11%
Semedo no
39%

Total votes: 160
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Sign Esteves and Semedo?

by Hound » 26 Apr 2021 11:19

I think its slightly nuts that people wouldn't take on Esteves tbh. Obviously the 'price is right' bit is very ambiguous, but he's still very highly rated despite an iffy season, and still very young. Doubt there are many 18 year olds that have aced the season in the champ - even Olise has been up and down. I've no doubts he'll end up at a decent club and have a good career

But no, he made a mistake against Stoke back in october so we dont want him :)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Apr 2021 11:39

Hound I think its slightly nuts that people wouldn't take on Esteves tbh. Obviously the 'price is right' bit is very ambiguous, but he's still very highly rated despite an iffy season, and still very young. Doubt there are many 18 year olds that have aced the season in the champ - even Olise has been up and down. I've no doubts he'll end up at a decent club and have a good career

+1

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Apr 2021 11:57

Hound I think its slightly nuts that people wouldn't take on Esteves tbh. Obviously the 'price is right' bit is very ambiguous, but he's still very highly rated despite an iffy season, and still very young. Doubt there are many 18 year olds that have aced the season in the champ - even Olise has been up and down. I've no doubts he'll end up at a decent club and have a good career

We didn’t play Stoke in October :wink:

Agree with the sentiment that he was written off too early by fans after one poor run of games but by the same token wouldn’t say it’s slightly nuts - given the precarious financial position we’re in, I think it would be a risk signing someone at this stage for pure “potential”

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 26 Apr 2021 11:59

i should have added Gibson to the poll too, i forgot he existed tbh :oops: but i assume the same would be for him to, a no?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Apr 2021 12:00

URZZZZ

Agree with the sentiment that he was written off too early by fans after one poor run of games but by the same token wouldn’t say it’s slightly nuts - given the precarious financial position we’re in, I think it would be a risk signing someone at this stage for pure “potential”

well yeah thats the point on the 'right price' bit. I suspect they'd ask at least 10m which of course isnt the right price for our current situation

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Apr 2021 12:01

Again, on a free, I'd take Gibson no question at all.

Especially if Moore does go/Morro falls off the McShane cliff.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Apr 2021 12:02

yeah thought Gibson looked quite decent. Got rinsed by Sarr when played out of position at LB, but hardly a surprise that. Otherwise looked ok to me

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Apr 2021 12:06

Hendo Again, on a free, I'd take Gibson no question at all.

Especially if Moore does go/Morro falls off the McShane cliff.

Not sure he’s commanding enough to be a CB in a two (or maybe not at this stage of his development). Would be happy for him to be a squad option at LB/a CB in a 3 though. I guess similar to the role Blackett played in his first season here

Another player who’s been harshly treated by the fans IMO, primarily for getting rinsed by a £40m upwards player :roll:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Apr 2021 12:09

Hound
URZZZZ

well yeah thats the point on the 'right price' bit. I suspect they'd ask at least 10m which of course isnt the right price for our current situation

Slight tangent but I think it’s a shame the way Watson’s career has panned out here - looked very promising in his few games at the start under Stam (even had a decent game at the Emirates IIRC)

Bad injury/poor loans have done it here for him although I’m surprised he wasn’t given a go before Esteves was here and Yiadom/Araruna were injured

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2021 12:11

We have 3 RBs already, why sign our 4th choice one?

Would defo sign Gibson for a reasonable fee though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Apr 2021 13:27

Snowflake Royal

Errr Yiadom and who?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 26 Apr 2021 13:53

double nope

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Apr 2021 14:03

Snowball Semedo seems to be under-rated here

Expected more from a player who is on Benfica's books. More than likely a player who has failed to live up to early promise when they first signed him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2021 14:43

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Errr Yiadom and who?

Holmes and Araruna.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Apr 2021 15:11

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal We have 3 RBs already, why sign our 4th choice one?

Errr Yiadom and who?

Holmes and Araruna.

A very good and potential first choice CB (but not a RB) and a midfielder who hasn't played for a year, and didnt massively impress in the games he did play?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2021 15:16

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound
Errr Yiadom and who?

Holmes and Araruna.

A very good and potential first choice CB (but not a RB) and a midfielder who hasn't played for a year, and didnt massively impress in the games he did play?

The guy who has been ahead of Esteves at RB pretty much all season, and the guy who was second choice RB until a major injury, and looked perfectly comfortable there and who has played there more than midfield where he's looked utterly anonymous.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Apr 2021 15:47

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal Holmes and Araruna.

The guy who has been ahead of Esteves at RB pretty much all season, and the guy who was second choice RB until a major injury, and looked perfectly comfortable there and who has played there more than midfield where he's looked utterly anonymous.

but Holmes isnt a RB. And he's twice the player at CB. Araruna played a couple of games there, one where he was pretty crap (colchester) from the sound of it, and doesn't sound like he's a RB either

If you mean 3 players you yourself might pick ahead of an 18 year old Esteves at the start of the season in that position, then it'd be more accurate.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2021 15:50

If Esteves can't play consistently ahead of Holmes there's absolutely no reason to sign him.

Simply a fact that we don't need a RB.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Apr 2021 17:45

And a no on signing Lewis Gibson too.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 26 Apr 2021 19:33

Sutekh And a no on signing Lewis Gibson too.

Definitely a must sign, he has shown a lot of promise.