Out of Contract 2022

1018 posts
Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Out of Contract 2022

by Norfolk Royal » 16 May 2022 09:22

windermereROYAL So he will be 29 when OOC again if a accepts this deal, 8 years of his career playing for a largely struggling team wouldn`t be a legacy he would be proud of when he hangs up his boots.

Nor would sitting on the bench for a bottom half Premiership team tbf.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 May 2022 09:23

Didn’t think he’d have any interest but if it’s genuinely true he is considering wba he may stay here instead

He does seem very settled and likes the club. But really he should be aiming for a top champ or lower prem team imo

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 May 2022 09:46

Horrible decision by the club to try keep John Swift. The fact he is even considering a new contract is an indication that nobody else is seriously interested in him. Despite his poor end to the season and injury record you'd have thought a decent club would have taken a punt.

All players have a shelf life at a particular club and Swift is well beyond his expiration date at Reading. It would be best for his career and better for us to move on and try something new.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 May 2022 10:06

Well beyond his expiration date? He’s just had his best season for us…

But yes I’m a bit surprised he is considering if indeed he is

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 May 2022 10:26

It's a no brainer for the club to offer Swift a contract. I'd be surprised if he accepts one at the level we can afford - but if so it's only a benefit for us.

Even if we re-sign him, he has a blistering start to the season, and we offload in January, it will be worth it.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 May 2022 10:32

Hound Well beyond his expiration date? He’s just had his best season for us…

He strikes me as quite a humble lad. Perhaps not overly confident. Maybe he feels what he earns with us is more than enough for his lifestyle. I am very surprised the only current interest is from WBA. He is technically good enough for the top flight. That really needs to be his next move. On a free transfer he would be a no brainier for someone like Fulham or Bournemouth.

The issue I have is can we really afford to keep him? We have offloaded Rafael. McNulty’s wages will be gone soon too but we have to shave a lot more off the wages than just those two. What happens if Puscas comes back?

In the meantime can the club start properly communicating. If Bowen is back then bloody well announce it please.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 May 2022 12:05

From Despair To Where? At least I try to back up what I say rather than just blather self righteously.

And you're absolutely spot on with what you said. Including Little's load spell.

Just look at the reactions on the match report to our last game of the 2004/5 at Wigan.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 May 2022 12:16

Hound Apparently offered swift a new 3 year deal and his representatives were ‘extremely impressed with Mark Bowen’s vision’ or something

Interesting. Also interesting JLow suddenly getting lots of positive Bowen stories :wink:

:lol: I think you have added 1+1 and got 2.: It does seem more than coincidental that since Bowen’s apparent return JLow is suddenly picking up exclusives and spinning them positively for Bowen.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 May 2022 12:47

As much as OMA seems to be going through one of his unreasonable phases, Swift has been with us a long time. It feels fairly unusual in modern football.

I do think a fresh challenge is probably in his best interests, but if he wants to stay at <£20k with a relegation pay slash clause then we can certainly benefit.

Just our lack of budget means we could use his wages to fund the wages of two decenr players with a better fitness record

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 16 May 2022 13:01

Snowflake Royal

As much as OMA seems to be going through one of his unreasonable phases, Swift has been with us a long time. It feels fairly unusual in modern football.

I do think a fresh challenge is probably in his best interests, but if he wants to stay at <£20k with a relegation pay slash clause then we can certainly benefit.

Just our lack of budget means we could use his wages to fund the wages of two decenr players with a better fitness record

100% This

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 May 2022 13:17

Zip

He strikes me as quite a humble lad. Perhaps not overly confident. Maybe he feels what he earns with us is more than enough for his lifestyle. I am very surprised the only current interest is from WBA. He is technically good enough for the top flight. That really needs to be his next move. On a free transfer he would be a no brainier for someone like Fulham or Bournemouth.

The issue I have is can we really afford to keep him? We have offloaded Rafael. McNulty’s wages will be gone soon too but we have to shave a lot more off the wages than just those two. What happens if Puscas comes back?

In the meantime can the club start properly communicating. If Bowen is back then bloody well announce it please.

I've met Swift quite a few times and he's a really nice bloke including at the Wycombe v MK Dons playoff game and clearly loves the club. I'm glad we've offered him a new deal, he deserves to be our best earner even if he gets a wage cut to £18k/week and anyone who wants us to get rid of him is basically hoping we get relegated. We would have gone down without his contributions.

He would be hard to replace. I'm not convinced by Ejaria and would rather we moved him on instead.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 May 2022 13:21

Snowflake Royal

He probably would benefit from a new club. But we dont know what terms the club have offered him. He may only be offered £15k a week which is a big cut for him, if he was willing to accept that then its a no brainer.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 May 2022 13:29

Royal_jimmy
Zip

anyone who wants us to get rid of him is basically hoping we get relegated. We would have gone down without his contributions.

Did you watch us the season before last? Believe we came 7th, a season in which Swift was available for little periods (I’m aware we had Olise at this point but the point remains that there’s always alternatives). We may/may not have gone down without his contributions this season, but no one knows either way.

The problem is that we become so over reliant on Swift to create it can become fairly one dimensional. Lose Swift and it forces you to adapt. No doubt he’s got quality but as I said last summer, losing him won’t be as much of an issue that is made out

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 May 2022 13:31

URZZZZ
Royal_jimmy
Zip

anyone who wants us to get rid of him is basically hoping we get relegated. We would have gone down without his contributions.

Did you watch us the season before last? Believe we came 7th, a season in which Swift was available for little periods (I’m aware we had Olise at this point but the point remains that there’s always alternatives). We may/may not have gone down without his contributions this season, but no one knows either way.

The problem is that we become so over reliant on Swift to create it can become fairly one dimensional. Lose Swift and it forces you to adapt. No doubt he’s got quality but as I said last summer, losing him won’t be as much of an issue that is made out

To play devil's advocate on that, I think if we had Swift for most of least season, maybe even for just half of last season, we'd have secured a play off place. When we were struggling towards the end of the season, I really felt we were missing a little bit of magic he can provide.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 May 2022 13:41

Hendo
URZZZZ
Royal_jimmy

To play devil's advocate on that, I think if we had Swift for most of least season, maybe even for just half of last season, we'd have secured a play off place. When we were struggling towards the end of the season, I really felt we were missing a little bit of magic he can provide.

Possibly right, we did draw a lot of games towards the back end of last season where perhaps Swift could have provided the moment of quality to get the win

It’s more comments like “we would have gone down without his contributions” that is rather odd IMO as that’s impossible to say

Sometimes players end up staying at a club too long without the club making enough progress and I think that’s the case with Swift (and Moore tbf) here. Both been here for 6 seasons and we’ve been disappointing for four of those, not including last seasons collapse (and the best season being their first ones). Course it isn’t their fault but sometimes it’s better for a newer and fresher approach

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 16 May 2022 13:44

Jesus!! I have no idea why people are trying to spin this as a negative. Yes he has been here a while, so what.
Take out his name and then repeat - we are trying to sign a player who got 13 assists and 10 gaols in the Championship last season on free and within our budget.
If he signs and we get a 6 point deduction, I am very sure his contributions to the entire season will more than make up for that.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 May 2022 13:45

Royal_jimmy
Zip

I've met Swift quite a few times and he's a really nice bloke including at the Wycombe v MK Dons playoff game and clearly loves the club. I'm glad we've offered him a new deal, he deserves to be our best earner even if he gets a wage cut to £18k/week and anyone who wants us to get rid of him is basically hoping we get relegated. We would have gone down without his contributions.

He would be hard to replace. I'm not convinced by Ejaria and would rather we moved him on instead.

The trouble is paying him £18k a week amounts to almost one million of our budget. If we were able to move Moore on then fair enough but unless that happens I just don’t think Swift is affordable.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 May 2022 13:50

Coppells Lost Coat Jesus!! I have no idea why people are trying to spin this as a negative. Yes he has been here a while, so what.
Take out his name and then repeat - we are trying to sign a player who got 13 assists and 10 gaols in the Championship last season on free and within our budget.
If he signs and we get a 6 point deduction, I am very sure his contributions to the entire season will more than make up for that.

Not sure (m)any will see it as a negative if he signs a new contract, except the odd person here or there

But I also don’t think losing him will be as devastating as what is being made out. Besides, aren’t we waiting for Ejaria’s goal contributions by playing him more centrally :wink:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 May 2022 14:11

Zip
Royal_jimmy
Zip

The trouble is paying him £18k a week amounts to almost one million of our budget. If we were able to move Moore on then fair enough but unless that happens I just don’t think Swift is affordable.

Whilst I share the concerns on how signing him back on would affect the budget the simple fact is we don't know the plan. Bowen has come in and seems to be making moves and, if what the report suggests is true and Bowen's plan is impressive enough then I will be, fully supportive of him resigning. I think people are only questioning it as most has written him off as on his way and taken his salary off the bill.

Keeping Swift could also be why Joao is apparently available - there is a feeling that if we have Swift, we could afford to have a more "standard" striker, who may not offer the same as Joao but be as or more likely to score a decent percentage of the changes Swift creates.

Finally, we simply don't know the structure of the deal. We are under embargo and measures this year, not next. So we may have offered a structured deal which offers say 12k pw next year, doubling next year - or with a bonus of some description - means we can afford to keep him this year on the lower salary and also give us the change to sell him in summer 23 if he's doing well rather than losing him for free now and avoid paying him the higher wage. Bowen may also have sold the deal as, John - you'll be the first name on the team sheet and we will build the entire side around you.

There are ways that this deal could be done to make it viable for all, it's just a question of if you think (or trust) that Bowen is the man to deliver.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 16 May 2022 14:13

Snowflake Royal

That is fine and dandy if the 2 players that we were to sign turn out to be decent and stay fit-quality over quantity?.
I like the idea that Swift will stay as I feel that his contribution could well mean us staying up and for us subsequently have a future in The Championship.

In the past in different circumstances we lost Osborn who arguably was our best ever midfielder and then later on Sidwell another top man in that area-in both instances we suffered badly and I fear that we are going to if Swift does leave.
Top replacements aren't out there just dying to sign for us and nobody of our current squad comes anywhere near him as an attacking midfielder IMHO.

This latest "news" gives me hope.

1018 posts