be gone in the Autumn.

It all depends on the summer transfer dealings. We really need to do a lot better in the loan market for a start. If we get that if right and also bring in a suitable option to Joao we can improve again on this season. We have improved our League position in successive seasons. Do so again next season and will be right up there.

I'm pretty sure when anyone is talking about giving him another season, then that means let him plan and start the season with a squad that he has been able to put together (within the constraints he may have) - naturally, if we are stuck in the bottom 3 come October/November then I doubt anyone would be surprised or particularly upset if he went.

But for now, he deserves the chance to actually have a pre-season and structure a team without the relentless grind this shortened season has been.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2021 15:23

Hendo I guess if we pick up 9 points from the last 3, they really should be removed from any comparison as well, as they’d be “freak” seeing as it’s already been decided we are getting 0-1 points.

Yep, and we definitely need to remove Bournemouths freaky 7 straight wins and Barnsley's 8.

For the most part the teams at the top this year are there because of one very good run and picking up points around that:

Best run for each top 7 side:

Norwich 29/33
Watford 30/33
Bournemouth 21/21*
Swansea 23/27
Brentford 25/27
Barnsley 28/30
Reading - 22/24

So yes we had a good run at the start but everyone above us has had a slightly better run (*Bournemouth's still going), just at different times in the season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Apr 2021 15:29

Stranded
Zip

I'm pretty sure when anyone is talking about giving him another season, then that means let him plan and start the season with a squad that he has been able to put together (within the constraints he may have) - naturally, if we are stuck in the bottom 3 come October/November then I doubt anyone would be surprised or particularly upset if he went.

But for now, he deserves the chance to actually have a pre-season and structure a team without the relentless grind this shortened season has been.

Yep and this is absolutely what I am suggesting. He didn’t have the summer to prepare last season. It might just make the difference this time around.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 23 Apr 2021 15:45

Why remove the first eight games?

Can we remove eight games we didn’t win?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2021 16:28

The quality has really disappeared with Woodley's name change.

Was alright for a goodly while before that after a troubled start.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Apr 2021 16:43

:| ffs im not saying disregard the first 8 games :roll: I'm saying since then our form and points collected is close to relegation form. It's not unusual to use a certain set of fixtures to judge how well a team is doing. you always see stats like team x havent won in x number of games or team y hasn't won a game this year. what have the first 8 games got to do with anything. in the last 38 games we have amassed 46 points that's the point. for 3/4 of the season we have been running at just about relegation form. :|

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Apr 2021 16:47

Brogue :| ffs im not saying disregard the first 8 games :roll: I'm saying since then our form and points collected is close to relegation form. It's not unusual to use a certain set of fixtures to judge how well a team is doing. you always see stats like team x havent won in x number of games or team y hasn't won a game this year. what have the first 8 games got to do with anything. in the last 38 games we have amassed 46 points that the point. for 3/4 of the season we have been running at just about relegation form. :|

But it just isn't though. If you take the first 8 games off. We have 46 points from 35 games, which would put us 10th.

Also, stop using 38 games, as the last 38 games would have us 8th on 55 points.

If you're going to consider that we get 0 points from the next 3 games, I'm going to consider we get 9 points from 3 games (because it is just as likely to happen) which would put us on 55 points from the 38 games after the first 8 which would be no where near relegation form.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Apr 2021 16:49

Hendo
Brogue :| ffs im not saying disregard the first 8 games :roll: I'm saying since then our form and points collected is close to relegation form. It's not unusual to use a certain set of fixtures to judge how well a team is doing. you always see stats like team x havent won in x number of games or team y hasn't won a game this year. what have the first 8 games got to do with anything. in the last 38 games we have amassed 46 points that the point. for 3/4 of the season we have been running at just about relegation form. :|

But it just isn't though. If you take the first 8 games off. We have 46 points from 35 games, which would put us 10th.

im on about form, ppg 46 points from 35 games (soon to be 38 games come the end of the season :D ) is just above relegation form

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Apr 2021 16:52

Brogue
Hendo

im on about form, ppg 46 points from 35 games (soon to be 38 games come the end of the season :D ) is just above relegation form

I'd like to know the last team and how many relegated teams have finished on 60/61 points.

46 from 35 is 1.31ppg over the course of a 46 game season = 60.45

EDIT - for example, last season, that would've put us 13th. 12 points above the drop and 10 points off the play offs.
Last edited by Hendo on 23 Apr 2021 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Apr 2021 16:53

Hendo
Brogue
Hendo

I'd like to know the last team and how many relegated teams have finished on 60/61 points.

and 46 from 38 is 1.2 which is 55 points which is just above relegation form.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Apr 2021 16:54

Brogue
Hendo
Brogue

and 46 from 38 is 1.2 which is 55 points which is just above relegation form.

But we haven't got 46 from 38, we have 55 from 38 which is 1.45 = 67 point season.

3542 posts