Points Deduction Incoming!

776 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Points Deduction Incoming!

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2021 18:13

Linden Jones' Tash
Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner There must be other clubs surely operating like us?
It's not like we have been blowing tens of millions on players like other clubs.
Yeah Puscas and João were big signings for us, but compared to other some players transfer fees....surely there are more teams. SJM on talkshite shortly.

Its never been fees. It's always wages. Always. Always

This.

and it is why I am always infuriated at modern footballer's wages being quoted on a per week basis...

I know it's a throwback to when working men were actually paid at the end of the week for their shifts, but subliminally it reduces the impact of these astronomical figures and numbs people to the actual sums being paid out for Championship football...

it would be better if we said Liam Moore is on at least £1.8M a year (feel free to correct the actual figure - I just took the often cited £35k a week X 52 weeks) plus there must be bonuses etc...

A wage bill of £40M a year on revenue of £17M should make it obvious to most people

Tbf I don't think there's a person in the country who can't work out that several thousand pounds per week is astronomical

It's a bit like space. Tell me all you like how it's hundreds of miles from one end of the milky way to tother other and I'll just shrug my shoulders and say "urgh, that's a lot".

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Sep 2021 18:47

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal There's a lot of overconfidence on display about our chances post points deduction.

Only 2 games ago we looked like a total mess leaking goals galore and dropping points left right and centre.

And now we have basically our entire central defence injured. We could easily lose 4 of the next 5 games.

We could and we could easily win 4 of our next 5 games as well. And our CBs were playing shite anyway. Dann and Laurent prob just as effective

There is that. I just don't think it should be inspiring the confidenxr that we have nothing to worry about.

Especially given that in a couple of recent seasons squads that should be at least mid-table, have been saved by unusually high numbers of poor teams at the bottom.

I don't think it is over confidence but you look at the goals we are scoring and there are plenty of wins available, in the last 2 games we've only let in 1, both times with a 2 goal lead established first.

There was a thread on Twitter earlier that only 1 season of late would have seen us drop with a 9pt deduction and none with a 6pt one and we've been a lot shattered plus one team already has -12 minimum. Pulling back 6pts (on today's table) on those just outside is something this squad should be able to do over 38 games.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 22 Sep 2021 18:51

Millsy
Linden Jones' Tash
Snowflake Royal Its never been fees. It's always wages. Always. Always

This.

and it is why I am always infuriated at modern footballer's wages being quoted on a per week basis...

I know it's a throwback to when working men were actually paid at the end of the week for their shifts, but subliminally it reduces the impact of these astronomical figures and numbs people to the actual sums being paid out for Championship football...

it would be better if we said Liam Moore is on at least £1.8M a year (feel free to correct the actual figure - I just took the often cited £35k a week X 52 weeks) plus there must be bonuses etc...

A wage bill of £40M a year on revenue of £17M should make it obvious to most people

Tbf I don't think there's a person in the country who can't work out that several thousand pounds per week is astronomical

It's a bit like space. Tell me all you like how it's hundreds of miles from one end of the milky way to tother other and I'll just shrug my shoulders and say "urgh, that's a lot".

I hope you're right.

Sadly the state of the world over the last few years makes me wonder sometimes

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2021 19:15

Linden Jones' Tash
Millsy
Linden Jones' Tash
This.

I hope you're right.

Sadly the state of the world over the last few years makes me wonder sometimes

I don't know if I'm right. Perhaps I'm just talking about my circles. I'm sure there are a lot of thick people around so maybe you're right.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 Sep 2021 19:30

Low, Dellor, Friday & co finally taking note of all this.

Dellor claiming he knew ages ago and has discussed on Radio Berks with his royals has beens but from what I can remember was all hypothetical and we all knew this outcome was a possibility from the club financials.

The local media is embarrassing in my view with fan sites well ahead of what's going on compared to paid local journos

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Sep 2021 19:53

Linden Jones' Tash
Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner There must be other clubs surely operating like us?
It's not like we have been blowing tens of millions on players like other clubs.
Yeah Puscas and João were big signings for us, but compared to other some players transfer fees....surely there are more teams. SJM on talkshite shortly.

Its never been fees. It's always wages. Always. Always

This.

I know it's a throwback to when working men were actually paid at the end of the week for their shifts, but subliminally it reduces the impact of these astronomical figures

Interesting. I have always seen it the other way around I.e the media quote footballers wages in units of weeks because it makes it sound so much bigger and more sensational

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2021 20:02

Mid Sussex Royal Low, Dellor, Friday & co finally taking note of all this.

Dellor claiming he knew ages ago and has discussed on Radio Berks with his royals has beens but from what I can remember was all hypothetical and we all knew this outcome was a possibility from the club financials.

The local media is embarrassing in my view with fan sites well ahead of what's going on compared to paid local journos

Dellor was talking about this ages ago and every game working out if we could prevent relegation if we are docked 12 points when most people, me included, were wondering wtf he's on about and thinking about autopro.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 Sep 2021 20:05

Millsy

Dellor was talking about this ages ago and every game working out if we could prevent relegation if we are docked 12 points when most people, me included, were wondering wtf he's on about and thinking about autopro.

We've all seen the figs and known what could happen...the accounts are in the public domain

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Sep 2021 20:21

Mid Sussex Royal
Millsy

We've all seen the figs and known what could happen...the accounts are in the public domain

Yeah but the point is that Dellor has talked about this before on a number of occasions.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 22 Sep 2021 20:23

All clubs should make a pact and break ffp rules if everyone gets a points deduction nobody gets a points deduction.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Sep 2021 20:26

Excludes Derby obvs

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Sep 2021 21:13

I wonder if we will get the full amount of points deducted. I mean we haven't been Derby and been bloody awkward and openly flaunted the rules. We have worked with the EFL and let them sanction signings and appear to have been open with them. So a full deduction seems harsh.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Sep 2021 22:11

Ascotexgunner I wonder if we will get the full amount of points deducted. I mean we haven't been Derby and been bloody awkward and openly flaunted the rules. We have worked with the EFL and let them sanction signings and appear to have been open with them. So a full deduction seems harsh.

The owners knew the rules and flaunted them. Wanted instant sucess. Now paying the price. I won't be renewing my season ticket until they've gone.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 22 Sep 2021 22:44

Linden Jones' Tash I'd also be interested to see some kind of viable strategy laid out for how things improve moving forwards - correct me if I am wrong, but you either:

a) grow your revenues or

b) manage your costs

in order to comply with FFP...

a) Grow your revenues:
seems like the owners have decided to set reasonable ticket pricing etc, so revenue growth isn't coming from the local fan base - frozen ST pricing for the last however many years is admirable for us ST holders, but hardly generates millions

so what about new and different revenue streams: there seem to be some newish affiliate programmes, but again that all seems to be small change - the Stadium naming rights - but that's now done.
Licensing deals for digital content? is that likely to grow any revenue?

Nothing game changing seems to be in the offing

b) Manage your costs:
as mentioned by others, if we don't have championship level players, then we don't stay in the Championship...

Feels like a catch 22 with no way out...

And that perfectly describes the insanity which is the Championship. Everyone is trying to find a way to lose millions and get promoted before the EFL is able to work out what is going on and bring the hammer down.

The solution though is to not just let everyone spend whatever they want - otherwise it just continues the insanity. Why do people think that if FPP rules were abolished that WE would be one of the clubs that could outspend everyone else? And why do people think that's a reasonable way of running a football league? What we need is for the parachute payment system to be reformed and for the EFL to be much quicker in preventing high spending so that it levels the playing field for everyone.

If all clubs could only spend what they legitimately raise through match days, commercial deals and tv rights then Reading would probably be mid table in the spending league and outcomes would just be determined by how clever/lucky we were with that money.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 22 Sep 2021 23:31

Personally I pay more attention to what the Podcast guys say…despite being fans, they genuinely seem more knowledgeable than the journos & pundits most of the time

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 23 Sep 2021 05:56

Notts Royal

Personally I pay more attention to what the Podcast guys say…despite being fans, they genuinely seem more knowledgeable than the journos & pundits most of the time

They're utter bells though

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Sep 2021 06:27

Simmops
Notts Royal

Don't like them or the show, do your own.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 23 Sep 2021 06:44

There's also something very 'Reading' about spunking millions and blowing FFP out of the water by being just mediocre....

Plus its seems like most fans didn't notice we were making the big play over the last 3/4 years...

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 23 Sep 2021 07:08

Genuinely baffled by the idea punishments for breaking written rules which clubs have signed up to should be negotiable.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 23 Sep 2021 07:52

Stranded
Simmops
Notts Royal

Don't like them or the show, do your own.

I can easily . Its talking into a mic how hard can it be?

776 posts
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 11:53