BFTG - Huddersfield (A)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Huddersfield (A)

by windermereROYAL » 29 Aug 2021 10:28

Blind Bigot A Terriers fan here again not to rub salt into open wounds but just say we weren’t great by any means but some of the derogatory comments on here about our performance yesterday are unbelievable. I know football is all about opinions and thank goodness for that, however to describe your inept display yesterday as made worse because we are utter shite is ridiculous in the extreme and makes we wonder how some of you see life generally. :shock: All I will add is your performance was matched by your pitiful follow on the day! Rubbish :wink:

I had the choice of visiting Huddersfield or staying home dipping my feet in boiling hot oil. i chose the latter.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Aug 2021 10:30

Blind Bigot A Terriers fan here again not to rub salt into open wounds but just say we weren’t great by any means but some of the derogatory comments on here about our performance yesterday are unbelievable. I know football is all about opinions and thank goodness for that, however to describe your inept display yesterday as made worse because we are utter shite is ridiculous in the extreme and makes we wonder how some of you see life generally. :shock: All I will add is your performance was matched by your pitiful follow on the day! Rubbish :wink:

What derogatory comments are you referring to? Please point out where we have said you were “utter shite?”

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Aug 2021 10:46

Yeah let’s keep it civil gents. We’re not fcuking animals/Stoke fans.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 29 Aug 2021 11:19

How long did it take to get up there and back ?Went to a wedding in Honiton yesterday;3 1/2 hours on A303 getting there and about 2 1/2 hours getting back M5/M4;don’t drive a lot since Covid and cream crackered today.
Got tickets for 20/20 final;anyone know what parking s like round Edgbaston ?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 29 Aug 2021 11:33

Westwood52 How long did it take to get up there and back ?Went to a wedding in Honiton yesterday;3 1/2 hours on A303 getting there and about 2 1/2 hours getting back M5/M4;don’t drive a lot since Covid and cream crackered today.

Not great........

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 29 Aug 2021 11:45

Mr Angry
Westwood52 How long did it take to get up there and back ?Went to a wedding in Honiton yesterday;3 1/2 hours on A303 getting there and about 2 1/2 hours getting back M5/M4;don’t drive a lot since Covid and cream crackered today.

Not great........

Depends how far you are prepared to walk...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Aug 2021 12:13

I lost count how many times you passed the ball out of play under no pressure from us.

In your previous games you couldn’t beat an awful Derby, got tonked by Fulham and narrowly beat Preston and Sheffield Utd and needed a last minute goal to do it when you were probably the second best team.

Of your 3 wins 2 were against teams in the bottom 4 and 1 of them were down there when you played you them. It’s a long season but I would be incredibly surprised if you finished top 10 by the end of it. I’m glad you guys have a sense of optimism from a decent start (we had that last year), it’s nice and I like Huddersfield - I always have ever since our battle-of-the-tinpots when you guys beat us at Wembley. I do think it’s a little sad you have you have to come onto another team’s forum to make silly comments. Thinking you were anything other than average yesterday and that you probably had the easiest game of the season, is just not pragmatic and makes you look naive.

Also nice touch on commenting on away support - I assume you will personally be travelling down to Reading for the reverse fixture? My god, imagine bothering what another human being does with their time and thinking it really matters. You must be a child. Or at least I oxf*rd hope you are otherwise smh.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Aug 2021 12:29

I drove up to Manchester in the morning so was about 2 or so hours at that time, about an hour or so across to Huddersfield for the game and then just under 3 getting home. Overall had a great day just a shame about the football. :lol:

Think one of the silliest was Tuesday night away at Newcastle there and back. We also got hammered iirc.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 29 Aug 2021 12:38

Zip
Elm Park Kid I was fully expecting us to be in the relegation zone or close to it by October. There's just now way around it given the issues we've had to deal with recently

I was interested to see if the manager could mould a team together over that period that would ultimately get us out of it.

But of course I continually underestimate the impatience of our fans. . . . ..

Do you think our fans are any different to fans of the 91 other League teams?
We have the worst defence of all 92 clubs by a distance so far this season and the same failings are recurring and not being addressed.

I'm just saying that our performances and results were completely predictable given what has happened with the squad. It takes time to stitch together a new team - I honestly don't think that any manager would be doing any differently. You could have prime age Alex Ferguson with the ghost of Alf Ramsay as his assistant and it wouldn't change the fact that our team doesn't have enough experience.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Aug 2021 12:40

Elm Park Kid
Zip
Elm Park Kid I was fully expecting us to be in the relegation zone or close to it by October. There's just now way around it given the issues we've had to deal with recently

I was interested to see if the manager could mould a team together over that period that would ultimately get us out of it.

But of course I continually underestimate the impatience of our fans. . . . ..

Do you think our fans are any different to fans of the 91 other League teams?
We have the worst defence of all 92 clubs by a distance so far this season and the same failings are recurring and not being addressed.

I'm just saying that our performances and results were completely predictable given what has happened with the squad. It takes time to stitch together a new team - I honestly don't think that any manager would be doing any differently. You could have prime age Alex Ferguson with the ghost of Alf Ramsay as his assistant and it wouldn't change the fact that our team doesn't have enough experience.

Yet most the team are not new, and we have virtually our full first choice defensive midfield and defence and we have shipped 13 goals in 5 games.

So…..

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 29 Aug 2021 12:41

Blind Bigot All I will add is your performance was matched by your pitiful follow on the day! Rubbish :wink:

I don't know if you know this m8 but there is a bit of a big event that is going on in Reading this weekend.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 29 Aug 2021 13:55

Kitsondinho
Mr Angry

Not great........

Depends how far you are prepared to walk...

Couple of miles.Just seen how much it would cost going by train LOL.However doesn’t look to bad a a walk from New Street ,and there maybe buses from there ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2021 14:42

Thought you were OK, and made the most of our utter ineptitude.

You can of course only beat what's in front of you, which you did handsomely by the scoreline, which, if anything, flattered us. But don't go planning any promotion parties after smashing one of the worst sides in the division.

Let's remember though. You still played the ball out under no pressure half a dozen times. And one of your players managed to nut meg himself and back heel the ball out for our throw without anyone in 10 yards.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Aug 2021 15:28

Just to add a bit of balance...

You may recall I was almost with you last season CountryRoyal as I was one of the only other voices disgusted at Pauno screwing up the season and the manner in which we folded after the first few games, but I stopped short of saying he should go, thinking he deserved a full preseason and a bit of a chance early this season. So trust me I'm no Paunophile.

But here's the thing... he has against his will lost two of his stars in Olise (huge number of assists) and Richards (eventually a quality leftback). In addition to that our three most dangerous players out injured in Joao, Meite and Ejaria.

Thats FIVE dead-cert starters - half the team almost - gone! The crux off all our success out.

Add to that the loss of other players who weren't necessarily good but they were at least slightly decent - enough to plug some holes (eg Aluko - overpaid and had to go, but clearly found some form and was able to contribute, Baldock not great but has scored some important goals for us etc) and all of a sudden you've gone from a star studded team with some half decent backup to a squad with serious holes and no backup. We're having to play kids!

We talk about the defence being much the same but let's not get carried away and pretend it was good enough last season. We finished 7th despite our defence not because of it. Our attack was great and it's the best form of defence. Yes Holmes and McIntyre have been ok in their step-up but they're not brilliant, and still learning. Moore has always been iffy at best. Morro was decent but something has happened to him and he's suddenly gone shit. Same with Yids, but then he's being pulled out of position. Rafael was always average at best. Our first bizarre lucky few games aside these guys managed to leak some dodgy goals and thats WITH Richards in the side. With no LB we're screwed.

Most managers would have a budget and be able to get some people in, but the poor chap hasn't had that luxury. He finally has that option, but only freebies or cheap wage players presumably.

It is totally unfair to have a go at the guy for what he's doing THIS season.

Having said that, I like you do not forgive and forget the crushing capitulation last season and it's on that basis - not this season - that I am not a fan of his and unfortunately this season we are seeing signs of things we felt were a problem last season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2021 17:36

Millsy Just to add a bit of balance...

You may recall I was almost with you last season CountryRoyal as I was one of the only other voices disgusted at Pauno screwing up the season and the manner in which we folded after the first few games, but I stopped short of saying he should go, thinking he deserved a full preseason and a bit of a chance early this season. So trust me I'm no Paunophile.

But here's the thing... he has against his will lost two of his stars in Olise (huge number of assists) and Richards (eventually a quality leftback). In addition to that our three most dangerous players out injured in Joao, Meite and Ejaria.

Thats FIVE dead-cert starters - half the team almost - gone! The crux off all our success out.

Add to that the loss of other players who weren't necessarily good but they were at least slightly decent - enough to plug some holes (eg Aluko - overpaid and had to go, but clearly found some form and was able to contribute, Baldock not great but has scored some important goals for us etc) and all of a sudden you've gone from a star studded team with some half decent backup to a squad with serious holes and no backup. We're having to play kids!

We talk about the defence being much the same but let's not get carried away and pretend it was good enough last season. We finished 7th despite our defence not because of it. Our attack was great and it's the best form of defence. Yes Holmes and McIntyre have been ok in their step-up but they're not brilliant, and still learning. Moore has always been iffy at best. Morro was decent but something has happened to him and he's suddenly gone shit. Same with Yids, but then he's being pulled out of position. Rafael was always average at best. Our first bizarre lucky few games aside these guys managed to leak some dodgy goals and thats WITH Richards in the side. With no LB we're screwed.

Most managers would have a budget and be able to get some people in, but the poor chap hasn't had that luxury. He finally has that option, but only freebies or cheap wage players presumably.

Having said that, I like you do not forgive and forget the crushing capitulation last season and it's on that basis - not this season - that I am not a fan of his and unfortunately this season we are seeing signs of things we felt were a problem last season.

There's so much wrong with this I almost don't know where to start.

But let's build from the back, unlike Pauno.

It's clear the defence really wasn't the problem tail end of last season. We conceded about 54 total, which is far from awful, and setting Norwich aside 13 in 10 at the end of the season. So consistently a little over 1 a game.

Even setting aside Huddersfield, we're at more than 2 a game this season. And they aren't going to be top 2 that seems for sure.

You talk about using the kids, but our defence was at its meanest last season with Holmes. Yes we've lost Richards but he was hardly known for the defensive side of his game, decent as it was.

You've only got to watch to see far greater disorganisation and sub par performances from players who performed far better last season.

Defence and defensive midfield, bar LB is basically our least changed and in theory strongest part of the team. But it's a cluster oxf*rd.

Last season scoring was a bigger problem. 12 in 10 (excluding Norwich still). Worse than we conceded. This season we've actually started scoring quite well. Pushing toward 2 a game (again still excluding Huddersfield), better than the tail end of last season. Now it was never likely to be sustained, but again you only have to look at games to see us playing reasonably well going forward. So the issue really isn't losing all those attacking players, especially seeing as we've basically gained Swift back. It wouldn't have mattered how many the attack got against Huddersfield the defence would have leaked more.

I really don't think personnel is the issue. The defence and midfield is good enough to be playing much much better. The rest of the team did enough to pick up points v Cov and Stoke, maybe Bristol. There is a huge issue with direction and coaching IMO. I also don't think the players aren't trying. I just think they're applying themselves really badly and don't know what they're supposed to do / can't or won't do it.

I don't like sacking managers, and I don't think now is the time, but there's nothing performance wise from Pauno to defend him and whilst the finances are a shambles he's got plenty to work with in our weakest areas.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 01 Sep 2021 14:18

why cant you leave us to wallow in our bitterness and h8 you bastard!
are three points not enough for you?!

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 01 Sep 2021 14:56

CountryRoyal Not even sure what to say. Complete and utter ineptitude.

Each week I’m sure we can’t play any worse and then the next game I’m unpleasantly surprised how we outdo ourselves and surpass our own mediocrity. I was doubtful we’d win but expected it to be a bit closer than that, wasn’t even that bothered for the rest of the game because the moment they scored their first you knew it was game over. Cynically, the case could be made we looked defeated long before the goal actually came, with any meaningful attack coming from Huddersfield.

I’m not a fan of the old “how did we lose to x they are shit” but the most genuinely frightening part is that we got torn to shreds and completely outclassed by an extraordinarily ordinary Huddersfield. They really were not very good and they looked a league above us - which if we continue like this is precisely what will happen.

If I had to describe us in one (descriptive) word, it would be passive. We are passive with the ball, without it, going “forward”, and when we’re “defending”. It’s like we want the opposition to just sit down and let us pass through them. The playing “style” is horrific. Slow, ponderous, sloppy sideways passes until a 40 yard ball. Even if Puscas manages to get on the end of it he doesn’t have the ability to hold it up or really do much with it. At one point today we applauded something we would have groaned at last year, such is the rarity of him retaining possession. Additionally individual performances are rubbish and we are completely void of any quality.

Defending… umm. Worst defensive record in the top 4 divisions, by some margin as well. 50/50s are actually 95/5s to the opposition, we are second to literally everything and get bullied off the ball far too easily. We just look like we are a second behind the game taking place, we never get close enough and when you think we’re in a prime position to win it, we come away without the ball and the other team are in a dangerous position. Time and time again. Positionally we are abject. It’s just an absolute shambles all over the pitch.

Ultimately the buck stops with the manager. Unfortunately last season I was fairly alone when I said I wanted him gone - i’d seen us snatch failure from the jaws of success repeatedly with arguably one of our most talented squads ever. Time and time again he’s demonstrated either stubbornness or ineptitude or just baffling “decisions” and thought processes that you can’t find a sane defence for him. A lot has been made of our finances and the troubles we’ve had but are you telling me that these players aren’t capable of more? Bollocks. I have no doubt this group would perform better even without a manager, where they can play to their strengths and not hamper them with some bullshit laborious play style which more resembles 11 players who have just met for the first time than an actual team.

I’ll do ratings but they’re basically going to be the same as every other game.

Cabral 4 - if I had a quid for every time I said he cannot kick the fcuking ball.

Holmes 6 - looked like the only one to give a oxf*rd at times and won a lot but beaten too many times for pace in the second half.

Morro 5 - did well first half but second was all over the shop.

Moore 2 - his haircut is better than his performances which is saying something as it’s really really shit. Complete liability.

Yiadom 2 - not his fault but I don’t want to ever see him at left back ever again. It was painfully obvious against Coventry he shouldn’t be playing there as he was constantly standing in the middle of nowhere absolute miles away from any opposition player. Managed to get closer today but just utterly hopeless.

Laurent 3 - league one Laurent. A couple of nice balls but what has happened to him? He’s a big lad but gets shoved off the ball like he’s an U13 girl. So many sloppy passes to players about 4 yards away. No understanding or communication with Rino.

Rinomhota 4 - game just passes him and Laurent by, middle of the pitch had so many gaping holes Lisa Ann would be proud.

TDB 3 - rubbish. Looks like he could be good on the ball but then runs into danger and loses possession tamely. Perfect
Reading player. Zero end product.

Swift 5 - better than the rest going forward but still not a lot going on. Crowded out the moment he gets the ball in dangerous positions and his team mates aren’t good enough to help him.

Hoilett 3 - Toilett hoilett. Had to. Awful.

Puscas 4 - Puts in the graft but we all know he’s not a lone striker. I’m was a Puscas fan but more and more I’m growing in the belief he just isn’t very good. At anything.

Happy Saturday x

Late to the party but CR summed things up pretty well. That looked like a team wanting their manager to get sacked which unfortunately is all too common these days. Players fed up down tools so the manager gets the push. The fact he probably deserves it with his record over the last 20 games or so should not be ignored though.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Sep 2021 17:07

Tilehurstsouthbank
CountryRoyal Not even sure what to say. Complete and utter ineptitude.

Each week I’m sure we can’t play any worse and then the next game I’m unpleasantly surprised how we outdo ourselves and surpass our own mediocrity. I was doubtful we’d win but expected it to be a bit closer than that, wasn’t even that bothered for the rest of the game because the moment they scored their first you knew it was game over. Cynically, the case could be made we looked defeated long before the goal actually came, with any meaningful attack coming from Huddersfield.

I’m not a fan of the old “how did we lose to x they are shit” but the most genuinely frightening part is that we got torn to shreds and completely outclassed by an extraordinarily ordinary Huddersfield. They really were not very good and they looked a league above us - which if we continue like this is precisely what will happen.

If I had to describe us in one (descriptive) word, it would be passive. We are passive with the ball, without it, going “forward”, and when we’re “defending”. It’s like we want the opposition to just sit down and let us pass through them. The playing “style” is horrific. Slow, ponderous, sloppy sideways passes until a 40 yard ball. Even if Puscas manages to get on the end of it he doesn’t have the ability to hold it up or really do much with it. At one point today we applauded something we would have groaned at last year, such is the rarity of him retaining possession. Additionally individual performances are rubbish and we are completely void of any quality.

Defending… umm. Worst defensive record in the top 4 divisions, by some margin as well. 50/50s are actually 95/5s to the opposition, we are second to literally everything and get bullied off the ball far too easily. We just look like we are a second behind the game taking place, we never get close enough and when you think we’re in a prime position to win it, we come away without the ball and the other team are in a dangerous position. Time and time again. Positionally we are abject. It’s just an absolute shambles all over the pitch.

Ultimately the buck stops with the manager. Unfortunately last season I was fairly alone when I said I wanted him gone - i’d seen us snatch failure from the jaws of success repeatedly with arguably one of our most talented squads ever. Time and time again he’s demonstrated either stubbornness or ineptitude or just baffling “decisions” and thought processes that you can’t find a sane defence for him. A lot has been made of our finances and the troubles we’ve had but are you telling me that these players aren’t capable of more? Bollocks. I have no doubt this group would perform better even without a manager, where they can play to their strengths and not hamper them with some bullshit laborious play style which more resembles 11 players who have just met for the first time than an actual team.

I’ll do ratings but they’re basically going to be the same as every other game.

Cabral 4 - if I had a quid for every time I said he cannot kick the fcuking ball.

Holmes 6 - looked like the only one to give a oxf*rd at times and won a lot but beaten too many times for pace in the second half.

Morro 5 - did well first half but second was all over the shop.

Moore 2 - his haircut is better than his performances which is saying something as it’s really really shit. Complete liability.

Yiadom 2 - not his fault but I don’t want to ever see him at left back ever again. It was painfully obvious against Coventry he shouldn’t be playing there as he was constantly standing in the middle of nowhere absolute miles away from any opposition player. Managed to get closer today but just utterly hopeless.

Laurent 3 - league one Laurent. A couple of nice balls but what has happened to him? He’s a big lad but gets shoved off the ball like he’s an U13 girl. So many sloppy passes to players about 4 yards away. No understanding or communication with Rino.

Rinomhota 4 - game just passes him and Laurent by, middle of the pitch had so many gaping holes Lisa Ann would be proud.

TDB 3 - rubbish. Looks like he could be good on the ball but then runs into danger and loses possession tamely. Perfect
Reading player. Zero end product.

Swift 5 - better than the rest going forward but still not a lot going on. Crowded out the moment he gets the ball in dangerous positions and his team mates aren’t good enough to help him.

Hoilett 3 - Toilett hoilett. Had to. Awful.

Puscas 4 - Puts in the graft but we all know he’s not a lone striker. I’m was a Puscas fan but more and more I’m growing in the belief he just isn’t very good. At anything.

Happy Saturday x

Late to the party but CR summed things up pretty well. That looked like a team wanting their manager to get sacked which unfortunately is all too common these days. Players fed up down tools so the manager gets the push. The fact he probably deserves it with his record over the last 20 games or so should not be ignored though.

You expect someone earning a £1m a year or whatever to be competent. Over the course of last season as a whole. We appeared one dimensional and easy to play against. Season 2 like Stam was tactically. Pauno is woefully short of ideas. Opposition teams have us sussed.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Sep 2021 17:46

Snowflake Royal

It's clear the defence really wasn't the problem tail end of last season. We conceded about 54 total, which is far from awful, and setting Norwich aside 13 in 10 at the end of the season. So consistently a little over 1 a game.

Even setting aside Huddersfield, we're at more than 2 a game this season. And they aren't going to be top 2 that seems for sure.

You talk about using the kids, but our defence was at its meanest last season with Holmes. Yes we've lost Richards but he was hardly known for the defensive side of his game, decent as it was.

You've only got to watch to see far greater disorganisation and sub par performances from players who performed far better last season.

Defence and defensive midfield, bar LB is basically our least changed and in theory strongest part of the team. But it's a cluster oxf*rd.

Last season scoring was a bigger problem. 12 in 10 (excluding Norwich still). Worse than we conceded. This season we've actually started scoring quite well. Pushing toward 2 a game (again still excluding Huddersfield), better than the tail end of last season. Now it was never likely to be sustained, but again you only have to look at games to see us playing reasonably well going forward. So the issue really isn't losing all those attacking players, especially seeing as we've basically gained Swift back. It wouldn't have mattered how many the attack got against Huddersfield the defence would have leaked more.

I really don't think personnel is the issue. The defence and midfield is good enough to be playing much much better. The rest of the team did enough to pick up points v Cov and Stoke, maybe Bristol. There is a huge issue with direction and coaching IMO. I also don't think the players aren't trying. I just think they're applying themselves really badly and don't know what they're supposed to do / can't or won't do it.

I don't like sacking managers, and I don't think now is the time, but there's nothing performance wise from Pauno to defend him and whilst the finances are a shambles he's got plenty to work with in our weakest areas.

I am of course trying to add balance, which is always difficult when my gut feeling like yours is the opposite. But it's only fair to Pauno, whose heart is in the right place and is trying his hardest.

Our exchanges at the tail end of last season were me being livid at f**kup Pauno presided over suggesting he is on very thin ground - one of the few *almost* calling for his head, and you defending him iirc. I may be wrong, in which case we've been on the same side for longer than I thought.

In further defence of Pauno though, to add to this discussion - attack is the best form of defence, and when you have the likes of Joao, Meite, Olise and Ejaria terrorising you, you're going to be limited in your attack so the defence have an easier time. When you lose that and you have a Puscas, and some kids dicking around outside your 18yd box you can go forward more. Or another way to look at it is that in order to have anywhere near the attacking prowess we had last season we have had to play a lot more attacking, thus compromising our defence i.e. Bristow was involved in two of our goals, great but he's meant to be a left back. Basically I'm suggesting you can't just look at the personnel left in isolation and say they're pretty much the same people so they should be as good. Teams attack and defend with 11 men. Lose your teeth and it affects the whole team.

HOWEVER this is somewhat clutching at straws to try to defend Pauno... what on earth is it about this season that makes so incredibly inept defensively. Has Pauno suddenly gone mad? From my point of view the cracks were already there last season. We have a somewhat dodgy keeper, Moore has always been hit and miss, and Holmes/Mac are good but still kids in fairness. Holmes was a great right back in our fluke period of wonder but then everyone was amazing in that period. Morro has lost it. We were moaning at zonal marking throughout last season. These guys were responsible for big defeats, and even defeats against 10-men relegation certs. And that's with Richards.

If I'm being honest, my take is that we had cracks last season which were papered over by a) luck and b) a formidable attack. We've lost the formidable attack, lady luck f**ked off months ago, we've lost Richards, Morro has lost his superpowers, and now Pauno's ineptitude of zonal marking, no direction, treating every striker like Joao etc is plain for all to see.

I do like the guy though and like probably all of us desperately hope his signings can get him out of this.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2021 18:25

Millsy
Snowflake Royal

I am of course trying to add balance, which is always difficult when my gut feeling like yours is the opposite. But it's only fair to Pauno, whose heart is in the right place and is trying his hardest.

Our exchanges at the tail end of last season were me being livid at f**kup Pauno presided over suggesting he is on very thin ground - one of the few *almost* calling for his head, and you defending him iirc. I may be wrong, in which case we've been on the same side for longer than I thought.

In further defence of Pauno though, to add to this discussion - attack is the best form of defence, and when you have the likes of Joao, Meite, Olise and Ejaria terrorising you, you're going to be limited in your attack so the defence have an easier time. When you lose that and you have a Puscas, and some kids dicking around outside your 18yd box you can go forward more. Or another way to look at it is that in order to have anywhere near the attacking prowess we had last season we have had to play a lot more attacking, thus compromising our defence i.e. Bristow was involved in two of our goals, great but he's meant to be a left back. Basically I'm suggesting you can't just look at the personnel left in isolation and say they're pretty much the same people so they should be as good. Teams attack and defend with 11 men. Lose your teeth and it affects the whole team.

HOWEVER this is somewhat clutching at straws to try to defend Pauno... what on earth is it about this season that makes so incredibly inept defensively. Has Pauno suddenly gone mad? From my point of view the cracks were already there last season. We have a somewhat dodgy keeper, Moore has always been hit and miss, and Holmes/Mac are good but still kids in fairness. Holmes was a great right back in our fluke period of wonder but then everyone was amazing in that period. Morro has lost it. We were moaning at zonal marking throughout last season. These guys were responsible for big defeats, and even defeats against 10-men relegation certs. And that's with Richards.

If I'm being honest, my take is that we had cracks last season which were papered over by a) luck and b) a formidable attack. We've lost the formidable attack, lady luck f**ked off months ago, we've lost Richards, Morro has lost his superpowers, and now Pauno's ineptitude of zonal marking, no direction, treating every striker like Joao etc is plain for all to see.

I do like the guy though and like probably all of us desperately hope his signings can get him out of this.
Bristow is a left back, but he was playing left wing this season. McIntyre was LB.

Still think you're hugely overemphasising the attack last season. It really wasn't that strong, especially tail end.

Whole problem is coaching based imo. I don't think Pauno has any defence for the defensive shambles we've been. Not that there's any point in sacking him. Not that it will stop us.