Lol, you're quite similar.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pauno out

by leon » 22 Apr 2021 17:29

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Sanguine
You have a bizarre attitude. Just told someone to 'pipe down' for having a view. I must have misunderstood. I directed my response directly at you because you seemed to be of the view that he should have no more than the autumn. Your subsequent post suggests 'that's just football'.

Which is it? To give me a fair shot. Is it your view, or that of football in general? Either way, it's a ridiculous point of view.

Pointless debating with you. Such an arrogant know it all.

Sangers is cool zip.

Ooof. A low blow.

Will Sanguine recover?

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 22 Apr 2021 18:37

Don't want him to go, apart from anything else he hasn't had the chance to manage us in a "normal" season yet, but I've had a feeling for the last couple of months that if we didn't make the Top 6 the owners would sack him.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 22 Apr 2021 18:55

Snowflake Royal
Forbury Lion
Snowflake Royal Manager should only be sacked if he's taking us into a doomed looking relegation fight and that isn't expected.

Or

He's had at least 2 full seasons, preferably 3, without clear progress.

Fin

or some form of gross misconduct making his or her position untenable.

Or their.

I'll stick to his until there's actually an alternative in the game.

There is plenty of "her" managers in the women's game. As the game, in general, also covers them, there is an alternative in the game. (even if you don't agree with Womens Football). Forbury is correct in saying his or hers.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 22 Apr 2021 18:58

The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal
Forbury Lion or some form of gross misconduct making his or her position untenable.

Or their.

There is plenty of "her" managers in the women's game. As the game, in general, also covers them, there is an alternative in the game. (even if you don't agree with Womens Football). Forbury is correct in saying his or hers.

+1

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Apr 2021 19:09

The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal
Forbury Lion or some form of gross misconduct making his or her position untenable.

Or their.

He's welcome to.

Though he's being exclusive to gender neutrals.

And I was only talking about the mens game. So...

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 22 Apr 2021 19:21

Snowflake Royal
The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal Or their.

He's welcome to.

Though he's being exclusive to gender neutrals.

And I was only talking about the mens game. So...

'their' has always been available and it's what I use to be neutral

woman's football is dogshit btw

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 22 Apr 2021 19:22

If one nation had a goalkeeper on par with the men's game...they'd easily win the World Cup

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Apr 2021 19:25

KC Royal Don't want him to go, apart from anything else he hasn't had the chance to manage us in a "normal" season yet, but I've had a feeling for the last couple of months that if we didn't make the Top 6 the owners would sack him.

The owners have no interest in a normal season. There'll just keep on rolling the dice.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Apr 2021 19:52

Lower West
KC Royal Don't want him to go, apart from anything else he hasn't had the chance to manage us in a "normal" season yet, but I've had a feeling for the last couple of months that if we didn't make the Top 6 the owners would sack him.

The owners have no interest in a normal season. There'll just keep on rolling the dice.

Doesn't overly seemed to have hurt Watford. Change managers at least once a season.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 22 Apr 2021 20:02

Kind of a knee-jerk-reaction thread. He obviously did something positive that neither Gomes nor Bowen could accomplish. But he should be questioned about what he's learned and plans to change. It's up to his bosses to ensure he does a good job.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Apr 2021 20:09

PremAddict Kind of a knee-jerk-reaction thread. He obviously did something positive that neither Gomes nor Bowen could accomplish. But he should be questioned about what he's learned and plans to change. It's up to his bosses to ensure he does a good job.

It’s-up to Pauno himself to do a good job. Let’s hope the summer break helps. The squad will be revamped and hopefully he will have learnt a lot from this season.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Apr 2021 08:18

Zip
Sanguine
Snowflake Royal Sangers is cool zip.

All I see is Zip repeatedly throwing his toys around when challenged on a point of view.

It’s the way you go about it. If you call someone else’s view ridiculous don’t expect them to take what you have to say seriously.

It IS ridiculous to be talking about sacking a guy in the autumn who looks likely to see us miss the playoffs by a single place and three or four points. If that's where we are as a club - effectively one and done for any manager, with no real funds to improve the side, then we're done as a 'football club', and are just a business.

It's one thing to say 'if we look like we're going to go down at Xmas....', and another entirely to insist that, on no budget and with Olise and Richards likely to leave in the summer, that any manager maintain a status as promotion contenders. Paunovic has done brilliantly.

If your point is 'well that's football' then I'd agree, but I read it as your personal point of view, and I really can't understand why any fan would advocate his sacking early next season, unless things really are totally (as in Wycombe level) dire.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Apr 2021 08:40

Sanguine
Zip
Sanguine
All I see is Zip repeatedly throwing his toys around when challenged on a point of view.

It’s the way you go about it. If you call someone else’s view ridiculous don’t expect them to take what you have to say seriously.

It IS ridiculous to be talking about sacking a guy in the autumn who looks likely to see us miss the playoffs by a single place and three or four points. If that's where we are as a club - effectively one and done for any manager, with no real funds to improve the side, then we're done as a 'football club', and are just a business.

It's one thing to say 'if we look like we're going to go down at Xmas....', and another entirely to insist that, on no budget and with Olise and Richards likely to leave in the summer, that any manager maintain a status as promotion contenders. Paunovic has done brilliantly.

If your point is 'well that's football' then I'd agree, but I read it as your personal point of view, and I really can't understand why any fan would advocate his sacking early next season, unless things really are totally (as in Wycombe level) dire.

Ok. I disagree. If we continue in our current form through to the Autumn then we will be in or around the bottom three by mid October. We will have gone half a season demonstrating very poor form (11 games at the back end of this season and the first 12 games next season). Very few Reading managers survive that kind of lengthy run of poor form dating back to Rodgers.

I am hoping that the summer gives Pauno the opportunity to freshen the squad and bring in players he needs to play the brand of football he wants us to play but I am concerned with the way things are heading. He has to be more flexible. Sticking with the same players, the same formation and refusing to bring on subs is not working. We also play so narrow and pass for the sake of passing. I am beginning to think teams have sussed us out.
We start games so slowly pretty much every time now. Luton had nothing to play for yet they took the initiative from the start of the game. I found that hard to believe especially when we know how important the first goal is.

So yes he deserves to stay on but I do have misgivings that with this current squad if Joao is off form or injured as we really huff and puff and frankly don’t look like scoring. We certainly cannot start next season playing this lacklustre football. There is no way Dai Yongge would accept it and rightly so imo.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Apr 2021 09:09

I'm not sure we've played that badly recently tbh. A lot has been in context of what we needed, to an extent a few issues have cost us dropped points, mainly due to a lack of form of the front 4 imo (and we know they are all capable of so much more)

We played ok against Cardiff and Luton, not easy games and didnt lose either. Were the better side probably against Barnsley away, which is tough as they come atm. Played well against Watford at times, again very tough game. Beat Derby comfortably enough. Got a half decent point against Forest, played fairly well against a form side at the time in QPR.

The Brum game is the only one we've really stunk the place out - the others weren't especially different to our early season form, just missing chances instead of scoring them.

Obviously we needed more than we got against those teams, but not one of them really outplayed us or anything like that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2021 09:29

Hound I'm not sure we've played that badly recently tbh. A lot has been in context of what we needed, to an extent a few issues have cost us dropped points, mainly due to a lack of form of the front 4 imo (and we know they are all capable of so much more)

We played ok against Cardiff and Luton, not easy games and didnt lose either. Were the better side probably against Barnsley away, which is tough as they come atm. Played well against Watford at times, again very tough game. Beat Derby comfortably enough. Got a half decent point against Forest, played fairly well against a form side at the time in QPR.

The Brum game is the only one we've really stunk the place out - the others weren't especially different to our early season form, just missing chances instead of scoring them.

Obviously we needed more than we got against those teams, but not one of them really outplayed us or anything like that.

That's the thing, whilst it is disappointing that baring a minor miracle we are done with regards to the play-offs - it really is small margins.

We are going to drop out because of a massive run of defeats, we've just really failed to turn draws into wins.

As the majority view is the Wycombe defeat was a massive turning point, that is 12 games back - our record including that is:

W4 D5 L3

Now 3 defeats, one of which was that Wycombe game and another at Watford where, well nearly everyone loses - is actuall pretty decent.

What has hurt is not taking chances to win at Forest, Barnsley, v QPR and then the last 2 where we probably should have done better. Turn just 2 of those 5 draws to wins, and we are on 72 and still in the hunt, 3 and we are 6th.

So yeah, we have been competitive in all bar a couple of poor performances and should have taken more points in most - small margins.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Apr 2021 09:34

Hound I'm not sure we've played that badly recently tbh. A lot has been in context of what we needed, to an extent a few issues have cost us dropped points, mainly due to a lack of form of the front 4 imo (and we know they are all capable of so much more)

I agree. That's what really enthuses me about what Paunovic has done. Broadly speaking, we've played good football this season. The result at Watford glosses over what was a very good away performance. As you say, Derby we put aside easily, QPR another good performance.

Context for me is that we are merely Lucas Joao's three missed penalties from being right in the play-off mix (we'd be four points better off) with three games to go.

As I said above, if we're expecting as a minimum that a Reading manager maintains a promotion push with no money to spend and facing losing players each summer then we're done as a football club. Of course we want to see promotion, but frankly any manager that is comfortably keeping us in this division should also keep their job, imho.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Apr 2021 09:37

Sanguine

I agree. That's what really enthuses me about what Paunovic has done. Broadly speaking, we've played good football this season. The result at Watford glosses over what was a very good away performance. As you say, Derby we put aside easily, QPR another good performance.

Context for me is that we are merely Lucas Joao's three missed penalties from being right in the play-off mix (we'd be four points better off) with three games to go.

As I said above, if we're expecting as a minimum that a Reading manager maintains a promotion push with no money to spend and facing losing players each summer then we're done as a football club. Of course we want to see promotion, but frankly any manager that is comfortably keeping us in this division should also keep their job, imho.

Totally agree. If Pauno gets us to finish 9th or better for the next 5 years, he can just carry one as far as I am concerned, especially if the restraints on players are still there.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Apr 2021 10:32

Stranded

That's the thing, whilst it is disappointing that baring a minor miracle we are done with regards to the play-offs - it really is small margins.

We are going to drop out because of a massive run of defeats, we've just really failed to turn draws into wins.

As the majority view is the Wycombe defeat was a massive turning point, that is 12 games back - our record including that is:

W4 D5 L3

Now 3 defeats, one of which was that Wycombe game and another at Watford where, well nearly everyone loses - is actuall pretty decent.

What has hurt is not taking chances to win at Forest, Barnsley, v QPR and then the last 2 where we probably should have done better. Turn just 2 of those 5 draws to wins, and we are on 72 and still in the hunt, 3 and we are 6th.

So yeah, we have been competitive in all bar a couple of poor performances and should have taken more points in most - small margins.

I don’t entirely agree. We were desperately hanging on v QPR. Against Derby we were very poor in the first half until Olise’s wonder strike. That’s been our only win in the last eight. Joao obviously should have scored v Barnsley but they had some very good chances too. Against Luton and Cardiff the opposition were good value for the draws. I can’t remember the Forest game. Against Watford we played really well for twenty minutes after they scored but that was about it as we offered nothing in the second half.
Eight points from eight games is a poor return.

As it happens defensively we have been solid but it’s going forward where we have been very disappointing. That’s been the issue. We simply haven’t created or scored enough in this run of games.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 23 Apr 2021 10:48

Millsy
tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal Manager should only be sacked if he's taking us into a doomed looking relegation fight and that isn't expected.

Or

He's had at least 2 full seasons, preferably 3, without clear progress.

Fin

Pretty much how I see it too. If we'd sacked managers as easily as some would have like, Coppell would definitely have gone long before the 05/06 season.

The difference is Coppell had an astonishingly good record so we knew we could keep the faith as some of us were arguing on here before he even joined. 8)

The Owners have only chopped and changed nobody noobs. Stam, Gomes, Bowen, Pauno with respect were all nobody noobs.

I supported Burns and Adkins for much longer because they had some record behind them, but I'd be less inclined to support a noob longterm. Ok so Burns and Adkins didn't work out too well but it's more acceptable.

If Owners are looking for the next Parj or FSB they probably need evidence of success more quickly. That's what I'd like to see.

Having said that, we did let go of Brenda too soon.... then again some of us were against that as we could see the promise.

Ha yes, not enough people mention that do they? We sacked Brendan Rogers after six months. I'll say that again, we sacked Brendan Rogers after six months.

3542 posts