Out of Contract 2022

1018 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Out of Contract 2022

by Hound » 18 May 2022 15:31

Nameless
gazzer, loyal royal I understand the retained list needs to be with the EFL by Saturday so we should get some indication on who is being released and who has been offered new deals this week

I thought that sort of thing disappeared with Bosman !
Surely players aren’t ‘retained’ or ‘released’ any more. If a player’s contract expires on 1/6 then he’s a free agent whether we have offered him a new deal or not. Likewise if he has a contract for another year we can’t just wave him off up the road.

Is it partly related to clubs having to pay compensation for u24 players maybe?

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 18 May 2022 15:54

Hound
Nameless
gazzer, loyal royal I understand the retained list needs to be with the EFL by Saturday so we should get some indication on who is being released and who has been offered new deals this week

Surely players aren’t ‘retained’ or ‘released’ any more. If a player’s contract expires on 1/6 then he’s a free agent whether we have offered him a new deal or not. Likewise if he has a contract for another year we can’t just wave him off up the road.

I think the contracts expire at the end of June. I have read somewhere recently that a player must be told by the end of May, if he is not being offered a new contract. I would think though that the player would already have a pretty good idea if talks have not begun during May.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 May 2022 16:54

The Royal Forester
Hound
Nameless

I think the contracts expire at the end of June. I have read somewhere recently that a player must be told by the end of May, if he is not being offered a new contract. I would think though that the player would already have a pretty good idea if talks have not begun during May.

It probably just makes things easier for the players and their agents to discuss deals elsewhere.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 May 2022 17:39

Hound
Nameless

I guess it could be to allow players to find a new club before their wages run out, probably not an issue at the top level but a Div 2 player with a family might not have spare cash to see them through more than a month or two ?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 May 2022 17:39

YorkshireRoyal99
The Royal Forester
Hound

It probably just makes things easier for the players and their agents to discuss deals elsewhere.

They can do that anyway....

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 May 2022 17:52

Nameless
Hound
Nameless

I guess it could be to allow players to find a new club before their wages run out, probably not an issue at the top level but a Div 2 player with a family might not have spare cash to see them through more than a month or two ?

Same as any contractor really. You are normally given a few weeks notice if it is going to be extended or not. Very unusual to just have a contract expire.

List normally broken into those under contract, those returning to parent club, those who you are negotiating with or where an option to extend had been taken and those who are just leaving.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 May 2022 12:45

JLow's at it again - to summarise via https://mobile.twitter.com/RFCLatest he claims:

New deals have been offered to Yiadom, Swift, Laurent, Holmes, Rinomhota (who is apparently on Bristol City's wanted list), Azeez and Hoilett.

The club are also interested in keeping Morrison, although no offer has been made.

Orjan Nyland, Terell Thomas (a bit surprised), Brandon Barker, Alen Halilovic, Felipe Araruna and Marc McNulty are expected to be let go.

Contracts have also been offered to U23s players including Clarke, Camara and Dorsett.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 May 2022 12:52

morganb JLow's at it again - to summarise via https://mobile.twitter.com/RFCLatest he claims:

New deals have been offered to Yiadom, Swift, Laurent, Holmes, Rinomhota (who is apparently on Bristol City's wanted list), Azeez and Hoilett.

The club are also interested in keeping Morrison, although no offer has been made.

Orjan Nyland, Terell Thomas (a bit surprised), Brandon Barker, Alen Halilovic, Felipe Araruna and Marc McNulty are expected to be let go.

Contracts have also been offered to U23s players including Clarke, Camara and Dorsett.

Good work JLow

Pretty much as expected. Prob prefer to keep Dorsett than sign Thomas
Last edited by Hound on 19 May 2022 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 May 2022 12:52

morganb JLow's at it again - to summarise via https://mobile.twitter.com/RFCLatest he claims:

If we managed to get all of those, that would be amazing. Also slightly surprised by Thomas, thought he'd be given a shot.

Even all of those minus Swift and I'd see that as a massive win.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 May 2022 12:55

JLow deserves the clicks so it’s here

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... s-23997592

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 May 2022 12:57

Happy with that.

Thomas was ok, but didn’t standout. His best feature was that he wasn’t slow. If we think we can do better, great. Less so if we end up with Morro, Holmes, McIntyre and Dann as our CBs given how statuesque their pace is. Or the latter three and Moore.

Nyland was poor. Barker was quick, but poor, Halilovic was ok, but probably too expensive to risk for his impact. Araruna and McNulty are the least surprising decisions I can think of.

Basically, good decision making so far if true.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 May 2022 13:31

Nothing really untoward about who we've given offers to and who we haven't. I can't say I'm too disappointed by any of the departures, some were more obvious than others.

Obviously it depends on what they've been offered, but I'd stick my neck out and say that Holmes, Rino, Hoilett, Azeez and Yiadom will all sign. Swift I'm 99% sure won't and Laurent is up in the air still. Wouldn't blame any of them for turning us down for better offers elsewhere though either.

If we were to get Laurent to sign with the aforementioned 5, that's about as good a I'd expect and would be a good starting point for us as well. Just Moore and Puscas to move on from the club as well really.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 May 2022 13:42

Fine with that.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 19 May 2022 13:54

Stranded
Nameless
Hound

Same as any contractor really. You are normally given a few weeks notice if it is going to be extended or not. Very unusual to just have a contract expire.

List normally broken into those under contract, those returning to parent club, those who you are negotiating with or where an option to extend had been taken and those who are just leaving.

That’s different to having to submit retained / released lists to the EFL though.
I was thinking more of the terminology. Once upon a time when a contract ran out the club retained the player’s registration, now the player becomes a free agent. The club can’t ‘retain’ a player unless that player signs a new contract so the list isn’t of ‘retained’ players, it’s just players who have been offered a new contract and may or may not accept it.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 May 2022 14:41

Cannot really argue with the 6 released as none made a major impact. Jury was very much out on Nyland for me so probably best to look elsewhere assuming we are not going to give Southwood another go as number 1 keeper. Thomas a tad unlucky but probably want to see if Moore stays or not first. I know this will be controversial but if we cannot get anyone to pay Moore's wages for a year I would not be averse to him coming back in the squad. He has been a good player for us and he will be playing for his future as it is the last year of contract.

I will be very surprised if we manage to keep Swift or Laurent. Hoping we might have more chance with Yiadom, Rino, Holmes, Azeez and Hoilett. I would like Morrison to stay personally as I thought he was coming back to form by the end of the season and he might have another year left. Personally think giving Dann another year was a mistake, but we are where we are. Morrison > Dann IMO.

The real key for the future will be retaining as much of the Academy talent as possible and so hoping the likes of Camara, Clarke and Dorsett re-sign.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 19 May 2022 15:06

I'd like to see Morrison offered some kind of player-coach role. He seems to be interested in that, and has experience which would be useful to have around the squad even if he's not playing as much.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 May 2022 15:44

Just touching on the academy, I'd be less bothered if Clarke didn't sign, just seems to have fallen away since his brace at Birmingham but would definitely want both Camara and Dorsett to sign and to either have both given some sort of role in the first team squad this season or go on loan for some experience.

Morrison I'm not too bothered about. Been a good servant, good experience there, but we've got Dann who I think is a better player personally speaking anyway, just hasn't had the same game time this season, but from what I've seen I think he's better. If we keep Morrison though, I wouldn't be complaining.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 20 May 2022 07:00

YorkshireRoyal99 Just touching on the academy, I'd be less bothered if Clarke didn't sign, just seems to have fallen away since his brace

I think he was injured. I'd like to think he could see this season as his opportunity. We've seen what he CAN do, given half a chance.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 May 2022 08:33

Clarke only turned 18 this season. It’s normal for players his age to not contribute to the first team.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 20 May 2022 08:44

The fact that we have offered deals to all those players shows that they at least are open to the idea of staying.

If any of them had said they are definately leaving deals would not have been offered (except the to under24's to protect our compensation rights).

1018 posts