Ady Williams Save + Sending Off

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BarryWhiteRFC

Ady Williams Save + Sending Off

by BarryWhiteRFC » 20 May 2021 12:54

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place or not, but can anyone remember Ady Williams wonder save that got him sent off? Then Shaka saved the penalty? We ended up winning because of it as well. I think it was against Leyton Orient in 1993. However, I can find nothing about it online. I'd especially like to see the video if anyone has it. I want to know if my memory of it makes it better than it actually was? The things we think about in the off season... :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Ady Williams Save + Sending Off

by Sutekh » 20 May 2021 14:22

BarryWhiteRFC I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place or not, but can anyone remember Ady Williams wonder save that got him sent off? Then Shaka saved the penalty? We ended up winning because of it as well. I think it was against Leyton Orient in 1993. However, I can find nothing about it online. I'd especially like to see the video if anyone has it. I want to know if my memory of it makes it better than it actually was? The things we think about in the off season... :lol:

Sat 16 October 1993
Reading 2-1 Leyton Orient
Att: 6,066

Team: Hislop, Ranson, Kerr (Gilkes), Hopkins, Williams, Parkinson, Taylor, Dillon, Quinn, Lovell, Gooding

Game highlights below - starts at around 19'15"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyfUeWh7uk0

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 20 May 2021 15:20

Ball to hand..... although his hands were up in the air :D
https://youtu.be/ZyfUeWh7uk0?t=1174

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 May 2021 11:31

Forbury Lion Ball to hand..... although his hands were up in the air :D
https://youtu.be/ZyfUeWh7uk0?t=1174

Boy! Jimmy Quinn really lets Shaka have it with both barrels over his error there!

Great save from Ady - no wonder he was our emergency keeper!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 May 2021 21:34

Sutekh
BarryWhiteRFC I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place or not, but can anyone remember Ady Williams wonder save that got him sent off? Then Shaka saved the penalty? We ended up winning because of it as well. I think it was against Leyton Orient in 1993. However, I can find nothing about it online. I'd especially like to see the video if anyone has it. I want to know if my memory of it makes it better than it actually was? The things we think about in the off season... :lol:

Sat 16 October 1993

Team: Hislop, Ranson, Kerr (Gilkes), Hopkins, Williams, Parkinson, Taylor, Dillon, Quinn, Lovell, Gooding

Great watch.

Nice to see / remember just how good Quinn was.

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 24 May 2021 11:55

Sutekh

Sat 16 October 1993

Thank you! The save was not quite as good as I remembered as I thought he tipped it over the bar, it was dropping in except for the goal line clearance. However, it was great to watch the season highlights. So many good memories from that season. Being an exiled Royal even then, going to Blackpool away, Stockport away and my parents arranging for me to meet the team at Hartlepool away. Brilliant.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ady Williams Save + Sending O

by Jackson Corner » 02 Jun 2021 21:15

If I could change one rule in football it would be the deliberate handball that provents a goal being scored. On this occasion we were the beneficiaries, and I remember Suarez Doing the same thing in a World Cup knockout match in the last minute and celebrating as he was sent off going down the tunnel. I don’t understand why they can’t award a penalty goal as in rugby when a clear and obvious foul Has been committed.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Jun 2021 22:47

Jackson Corner If I could change one rule in football it would be the deliberate handball that provents a goal being scored. On this occasion we were the beneficiaries, and I remember Suarez Doing the same thing in a World Cup knockout match in the last minute and celebrating as he was sent off going down the tunnel. I don’t understand why they can’t award a penalty goal as in rugby when a clear and obvious foul Has been committed.

I do agree, I think it comes down to situations where it is beneficial to commit a foul which should never be the case, prime example is when a player commits a "clever foul" to stop a counter attack.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 02 Jun 2021 23:45

tidus_mi2
Jackson Corner If I could change one rule in football it would be the deliberate handball that provents a goal being scored. On this occasion we were the beneficiaries, and I remember Suarez Doing the same thing in a World Cup knockout match in the last minute and celebrating as he was sent off going down the tunnel. I don’t understand why they can’t award a penalty goal as in rugby when a clear and obvious foul Has been committed.

I do agree, I think it comes down to situations where it is beneficial to commit a foul which should never be the case, prime example is when a player commits a "clever foul" to stop a counter attack.

I think the clever foul (or cynical gamesmanship) can only be removed from the game by introducing sin bins. I can see no downside to it and eventually players would have to weigh up if they want to try to survive 10 minutes with 10 men or allow the player to continue on his way

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Jun 2021 10:28

bcubed
tidus_mi2

I think the clever foul (or cynical gamesmanship) can only be removed from the game by introducing sin bins. I can see no downside to it and eventually players would have to weigh up if they want to try to survive 10 minutes with 10 men or allow the player to continue on his way

Doubt that would help to be be honest, there are loads of professional fouls in rugby despite the sin-bin option.
I'd be up for the sin-bin option in general, but I don't think it would particularly help this particular case.

In Gaelic Football, they tinker with the rules far more than in soccer. They already tried targetting the player rather than the team - a cynical foul resulted in the player being sent off, but a sub being allowed on (if there were still subs left) - that hasn't worked so they're now using sin-bins - but I have seen zero difference in terms of cynical fouling - particularly towards the end of the game.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Jun 2021 12:36

muirinho
bcubed
tidus_mi2 I do agree, I think it comes down to situations where it is beneficial to commit a foul which should never be the case, prime example is when a player commits a "clever foul" to stop a counter attack.

Doubt that would help to be be honest, there are loads of professional fouls in rugby despite the sin-bin option.
I'd be up for the sin-bin option in general, but I don't think it would particularly help this particular case.

In Gaelic Football, they tinker with the rules far more than in soccer. They already tried targetting the player rather than the team - a cynical foul resulted in the player being sent off, but a sub being allowed on (if there were still subs left) - that hasn't worked so they're now using sin-bins - but I have seen zero difference in terms of cynical fouling - particularly towards the end of the game.

I really think it would work. If you have the choice between pulling someone back by their shirt or tripping them and reducing the team to ten players or trying to tackle or play fairly I think you will choose the latter. If you don't and still take the sinbin at least there is an opportunity to take advantage for 10 minutes.

Like you I think football doesn't tinker with the rules as much as it should. And when it does it never seems to be for the better. VAR the latest example.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Jun 2021 08:48

I've long thought that there should be a choice for the team against whom the offence is committed.
The choice would be EITHER a penalty goal (and no red card) or a red card and take your chances with the penalty/free kick

So, in the Suarez case, Ghana (?) could simply have taken the option of the penalty goal

I accept that there's still the subjective view on whether a particular incident would count for the choice, but my assumption would be that it would apply to ANY incident where the decision is a straight red for denying a goalscoring opportunity.

(I know it's not perfect)

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1