Is it the right time to sack the manager ?

Getthebeerens

Is it the right time to sack the manager ?

by Getthebeerens » 28 Aug 2021 20:27

Terrible result and performance today and obviously a lot noise for the manager to be relieved of his duties. (To be fair there was some absolute howlers individually today)

However is now the right time to go down that route ?

We have just signed Junior Hoilett, Alen Halilovic, Baba Rahman and if rumours are to be believed we are trying to bring in Danny Drinkwater and Andi Zeqiri as well. We could have a completely different side come the next league game.

With the poor situation that Pauno has inherited around FFP and injuries I feel we need to give him another 5 games and use this international break as a mini pre season to get things going again.

Let’s face it if we do sack him we are just going to make a similar appointment again and probably be in the same situation in 12 months time.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Is it the right time to sack the manager ?

by 72 bus » 28 Aug 2021 20:37

Getthebeerens Terrible result and performance today and obviously a lot noise for the manager to be relieved of his duties. (To be fair there was some absolute howlers individually today)

We have just signed Junior Hoilett, Alen Halilovic, Baba Rahman and if rumours are to be believed we are trying to bring in Danny Drinkwater and Andi Zeqiri as well. We could have a completely different side come the next league game.

With the poor situation that Pauno has inherited around FFP and injuries I feel we need to give him another 5 games and use this international break as a mini pre season to get things going again.

Let’s face it if we do sack him we are just going to make a similar appointment again and probably be in the same situation in 12 months time.

Signing Junior Hoilet is exactly the right time to sack the bloke how signed off on that transfer if you are serious about staying in this division

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 28 Aug 2021 20:42

He should have gone at the end of the season. It was only heading in one direction. When it was put to him that we’ve only won 2 games in 17 or whatever it is in the post match interview, he said we cannot use the end of season results and the beginning of this seasons as they are two different seasons :|. Not sure who told him that, but just goes to show the guy is deluded. The time to sack a manager is when you think they are unable to turn things round. And that’s now.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Aug 2021 20:45

Just what we need a third thread on the future of the manager.

Hatty9

by Hatty9 » 28 Aug 2021 21:21

NO
Let’s have the international break then give him 5 games with the new players a bit more settled in.
We are in for a struggle this season and 5 games won’t make or break it.
He over achieved last season regardless of the end I for one think he deserves a bit more time

Marcus Crassus

by Marcus Crassus » 28 Aug 2021 21:43

Hatty9 NO
Let’s have the international break then give him 5 games with the new players a bit more settled in.
He over achieved last season regardless of the end I for one think he deserves a bit more time

QPR, lose, Peterborough maybe a draw, Fulham lose. That would be 4 points from 24 - that's not sacking form, rather it's more like prosecution. Face the facts, Pauno is looking right down the barrel and as manger, it's his job to sort it out.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 28 Aug 2021 23:22

Hatty9 NO

Yeah I tend to agree, no point letting him sign these players and not giving him a chance with them. Pauno certainly isn’t blameless but can’t think of a Reading manager in the past who has had to work in such difficult circumstances.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Aug 2021 23:41

Getthebeerens Terrible result and performance today and obviously a lot noise for the manager to be relieved of his duties. (To be fair there was some absolute howlers individually today)

Only one of them.is a defender and we can't defend with decent defenders

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 29 Aug 2021 08:39

Snowflake Royal

I think our biggest issue defensively is how we press as a team. But surely it will help having a left back playing left back and then Right back playing right back allowing the likes of Holmes and McIntyre to compete for there natural positions. Right now the team pretty much picks itself as we don’t have anyone else.

My biggest issue with sacking Pauno is that I don’t trust we will make a decent appointment in replacing him. It will just be another unknown manager with no championship experience that we hope will be good.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Aug 2021 09:15

No but not because Paunovic is the right fit for 2 reasons.
Pauno has just signed players to mould into what he think will work. If we sack him a new manager has to come in and make work what Pauno has designed as this is the only way these players will work together. If they were going to do it they should have pulled the trigger in June.
2 he has a contract till next summer if he can keep us in the league till then no severance package that being said if we are still relegation fodder by Xmas the change will have to be made.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Aug 2021 09:53

Getthebeerens
Snowflake Royal

I think our biggest issue defensively is how we press as a team

Agree - first goal in particular stands out like a sore thumb. Other than Puscas chasing the ball, not a single midfielder pressed up towards the man on the ball. All the time in the world to pick a target

Compare their first goal to how teams press up and there’s a world of difference

Sure, our defence has been shambolic but there’s a lack of cohesiveness across the park

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2021 14:27

The number of times this season I've see Laurent 5 yards behind a break through watching is truly depressing.

Feel he's got a bit big for his boots.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Aug 2021 16:41

linkenholtroyal Pauno has just signed players to mould into what he think will work. If we sack him a new manager has to come in and make work what

Loans and one year contracts will result in us being in the same position next summer. Though possibly in an even worse position if first team regulars depart. There's no long term strategy at board level. The same reason the other clubs under ownership have failed. Mismanagement.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Aug 2021 16:59

Lower West
linkenholtroyal Pauno has just signed players to mould into what he think will work. If we sack him a new manager has to come in and make work what

Loans and one year contracts will result in us being in the same position next summer. Though possibly in an even worse position if first team regulars depart. There's no long term strategy at board level. The same reason the other clubs under ownership have failed. Mismanagement.

Can’t plan long term really when we are under this FFP soft embargo

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 Aug 2021 16:59

Lower West

I don't think we are making these short team deals as a strategy. It's more that we aren't allowed to do anything else.

That said, I do agree we are clueless overall. If there was a strategy at all over the last few years, it's just been to throw money at it, and hope we'll go up to pay for it all.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 29 Aug 2021 23:01

URZZZZ
Getthebeerens
Snowflake Royal Only one of them.is a defender and we can't defend with decent defenders

I think our biggest issue defensively is how we press as a team

Agree - first goal in particular stands out like a sore thumb. Other than Puscas chasing the ball, not a single midfielder pressed up towards the man on the ball. All the time in the world to pick a target

Compare their first goal to how teams press up and there’s a world of difference

Sure, our defence has been shambolic but there’s a lack of cohesiveness across the park

2 weeks to get it sorted now. Our strength was Rinomhota and Laurent combo last season. If we can get that working again I’m sure things will start looking a lot better for us. Maybe the closure of a transfer window will also help some players regain focus as well.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Aug 2021 14:23

It could well be, given the end of last season and abysmal start to this season. A new manager may get a bounce and enough to guide us to mid table, but I don't see anything changing long term.

If you look at recent managers, I don't think any can complain about their dismissal apart from Bowen, and that hardly feels like a grave error either. The problem is the club don't appear to have a clear plan or identify for managers to fulfill. Stam, Clement, Gomes, Bowen, Pauno. How many similarities and consistencies are there across the appointments? I don't see a style of play for players to learn or recruitment to be based upon. We go from one short term solution to another, and inevitably managerial appointments are never high calibre as we're not in a position to attract such managers.

We need a CEO, DoF, academy structure and scouting network with a clear vision and identity, and then we can appoint a manager who is the right fit and take us to the next level.

Our squad actually isn't bad, particularly if a few more come in this window. But that's not enough to build success.

So Pauno can't complain if he goes. A new manager could give us a bounce and stave off relegation, but will probably struggle long term too and be in the same place in 12 months. And if we continue to follow this model, eventually a mid season appointment won't work and we'll end up in League 1. There is only so long that you can run your club like a circus and get away with it.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Aug 2021 22:19

The investment in new signings means he gets longer to get it right, at least until the next international break for me. Let's see what he can get out of the new players and see where we are come mid October.

bagman

by bagman » 30 Aug 2021 23:45

I totally agree with previous posting. We seem to be driven by agents in our signings without clear structure. What are our priorities. Surely a defender with pace and a big striker. Bring back Nick Hammond :

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 31 Aug 2021 00:32

Eddie said earlier these are firmly Paunos signings. He’s talking to the players, doing most of the work. These are Paunos signings that he’s working hard for and he’s managed to seal four in five days. Takes a lot of dedication and commitment to pull that off, he’s doing a job that usually three different men are appointed by the club to do because Pang is useless when it comes to footballing affairs- alarming as he’s supposed to be the one in charge of replacing Pauno if he goes and selling the project to them!

I’d give him until the next international break now, we can’t sack him after he did all that and alienate the signings that he’s convinced to join.