Pauno out

3542 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pauno out

by morganb » 22 Apr 2021 12:31

Millsy OK, so thus far most of us seem to be saying ludicrous that he should go, but there is likely some disagreement as to whether he should next season if not good enough, so let me ask people to stick their necks out....

IF

A) there are no huge unexpected changes in personnel (i.e. perhaps Richards goes but we get a step in) or Olise but we have Swift back from injury

AND

B) come Xmas we're 16th or below with uninspiring hit and miss performances much like we've come to expect since the Magic 8

AND

c) there is a viable alternative option

would you be Pauno IN or Pauno OUT?

Taking all of the above into account, and knowing our owners, they would probably sack him at this point anyway regardless of what us fans thought.

Three of the current top 6 have different managers now to at the start of the season (Watford and Bournemouth sacked their previous managers as soon as results took an ever so slight turn for the worse) while the other three have the same manager (probably as they've been doing ok all season). Two of the bottom three are unchanged.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2021 12:33

Manager should only be sacked if he's taking us into a doomed looking relegation fight and that isn't expected.

Or

He's had at least 2 full seasons, preferably 3, without clear progress.

Fin

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Apr 2021 12:41

Snowflake Royal Manager should only be sacked if he's taking us into a doomed looking relegation fight and that isn't expected.

Or

Fin

Pretty much how I see it too. If we'd sacked managers as easily as some would have like, Coppell would definitely have gone long before the 05/06 season.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Apr 2021 12:44

morganb
Millsy OK, so thus far most of us seem to be saying ludicrous that he should go, but there is likely some disagreement as to whether he should next season if not good enough, so let me ask people to stick their necks out....

IF

A) there are no huge unexpected changes in personnel (i.e. perhaps Richards goes but we get a step in) or Olise but we have Swift back from injury

AND

B) come Xmas we're 16th or below with uninspiring hit and miss performances much like we've come to expect since the Magic 8

AND

Taking all of the above into account, and knowing our owners, they would probably sack him at this point anyway regardless of what us fans thought.

Three of the current top 6 have different managers now to at the start of the season (Watford and Bournemouth sacked their previous managers as soon as results took an ever so slight turn for the worse) while the other three have the same manager (probably as they've been doing ok all season). Two of the bottom three are unchanged.

Agreed, well said, but my Q is what would YOU call for?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Apr 2021 12:47

tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal Manager should only be sacked if he's taking us into a doomed looking relegation fight and that isn't expected.

Or

Fin

Pretty much how I see it too. If we'd sacked managers as easily as some would have like, Coppell would definitely have gone long before the 05/06 season.

More money in the game now - higher pressures to hit the top quicker

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2021 12:50

URZZZZ
tidus_mi2

Or

Fin

More money in the game now - higher pressures to hit the top quicker

Shouldn't make a difference. Because consistently getting it wrong leads to even bigger disaster.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 22 Apr 2021 12:54

Millsy
morganb

IF

AND

AND

Agreed, well said, but my Q is what would YOU call for?

Me?

Taking in all of the above:

Pauno OUT!

The players are good enough but not performing/being coached properly, I'm bored of insipid performances and I want instant success (I blame the internet for this). The viable option (viable as in has Championship experience) should be brought in to give the squad a kick up the arse (our managers are too nice, just like the team).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Apr 2021 13:44

Snowball There IS a reason why we have to separate out the first eight games. We played a totally different way. Pauno lost his nerve, we became more expansive and showed we DIDN’T have a fantastic defense, so we slipped to being a mid-table team with a couple of stars who scored individual goals to elevate us to about 10th (7th because of the start)

We've actually played quite like that again recently tbh. We've just missed the individual goals/great conversion.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Apr 2021 13:46

tidus_mi2

Or

Fin

The difference is Coppell had an astonishingly good record so we knew we could keep the faith as some of us were arguing on here before he even joined. 8)

The Owners have only chopped and changed nobody noobs. Stam, Gomes, Bowen, Pauno with respect were all nobody noobs.

I supported Burns and Adkins for much longer because they had some record behind them, but I'd be less inclined to support a noob longterm. Ok so Burns and Adkins didn't work out too well but it's more acceptable.

If Owners are looking for the next Parj or FSB they probably need evidence of success more quickly. That's what I'd like to see.

Having said that, we did let go of Brenda too soon.... then again some of us were against that as we could see the promise.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2021 13:48

Millsy
tidus_mi2

Or

Fin

The difference is Coppell had an astonishingly good record so we knew we could keep the faith as some of us were arguing on here before he even joined. 8)

The Owners have only chopped and changed nobody noobs. Stam, Gomes, Bowen, Pauno with respect were all nobody noobs.

I supported Burns and Adkins for much longer because they had some record behind them, but I'd be less inclined to support a noob longterm. Ok so Burns and Adkins didn't work out too well but it's more acceptable.

If Owners are looking for the next Parj or FSB they probably need evidence of success more quickly. That's what I'd like to see.

Having said that, we did let go of Brenda too soon.

You sure about Coppell's astonishingly good record?

I don't think you're even remotely right about that for 2004/05 or 2003/04.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Apr 2021 14:20

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
tidus_mi2 Pretty much how I see it too. If we'd sacked managers as easily as some would have like, Coppell would definitely have gone long before the 05/06 season.

Having said that, we did let go of Brenda too soon.

You sure about Coppell's astonishingly good record?

I don't think you're even remotely right about that for 2004/05 or 2003/04.

His record BEFORE he joined.

I battled long and hard here (possibly even with you) before he joined and his early days saying he'd come good based on previous record and elements of that brilliance evident even before 106.

I'm not being too smug though because the point is you can give someone more of a pass if they've actually done something before. Pauno doesn't have that luxury OR perhaps actually he does after this good season... that's the discussion.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Apr 2021 16:19

Sanguine
Zip
Sanguine
He's had a season. We'll likely finish 7th, having comfortably finished bottom half for the last three years. And he gets until the autumn? Dear me.

What are you banging on about again. Gomes did a great job keeping us up but was then sacked in the Autumn after a poor start to the following season. That’s what happens in football. If we start poorly next season after a poor end to this season Pauno will be gone. Pipe down.

You have a bizarre attitude. Just told someone to 'pipe down' for having a view. I must have misunderstood. I directed my response directly at you because you seemed to be of the view that he should have no more than the autumn. Your subsequent post suggests 'that's just football'.

Which is it? To give me a fair shot. Is it your view, or that of football in general? Either way, it's a ridiculous point of view.

Pointless debating with you. Such an arrogant know it all.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 22 Apr 2021 16:53

No Just No, we cant keep chopping and changing, we have at best a mid-table squad which he has moulded something atleast half decent this season.
lets be clear this is virtually the same squad that the last 2 managers have failed with and youth added. even if he managed mid table next season I would persevere. it takes time to build a managers vision and you cant nessassarily do that with the players you inherit. I hope he gets a chance to sign a few players that fit his system and keep bringing on the youth.

Unfortunately we are not the owners and he will probably be sacked by October due to lack of long term vision. we will end up like Forest, boro etc bumping 4 managers a season if they don't win at least 80% of there games.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 22 Apr 2021 17:01

Or bring in Ian Holloway atleast the manager bits would be good on quest. anything is better than Bielsas puppet on MOTD.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2021 17:06

Zip
Sanguine
Zip
What are you banging on about again. Gomes did a great job keeping us up but was then sacked in the Autumn after a poor start to the following season. That’s what happens in football. If we start poorly next season after a poor end to this season Pauno will be gone. Pipe down.

You have a bizarre attitude. Just told someone to 'pipe down' for having a view. I must have misunderstood. I directed my response directly at you because you seemed to be of the view that he should have no more than the autumn. Your subsequent post suggests 'that's just football'.

Which is it? To give me a fair shot. Is it your view, or that of football in general? Either way, it's a ridiculous point of view.

Sangers is cool zip.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Apr 2021 17:16

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Sanguine

Sangers is cool zip.

All I see is Zip repeatedly throwing his toys around when challenged on a point of view.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Apr 2021 17:20

Or

Fin

or some form of gross misconduct making his or her position untenable.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2021 17:21

Forbury Lion

Or

Fin

or some form of gross misconduct making his or her position untenable.

Or their.

I'll stick to his until there's actually an alternative in the game.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Apr 2021 17:25

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Sanguine

Sangers is cool zip.

He really isnt

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Apr 2021 17:26

Sanguine
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Sangers is cool zip.

All I see is Zip repeatedly throwing his toys around when challenged on a point of view.

It’s the way you go about it. If you call someone else’s view ridiculous don’t expect them to take what you have to say seriously.

3542 posts