Re: Record Watch 21/22

by genome » 15 Mar 2022 21:53

And 106 is safe 8)

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 15 Mar 2022 21:58

genome And 106 is safe 8)
But could do with Wigan dropping a point.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Mar 2022 22:00

Horsham Royal

Yeah when I say safe, I mean no-one can beat it. I doubt Wigan will win every remaining game

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 15 Mar 2022 22:03

genome
Horsham Royal

Yeah when I say safe, I mean no-one can beat it. I doubt Wigan will win every remaining game

Agree. And the Chump record is 100% safe :-)

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 16 Mar 2022 02:11

Fulham and Rotherham can only get 104 now

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 17 Mar 2022 21:27

Watching these teams threaten our points record just goes to show just how good we really were that season; and not forgetting also being the earliest promoted team in the Football League too.

But it also hurts a little too when you think about what an opportunity we had finishing 8th in the Premier League the following season and we just didn't invest. It sadly coincided with SJM's other businesses failing and he saw it as an opportunity to claim back the many loans we owed him, that to be fair to him, he probably never expected to get back; but the timing was so typically awful.

Great memories. I just hope we get more chances at the top table.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 17 Mar 2022 22:23

Weymouth Royal Watching these teams threaten our points record just goes to show just how good we really were that season; and not forgetting also being the earliest promoted team in the Football League too.

But it also hurts a little too when you think about what an opportunity we had finishing 8th in the Premier League the following season and we just didn't invest. It sadly coincided with SJM's other businesses failing and he saw it as an opportunity to claim back the many loans we owed him, that to be fair to him, he probably never expected to get back; but the timing was so typically awful.

Great memories, Hanneman throwing one in against Watford else we would have been in Europe, something else Mr Madge was worried about affording

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 18 Mar 2022 22:18

72 bus
Weymouth Royal Watching these teams threaten our points record just goes to show just how good we really were that season; and not forgetting also being the earliest promoted team in the Football League too.

Great memories, Hanneman throwing one in against Watford else we would have been in Europe, something else Mr Madge was worried about affording

It was Coppell who didn’t want European football not Madejski. His mate at Ipswich George Burley told him it killed them.

We could still have taken part n a prelim to get into Europe but we declined .

I may have my timelines mixed up but If memory serves me , in favour of a pre-season tour to … South Korea ???

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Mar 2022 22:32

The Peace Cup. We beat a Lyon side including Karim Benzema 1-0 and missed out on a final against Bolton on goal difference.

We beat Lyon and Shimizu S Pulse but lost to River Plate.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Mar 2022 22:45

Vision
72 bus

It was Coppell who didn’t want European football not Madejski. His mate at Ipswich George Burley told him it killed them.

We could still have taken part n a prelim to get into Europe but we declined .

I may have my timelines mixed up but If memory serves me , in favour of a pre-season tour to … South Korea ???
Intertoto Cup wasn’t it?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2022 23:16

Peace cup sounds right.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 18 Mar 2022 23:43

From Despair To Where? The Peace Cup. We beat a Lyon side including Karim Benzema 1-0 and missed out on a final against Bolton on goal difference.

We beat Lyon and Shimizu S Pulse but lost to River Plate.

That’s the badger . Simon Cox scored didn’t he ?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Mar 2022 06:17

Intertoto Cup was the UEFA competition we declined to take part in. Newcastle qualified for the UEFA Cup through it and ended up winning the Intertoto (whichever team stayed in the UEFA Cup longest after qualifying via the Intertoto won the cup).

Peace Cup was indeed the South Korean tournament. Simon Cox scored, Hal Robson-Kanu played a bit.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Mar 2022 09:37

Am I right in remembering that if we had won at Blackburn, or Bolton lost and we drew, we would've been in?

If Coppell really didn't want it, he made a good job of hiding it by getting his team to play one of the most exciting games of the season with the result still coming out in his favour.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Mar 2022 11:22

Hendo Am I right in remembering that if we had won at Blackburn, or Bolton lost and we drew, we would've been in?

If Coppell really didn't want it, he made a good job of hiding it by getting his team to play one of the most exciting games of the season with the result still coming out in his favour.

Whether he wanted it or not, there's no way Coppell would throw a game to get what he wanted.

And there's no way the players would have done it if he'd asked them.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 Mar 2022 10:09

Snowflake Royal Whether he wanted it or not, there's no way Coppell would throw a game to get what he wanted..

I'd refer you to the number of changes for the last home match, vs Watford, that season.

I'd also refer you to Coppell's approach to team selection for the FA Cup, a competition which he didn't want to be in because he felt the squad wasn't big enough and resilient enough.

He'd maybe not throw a game, but he'd certainly choose teams to tip the odds the way he wanted it to end...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Mar 2022 10:48

Dirk Gently
Snowflake Royal Whether he wanted it or not, there's no way Coppell would throw a game to get what he wanted..

I'd refer you to the number of changes for the last home match, vs Watford, that season.

I'd also refer you to Coppell's approach to team selection for the FA Cup, a competition which he didn't want to be in because he felt the squad wasn't big enough and resilient enough.

He'd maybe not throw a game, but he'd certainly choose teams to tip the odds the way he wanted it to end...

Oh piss off Dirk, he rotated his squad. He didn’t try to lose games.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 Mar 2022 10:59

Snowflake Royal
Dirk Gently

Oh piss off Dirk, he rotated his squad. He didn’t try to lose games.

At the time he said he was "rotating the squad to allow some of the fringe players a chance to play in front of a home crowd..."

But the words " try to lose games" are entirely yours. We know he put out under-strength teams in the FA Cup because that competition wasn't important to him, and we know he said he absolutely didn't want to play in Europe. Putting out a below strenth team against Watford would be consistent behaviour. He may not have "tried to lose" but he was probably not terribly upset when that under-strength team did lose.

You cling onto the unquestioning mythology that he was absolutely infallible and perfect in every single way if you like, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it is a duck in my view.