114 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (h)

by Sutekh » 11 Aug 2021 08:15

When : Saturday 14th August 2021, 3pm
Where : Select Car Leasing Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

First ever proper home game at the new home of Reading FC. After the juniors failed to impress v Swansea the big guns are back in town for a standard league bash against a bunch of dirty northerners (though these days Preston’s players are most likely not particularly dirty nor particularly northern).

Reading really have to get something from this before they truly are playing catch-up and having to play the West Brom’s, Fulham’s and Sheffield United’s of the division. Trouble is the squad is starting to get beyond paper thin by carrying injuries to Araruna (mind you Murty started his right back life at Reading by being permanently crocked and it eventually came good there), Meite and Joao’s shoulder being somewhat iffy not to mention the “slight” problem with Ejaria - which knowing Reading’s luck will just drag on and on and on.

Preston are under new management. Frankie McAvoy (sounds like jockey to me) now runs things. They did not start the season well either, crashing at home to new boys Hull I believe, but did make up for it by fielding a strong side in the League Cup for a win at a Mansfield this week.

Scott Sinclair, Tom Barkhuizen and Emil Riis Jakobsen are possibly the pains in the arse to watch out for for Preston while god alone knows who will be in threatening mood for Reading. Hopefully Swift and Ejaria will both be fit and Joao will have his goal scoring head on.

As no-one has a clue (probably even the FL) about just what the hell Reading are allowed to do transfer-wise this window who knows what personnel might be available for the game by Friday afternoon. Reading seem suddenly to be being linked with 3 midfielders:

Louie Sibley (a rising star at an equally financially problematic Derby (but don’t ask how on earth Reading could afford a fee for him - or why Derby would let him go on loan to a rival))

Manchester United’s young James “Rockford” Garner and

Out of contract Alen Halilovic (previously of Barcelona but last wound up for a few games at Birmingham at the end of last season).

yet no senior left back and no backup striker which are the more desperate areas to cover. Perhaps Kadeem “Triallist” Harris might finally be on the cards, which would be a different attacking option at least, but then again perhaps not. We’ll probably all wake up on deadline day still being none the wiser and still hoping someone might join. But then the last “embargo” was suddenly ended by spending around £13m out of the blue on two players so just what the squiddly does anyone know.

Referee

Joshua Smith for his 6th game at Division 2 level.

Previously

05 Sep 2020 > Reading 3-1 Colchester United (League Cup)

Historically

This will be the 31st league game with Preston in Reading. Reading has been a bit of a graveyard for visiting Preston teams down the years (pretty much like Deepdale is for visiting Reading teams) with Reading ahead by 19 wins to 5.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and go to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (h)

by NathStPaul » 11 Aug 2021 09:02

Joshua Smith is not a good match official.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Aug 2021 09:15

Same team as Swansea right?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Aug 2021 17:34

NewCorkSeth Same team as Swansea right?

Depends on the injury situation. :?

The club is rumoured to be considering selling the spare seats on the bench as as a Matchday Experience to generate some much needed revenue.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2021 17:38

Lower West

The club is rumoured to be considering selling the spare seats on the bench as as a Matchday Experience to generate some much needed revenue.

I'd do that once for up to a couple hundred maybe.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Aug 2021 17:43

Snowflake Royal
Lower West

That’d be the ‘straw that broke the camels back’ for Pauno I’d imagine

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2021 17:45

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Lower West

He'd be putting me on the coaching staff after 20 mins. :wink:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Aug 2021 18:53

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Lower West

You do question how much longer he is personally prepared to be hung out as the public face of the club.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Aug 2021 20:16

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal I'd do that once for up to a couple hundred maybe.

"Chief hindsight analyst"?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2021 22:32

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Hound

"Chief hindsight analyst"?

Head of Morale and Friendship

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Aug 2021 06:31

Lower West

That’d work. Large loud “FFS” heard from bench as Holmes instead of Puscas goes on in the 80th minute with Reading 1-0 down.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 12 Aug 2021 10:16

Sutekh
Lower West

That’d work. Large loud “FFS” heard from bench as Holmes instead of Puscas goes on in the 80th minute with Reading 1-0 down.

You do wonder what the hell is wrong with Puscas.Does he need a long run as a starter to find form,are we playing the wrong system for him,or is he just not any good ?I use to think it was all about the system we have applied;but a 5 mill (?) player should be able to adjust.It does appear that he has been a pretty duff signing after I had high hopes for him when he first started with us.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Aug 2021 10:45

Westwood52 You do wonder what the hell is wrong with Puscas.Does he need a long run as a starter to find form,are we playing the wrong system for him,or is he just not any good ?I use to think it was all about the system we have applied;but a 5 mill (?) player should be able to adjust.It does appear that he has been a pretty duff signing after I had high hopes for him when he first started with us.

I'm not his biggest fan but I am in no way blaming him for his performance and/or attitude on Tuesday night. Playing alongside a load of kids far from good enough to be facing the opposition and with zero support he was on a hiding to nothing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Aug 2021 12:41

Puscas simply isn't a lone striker.

He doesn't do well challenging for hopeful balls up. His first touch isn't great. He doesn't do well knowing how to close down from the front. He doesn't hold up or pass especially well.

His strengths are facing the goal, particularly in the box. If he was in a standard 4-4-2 with a partner he'd be fine.

It's just poor scouting from the club buying a striker who doesn't fit how they want to play.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 Aug 2021 12:43

Shouldn't modern strikers be capable of playing the lone striker or in a partnership, especially one of the supposed pedigree of Puscas?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Aug 2021 12:45

tidus_mi2 Shouldn't modern strikers be capable of playing the lone striker or in a partnership, especially one of the supposed pedigree of Puscas?

Expecting anyone to be able to play in any style is just daft imo. Different players have different attributes. Play to their strengths.

He showed last season he'd improved at it. But he's since had injuries and little game time.

Reckon he'd do fine with Joao. We don't really have the midfield / wide players though. No plan.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Aug 2021 12:48

There is a reason Puscas is with Reading and not at a top club, he's limited. His game is putting the ball in the back of the net, making a nuisance of himself. He needs a hold up man alongside him who can win the headers and create space for him. I think a Joao and Puscas combination could work if given time, Paunovic should give it a go imo.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Aug 2021 12:52

Yeah, the problem then is we have no wingers to feed them. Or you have to drop one of Ejaria, Swift, Rino and Laurent and hope your wingbacks can feed them. But we've got maybe one of them as well.

And in both cases there's nowhere for Meite on his return

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Aug 2021 13:53

Snowflake Royal Yeah, the problem then is we have no wingers to feed them. Or you have to drop one of Ejaria, Swift, Rino and Laurent and hope your wingbacks can feed them. But we've got maybe one of them as well.

And in both cases there's nowhere for Meite on his return

not sure there is any point thinking about Meite fitting in at the moment. Be surprised if Puscas is still at the club by the time he returns

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 13 Aug 2021 10:56

Bit worrying to see Jlo's most recent report where he says Liam has been practising free kicks at training.

114 posts