Contract situation at end of 2020/21 season.

275 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Contract situation at end of 2020/21 season.

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 May 2021 17:37

morganb
Pepe the Horseman

Amongst our Under-23s group, we have offered new deals to striker Thierry Nevers, goalkeeper James Holden and forward Femi Azeez, while left-back Ethan Bristow remains at the club after a clause in his current contract was mutually triggered.

Contract must have been rejected by Nevers - from Twitter:

@ThierryNevers
Thank you for 9 years of learning and growing
@ReadingFC
. Shoutout to every staff member who has had my back through everything I’ve been through at the club. I leave with full appreciation of the platform you’ve given to me to express myself as a player and person.

Wow, that's a big loss given the potential he's shown.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 May 2021 17:37

morganb
Pepe the Horseman

Amongst our Under-23s group, we have offered new deals to striker Thierry Nevers, goalkeeper James Holden and forward Femi Azeez, while left-back Ethan Bristow remains at the club after a clause in his current contract was mutually triggered.

Contract must have been rejected by Nevers - from Twitter:

@ThierryNevers
Thank you for 9 years of learning and growing
@ReadingFC
. Shoutout to every staff member who has had my back through everything I’ve been through at the club. I leave with full appreciation of the platform you’ve given to me to express myself as a player and person.

Yep he rejected a new contract. Disappointed that he’s going. Thought he might push on next season.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 14 May 2021 18:03

It sounds like we cannot even afford to offer a half decent contract to up and coming youngsters. With a number more potential departures still in the offing (Olise, Richards and possibly McIntyre) I do wonder if we will have enough players left to put out both a first team and an U23 team next season at this rate.

We now barely have 30 contracted players left as compared to over 60 at the end of the 2019/20 season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 May 2021 20:24

andrew1957 It sounds like we cannot even afford to offer a half decent contract to up and coming youngsters. With a number more potential departures still in the offing (Olise, Richards and possibly McIntyre) I do wonder if we will have enough players left to put out both a first team and an U23 team next season at this rate.

We now barely have 30 contracted players left as compared to over 60 at the end of the 2019/20 season.

It is a concern and will have a knock on effect in trying to attract new players and extend contracts of existing players.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 14 May 2021 21:27

Good work Dai

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 May 2021 22:00

Going to be a tough world for many professional footballers in the near future. Those on the way up are going to be competing with those on the way down and out.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2021 13:11

andrew1957 It sounds like we cannot even afford to offer a half decent contract to up and coming youngsters. With a number more potential departures still in the offing (Olise, Richards and possibly McIntyre) I do wonder if we will have enough players left to put out both a first team and an U23 team next season at this rate.

Richards got an offer from Bayern Munich, of course we can't match that.
Olise is IN contract.
McIntyre has been offered a contract.

How do we know Nevers said no to the contract because of money?

He seems to be behind Joao, Puscas, Meite, Baldock [gone], Camara and Melvin-Lambert as forwards. Seems far more likely he didn't see a pathway to the first team and wanted football than we couldn't afford the sort of contract that would keep a completely uncapped youth player here.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2021 13:31

I really hope we can tie TMc down. He's right on the verge of being first choice. Morro can only last so long and Moore has to move on eventually. One of them will decline or leave soon.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 15 May 2021 13:39

So, we've had people get to the end of their contact and leave without a new contract being offered. We've had people get offered a new contract but they've turned it down and left.

But do we think there is anyone we're trying to actively sell (McNulty?) or anyone wanting to leave (Olise?)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2021 14:06

morganb So, we've had people get to the end of their contact and leave without a new contract being offered. We've had people get offered a new contract but they've turned it down and left.

But do we think there is anyone we're trying to actively sell (McNulty?) or anyone wanting to leave (Olise?)

You've pretty much nailed it.

Should really be looking to move on Moore and Swift (injuries and wages) to cash in while they have some value. But if Olise goes, can't afford to lose Swift without a cheap good replacement. Ejaria could go as an alternative to Swift or Olise.

Similar, though less pressing on Cabral - someone cheap and experienced to compete with Southwood.

And should probably consider offers for one of Joao, Puscas and Meite.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 15 May 2021 14:27

Snowflake Royal
morganb So, we've had people get to the end of their contact and leave without a new contract being offered. We've had people get offered a new contract but they've turned it down and left.

Should really be looking to move on Moore and Swift (injuries and wages) to cash in while they have some value. But if Olise goes, can't afford to lose Swift without a cheap good replacement. Ejaria could go as an alternative to Swift or Olise.

Similar, though less pressing on Cabral - someone cheap and experienced to compete with Southwood.

It's a shame that Romania didn't qualify for the Euros as that could have been a good way to get Puscas in the shop window.

We don't actually have anyone going to the Euros do we, so at least players should get a good rest. There aren't any other international tournaments on over the summer are there?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 15 May 2021 14:35

morganb
Snowflake Royal

It's a shame that Romania didn't qualify for the Euros as that could have been a good way to get Puscas in the shop window.

We don't actually have anyone going to the Euros do we, so at least players should get a good rest. There aren't any other international tournaments on over the summer are there?

Just crap tournaments like the Copa America ... :D

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 15 May 2021 18:27

morganb
Snowflake Royal

I'd hope that Pauno finds a way of incorporating Puscas. Joao had a Blackman season in terms of scoring, when you look back at his Sheffield Wednesday record. Better long term prospect. Needs a decent run in the team with service that he can feed off.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 15 May 2021 18:49

Royalwaster
morganb
Snowflake Royal You've pretty much nailed it.

Just crap tournaments like the Copa America ... :D

With every game live on the BBC.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2021 19:20

Lower West
morganb

I'd hope that Pauno finds a way of incorporating Puscas. Joao had a Blackman season in terms of scoring, when you look back at his Sheffield Wednesday record. Better long term prospect. Needs a decent run in the team with service that he can feed off.

Joao had a good scoring record last season and scored loads this.

Blackman had a good two months once in his career. There's just no comparison.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 15 May 2021 21:43

Snowflake Royal I really hope we can tie TMc down. He's right on the verge of being first choice. Morro can only last so long and Moore has to move on eventually. One of them will decline or leave soon.

Same here. I've not found myself checking, hoping on or waiting for an announcement across socials for a very long time, not even with signings.

TMc is a local guy, he looks like he has bags of potential and just that club spirit that I don't think you can replace with any form of purchase. Maybe his injury is bad and the club is concerned about that? But I really think if we let a player like him go, we are really going down a poor path which (as dramatic as it sounds) is just going to rip a bit of a soul out of the club and academy.

Let's face it - where does the drive in the academy come from if you've seen a player come in, be extremely great (under Bowen), an almost instant fan favourite and then step up under a new manager and replace one of the most important players (Moore was in far greater form when he was injured and TMc came in), perform brilliantly (albeit that one game early in the season) and then be used as an almost utility man across the pitch and still perform brilliantly and have that not deemed good enough for a decent contract offer. I know he's been offered a contract - but surely for his love from the club it must be a pretty dyer offer if he's not snapped it up!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 May 2021 12:34

Lower West
morganb

The irony of this being that Wednesday fans complained that Joao was never given a sustained run in the side, hence his "Sheffield Wednesday record". Clearly we've reaped the benefits of giving him an extended run in the side

Puscas is a difficult one to categorise. He looked decent with Joao in a two up top in that little run in March but a little lost by himself and his performance against Luton was shameful (something Paunovic likely saw too given he only played 10 minutes after that game). I'd say there's been an improvement in his game from when he first joined but the extent to which is questionable - his decision making is still rather naive

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 17 May 2021 21:57

I know LB has been discussed but Bristow looked pretty handy in the cup games. He has had his contract extended, Paunovic has mentioned him by name a few times. Maybe he is the player to step up this year.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 May 2021 23:43

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
morganb

Joao had a good scoring record last season and scored loads this.

Blackman had a good two months once in his career. There's just no comparison.

Joao's record at Sheffield Wednesday was 26 goals in 112 appearances. Like Blackman purple patch at Reading.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 May 2021 06:22

Snowflake Royal

Richards got an offer from Bayern Munich, of course we can't match that.
Olise is IN contract.
McIntyre has been offered a contract.

How do we know Nevers said no to the contract because of money?

He seems to be behind Joao, Puscas, Meite, Baldock [gone], Camara and Melvin-Lambert as forwards. Seems far more likely he didn't see a pathway to the first team and wanted football than we couldn't afford the sort of contract that would keep a completely uncapped youth player here.

I'm in the know and my sources at the club said Nevers wanted a lot of money and we cannot afford it

275 posts