1018 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Out of Contract 2022

by Stranded » 27 Jun 2022 09:00

NathStPaul
Hound
NathStPaul Amazing how many suddenly aren't fussed about certain players. You were lauding them a few months ago when you thought they'd be staying. Fickle.

Isn’t the other way round with you saying you wanted all these players gone and then suddenly you think they’ll be massively missed now they’ve gone elsewhere?

Of course in an ideal world we would be replacing those players from the past season who failed us.

What you're failing to realise/in denial about is that we won't be able to replace them with players anywhere near as good thus making us even weaker.

Lesser players, although I'm not sure what lesser means really given Laurent for example was a free from Shrewsbury, can make a better team - doesn't mean it will work out like that of course.

Anyway, given the update via Star that every offer has to go through 3 stages at the EFL to be ratified, it's beginning to feel like a bit of a miracle that we've managed to do what we have done to date. Expecting no more than a trickle throughout the summer now and just hoping we don't need too much come deadline day.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 27 Jun 2022 09:02

The issue for me isnt losing Rino and Laurent, its that we're basically going to have to replace them with players that teams like Cardiff and Stoke either didnt want, or weren't aware of. So we have to hope the club can come up with some brilliant moves and the signing of Lumley doesn't inspire much confidence that they'll be able to

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jun 2022 09:16

Simon's Church The issue for me isnt losing Rino and Laurent, its that we're basically going to have to replace them with players that teams like Cardiff and Stoke either didnt want, or weren't aware of. So we have to hope the club can come up with some brilliant moves and the signing of Lumley doesn't inspire much confidence that they'll be able to

Some if may com down to availability at the time as well as general interest. For example, a Arsenal or Chelsea loanee may be more interested in joining us knowing they are going to play 80% of games, whereas they may only be a squad player at the aforementioned.

I personally don't think Lumley is that bad of a signing. Yes, not inspiring, but we don't really need to be inspired as such, we just need some reliable players. Lumley did ok with Boro last season, I think it's been made out that he was incompetent when that isn't really true, he did ok but had an error in him, of course Boro will be vying for promotion and he isn't at that level, which is fair enough, not everyone will be. Ince is another who was pretty reliable for us when on loan here.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jun 2022 09:22

According to JLow/Star article Hoilett has been offered a Contract now

Azeez coming close to ‘a conclusion’ so guess we’ll hear shortly

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jun 2022 09:45

I suppose we will know within days seen as they are free agents as of Friday.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Jun 2022 10:12

Didn`t realise agent fees came within the EFL financial restrictions, so that`s even less we can pay out in wages.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Jun 2022 13:14

YorkshireRoyal99
Zip Next season is an important one for Ejaria. I would like to see him play in an advanced central role instead of playing wider. Time to deliver. He has the ability but not the end product. We need goals and plenty of assists from him next season. He has to deliver.

Yeah I don't think he's a wide player, he'd be far better off operating centrally for me personally. Good feet with the ball so would be able to get through tight spaces or potentially draw fouls in dangerous areas and possibly create from there as well.

Have never agreed with this, would have said most players who have “good feet with the ball” and can get through “tight spaces” are better off playing slightly wider. Far fetched comparison to an extent given the discrepancy in quality but he (should) play in a similar vein to Grealish who plays in the “Ejaria” position

Think people are just trying to excuse his all round disappointing end product. Four successive managers haven’t given him a go in that CAM area and that’s telling enough, even during periods of Swift being injured

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Jun 2022 13:19

Hound According to JLow/Star article Hoilett has been offered a Contract now

Azeez coming close to ‘a conclusion’ so guess we’ll hear shortly

Azeez - keep saying it - but this is the one for me! Get it over the line.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 Jun 2022 13:20

He's going Paul, time to face facts.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jun 2022 13:34

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99
Zip Next season is an important one for Ejaria. I would like to see him play in an advanced central role instead of playing wider. Time to deliver. He has the ability but not the end product. We need goals and plenty of assists from him next season. He has to deliver.

Yeah I don't think he's a wide player, he'd be far better off operating centrally for me personally. Good feet with the ball so would be able to get through tight spaces or potentially draw fouls in dangerous areas and possibly create from there as well.

Have never agreed with this, would have said most players who have “good feet with the ball” and can get through “tight spaces” are better off playing slightly wider. Far fetched comparison to an extent given the discrepancy in quality but he (should) play in a similar vein to Grealish who plays in the “Ejaria” position

Think people are just trying to excuse his all round disappointing end product. Four successive managers haven’t given him a go in that CAM area and that’s telling enough, even during periods of Swift being injured

It depends how you interpret it ultimately. Ejaria is capable of holding onto the ball under pressure and turning out of tight spaces would be more beneficial for me in a central area where spaces are naturally limited, he may be tightly marked and it might be more rewarding if he can turn away from his man 30 yards from goal in a central position rather than 30 yards from goal in a wider position. Obviously each to their own opinion.

I think he was bought as a midfielder to play in central zones under Gomes when we went to a 3-5-2 during his short spell in his second season (using that term lightly of course), but again, that's just me. Can fully understand the argument of, other managers have predominately used him as a wide player, but I just don't think that's where we can get the best out of him.

A lot of the best teams usually have their wide players being more direct, intense and look to get to the byline in inside positions in behind full backs or between full back and central defender. Ejaria just won't give us that out wide. Ejaria plays too much in front of the defence, rather than looking to penetrate it with runs which is why I think we could make use of him in central positions, rather than coming off the flanks. Understand the Grealish comparison in terms of playing style, but I can't see Ejaria fulfilling that sort of role, he just doesn't look to run in behind enough for me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jun 2022 14:24

Interesting to see Holmes suggest he and Pauno didn’t get on brilliantly. Sounds like he’d have left if Ince hadn’t come in

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jun 2022 14:25

Ejaria - no doubts a big season for him and likely to be crucial for how well we do if he stays

Fwiw wouldn’t be that bothered what previous managers have done with him being as they were all pretty useless

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jun 2022 14:57

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99

He won’t be able to dwell on the ball as much in the middle, because he won't have the sideline protecting one entire flank, so it'll be sink or swim.

More room to twist and turn but I suspect that'll just mean less progress forward.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jun 2022 15:35

Hound Ejaria - no doubts a big season for him and likely to be crucial for how well we do if he stays

Fwiw wouldn’t be that bothered what previous managers have done with him being as they were all pretty useless

There may even be a case of someone high up within the club wanting us to play Ejaria in a certain position or the team playing in a certain way, or formation.

No evidence of that whatsoever, but not unheard of from the hierarchies of football clubs and I wouldn't be surprised if we were one of the few where people at boardroom level tried taking over events in the dressing room to an extent. It's nice to speculate I suppose.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 Jun 2022 15:46

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound Ejaria - no doubts a big season for him and likely to be crucial for how well we do if he stays

There may even be a case of someone high up within the club wanting us to play Ejaria in a certain position or the team playing in a certain way, or formation.

No evidence of that whatsoever, but not unheard of from the hierarchies of football clubs and I wouldn't be surprised if we were one of the few where people at boardroom level tried taking over events in the dressing room to an extent. It's nice to speculate I suppose.

Who higher up would have wanted this? There was nobody higher up at the club to demand this sort of thing.

You'll make excuses for Ejaria but claim that Rinomhota and Laurent were poor for 18 months? You talk some absolute bollocks at times YR.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jun 2022 16:04

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99

Who higher up would have wanted this? There was nobody higher up at the club to demand this sort of thing.

You'll make excuses for Ejaria but claim that Rinomhota and Laurent were poor for 18 months? You talk some absolute bollocks at times YR.

Owner? Agent? Player himself? Etc. As I said, not saying that is the case, but it's not unheard of.

It's not an excuse for Ejaria, it's a speculative theory. Not saying I believe it, but it is something that has happened at other football clubs previously, just read the BBC article about the downfall of Oldham for example.

You really need to start reading things correctly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jun 2022 16:13

Would put ejaria very much in the same group as Laurent and Rino as a decent player who hasn’t performed as well as they should for quite a while

Needs to step up and really influence games this year. He has the ability

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 27 Jun 2022 17:55

Hound Would put ejaria very much in the same group as Laurent and Rino as a decent player who hasn’t performed as well as they should for quite a while

Needs to step up and really influence games this year. He has the ability

He definitely has ability but I just don’t rate him tbh. Give me 7/10 a week player and I’d be happy. I guess realistically if he could step up and perform on a consistent basis he wouldn’t be with us. I’d love him to get POTS 22/23 but I can’t ever see it happening.

1018 posts
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 11:53