Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Free transfers watch

by Snowball » 01 Jun 2021 12:00

Went to the League Two play-off final

Newport were robbed

Most of their players are out of contract and I doubt any would be expensive

The Number 3 left back looks very decent

Also Collins striker/right wing could do a job. He roasted the Morecambe LB all game

Demetriou is a very decent defender and placed as seventh best player in League 2 on WhoScored last season

and Sheehan, obviously

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 01 Jun 2021 12:05

morganb Chuks Aneke will become a free agent this summer after turning down Charlton’s offer of a new deal.

He has received interest from clubs in America and Scotland. However, the forward believes that a return to the Championship could eventually lead to him playing in the Premier League. Middlesbrough are among them, while Reading, Coventry, Queens Park Rangers and Bristol City also in the hunt.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive ... ampionship

Well from that Charlton match the previous season, he was absolute pants. That’s only 1 game admittedly, but if that’s the standard we are looking for next season, we’ll need to realign our expectations!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Jun 2021 13:10

Aneke played in the same youth team as Afobe and was their second best player. Used to be a midfielder but has transitioned into playing as a forward. I don’t really think he has the goal scoring instincts for this level.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jun 2021 13:24

Dunno he’d certainly be worth a look. 16 goals last season and on a free. Similar to Joao from the write up style wise

Good age and had some experience at the level. Reckon he’d do ok

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 01 Jun 2021 16:26

Sheffield United have released veteran defender Phil Jagielka, 38, and midfielder John Lundstram, 27, who scored eight goals in 108 league games and rejected a new deal with the club last October.

Goalkeeper Simon Moore, 31, and ex-England international Jack Rodwell, 30, are also leaving.

Rodwell joined the Bramall Lane side in January 2020 but made only two appearances and did not feature at all in 2020-21.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57315574

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jun 2021 18:23

Rodwell's career slide has been quite the train wreck really.

Injuries haven't helped but really struggled to hold down a place since leaving Man City

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Jun 2021 09:40

Stranded Rodwell's career slide has been quite the train wreck really.

Injuries haven't helped but really struggled to hold down a place since leaving Man City

He’s never held down a place full stop. Never made it to 30 league games in a season.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 02 Jun 2021 11:33

Snowball Went to the League Two play-off final

Newport were robbed

Also Collins striker/right wing could do a job. He roasted the Morecambe LB all game

Demetriou is a very decent defender and placed as seventh best player in League 2 on WhoScored last season

and Sheehan, obviously

i'm dubious that you can ever judge the true quality of a player in lower league games. It's like these players that destroy the German league and are useless in England. McNulty also comes to mind.

And it comes back to the same question - If these players are championship standard and 'free', then why isn't every team going for them? I'm pretty sure that even the worst scouting set up in the Championship is a 100 times better than the combined scouting ability of people posting on Hob Nobs.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jun 2021 11:51

Elm Park Kid

Newport were robbed

and Sheehan, obviously

i'm dubious that you can ever judge the true quality of a player in lower league games. It's like these players that destroy the German league and are useless in England. McNulty also comes to mind.

And it comes back to the same question - If these players are championship standard and 'free', then why isn't every team going for them? I'm pretty sure that even the worst scouting set up in the Championship is a 100 times better than the combined scouting ability of people posting on Hob Nobs.

I think the benefit of professional scouting is less about being able to tell an individual is good and more about seeing a huge number of players to build up a portfolio of talent to track, and knowing what your club is actually looking for and what goes on behind the scenes.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jun 2021 12:34

These nine players cost around £67 million in transfer fees:

Aluko
Baldock
Assombalonga
Fletcher
Diedhiou
Pritchard
Reach
Rhodes
Schindler

All been released on a free this summer. Finances gone mad

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Jun 2021 13:05

URZZZZ These nine players cost around £67 million in transfer fees:

Aluko
Baldock
Assombalonga
Fletcher
Diedhiou
Pritchard
Reach
Rhodes
Schindler

All been released on a free this summer. Finances gone mad

Amazingly, only two of them are ours

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Jun 2021 13:23

Elm Park Kid

Newport were robbed

and Sheehan, obviously

I give you Laurent.

Shane Long

Kevin Doyle.

Michael Antonio came to Reading from NON-League and is now in the Premiership and will play in Europe next season.

Glen Murray played two season in Non-League for Carlisle and Barrow

Tony Book, who captained Man City, played for Non-League Frome Town, then non-League Bath City, then some obscure club in Canada, then was sold to Plymouth Argyle AT THE AGE OF THIRTY. He got promotion to the top division with Mn City then captained them to winning the top-Division championship. He also captained man City to an FA Cup, a League Cup and the European Cup-Winner's Cup

Jamie Vardy was playing for non-League Fleetwood Town and reached the Premiership, a Premiership title and an FA Cup

Chris Smalling played two seasons for Maidenhead, ended up at Manchester United the A S Roma

Yanick Bolassie spent 2006-2009 in NON-League then made the Premiership with Crystal Palace and Everton

Jo Hart started at then NON-League Shrewsbury and now has two premier league Winners Medals, 75 appearances for England, and is four to=imes winner of the Golden Gloves

Andre Gray

Gray was one of the most feared strikers in non-league football, scoring a combined 82 goals during spells with AFC Telford and Hinckley United in the Conference North, and Luton Town in the Conference Premier.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Jun 2021 13:25

Those are players going from NON-LEAGUE to the top division. = 4 levels.

League 2 to Championship is two levels

There is a lot of talent in the lower leagues

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Jun 2021 14:50

Forest’s release list has been confirmed:

Sammy Ameobi
Michael Dawson
Michael Hefele
Yuri Riberio
Samba Sow

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jun 2021 16:43

morganb Forest’s release list has been confirmed:

Sammy Ameobi
Michael Dawson
Michael Hefele
Yuri Riberio
Samba Sow

Would take Ameobi. Always seems to cause us problems. And still only 29, even though it feels like he's been around forever.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 Jun 2021 16:56

Pepe the Horseman
morganb Forest’s release list has been confirmed:

Sammy Ameobi
Michael Dawson
Michael Hefele
Yuri Riberio
Samba Sow

Would take Ameobi. Always seems to cause us problems. And still only 29, even though it feels like he's been around forever.

Does anyone know anything about Yuri Ribeiro - according to Wikipedia he is a 24-year-old Portuguese left back, a position we need to fill.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Jun 2021 17:21

Not convinced by Riberio, Forest comments seem to be unconcerned that he is leaving and that he would have been a backup at best if he stayed.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Jun 2021 17:31

tidus_mi2 Not convinced by Riberio, Forest comments seem to be unconcerned that he is leaving and that he would have been a backup at best if he stayed.

I know nothing about this guy but we do have history taking ‘nobodies’ from reserves and finding some hidden gems. Not recently, I admit
e.g. Nicky Shorey

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jun 2021 17:57

Jake Forster-Caskey is out of contract. 27 now, so probably our last chance to sign him.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Jun 2021 19:03

Pepe the Horseman Jake Forster-Caskey is out of contract. 27 now, so probably our last chance to sign him.

Are we preparing for League 1 ?