Goalkeeper situation now Rafael injured

166 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Goalkeeper situation now Rafael injured

by SCIAG » 15 Sep 2021 12:24

You don’t have to look very hard: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... inst-derby

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Sep 2021 12:31

Snowflake Royal
Brogue
SCIAG If we sacked him for gross misconduct then he would almost certainly take legal action against the club.

If we just released him then we would need to pay up his contract.

In either case, it is unlikely to be financially beneficial.

pretty sure if I punched someone at work it would be classed as gross misconduct and I would be sacked. Why would he take legal action :| under what grounds? wrongful dismisal? as long as they got their HR shit correct and followed the process he wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Yet more nonsense from you :|

Money talks. He earns about £20k a week. He can afford to force a lengthy and costly legal dispute.

Just because he doesn't have a leg to stand on doesn't mean he can't take legal action.

And it's a huge assumption rfc have their hr on order.

Companies settle on claims where they're in the right all the time because it's cheaper and easier. And frequently don't sack people for stackable offences because of potential push back and hassle.

Sorry guys, late to the party again.

Shirley, if he doesn't have a leg to stand on, there's no way he's going to be fit for Saturday anyway

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Sep 2021 13:12

I'm not overly surprised of incidents like this sometimes happening, adrenaline and emotions must be running high after a match, especially when you've just thrown away a 2 goal lead with the equaliser coming in injury time.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Sep 2021 13:14

Snowflake Royal And it's a huge assumption rfc have their hr on order.

:| its huge assumption that they don't...

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Sep 2021 13:17

:roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Sep 2021 13:21

Brogue
Snowflake Royal And it's a huge assumption rfc have their hr on order.

:| its huge assumption that they don't...

I haven't assumed they haven't, I'm not assuming either.

HTH.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Sep 2021 13:22

If him and Morrison had an argument that ended up in a punch being thrown then despite the injury to Rafael, good, shows frustration and a want to be better. Will likely serve us well over time.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Sep 2021 13:40

Stranded If him and Morrison had an argument that ended up in a punch being thrown then despite the injury to Rafael, good, shows frustration and a want to be better. Will likely serve us well over time.

Interesting take, would your manager/HR have the same opinion if you did that to a colleague in the workplace?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Sep 2021 13:43

Brogue
Stranded If him and Morrison had an argument that ended up in a punch being thrown then despite the injury to Rafael, good, shows frustration and a want to be better. Will likely serve us well over time.

Interesting take, would your manager/HR have the same opinion if you did that to a colleague in the workplace?

It has already been explained that a football changing room is a lot different to a normal workplace. Try and compute that.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Sep 2021 13:43

Rafael already back in training according to him, he will get his place back no doubt.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Sep 2021 13:49

NathStPaul Rafael already back in training according to him, he will get his place back no doubt.

Yep, hand badly bruised and swollen, no bones broken.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Sep 2021 13:50

NathStPaul
Brogue

It has already been explained that a football changing room is a lot different to a normal workplace. Try and compute that.

Not in the eyes of employment law it isn't, try and compute that.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Sep 2021 14:00

You clearly have the Reading FC discipline procedures in front of you to be this sure. Could you please share them with the group? Interested to see it.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Sep 2021 14:02

NathStPaul You clearly have the Reading FC discipline procedures in front of you to be this sure. Could you please share them with the group? Interested to see it.

:| what I'm saying is, if the club decided to go down the dismissal route due to gross misconduct due to striking another player. And the disciplinary procedure was applied correctly, Rafael would have no grounds for appeal. I'm not saying it's going to happen and I'm not saying it should happen. But a football club is like any other employer in the coutry. By signing a contract you are agreeing to their policies and procedures If you are in breach of them you can expect them to go down the disciplinary route. I don't need to have a copy of the procedures to hand to know that.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 15 Sep 2021 14:14

If I was Southwood and I thought Rafa was going to waltz straight back into the team I'd be trying my best to wind him up so he throws another misplaced punch at the whiteboard again.

On the disciplinary front, it has been rumoured that Rafael failed to land a punch he'd aimed at Michael Morrison but if he had connected how do we think things would have panned out? Surely Morrison wouldn't be happy about being hit by a team mate (especially as MM appears to be the deputy captain). Would the dressing room have been split by taking sides? Do these things simply blow over?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Sep 2021 14:15

Brogue

If I hit someone, probably not, but it isn't the same thing, there is much less aggression and frustration within normal work places.

I've had plenty of wash-up meetings where it has got a bit heated and words have been exchanged/accusations thrown around - it has (on multiple occasions) led to better working relationships and improved efficiency.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Sep 2021 14:17

Hendo
Brogue

If I hit someone, probably not, but it isn't the same thing, there is much less aggression and frustration within normal work places.

I've had plenty of wash-up meetings where it has got a bit heated and words have been exchanged/accusations thrown around - it has (on multiple occasions) led to better working relationships and improved efficiency.

and what if you hit someone in the meeting?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Sep 2021 14:18

morganb If I was Southwood and I thought Rafa was going to waltz straight back into the team I'd be trying my best to wind him up so he throws another misplaced punch at the whiteboard again.

On the disciplinary front, it has been rumoured that Rafael failed to land a punch he'd aimed at Michael Morrison but if he had connected how do we think things would have panned out? Surely Morrison wouldn't be happy about being hit by a team mate (especially as MM appears to be the deputy captain). Would the dressing room have been split by taking sides? Do these things simply blow over?

They'll all blow over, it is something that will happen all the time and to be honest it isn't always a bad thing. If it was the done thing to dismiss a player for having a changing room scuffle then they'd be multiple sackings a season and they'd be many examples of it happening. Clubs keep this kind of thing in house and deal with it privately.

Seemingly Brogue and his employment law firm can't see any difference to a normal workplace and professional sports changing room.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Sep 2021 14:24

Brogue
Hendo
Brogue

and what if you hit someone in the meeting?

I've bolded it for you.

I've never felt compelled to hit someone at work though, whereas people hit each other on the football pitch all the time. I'm not quite sure how you aren't grasping that this isn't the same thing and things like this must happen in changing rooms all the time.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Sep 2021 15:12

Brogue

I would be fired naturally but whilst it is a normal workplace in terms of HR rules, it is highly charged atmosphere and I would imagine punches get thrown all the time in the heat of the moment. What happens in the changing room, stays there and I doubt any alleged issue would have even spilled over to the next morning.

I have literally no issue with the alleged incident beyond the injury.

166 posts