Brentford (H) v Swansea (A) - Championship Play Off Final

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Brentford (H) v Swansea (A) - Championship Play Off Final

by Sutekh » 30 May 2021 16:03

Now their parachute payments have finished will Swansea have to sell to try and keep their finances reasonably sane?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 May 2021 16:11

Sutekh Now their parachute payments have finished will Swansea have to sell to try and keep their finances reasonably sane?

They'd have to surely, Ayew is OOC I believe but still he must have cost a pretty penny to keep on the books.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 May 2021 16:24

They are half the side without Ayew

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 May 2021 17:45

Mid table Swansea without Ayew (potentially) you never know we might have a chance of beating them.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 30 May 2021 19:45

Orion1871 Having referenced our final losses to Bolton and Swansea yesterday Don Goodman brings up the Walsall Final as well.

Can’t really remember the Bolton defeat. Swansea loss hurt but was over in the first half. The Huddersfield defeat was gutting.

For me, the Walsall game was the hardest of them to take. We should have put the tie out of reach in the first half. To screw it up like we did in ET was just heartbreaking.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 May 2021 20:30

royalp-we
Orion1871 Having referenced our final losses to Bolton and Swansea yesterday Don Goodman brings up the Walsall Final as well.

Can’t really remember the Bolton defeat. Swansea loss hurt but was over in the first half. The Huddersfield defeat was gutting.

For me, the Walsall game was the hardest of them to take. We should have put the tie out of reach in the first half. To screw it up like we did in ET was just heartbreaking.

Bolton was easily the worst for me. I really thought we were there, on the brink of seeing top division football at Reading. I thought we were up. I really couldn't see Bolton pulling it back. To let in a late equaliser, set up, I believe, by a player who shouldn't have been on the pitch, was hard to take. I really thought that was our one chance, and believed it was gone to happen. I was gutted after that.

The other three were just extremely annoying.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 May 2021 21:42

tmesis
royalp-we

Bolton was easily the worst for me. I really thought we were there, on the brink of seeing top division football at Reading. I thought we were up. I really couldn't see Bolton pulling it back. To let in a late equaliser, set up, I believe, by a player who shouldn't have been on the pitch, was hard to take. I really thought that was our one chance, and believed it was gone to happen. I was gutted after that.

It was painful but being in the PL at that time would have been a strange affair as we would have very likely not hosted games at EP.

Believe SJM had already looked at Loftus Road as a temporary home as we either renovated EP or built a new stadium a few years earlier than we did.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 31 May 2021 23:31

Stranded
tmesis
royalp-we

It was painful but being in the PL at that time would have been a strange affair as we would have very likely not hosted games at EP.

Believe SJM had already looked at Loftus Road as a temporary home as we either renovated EP or built a new stadium a few years earlier than we did.

It was mentioned, but I can't imagine we'd have made much more playing at another ground, so it wouldn't have been worth it. We could probably upped Elm Park's capacity by another 2000 or so with extra safety work. We had just under 17000 in there v Arsenal in the cup a few years earlier, and that was fine.

Long term, Elm Park wouldn't have been viable without a complete rebuild.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 01 Jun 2021 12:18

The Bolton Play Off final defeat was the worst; we played some great football to beat Tranmere in the semi final, and then took Bolton apart for an hour - Lee Nogan's goal was brilliant, and frankly, you couldn't see us not winning that game. But the missed penalty when we were 2-0 up was the killer, and after injuries to key players such as Nogan and Bernal, we basically ran out of steam on the day.

26 Years ago.......... :shock:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Jun 2021 12:34

Mr Angry The Bolton Play Off final defeat was the worst; we played some great football to beat Tranmere in the semi final, and then took Bolton apart for an hour - Lee Nogan's goal was brilliant, and frankly, you couldn't see us not winning that game. But the missed penalty when we were 2-0 up was the killer, and after injuries to key players such as Nogan and Bernal, we basically ran out of steam on the day.

26 Years ago.......... :shock:

Worst day of my life as a Reading supporter. It’s the only Wembley or Cardiff major occasion I didn’t attend.
When Gilkes was brought down for the pen I was shouting at the tv for McAteer to be sent off. He was already on a yellow.

When Bolton pulled it back to 2-1 I couldn’t bear to watch and went for a drive in my car. Whilst driving and praying the game was over and ET wasn’t being played I turned the radio on only to hear the game was still live. The first words I heard were those of Jimmy Armfield saying “It’s all Bolton now”. So not only had Bolton pulled it back to 2-2 but had gone ahead in ET.

Took me ages to accept that defeat.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Jun 2021 13:06

Bolton was worst by a mile, pretty much due to what's been said and at the time it did feel like our once in a lifetime shot at the top tier had gone. FWIW I think we would have played at Elm Park if we'd won as I believe there was a three year grace period to get the necessary number of seats installed. Weren't Wimbledon at Plough Lane back then? That was far worse than EP.

Of the others Walsall is next worst, probably the only one where we were favourites to win, then Hudds as that was winnable if we'd gone for it.

The Swansea one I expected us to lose, they had a better side than us fair and square, and I always thought their forward line would be too much for our slow, ageing defence

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Jun 2021 13:09

I have only seen the last 2 play-off final defeats, for me Huddersfield was the worst as at 3-1 up in the shoot-out I thought we were finally going to do it.

Swansea just blitzed us hard early doors and while I always wonder about what could have been when Karacan hit the post at 3-2, it never hurt as bad.