Pauno In! Appreciation Thread

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pauno In! Appreciation Thread

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2021 16:26

Hendo
Brogue not sure im buying this small squad stuff, how do we compare in squad size to the rest of the champ? when I created the poll for player of the season 20 players had played over 10 games for us this season. not including southwood odin tetek. these are genuine first team players not youngsters.

We have only used 25 players this season, which is the lowest of any team in the league. Which would point to a pretty small squad size and also may point to one of the reasons why we've run out of steam at the end of the season.

EDIT - apparently this also includes Tetek, Watson, Azeez and Onen, none of whom have started a game, and Araruna who played twice this season. With the number of injuries we've had, we've been rolling with a squad of ~16 for most of the season.

So yeah, small squad for sure.

I was gonna say... 25 players is a bit large for a squad really. Should be about 23 with some Academy back up.

In some ways our injury situation has been improved that we've only had one player effectively out for the season from one injury...

Remember the days of having multiple people out for 6 to 18 months?

But we've had a lot of up to 3 months and several players have been out several times, which is probably worse than normal

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Apr 2021 16:42

Hound
Hendo
Brogue not sure im buying this small squad stuff, how do we compare in squad size to the rest of the champ? when I created the poll for player of the season 20 players had played over 10 games for us this season. not including southwood odin tetek. these are genuine first team players not youngsters.

We have only used 25 players this season, which is the lowest of any team in the league. Which would point to a pretty small squad size and also may point to one of the reasons why we've run out of steam at the end of the season.

EDIT - apparently this also includes Tetek, Watson, Azeez and Onen, none of whom have started a game, and Araruna who played twice this season. With the number of injuries we've had, we've been rolling with a squad of ~16 for most of the season.

So yeah, small squad for sure.

and missing arguably our best player in Swift for most of it. We've not lost a game when he has played have we?

Six wins, four draws and no losses or something like that. A huge miss for us.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Apr 2021 23:28

Unless we are challenging for top 6 by Christmas he will be gone. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if he went this summer. Doubt the owners will have been impressed but who knows.

I don’t think we will be challenging next season and therefore you’d make the case in that instance it would be smarter to just recruit someone else now. Though it doesn’t matter as they would probably be shit too.

I get the view of giving a manager time. Time to adapt to the league, time to learn, time to build... but that isn’t that much of a reality for most clubs in most situations.

As far as Pauno goes, if we had a ‘proven’ manager with a good and relevant track record I’d be more swayed to give him all the time in the world but I think the notion that not doing so is in the futile and unlikely hope of “lucking out with promotion” is just as likely or unlikely as an average manager randomly becoming a good one.

Most managers have a certain style, ethos and philosophy. They have to. It therefore makes it incredibly difficult for them to adapt and change. They aren’t players who can be trained differently. Who manages the manager?

For me it comes down to, do I have the confidence that Pauno will learn from his mistakes? Become better tactically with substitutions? Adapt formations and encourage a more effective playing style.

No. Not really.

Does it matter?

No. Not really.

What are we going to do about it. We will probably get promoted again one day, but I doubt it will next season and I doubt it will be with Paunovic.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 24 Apr 2021 06:59

SouthDownsRoyal
Brogue 46 points in 38 games. :arrow:

Yawn

and he calls ME the village idiot :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Apr 2021 08:24

CountryRoyal Unless we are challenging for top 6 by Christmas he will be gone. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if he went this summer. Doubt the owners will have been impressed but who knows.

I don’t think we will be challenging next season and therefore you’d make the case in that instance it would be smarter to just recruit someone else now. Though it doesn’t matter as they would probably be shit too.

I get the view of giving a manager time. Time to adapt to the league, time to learn, time to build... but that isn’t that much of a reality for most clubs in most situations.

As far as Pauno goes, if we had a ‘proven’ manager with a good and relevant track record I’d be more swayed to give him all the time in the world but I think the notion that not doing so is in the futile and unlikely hope of “lucking out with promotion” is just as likely or unlikely as an average manager randomly becoming a good one.

Most managers have a certain style, ethos and philosophy. They have to. It therefore makes it incredibly difficult for them to adapt and change. They aren’t players who can be trained differently. Who manages the manager?

For me it comes down to, do I have the confidence that Pauno will learn from his mistakes? Become better tactically with substitutions? Adapt formations and encourage a more effective playing style.

No. Not really.

Does it matter?

No. Not really.

What are we going to do about it. We will probably get promoted again one day, but I doubt it will next season and I doubt it will be with Paunovic.

I like Pauno and want him to stay, but wouldn't be that shocked to see him go. My biggest worry if he does, is that I have absolutely no faith in the owners picking a suitable replacement, and we'll just end up with another random with a questionable CV. I mentioned this elsewhere, but didn't get an answer, would the Brexit rule changes make it harder for us to bring in another Gomes or Paunovic?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Apr 2021 10:11

Two shamble threads saying the same thing?

I know you Team Board lads are a bit backward but really, try and have some self respect.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Apr 2021 10:20

leon Two shamble threads saying the same thing?

I know you Team Board lads are a bit backward but really, try and have some self respect.

oxf*rd off you AE nonce

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Apr 2021 10:50

CountryRoyal Unless we are challenging for top 6 by Christmas he will be gone. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if he went this summer. Doubt the owners will have been impressed but who knows.

No. Not really.

Does it matter?

No. Not really.

What a tragic and damning indictment on football, that binning off managers for failing to achieve instant success and believing they can't improve has become the accepted wisdom amongst fans.

And even more sad that people feel the need to spread negativity into a positive thread when there's one for negativity right next door.

You get what you deserve, I guess.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Apr 2021 11:18

Zip

oxf*rd off you AE nonce

It literally takes one to know one.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Apr 2021 11:34

leon
Zip

oxf*rd off you AE nonce

Well quite

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Apr 2021 11:36

Zip
leon
Zip
oxf*rd off you AE nonce

Well quite

<wink>

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Apr 2021 13:21

Simmops
SouthDownsRoyal
Brogue 46 points in 38 games. :arrow:

Yawn

Hi m9

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 25 Apr 2021 13:25

SouthDownsRoyal
Simmops
SouthDownsRoyal

Yawn

Hi m9

Hi how’s things?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Apr 2021 13:27

Brogue
SouthDownsRoyal
Simmops

Hi m9

Hi how’s things?

Not bad, Reading just conceded though

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Apr 2021 13:42

Snowflake Royal

No. Not really.

Does it matter?

No. Not really.

What a tragic and damning indictment on football, that binning off managers for failing to achieve instant success and believing they can't improve has become the accepted wisdom amongst fans.

And even more sad that people feel the need to spread negativity into a positive thread when there's one for negativity right next door.

You get what you deserve, I guess.

It's the owners that have created this must win at all costs culture. Quality of football as a consequence is deteriorating. Squads full of expensive loan signings every season. Tactically inept overseas managers. Clubs left in financially dire straits. No longer the game I used to watch with passion and intensity.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Apr 2021 14:31

I hope Pauno gets plenty of time; he's earned it and I'd only sack him next season if there is a real risk of relegation (which is unlikely).

Our owners seem to have learnt in recent years that paying a big fee and high wages for a player doesn't guarantee that they'll be good. Now they just need to learn that stability and building something is better than constant chopping and changing.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Apr 2021 15:02

WestYorksRoyal I hope Pauno gets plenty of time; he's earned it and I'd only sack him next season if there is a real risk of relegation (which is unlikely).

I would say it`s highly likely with a potential 12 point deduction.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Apr 2021 15:13

windermereROYAL
WestYorksRoyal I hope Pauno gets plenty of time; he's earned it and I'd only sack him next season if there is a real risk of relegation (which is unlikely).

A points deduction is looking very likely but I would hope it would only be six as per Sheff Wed

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Apr 2021 15:16

Zip
windermereROYAL

A points deduction is looking very likely but I would hope it would only be six as per Sheff Wed

Haven't we been pretty open with the EFL for the past 2 years or so? And with the impact of Covid, I would say it's far from certain.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Apr 2021 15:16

Zip
windermereROYAL

It was 12 initially but got reduced to 6 on appeal if i`m not mistaken.