Out of Contract 2022

1018 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Out of Contract 2022

by morganb » 12 May 2022 15:13

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... t-23935410

The swathes heading for Cardiff City exit, the players Bluebirds are targeting and the deals being worked on

Getting the right characters on board is clearly a big part of Morison's blueprint, and it's no surprise to see Cardiff subsequently linked with some of his former colleagues. Ex-Millwall team-mate Jed Wallace is a player he likes, but a deal is likely to be beyond Cardiff's reach. However, Josh Laurent, who played with Morison at Shrewsbury, is a name firmly on the radar.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 May 2022 15:28

Out of all the places he could go, is Cardiff really that big a step forward than us? Another club struggling with a big wage bill as well.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 May 2022 15:36

YorkshireRoyal99 Out of all the places he could go, is Cardiff really that big a step forward than us? Another club struggling with a big wage bill as well.

They aren't under restrictions though are they? If they are offering him double his money then its going to be hard for him to say no. Would imagine better sides will be after him than Cardiff though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 May 2022 15:40

Suspect most of the division will have some level of interest in him.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 May 2022 15:53

Not as far as I know they aren't no. I don't even know if they are especially close to because I don't know what season their parachute payments run out, could be the season just finished or next season.

But yeah that's what I mean, I reckon a large proportion of the league would be able to offer something similar to Cardiff, wages wise anyway, but a lot with a better overall position.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 May 2022 20:00

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal oxf*rd that. Let em come and get it straight into midfield or over the top into space.

Stop fartarsing about with CBs who you want to be Pirlo and there's not much to press.

Short goal kicks are an abomination

They don't have to be Pirlo. There won't be much to press if our defenders aren't good on the ball and are not capable. It's all about beating the initial press, working overloads etc. That's partly why defenders get brought into the game to play.

Then again, you could also argue our best teams haven’t had ball playing defenders in the slightest. Pearce, Gorkss, Sonko etc etc

Appreciate the game has somewhat evolved since then but really don’t think it’s that important. A good manager will choose a style based on the personnel and not the other way around

Yep. Oh for the days when defenders were supposed to be good at defending and teams wanted to play in the opposition's half, not tediously in their own.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 May 2022 20:02

Coppells Lost Coat Look at all the successful teams that play out from the back - they have a midfield full of movement and technical ability. And thats my point, we could get Laporte at CB and it wouldn't guarantee an improvement of playing out from the back if the midfield dont move for it.

I think we have to face facts, if we want to be successful at playing out from the back we would need to invest heavily on the playing staff and the coaching staff. Which is 100% not going to happen any time soon. Beggars cant be choosers. Dann / Morro are probably in the bracket of better the devil you know. And who knows they may be on lesser money than previous.

People also need to realise that unless you have outstanding players for your level it's not a workable strategy, because without them it's actually fairly trivial to counter

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 May 2022 20:07

I guess there are teams that have done it fairly successfully this season without exceptional players - Swansea to the extreme - Blackpool did it

I’m not particularly wedded to any style but would just like to see it done with properly and with an end goal in mind. Too much of our stuff seems to be play about with it in non dangerous areas and Hope for the best

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 May 2022 20:13

Hound I guess there are teams that have done it fairly successfully this season without exceptional players - Swansea to the extreme - Blackpool did it

I’m not particularly wedded to any style but would just like to see it done with properly and with an end goal in mind. Too much of our stuff seems to be play about with it in non dangerous areas and Hope for the best

But that's what it is for most teams who try it.

It's copying the current fad and not understanding how it works or that it isn't the end goal itself.

The best, most attractive, football we've ever played was under Coppell.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 May 2022 21:08

Re copying the latest fad - I’m not sure it is - genuinely im not sure, not saying your wrong

I don’t see many other teams look as aimless as we do at times; but that could be the opposite of rose tinted glasses whatever they are. I do seem some teams play it well - can think of QPR - again a middling side who played quite nicely, Forest, the top 2, Huddersfield…but can’t say I follow them that closely to see how they exactly went about it

Likewise Luton who really did seem to just run/kick ball hard/foul/dive - doubt their fans are moaning about them being boring

Whilst watching Man City can be one of most dull and soul destroying experiences as a neutral but probably play ‘the best football’ in the country

TLDR - guess it’s all pretty subjective and much more entertaining when you are winning. Unless it’s under Jaap Stam

under the tin

by under the tin » 12 May 2022 22:43

Snowflake Royal
Hound I guess there are teams that have done it fairly successfully this season without exceptional players - Swansea to the extreme - Blackpool did it

It's copying the current fad and not understanding how it works or that it isn't the end goal itself.

You obviously never saw a Mark McGhee/Colin Lee side, then.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 12 May 2022 23:22

Snowflake Royal

Yet, before 2005/6, the football really wasn't that good, possibly because the balance of the team wasn't quite right. All of our successful managers had some really great spells. Some of the stuff under McGhee was great, with less talented players. I'd argue we were most attractive to watch under Pardew before he went full 'moneyball', insisting we were better playing a 4-5-1 instead of having Cureton playing.

Even football under Branfoot was entertaining, when we were winning. I'd say Stam's football was the only winning football that people found a bit dull.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 May 2022 23:27

Can't find Man City boring at all. It's not like they just play it in triangles between the centre backs and the goalkeeper, they've got great attacking players who are capable of magic. De Bruyne most obviously, but Sterling, Foden, Bernardo Silva, Mahrez, Jesus, Gundogan, Cancelo... But then I never had a problem with Stam's football. Rodgers was another matter.

I think our main issue atm is that too much of our style has been "give it to Swift or Joao and hope for the best". Not the first time we've played like that (at times under McDermott our plan was "give it to Kebe" and later "give it to Roberts", and that worked) but since Richards left we've rarely had a proper shape going forward or a defensive structure.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 May 2022 07:40

JLow reckons we’re open to selling Joao

Can understand it tbh. Only a year left on his contract, not sure we could afford to turn down 5m or so

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 May 2022 08:22

under the tin
Snowflake Royal

You obviously never saw a Mark McGhee/Colin Lee side, then.

Nope, just Gooding/Quinn.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 May 2022 08:23

Hound JLow reckons we’re open to selling Joao

Can understand it tbh. Only a year left on his contract, not sure we could afford to turn down 5m or so

Yeah, could fund 3 / 4 / 5 players. But boy what a hole to leave.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 13 May 2022 08:32

Joao is a top top striker on his day but give me a Kitson or Doyle any day of the week. If we can get some money I wouldn’t be against him going tbh.

I am looking forward to seeing a major overhaul of the squad and hopefully a team that can motivate the fans to really get behind them. We could end up doing a crash and burn like Ipswich did a few years ago but my Ipswich supporting mate is really enjoying watching them play again now. The majority of the last few seasons has been terrible to watch and I just hope it can change.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 13 May 2022 08:39

SCIAG Can't find Man City boring at all. It's not like they just play it in triangles between the centre backs and the goalkeeper, they've got great attacking players who are capable of magic. De Bruyne most obviously, but Sterling, Foden, Bernardo Silva, Mahrez, Jesus, Gundogan, Cancelo... But then I never had a problem with Stam's football. Rodgers was another matter.

I think our main issue atm is that too much of our style has been "give it to Swift or Joao and hope for the best". Not the first time we've played like that (at times under McDermott our plan was "give it to Kebe" and later "give it to Roberts", and that worked) but since Richards left we've rarely had a proper shape going forward or a defensive structure.

Agree mostly. When you have one or two players who a clearly above this level you can play any style and it will work as long as you can keep them fit. Richards and Olise last season is prime example and we had the added bonus of Joao.

I genuinely feel that people are really caught up in a playing style rather than an effective style. One you can impose instantly and one requires a lot time and consistent top level coaching by the same manager.
I am in no way saying i am in favour of hoofing it or passing it out from the back - just what ever it takes to cause problems for the other team.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 May 2022 08:57

Yeah 100% effectiveness over what "looks" the best. As has been mentioned, style of football is always subjective, but clubs like Luton this season or Barnsley last season were not complaining about their style because of their results. But, I suppose they aren't used to competing at that level of football either, so they probably just enjoyed the moment.

The one thing I like about teams like Swansea is they have an identity and have had that for years. You know how they are going to play, despite what managers or players come through the door. That's what I think we lack right now, an identity. It probably all does come down to a lack of structure within the club, imbalanced squad etc.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 May 2022 09:15

Snowflake Royal
Hound JLow reckons we’re open to selling Joao

Yeah, could fund 3 / 4 / 5 players. But boy what a hole to leave.

If we did manage to offload Puscas and Joao and get back in 7-10m or so, it’d have a significant impact on our finances. Bin off Moore and even better

1018 posts