Goalkeeper situation now Rafael injured

166 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Goalkeeper situation now Rafael injured

by Millsy » 16 Sep 2021 23:44

I like Southwood but tbh I think a lot of us WANT to see him as some sort of saviour as we look through our RTGs. It's comforting to believe our keeper is a big part of our problems but the fact of the matter is he's nothing special but he's not the reason for us being shite in defence.

TBF Southwood still a kid and there'll be probably more errors in him in the coming games than with Rafael.

HOWEVER you can't not start Southwood after that performance.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Sep 2021 23:49

Millsy I like Southwood but tbh I think a lot of us WANT to see him as some sort of saviour as we look through our RTGs. It's comforting to believe our keeper is a big part of our problems but the fact of the matter is he's nothing special but he's not the reason for us being shite in defence.

TBF Southwood still a kid and there'll be probably more errors in him in the coming games than with Rafael.

At what age are you no longer a kid? Even in footballing terms where we refer to young adults as ‘kids’, 19/20 etc, Southwood is neither of these. He’s earned his chance and is old enough. If Rafael comes straight back in and we look to extend his contract then Southwood should look for a move away imho.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Sep 2021 23:53

CountryRoyal
Millsy I like Southwood but tbh I think a lot of us WANT to see him as some sort of saviour as we look through our RTGs. It's comforting to believe our keeper is a big part of our problems but the fact of the matter is he's nothing special but he's not the reason for us being shite in defence.

At what age are you no longer a kid? Even in footballing terms where we refer to young adults as ‘kids’, 19/20 etc, Southwood is neither of these. He’s earned his chance and is old enough. If Rafael comes straight back in and we look to extend his contract then Southwood should look for a move away imho.

Good Q.

I guess it's his relative lack of first team action, more than his age that I'm getting at. Few people hit the ground running, there'll be errors regardless of age.

I just don't want people to put massive expectations on the lad. He's relatively young, relatively new to first team footy, and WILL make mistakes in his first few games.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Sep 2021 09:58

Millsy
CountryRoyal

Good Q.

I guess it's his relative lack of first team action, more than his age that I'm getting at. Few people hit the ground running, there'll be errors regardless of age.

I just don't want people to put massive expectations on the lad. He's relatively young, relatively new to first team footy, and WILL make mistakes in his first few games.

Judge him compared to previous youngsters; e.g. McCarthy and Ashdown (was Feds classed as a youngster?) anyone recall their first few games ?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Sep 2021 10:18

Millsy
CountryRoyal

Good Q.

23 is also much younger for a keeper, who should be looking to play at their peak until 35 or so. Southwood remains very inexperienced in relative terms. However, given his performance on Tuesday and Rafael's form, I'd like to see him given a decent run in the team.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Sep 2021 10:29

Millsy
CountryRoyal

Good Q.

Tuesday was his 54th professional start - that is a pretty decent level of experience at that age and fairly comparable to Rafael at a certain age. The latter's career then stagnated by only playing 45 games at Napoli in 5 years. Southwood is getting to an age where unless he plays week in, week out now - he is unlikely to push on. He is likely going to be first choice next year, so given he played well on Tuesday - you keep with him until he has a poor game or two - in my mind at least.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Sep 2021 10:31

I would certainly be very disappointed if Rafael came straight back in considering he hasn't been at his best so far this season and all things considered Southwood did well, I can remember a dodgy claim that the ref eventually gave as a foul and a dodgy kick that went high but not particularly far.

It would be especially disappointing considering all the investment we have put into the academy to then not give our young players a chance that they have earned.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Sep 2021 10:48

tidus_mi2 I would certainly be very disappointed if Rafael came straight back in considering he hasn't been at his best so far this season and all things considered Southwood did well, I can remember a dodgy claim that the ref eventually gave as a foul and a dodgy kick that went high but not particularly far.

It would be especially disappointing considering all the investment we have put into the academy to then not give our young players a chance that they have earned.

Hoilett did so well with that, was a first time outside of the boot pass to T D-B IIRC.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2021 12:06

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Hendo Just watched the goals back and while Southwood was good on Tuesday night, if Rafael concedes that goal, he gets no end of pelters.

Nonsense.

No it isn’t.

I’m not saying Southwood should’ve saved it, I’m just saying that if Rafael had conceded it, he’d be getting loads of shit for it as seems to be the agenda with some fans at the moment.

The ball in is very good and has absolutely done Southwood as he comes for it and then back pedals, but it’s a slightly weak header and Southwood almost pushes it into the net.

It’s a bit moot as Ejaria shouldn’t really be on the guy at the back post, but I’m just calling it as I see it.

It's just not true. The defence has picked up most the blame for goals not Rafa. He's conceded loads and got little of the blame. He's mainly criticised about organising and distribution, not saves

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Sep 2021 12:31

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal Nonsense.

No it isn’t.

I’m not saying Southwood should’ve saved it, I’m just saying that if Rafael had conceded it, he’d be getting loads of shit for it as seems to be the agenda with some fans at the moment.

The ball in is very good and has absolutely done Southwood as he comes for it and then back pedals, but it’s a slightly weak header and Southwood almost pushes it into the net.

It’s a bit moot as Ejaria shouldn’t really be on the guy at the back post, but I’m just calling it as I see it.

It's just not true. The defence has picked up most the blame for goals not Rafa. He's conceded loads and got little of the blame. He's mainly criticised about organising and distribution, not saves

Nonsense.

See, I can do it too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2021 12:34

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Hendo
No it isn’t.

Nonsense.

See, I can do it too.

Where? Because I haven't seen it. And if the answer is Twitter then :roll:

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 17 Sep 2021 12:34

I agree, the shambles of our defenders have rightly taken a lot of the blame. However Rafa should have been doing more as well. Defenders need clear comms with the keeper and there seemed to be a disconnect with ours and Rafa?

Southwood at least looked he was commanding the area, the CB were assured he was gunna claim what he should be claiming. And i was impressed that he cleared out people to get his hands on the ball and keep hold of it. I felt comfortable watching balls come into the box to be claimed. I am not sure if it was just the lack of quality from Peterborough? Not much he could have done with the goal, Ejaria should have jumped...but then Ejaria shouldn't be marking back post.

He deserves his chance, against a free hit Fulham where we as expected to be beaten. Lets give him a proper test.
Sends such a bad message to the players trying to break through that performances dont really count

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Sep 2021 12:36

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal It's just not true. The defence has picked up most the blame for goals not Rafa. He's conceded loads and got little of the blame. He's mainly criticised about organising and distribution, not saves

Nonsense.

See, I can do it too.

Why would it matter if it was on Twitter? That is the best way to gauge opinion these days. Like it or not.

Rafael has got a lot of blame this season on here too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2021 12:36

NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Nonsense.

See, I can do it too.

Why would it matter if it was on Twitter? That is the best way to gauge opinion these days. Like it or not.

Because twitter is a cess pit of idiocy. And we aren't on twitter.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Sep 2021 12:37

Sutekh
Millsy
CountryRoyal

Good Q.

Judge him compared to previous youngsters; e.g. McCarthy and Ashdown (was Feds classed as a youngster?) anyone recall their first few games ?

Ashdown made a couple of early appearances filling in for Whitehead that I don’t really remember. When he got a run in the side covering Hahnemann, he looked like a senior player.

One of Federici’s first games was at Old Trafford. He was excellent and might have won MOTM.

Second leg at the Madejski he concedes three goals in the opening ten minutes and was at fault for two of them.

McCarthy had a pretty strong intro to the team and stamped his claim for the shirt.

All three were younger than Southwood.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Sep 2021 12:38

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal Where? Because I haven't seen it. And if the answer is Twitter then :roll:

And this place isn't? Might be news to you, Ian, but people post on here and twitter as well.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Sep 2021 12:40

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul Why would it matter if it was on Twitter? That is the best way to gauge opinion these days. Like it or not.

And this place isn't? Might be news to you, Ian, but people post on here and twitter as well.

I can see Ian's point, football Twitter is largely idiotic but it is the only real way to gather instant opinion and reaction to what happens on the pitch. I have seen plenty of sensible people criticise Rafael last season and this, they can't all be wrong.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 17 Sep 2021 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Sep 2021 12:41

NathStPaul
Hendo
Snowflake Royal Because twitter is a cess pit of idiocy. And we aren't on twitter.

I can see Ian's point, football Twitter is largely idiotic but it is the only real way to gather instant opinion and reaction to what happens on the pitch. I have seen plenty of sensible criticise Rafael last season and this, they can't all be wrong.

Oh yeah, I hate Football Twitter, it is mostly idiots saying Ratio or something else that is bullshit. But yes, there has been plenty of criticism for Rafael, people saying he has weak wrists, etc...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2021 12:47

You can find criticism of anything on twitter.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 18 Sep 2021 10:25

Reading exclusives on Twitter saying Rafa isn’t in today’s squad

166 posts