Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Manager

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Oct 2021 19:45

Will you hurry-up and retire...jeez

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Oct 2021 19:49

Fukk off you old slag. Just glad I’m missing Wales v All Blacks next Saturday to watch Reading v Bournemouth. Not sure which game is going to be the most one sided.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 Oct 2021 20:36

From Despair To Where?
Larry_Parnell If anyone listens to the 'Undr the cosh' podcast a few players talk about their experience of Parky as a manager and not one of them rates him and most seem to hate him, a recent episode was even called 'Parky's Trapdoor' after a story about him in it. After hearing so many players slag him off I'd be concerned about him managing us.
If you do fancy a listen plenty of Reading related episodes including Glen Little, Nicky Forster, Martin Allen, Michael Duberry......

Listened to that. He comes across as an appalling man manager.

I guess he demands of his players what he himself did on the pitch-total commitment for the whole game and probably players aren't all as self-motivated as they should be.
A very likeable bloke that I have met a couple of times but maybe not cut out to be the arm- round- the- shoulder type of manager.

Similarly Martin Allen hasn't cut it either and at the top level Souness was never the top manager that he was expected to be.
Although a totally different type of player it seems to be a similar story with Hoddle who just couldn't understand why players were unable to do or see on a pitch what he could.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Oct 2021 21:29

South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?
Larry_Parnell If anyone listens to the 'Undr the cosh' podcast a few players talk about their experience of Parky as a manager and not one of them rates him and most seem to hate him, a recent episode was even called 'Parky's Trapdoor' after a story about him in it. After hearing so many players slag him off I'd be concerned about him managing us.
If you do fancy a listen plenty of Reading related episodes including Glen Little, Nicky Forster, Martin Allen, Michael Duberry......

I guess he demands of his players what he himself did on the pitch-total commitment for the whole game and probably players aren't all as self-motivated as they should be.
A very likeable bloke that I have met a couple of times but maybe not cut out to be the arm- round- the- shoulder type of manager.

Similarly Martin Allen hasn't cut it either and at the top level Souness was never the top manager that he was expected to be.
Although a totally different type of player it seems to be a similar story with Hoddle who just couldn't understand why players were unable to do or see on a pitch what he could.

Listen to the podcast, it was absolutely the opposite. Was scared of making difficult decisions or confrontation

Examples?

Player had twice come off the bench and scored. Parky told him he was a definite starter for the next game. Didn't pick him. When the player mentioned that he'd told he would definitely start the next game, Parky changed the team.

Would always seem to disappear whenever a player wanted to talk to him, hence "Parky's Trapdoor" I.e, he must have a trapdoor in his office.

Would bottle giving bad news face to face and would do it by voicemail. He'd ring them and hang up if they answered.

The players thought he was weak.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Oct 2021 09:25

When you discuss realistic options who would want to come to us and take the job, it becomes one of the biggest arguments to give Pauno more time.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 25 Oct 2021 10:07

From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?

Listen to the podcast, it was absolutely the opposite. Was scared of making difficult decisions or confrontation

Examples?

Player had twice come off the bench and scored. Parky told him he was a definite starter for the next game. Didn't pick him. When the player mentioned that he'd told he would definitely start the next game, Parky changed the team.

Would always seem to disappear whenever a player wanted to talk to him, hence "Parky's Trapdoor" I.e, he must have a trapdoor in his office.

Would bottle giving bad news face to face and would do it by voicemail. He'd ring them and hang up if they answered.

A bit sad to hear all of that.
I'll still just think of him as the player he was with us and accept that management isn't necessarily the job for him beyond playing-file in the same category Jimmy Quinn.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2021 11:57

From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?

Examples?

That's dreadful and a sign of a guy drowning.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Oct 2021 12:17

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal

Examples?

That's dreadful and a sign of a guy drowning.

...and that was a season they made the League 1 play offs.

The player also said that Parky had told him he would get a new contract then left him a voicemail saying that he couldn't offer him what he deserved, despite not actually discussing any figures.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 25 Oct 2021 17:11

WestYorksRoyal When you discuss realistic options who would want to come to us and take the job, it becomes one of the biggest arguments to give Pauno more time.

+1000

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 25 Oct 2021 17:57

Pepe the Horseman Gunnarsson is the current manager of HK in the Premier Division of Icelandic football, after helping them to a promotion in his first season with the team.

Yes please x

+1

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Oct 2021 18:00

When the time is right....not now...+2

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Oct 2021 18:11

South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?
South Coast Royal

Examples?

A bit sad to hear all of that.
I'll still just think of him as the player he was with us and accept that management isn't necessarily the job for him beyond playing-file in the same category Jimmy Quinn.
JQ, great example

Thought he did ok for us when McGhee threw to the wolves (lol) with Micky G
Quinnie was always at his managerial best when doing it as a player-manager and scoring goals, (and that included his NL days..Hayes, Nantwich etc.)....different times, different pay-scales......lorry driver now isn’t he?

Still have the highest regard for him and the good times he gave us.

Parky (I’m afraid) I see as damaged goods.......managing Wrexham might develop his potential?
Nothing other than his long ago Colchester days have rung a successful endorsement.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Oct 2021 19:36

AthleticoSpizz When the time is right....not now...+2

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 26 Oct 2021 20:51

Gunny Fishcake
Pepe the Horseman Gunnarsson is the current manager of HK in the Premier Division of Icelandic football, after helping them to a promotion in his first season with the team.

Yes please x

+1

This would be such a feel good appointment for the club!! The word "Legend" was created for guys like gunnarsson, purly for the nutmeg and assit for Schlong against Liverpool.

If our Chinese owners want to make a statement to us fans, then this would be the appointment, and you never know he may even turn out to be a great manager!!
I may be wrong here, but didn't Potter (Brighton) manage a club in this league?

So its a massive +100000000000 from me :D :D

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 26 Oct 2021 20:56

Crowbar6753
Gunny Fishcake

Yes please x

+1

This would be such a feel good appointment for the club!! The word "Legend" was created for guys like gunnarsson, purly for the nutmeg and assit for Schlong against Liverpool.

If our Chinese owners want to make a statement to us fans, then this would be the appointment, and you never know he may even turn out to be a great manager!!
I may be wrong here, but didn't Potter (Brighton) manage a club in this league?

So its a massive +100000000000 from me :D :D

And maybe he could convince Ingimarrson to give him a hand :D :D :D

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 26 Oct 2021 21:24

Does it ever occur to people that it's pointless calling on the manager to go given our owners' track record of hiring managers? I mean - we sack Pauno then they'll just find another rando with no experience of English or high-level football.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 26 Oct 2021 22:16

Elm Park Kid Does it ever occur to people that it's pointless calling on the manager to go given our owners' track record of hiring managers? I mean - we sack Pauno then they'll just find another rando with no experience of English or high-level football.

Maybe it's time for the fans to push back a bit!! i get the owner likes to stay in the background and keep quiet, however, he does have his own staff in upper management who report back to him, and allegedly he watches all the games toboot.

So let's take Gunnarsson for instance, maybe some well placed banners, some chanting by Club 1871 and maybe even "STAR" giving upper management a cheeky letter "Hey chaps, there's this ex player from 15 yrs ago who happens to be a bit of a club legend, and happens to be in management and by all accounts is doing pretty good....could be a cheaper option as well and us fan's would be well chuffed with this appointment !!! or something like that :D :D

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Oct 2021 10:23

As it stands, Pauno will be leaving come the summer as his contract runs out.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Oct 2021 15:55

Stranded As it stands, Pauno will be leaving come the summer as his contract runs out.

Other than for the money and blight on his personal reputation why would he wish to stay. Probably has learnt a lot and will seek a new better challenge.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Oct 2021 16:20

Lower West
Stranded As it stands, Pauno will be leaving come the summer as his contract runs out.

Other than for the money and blight on his personal reputation why would he wish to stay. Probably has learnt a lot and will seek a new better challenge.

Why would him staying be a blight on his reputation?

Maybe he is settled in the area, maybe his family has settled and he doesn't want to move on again.

Maybe he actually likes managing Reading.

There could be many more reasons to stay at Reading, other than the money.