Coming to the Huddersfield match on Saturday?

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Blind Bigot

Coming to the Huddersfield match on Saturday?

by Blind Bigot » 26 Aug 2021 10:09

A Terriers fan here just to inform you that the pre-match drinks situation near the Stadium has changed. 'The Rope Walk' pub behind the North Stand (opposite end to the away end) which was very welcoming to away fans has been closed by Green King the owners. Our Football Club are trying to buy it but GK are being stubborn. I recall seeing quite a number of Readings fans in there in previous seasons, hence my message to give you the heads up. Other than town centre pubs/bars, which there are many, there's only one other option closer to the Stadium and that's 'The Yorkshire Rose', a large pub on Leeds Road that does food etc is quite welcoming to away fans (I think). Having travelled country wide following Town over the years I now how good to have info about pre-match refreshments etc!

All the best and have a safe journey! :D

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Coming to the Huddersfield match on Saturday?

by Donny Ironside » 26 Aug 2021 11:53

Blind Bigot A Terriers fan here just to inform you that the pre-match drinks situation near the Stadium has changed. 'The Rope Walk' pub behind the North Stand (opposite end to the away end) which was very welcoming to away fans has been closed by Green King the owners. Our Football Club are trying to buy it but GK are being stubborn. I recall seeing quite a number of Readings fans in there in previous seasons, hence my message to give you the heads up. Other than town centre pubs/bars, which there are many, there's only one other option closer to the Stadium and that's 'The Yorkshire Rose', a large pub on Leeds Road that does food etc is quite welcoming to away fans (I think). Having travelled country wide following Town over the years I now how good to have info about pre-match refreshments etc!

I am going.

What is your firm like?

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 26 Aug 2021 13:45

Many thanks for the heads up Blind Bigot.

I’m an exile so we (me and the two sons I have successfully indoctrinated, one has escaped a tortured life of watching RFC, so far!) are planning on going to the game on Saturday and looking forward to my first game in the flesh since February 2020.

That game was a really miserable 3-0 home defeat to Wigan so Saturday will hopefully be an improvement on that.

My first game at your place was a 2-0 away win at Leeds Road in 1988, a rare moment of enjoyment in a grim season for both our clubs.

Has the Sheffield United game and Everton game midweek renewed some optimism? I get the impression your fans are like most of ours at the moment, flatter than a witches tit!

Thanks again and here’s to a good game of football.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Aug 2021 16:16

I’m going, think it will be my 4th or 5th visit but off the beers so no issue :D

That being said fully expect it to be an appalling game between two turgid sides so maybe sans-beer is a bad thing.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Aug 2021 17:22

Whatever happened to the Gas Club near the ground?

I remember going there a few Years ago, getting a round in of 7 lagers, 1 bitter and a large rum and coke, and was shocked to come away with change from a tenner!!

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 26 Aug 2021 18:55

Mr Angry Whatever happened to the Gas Club near the ground?

I remember going there a few Years ago, getting a round in of 7 lagers, 1 bitter and a large rum and coke, and was shocked to come away with change from a tenner!!

That has got to be more than a few years ago, even at northern drink prices! I remember going to a working men’s club in South Shields after our game away at Sunderland and the beer was about 90p a pint and that was 1994-95 season, so it must have been at least 25 years ago.

Was it the opening day 93-94 season game 3-0 away win? Steve Francis making his debut for them, in the Dennis the Menace third kit, one of the best away performances I’ve seen from us.

Blind Bigot

by Blind Bigot » 27 Aug 2021 06:54

Donny Ironside
Blind Bigot A Terriers fan here just to inform you that the pre-match drinks situation near the Stadium has changed. 'The Rope Walk' pub behind the North Stand (opposite end to the away end) which was very welcoming to away fans has been closed by Green King the owners. Our Football Club are trying to buy it but GK are being stubborn. I recall seeing quite a number of Readings fans in there in previous seasons, hence my message to give you the heads up. Other than town centre pubs/bars, which there are many, there's only one other option closer to the Stadium and that's 'The Yorkshire Rose', a large pub on Leeds Road that does food etc is quite welcoming to away fans (I think). Having travelled country wide following Town over the years I now how good to have info about pre-match refreshments etc!

I am going.

What is your firm like?

Don't be silly! 8)

Blind Bigot

by Blind Bigot » 27 Aug 2021 06:56

As far as I know The Gas Club closed during the Covid restrictions and never reopened! :shock:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Aug 2021 14:40

Donny Ironside

I am going.

What is your firm like?

It’s OK, pay could be better but does have subsidised canteen.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 27 Aug 2021 15:20

Sutekh
Donny Ironside

I am going.

What is your firm like?

It’s OK, pay could be better but does have subsidised canteen.

Proper Friday chuckle :D :D

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 27 Aug 2021 15:33

Cheers BB. Will be there tomorrow. Previously had a fantastic pie and peas at the Slubbers Arms washed down by a Tim Taylor. It was so good I have to have another. Not sure if we'll do that or the Vulcan/Cherry Tree.

Not expecting much from this trip but hopefully we score.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 27 Aug 2021 19:14

FWIW this from Stonegate pubs:

I am emailing to see if you have a venue arranged with any of the local bars for your supporters to go to before the game this weekend and away at Fulham on the 18th?
At Stonegate pubs we have hundreds of venues all over the country.
In Huddersfield, we have set up The Crown Hotel as an “Away-friendly” venue and in Fulham we have The Temperence. If this is of interest to you, please let me know asap and I can get you booked in.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 29 Aug 2021 11:35

Mr Optimist

That has got to be more than a few years ago, even at northern drink prices! I remember going to a working men’s club in South Shields after our game away at Sunderland and the beer was about 90p a pint and that was 1994-95 season, so it must have been at least 25 years ago.

Was it the opening day 93-94 season game 3-0 away win? Steve Francis making his debut for them, in the Dennis the Menace third kit, one of the best away performances I’ve seen from us.

We looked great - and played brilliantly in that game!

Looking back, it would appear the "a few Years ago" was actually in the early/mid 2000's - so 15/18 Years ago!

:shock:

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1