Injury watch 2021/22

948 posts
Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Injury watch 2021/22

by Donny Ironside » 13 Sep 2021 13:37

oxf*rd sake

typical us. how do we get so many bad injuries.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Sep 2021 13:52

I think Southwood can do a job and may prove to be an upgrade on Rafael. Let’s give him a chance.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Sep 2021 13:55

royalp-we
Stranded Just checked: An emergency loan needs all professional keepers at the club to be out so unless Southwood drops down injured too, it will be him with CBC on the bench for however long Rafael is out for.

So what you’re saying is our only option is to go with Southwood (who fluffed his Championship debut against Huddersfield in May) and CBC who is yet to make a professional appearance.

What a great position to be in :|

Yes - or to put it another way - we go with our 23 year old highly regarded back up keeper who has made 53 starts in the professional game at varying levels including 5 for us - whilst giving our very highly regarded youth keeper experience of being involved in a league game. Remember we are also not obliged to name a substitute goalkeeper.

I'm not sure what else you would expect the club to do? We have been a conveyer belt of well regarded keepers for years now - the bit missing has been the ability to step into the first team as the route has often been blocked by a Walker or a Bond style keeper. Now we have the chance to allow one of them to possibly get a few games under his belt - which any keeper needs to be able to establish themselves and it's panic time.

This is the exact situation that we have kept Southwood on rather than letting him go and join another club.

If he gets injured or sent off then we are able to get an emergency loan in - this is normally a 7 or 14 day loan which can be extended as needed - not the way forward really. As I understand it, if you bring a keeper in on emergency loan, you have to play them - else there is no emergency. The emergency keeper is likely to be someone not in a squad elsewhere so either a Scott Carson type who has barely played in 2 years or a young kid from another club - so go with our own highly regarded keeper please.

If we do get someone in then the EFL are doing us a massive favour and bending their own rules.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Sep 2021 13:58

NathStPaul RFC Exclusives reports Rafael is injured. Club looking for an emergency loan.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Southwood for me, the guy’s meant to be good isn’t he? It’s not as if he’s 19 and never played a first team game is it, he’s 24 in Desmber, played youth football at international level so must be reasonably decent. If he’s got the ability that many on here go on about than he should be able to take his opportunity and make something of it.

And as I recall if there’s one position the Reading do seem to be able to produce decent quality youngsters for it’s goalkeepers, eg. Jamie Young, Jamie Ashdown, Alex McCarthy, does Feds count?, Jokull Andresson (and Southwood is basically why Andresson is out on loan and not warming the bench every week).

Give him his chance against a supposed weaker side in the division and see how he goes. The real problem is the slapstick that goes on immediately in front of him and whether it’s wise to introduce a less experienced player into a key position before that mess is sorted out.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Sep 2021 14:00

think Rafa is quite a big part of that mess tbh

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 13 Sep 2021 14:02

Hound think Rafa is quite a big part of that mess tbh

Yep. He gets a way with a hell of a lot by being Mr Smiley and obviously a nice bloke in interviews etc. He is a very average goalkeeper imo.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 13 Sep 2021 14:06

Sutekh
NathStPaul RFC Exclusives reports Rafael is injured. Club looking for an emergency loan.

Southwood for me, the guy’s meant to be good isn’t he?

Did you watch the Huddersfield game in May?

Massive difference between being understudy to Rafael and starting behind a leaky back line.

Just feel this will end badly and it’s too soon for the lad. Hope to be proven wrong.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Sep 2021 14:15

royalp-we
Sutekh

Southwood for me, the guy’s meant to be good isn’t he?

Did you watch the Huddersfield game in May?

Massive difference between being understudy to Rafael and starting behind a leaky back line.

Just feel this will end badly and it’s too soon for the lad. Hope to be proven wrong.

One dead rubber game in a team that just wants the season over after missing the play-offs is hardly a massive sample size is it? Has always done pretty well in his cup appearances.

Like any keeper, a run of games will see him improve - if he has the talent many believe he has.

yuomi

by yuomi » 13 Sep 2021 14:16

If it's too soon for him, even as a GK who tend to peak later, there's no way we should have been offering him a new contract at 23.

If not now, then when? He is Rafael's understudy so this is literally what he's here for.

Based on the Huddersfield game i'm not that happy about the idea of Southwood, but them's the breaks.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Sep 2021 16:55

According to the EP Rafael has a broken hand suffered in the “aftermath” of Saturday’s game. Out for about 2 months. What exactly the “aftermath” means god only knows.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 13 Sep 2021 16:56

Stranded
NathStPaul
Zip
Yep have Andresson back as number two.

I read somewhere we cannot recall him. Not sure if that is 100% though.

You can't recall season long loans outside a transfer window - and only then if we wrote a break clause into the contract.

I'd be surprised if we are allowed an emergency loan given we have Southwood who can and should start, as well as CBC who can go on the bench. If we lost a second keeper, then I think a loan would be viable.

Injuries are certainly doing a number on us - assume this was picked up in the match but interesting* that CBC warmed up on Saturday so there may have been a slight question mark over Rafael going into the game.

Sweepstake on length out - 3 to 4 months is standard now isn't it?

Dont know about the away games but Boyce Clarke has been warming up with the first team keepers at every home game this season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Sep 2021 17:53

Orion1871
Stranded
NathStPaul I read somewhere we cannot recall him. Not sure if that is 100% though.

You can't recall season long loans outside a transfer window - and only then if we wrote a break clause into the contract.

I'd be surprised if we are allowed an emergency loan given we have Southwood who can and should start, as well as CBC who can go on the bench. If we lost a second keeper, then I think a loan would be viable.

Injuries are certainly doing a number on us - assume this was picked up in the match but interesting* that CBC warmed up on Saturday so there may have been a slight question mark over Rafael going into the game.

Sweepstake on length out - 3 to 4 months is standard now isn't it?

Dont know about the away games but Boyce Clarke has been warming up with the first team keepers at every home game this season.

Makes sense for him to step up to the bench then.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Sep 2021 17:59

Now or never for Southwood, and couldn't have happened at a better time for him, as things really can't get much worse.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Sep 2021 19:05

I'm not massively convinced by Southwood but what's the point in extending his contract if we're not going to play him when the need arises.

Not sure we have any grounds to bring in an emergency loan anyway.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 13 Sep 2021 19:08

If you’re not ready at 23 then there is something wrong with the academy.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Sep 2021 19:10

Brogue If you’re not ready at 23 then there is something wrong with the academy.

All hail the sweeping statement.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 13 Sep 2021 19:12

Stranded
Brogue If you’re not ready at 23 then there is something wrong with the academy.

All hail the sweeping statement.

Think there are plenty of examples of late bloomers in the game. History suggests there is nothing wrong with our academy, quite the opposite in fact.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Sep 2021 20:11

Given what's in front of him. Fear that he lacks the commanding presence in the box that's required.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Sep 2021 20:17

Time for those in front of him to do their job then?

plus some

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Sep 2021 20:34

Ya man Jonathan Low reporting Rafael broke his hand punching a whiteboard after the game :lol: Can't make this shit up.

948 posts