Pauno in

205 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Pauno in

by Millsy » 19 Sep 2021 03:20

SouthDownsRoyal
NathStPaul
AthleticoSpizz Nothing to do with his signings then?

Some people will never be happy with Paunovic. He isn't nearly English enough for the tastes of a few.

I’m cool with having a Serbian manager, no problems

I had a nice time in Bosnia. Met a bunch of nice Serbs obviously. Love Cebapi, although that's probably more Bosnian than Serbian, I can't remember.

What really gets to me is that they're not English though. Why the hell not? We're great. I can't understand why people think it's acceptable not to be. They need to buck their ideas up over there. The whole place is full of people who think it's big and clever not to be English. I think it could be because these days if you say you are you're thrown in jail. Awful policy, if you ask me.

elrey

by elrey » 19 Sep 2021 05:06

Millsy (written after the Fulham game)

As anti-Pauno as I've been since the capitulation last season I promised myself if with the 'ridiculous' and inexplicable decision to drop Puscas we manage to win I'd make more of a dick of myself and start a thread in support of Pauno just to balance the other one. Because you can guarantee if we'd not won I'd be on the other thread screaming for him to be sacked after putting Hoilett up front.

Yeah ok mods, you'll probably rightly merge this with the other Pauno thread but a promise is a promise.

People like me (still) discard the first few games of last season as honeymoon luck, but for consistency I'm going to discard the first few games of this season as a seriously depleted squad. Since he has been able to bring in and start using more of HIS signings we've not done too badly.

I'm still sceptical but not to give him a bit of a decent chance after this latest run (including the disappointing QPR result but still a great result!) is criminal.

For now at least PAUNO IN!

New players means the opposition doesn't know what we are again. Give it until they figure him out again.....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Sep 2021 08:13

Snowflake Royal
Hound Result today made up for the crappy Bristol defeat

Other than that, guess we are pretty much where we should be in the table with the teams we have had available

Some good signs going forward, defence still a worry. Some dodgy tactics on the face of it, but some good stuff to get the last couple of wins

About par I reckon at the moment this year

Leaves you wondering what might be but for some spectacularly shit defending.

Could, and arguably should, be on about an extra 5 / 6 points if we could defend a set piece or avoid last minute panic stations.

If (big if) we can get Joao back fit it could be an exciting season. It’s still very early on and we’re not far off the top 6

Add him to that team yesterday, and then bring in Dann, DD, Rino, Azeez and McIntyre and there are real options in there. I do really like the look of the front 4 even without him.

Slightly bizarre that the one area that is most concern - the CBs - is probably where we felt strongest preseason

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 19 Sep 2021 08:45

Pauno in. He can take us to the play offs with his team; possibly boosted later in the season with the return of Joao, Azeez and maybe Meite too…

Meanwhile, we have a real variety of creative players; threats with set piece delivery and with Morrison (and Dann to come) and Holmes (hopefully not out for too long) the defence looks much better.

I once thought that the success of our team was dependent upon Liam Moore; and was delighted when our owners secured his services with a new contract.

However, since then his form has been inconsistent and on occasions has contributed directly to defeats and a to a general disorganisation at the back.

Defending is so much about being in the right place at the right time, anticipating the greatest danger; clear communication and making it hard for the opposition to make the most of opportunities created.

Last ditch blocks are usually a result of being out of position and that seems to happen so often with Moore.

Also, the team seems to me to have a different vibe about them when Moore is not playing. It was immediately noticeable against Peterbro’ and throughout the game yesterday.

It was also noticeable at times last season.

‘Pauno in’ could be dependant upon ‘Moore out’.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Sep 2021 09:58

At least it’s good to see the fickleness in football doesn’t just extend to when we lose.

Still early days for me but 2 wins on the bounce is a good start.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 19 Sep 2021 10:16

Last week after QPR was the first time I thought Pauno could be on his way out. Just felt he hadn’t remedied those massive defensive issues over the international break.

But hearing of the resilient defending against high flying and big spending Fulham theres certainly reasons to be optimistic now.

What’s never been in doubt is the attacking style. Watching the second goal back from yesterday and seeing Halilovic, Hoillett, Swift and Ovie linking up was a thing of beauty. I thought Swift was carrying us but we’re netting goals from everywhere. Long may that continue

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Sep 2021 10:25

Millsy
SouthDownsRoyal
NathStPaul Some people will never be happy with Paunovic. He isn't nearly English enough for the tastes of a few.

I’m cool with having a Serbian manager, no problems

I had a nice time in Bosnia. Met a bunch of nice Serbs obviously. Love Cebapi, although that's probably more Bosnian than Serbian, I can't remember.

What really gets to me is that they're not English though. Why the hell not? We're great. I can't understand why people think it's acceptable not to be. They need to buck their ideas up over there. The whole place is full of people who think it's big and clever not to be English. I think it could be because these days if you say you are you're thrown in jail. Awful policy, if you ask me.

Try to look at things from their perspective. Those poor people have to spend every day of their lives knowing they're foreign. Probably resented you for rubbing your Englishness in their foreign faces.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Sep 2021 10:32

SCIAG
Millsy
SouthDownsRoyal I’m cool with having a Serbian manager, no problems

Try to look at things from their perspective. Those poor people have to spend every day of their lives knowing they're foreign. Probably resented you for rubbing your Englishness in their foreign faces.

Good point :lol:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Sep 2021 11:14

CountryRoyal At least it’s good to see the fickleness in football doesn’t just extend to when we lose.

Still early days for me but 2 wins on the bounce is a good start.

This. He has to resolve the shitty defending and get some steel into the team. Afterall we have some talent in there.

One interesting point is we’re scoring a lot of goals and they’re coming from midfield. Get Puscas up and running and we could really start motoring.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2021 11:45

I know Fulham are one of the best in the division, but it did look like one of those days for them when it came to finishing.

Definitely want to see a few more games of reduced leakage before thinking we're on the mend.

retro royal

by retro royal » 19 Sep 2021 11:50

Great result at Fulham but if Fulham had scored half of what they probably should of we'd have lost that 3-2 , difference may have been Southwood who made some decent saves but it was his composure with his feet that impressed. Would he have played if Raf was fit, guess we'll find out next week.

I find Pauno's in game management awful, last season we picked up stupid injuries because his refusal to use all 5 subs, last season was all about rotation, he just doesn't like to make changes, I was petrified yesterday Hoilett and Halilovic (edit thought he was booked) were going to get a second yellow just because they were knackered.

Not sure what he has against Puscas, but when we are so short up top we need someone, Hoilett isn't the answer after yesterday, didn't look to have the engine for chasing lost causes for 30 minutes let alone 90, nothing against him, 32 not surprised

I'm down the middle probably veering to we need a change, but if we get 9 or 10 points from a favourable next 5, Middlesboro, Derby, Cardiff, Barnsley and Blackpool then fair play, good job Pauno in very difficult situation
Last edited by retro royal on 19 Sep 2021 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Sep 2021 11:54

I can’t remember ever having the sort of feeling under Gomes, Stam, Bowen that we look dangerous whenever we go forward. 3 against QPR. 3 against Peterborough, two against Fulham. With that will come leakier defence and I’m fine with that. What irks us is the leakiness at set pieces or when we can’t game manage and defend. Cut that out and I’m happy with goals conceded in open play as we focus on scoring more. A bit like early Klopp.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2021 11:57

retro royal Great result at Fulham but if Fulham had scored half of what they probably should of we'd have lost that 3-2 , difference may have been Southwood who made some decent saves but it was his composure with his feet that impressed. Would he have played if Raf was fit, guess we'll find out next week.

I find Pauno's in game management awful, last season we picked up stupid injuries because his refusal to use all 5 subs, last season was all about rotation, he just doesn't like to make changes, I was petrified yesterday Hoilett and Halilovic (edit thought he was booked) were going to get a second yellow just because they were knackered.

Not sure what he has against Puscas, but when we are so short up top we need someone, Hoilett isn't the answer after yesterday, didn't look to have the engine for chasing lost causes for 30 minutes let alone 90, nothing against him, 32 not surprised

I'm down the middle probably veering to we need a change, but if we get 9 or 10 points from a favourable next 5, Middlesboro, Derby, Cardiff, Barnsley and Blackpool then fair play, good job Pauno in very difficult situation

Puscas was listed as starting on the OS so I reckon he tweaked something in the build up and wasn't risked.

retro royal

by retro royal » 19 Sep 2021 12:00

Snowflake Royal
retro royal Great result at Fulham but if Fulham had scored half of what they probably should of we'd have lost that 3-2 , difference may have been Southwood who made some decent saves but it was his composure with his feet that impressed. Would he have played if Raf was fit, guess we'll find out next week.

Puscas was listed as starting on the OS so I reckon he tweaked something in the build up and wasn't risked.

Fair play wasn't aware of that

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 19 Sep 2021 14:55

Must be fairly unique for a side averaging 2 goals a game to have none of those scored after 8 games by an out and out forward...fair play to Pauno

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Sep 2021 16:44

Swift, TDB and Ovie should all have plenty of goals in them

Feels to me like Pauno has them closer to the number 9 position this year - giving them all more shooting opportunities

Obvs a huge challenge to make up for the goals of Joao, Meite and Olise of last year

royalstevep68

by royalstevep68 » 19 Sep 2021 22:41

Why were people saying pauno out anyway. He should stay, never been on my mind he should go. Stupid fans, who on earth could do a better job during covid and ffp rules, not his team and new players limited to loaners.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Sep 2021 23:01

royalstevep68 Why were people saying pauno out anyway. He should stay, never been on my mind he should go. Stupid fans, who on earth could do a better job during covid and ffp rules, not his team and new players limited to loaners.

Dunno maybe someone who wouldn’t have absolutely bottled promotion last season with persistently mind boggling decisions and negative approaches.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Sep 2021 23:13

CountryRoyal
royalstevep68 Why were people saying pauno out anyway. He should stay, never been on my mind he should go. Stupid fans, who on earth could do a better job during covid and ffp rules, not his team and new players limited to loaners.

Dunno maybe someone who wouldn’t have absolutely bottled promotion last season with persistently mind boggling decisions and negative approaches.

There is that.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Sep 2021 09:12

Snowflake Royal Forced into action he should have taken weeks ago with Moore's injury.

Typical Ian post, this. Can't just credit the guy. You're still right Ian, he just lucked out, correct?

205 posts