John Swift

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: John Swift

by Hendo » 20 Sep 2021 16:25

BraisingsteakRoyal
Brogue it's amazing how many players suddenly hit the form of their life when they only have 6 months left on their contract....

Yep it's the Hal Robson-Kanu/Nick Blackman effect.

Disagree, both of those were shit before their last year of contact, Swift has been mostly very good for us when he hasn't been injured.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2021 16:42

LUX well, I for one am passionate about trying to get him to stay.

Naive, perhaps, but that is what supporting your team is about.

Some of us who understand the practicalities of running a team and club realise that you can't just make decisions based on what happens on the pitch, but need to be pragmatic about off the pitch issues. And not allow sentimentality to reign.

:wink: Obvs I know nothing about running a club and this is tongue in cheek. Sometimes its fun to play up to the nonsemnse reputation.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 20 Sep 2021 17:44

If Swifty does go, and I hope he stays at Reading for many years to come, building teams around our no.10, but IF he was to go, Halilovic is the natural successor to the number 10 role, alongside Rhino, Laurent, and Ovie when everyone is back fit again.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 13 Nov 2021 12:13

Wolves, Leeds and Burnley are all considering making a January bid for John Swift according to the Sheffield Star

https://mobile.twitter.com/TalkReading/ ... 2026472451

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Nov 2021 12:43

Swift needs to be allowed to move on.Our best signing in the past decade imo.
He will be 27 in the summer so his chance will be gone if he doesn’t move soon. I will be sad to see him go but he deserves a shot at top flight football because he’s good enough.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Nov 2021 12:45

Hendo
BraisingsteakRoyal
Brogue it's amazing how many players suddenly hit the form of their life when they only have 6 months left on their contract....

Disagree, both of those were shit before their last year of contact, Swift has been mostly very good for us when he hasn't been injured.

Yep.He went through a dip under Stam playing alongside Kelly but otherwise he has ranged from good to terrific. He has been a joy to watch at times.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Nov 2021 12:47

LUX well, I for one am passionate about trying to get him to stay.

Naive, perhaps, but that is what supporting your team is about.

I don’t think we should stand in his way of playing in the top flight. He deserves that chance.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Nov 2021 12:50

Mr Optimist If Swifty does go, and I hope he stays at Reading for many years to come, building teams around our no.10, but IF he was to go, Halilovic is the natural successor to the number 10 role, alongside Rhino, Laurent, and Ovie when everyone is back fit again.

How many of those will be here next season ?
Halilovic is on a 1 year deal isn’t he ?
Laurent is out of contract looking to move......

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Nov 2021 12:52

Take the £75m

Well, if Sancho can go for that amount and not get a game …

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Nov 2021 13:06

I doubt we would get more than £2 million if we sold Swift in Jan.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Nov 2021 13:09

BraisingsteakRoyal

Don’t forget Strugglepig.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Nov 2021 13:16

Nameless
Mr Optimist If Swifty does go, and I hope he stays at Reading for many years to come, building teams around our no.10, but IF he was to go, Halilovic is the natural successor to the number 10 role, alongside Rhino, Laurent, and Ovie when everyone is back fit again.

I think Halilovic particularly would be happy to sign a new deal, especially if its pitched to him that he's the natural replacement for Swift. He chose us over Birmingham in the summer despite them apparently offering better terms.

Jinx

by Jinx » 13 Nov 2021 13:46

Nameless

Any evidence for this - or is it just one of those things people write on the internet that become "facts"?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Nov 2021 15:39

wonder if the efl would give us much of a choice if a bid of say2.5m came in. Money into the club and half a season's (sky high) wages off the books

Would be a massive shame to see him go, a player i really enjoy watching. But would imagine at this point in his career he needs to play Prem football.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 13 Nov 2021 19:53

morganb Wolves, Leeds and Burnley are all considering making a January bid for John Swift according to the Sheffield Star

https://mobile.twitter.com/TalkReading/ ... 2026472451

I don’t want him to go, but of those options Wolves must be the most attractive option in terms of playing style and fit of club. Burnley’s run in the Prem could easily run out this season and their style of play is more “industrial”. In terms of somewhere to settle off the pitch all three have beautiful areas nearby to live in, but a pad in Worcestershire or a nice part of Warwickshire would be no hardship!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Nov 2021 19:59

Zip Swift needs to be allowed to move on.Our best signing in the past decade imo.
He will be 27 in the summer so his chance will be gone if he doesn’t move soon. I will be sad to see him go but he deserves a shot at top flight football because he’s good enough.

Isn't he free to go where he likes in the summer? And currently playing the best football of his career? 27 is fine.

Currently about the only player keeping our head above water right now.

Can we afford to let him go in January, for probably a nominal fee? If it weren't for the horrendous injuries it would be an easier decision. Same if it weren't for the impending points deduction.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Nov 2021 11:16

He’ll be here until the end of the season and move on for nothing at that point to whichever PL club shows an interest. Can’t really see anyone paying money for him in January unless they’re in desperate relegation trouble and even if they did Swift could well turn that sort of option down when he’s anybody’s for nothing in the summer.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 14 Nov 2021 12:16

Sutekh He’ll be here until the end of the season and move on for nothing at that point to whichever PL club shows an interest. Can’t really see anyone paying money for him in January unless they’re in desperate relegation trouble and even if they did Swift could well turn that sort of option down when he’s anybody’s for nothing in the summer.

For the sake of the team we desperately need him to stay to give us the best chance of avoiding relegation so £2 million or so loss presumably is better than relegation in the long run?
I don't think I am alone in believing that he is that important to us.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Nov 2021 12:53

South Coast Royal
Sutekh He’ll be here until the end of the season and move on for nothing at that point to whichever PL club shows an interest. Can’t really see anyone paying money for him in January unless they’re in desperate relegation trouble and even if they did Swift could well turn that sort of option down when he’s anybody’s for nothing in the summer.

For the sake of the team we desperately need him to stay to give us the best chance of avoiding relegation so £2 million or so loss presumably is better than relegation in the long run?

Take away swift’s direct goal contributions alone and we’d be significantly worse off than we are now. Assuming we can with no significant repercussions, 100% would not sell in January.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Nov 2021 13:31

CountryRoyal
South Coast Royal

Take away swift’s direct goal contributions alone and we’d be significantly worse off than we are now. Assuming we can with no significant repercussions, 100% would not sell in January.

I'm sure Ejaria would step up. :wink: