Re: BFTG - Peter's Borough

by Royal Rother » 16 Sep 2021 13:01

Ian’s anti Ejaria agenda is even more blatant than my anti Joao agenda. :lol:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Sep 2021 17:04

Royal Rother Ian’s anti Ejaria agenda is even more blatant than my anti Joao agenda. :lol:

Rather like Blackett. Ejaria promises much but consistantly fails to deliver. Technically gifted but lacks the application. Now at FC Cincinnati with Jaap Stam. Says it all.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Sep 2021 17:29

Lower West
Royal Rother Ian’s anti Ejaria agenda is even more blatant than my anti Joao agenda. :lol:

Rather like Blackett. Ejaria promises much but consistantly fails to deliver. Technically gifted but lacks the application. Now at FC Cincinnati with Jaap Stam. Says it all.

Just not true. Has the application and works hard. Constantly rates as one of our best players. Just doesn’t get the assists/goals we think he is meant to

Honestly think we should be comparing him more to Rino/TDB/Laurent than just hitting with the ‘not as many assists as Swift/Olise’ stick

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Sep 2021 17:50

Then we should play him in defensive midfield seeing as we desperately need to improve at protecting our defence and conceding less if he should be compared to defensive midfielders.

I think that's the stupidest thing you've ever posted Hound. Tbf, that isn't hard as you're pretty good consistently.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Sep 2021 18:19

God you are such a prick sometimes Ian! :lol:

Can you just stop picking fights everywhere with everyone who thinks slightly differently to you? Take a look at yourself sometimes.

You load onto Simmops on a regular basis but in reality are just as bad - you just construct a slightly better sentence.

(No offence Simmops!) :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Sep 2021 19:52

Oh don’t worry I don’t take any offence and I’m sure I’ve sent plenty back his way as well

Just feel we concentrate on the wrong things with him. I rate him as an excellent all round midfielder, who works hard, keeps possession but can definitely improve on his decision making. Others focus on the latter more than the former as is their right. But I think we miss a lot of his point if we do, and some of the stuff about him being a luxury/wasting talent is just nonsense

Though I’m pretty sure Ian has had Laurent in his ‘sides’ on the left mid instead of Ovie. I’d be interested to know what he thinks he’d offer more there than him. And obvs they can’t be that different a player if he is selecting Laurent in his position

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Sep 2021 20:47

Hound Oh don’t worry I don’t take any offence and I’m sure I’ve sent plenty back his way as well

Oh I’m not particularly looking out for you :D it’s just so predictable and tedious - every single time someone has a different take on things he loads up. Where’s that fcuking yawn emoji? :|

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Sep 2021 22:53

Ovie is kind of like a really, really, really poor man’s Pogba. A bit of an all rounder but I feel his game is far more suited to the attacking role and creating chances. He needs to work on his end product but let’s face it, if he had a consistently good end product, on top of what he already offers, then he wouldn’t be with us.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Sep 2021 23:08

One thing Ovie is very good at is relieving pressure. He must win more free kicks than just about any other Championship player.
He does need to improve his end product though. Too often he takes on one too many and is dispossessed.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Sep 2021 23:35

Same old with Ovie. He starts, has 3-4 men on him at all times, frees up the rest of midfield to score. Performances have generally been better with him. He draws a lot of attention. Take your eye off him though and he'll cause havoc out of nothing.

And don't forget his work in defence. His long gangly legs fly out of nowhere to win balls.

I've really missed him, delighted to have him play.

Just have to watch out for when he gets tired later in the season and performances drop.

Oh and he's a miserable bugger. Or he looks it. Smile more Ovie!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2021 12:32

Hound Oh don’t worry I don’t take any offence and I’m sure I’ve sent plenty back his way as well

Just feel we concentrate on the wrong things with him. I rate him as an excellent all round midfielder, who works hard, keeps possession but can definitely improve on his decision making. Others focus on the latter more than the former as is their right. But I think we miss a lot of his point if we do, and some of the stuff about him being a luxury/wasting talent is just nonsense

Though I’m pretty sure Ian has had Laurent in his ‘sides’ on the left mid instead of Ovie. I’d be interested to know what he thinks he’d offer more there than him. And obvs they can’t be that different a player if he is selecting Laurent in his position

It was actually in many ways a compliment. :P

On Laurent, Hoilett is poor and there is no other alternatives. Laurent is spending most of his time running forward anyway, so put him somewhere with a licence to do that.

What he'll bring that Ejaria doesn't- tempo, and drive. He runs at space and has a sense of urgency. It's a poor option, but we don't have good ones.

We play best when we run at teams and up our tempo. Ejaria slows everything down. Case of good player, wrong fit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Sep 2021 12:44

I don’t agree with the idea that he ‘slows everything down’ but even so - have to realise that sometimes this is a good thing and we need to hang onto possession. Don’t need to constantly bomb up the pitch every time we win possession

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2021 12:48

Hound I don’t agree with the idea that he ‘slows everything down’ but even so - have to realise that sometimes this is a good thing and we need to hang onto possession. Don’t need to constantly bomb up the pitch every time we win possession

Yeah but he does it when we're attacking, not to control the game.

If Laurent plays in an attacking roll, then a comparison would obviously be fair.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Sep 2021 12:48

Tbf I don’t think I’ve ever seen Ian come out with complaints about his “body language” :wink:

If Joao, Meite, Swift and Ejaria are our Fab Four then Ejaria is definitely the Ringo, or the Firmino. He’s still a dangerous player. I think he would benefit from having someone very direct alongside him - that could be Rahman on the outside, or Hoilett on the right, but I think his link play with Richards and Meite was one of his main strengths last season.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Sep 2021 13:26

SCIAG

Tbf I don’t think I’ve ever seen Ian come out with complaints about his “body language” :wink:

If Joao, Meite, Swift and Ejaria are our Fab Four then Ejaria is definitely the Ringo, or the Firmino. He’s still a dangerous player. I think he would benefit from having someone very direct alongside him - that could be Rahman on the outside, or Hoilett on the right, but I think his link play with Richards and Meite was one of his main strengths last season.

This.
He frequently created chances for Meite with that run from the right. Hell even with the experiment of playing Rino there he created a couple of chances for him. We got a penalty out of one of them against Wycombe as I recall and Rino missed a sitter in the other game he started that position. With players like Aluko or Olise playing there last season or Halivovich this season it takes away that option.

In addition to that if there's no overlap outside him , that too leaves him very little space to work with. Notice for the 2nd goal? on Saturday he's practically begging someone to provide that overlap because he's created that space alongside him.

He has his flaws and he was poor in the first half on Tuesday but all of the midfielders selected on Tuesday have a habit of holding onto the ball too long. I think he has a tendency to try to manufacture the thing he thinks should happen rather than always look at the situation in front of him (for example he looks for Swift all the time when often there are better options) but given the amount of work he puts in, I'm often surprised by the stick he gets from fans in general.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 17 Sep 2021 13:30

Its hard to bomb up the pitch when you dont have natural pace. But he makes up for it with unreal ball control. Which might be one of the reasons he slows it down because he knows he can tie people into knots whilst standing still to generate the space he needs. Or he might be waiting for the overlap that never comes?
Laurent will drive the ball up the field no doubt but at the expense of losing the ball due to his lack of control. Among many attributes, Ejaria doesn't actually lose the ball often.
Just doesn't use the options available to him quick enough.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Sep 2021 14:11

I love watching Ejaria. I don’t care too much that he doesn’t (in the terminology of those who love buzzwords) have enough ‘end product’.
Much like I loved watching Blakey sit defenders on their arses I love watching Ejaria wave his leg one way while the rest of his body goes the other.
Sometimes it’s just enough to be able to applaud outrageous skill.
Of course in an ideal world it would be delivering loads of assists and goals but I’m always pleased when his name is on the team sheet because he is fun to watch.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2021 19:13

Don't find him fun to watch.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Sep 2021 19:27

Snowflake Royal Don't find him fun to watch.

Agree with Nameless, He's skilful and beats opposition defenders for fun. Yes, he needs to work on certain things but he's still young and I'd rather he's in the side than out as opposition defenders double/treble up on him which creates space for others.

But then again I guess you're a 100mph long ball merchant who's wanted Parky in charge for the past 5 years...

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 17 Sep 2021 19:39

Nameless I love watching Ejaria. I don’t care too much that he doesn’t (in the terminology of those who love buzzwords) have enough ‘end product’.
Much like I loved watching Blakey sit defenders on their arses I love watching Ejaria wave his leg one way while the rest of his body goes the other.
Sometimes it’s just enough to be able to applaud outrageous skill.
Of course in an ideal world it would be delivering loads of assists and goals but I’m always pleased when his name is on the team sheet because he is fun to watch.

Nameless and Clueless, fun LOL my arse!