Points Deduction Incoming!

776 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Points Deduction Incoming!

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Sep 2021 12:37

genome

Ron Gourlay

Also parachute payments which ceased. You can see the same effect in 2012 when the ceased from our 2008 relegation, but we got promoted before it became a big issue. 2012 was in the SJM era and we didn't have big earners aside from Roberts who joined in January.

Don't get me wrong, Gourlay's decisions were a shit show, but if you're hoping to compete at the top of our league, the wage demands are so high it's very hard to keep up without parachute payments. Being a good selling club to absorb £10m or so of losses p.a. like Brentford is basically the only way.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Sep 2021 12:43

NathStPaul
Lower West
hughsies no.1
End of the day, the most important think is the club doesn't go under. At the end of this coming season we are going to lose a lot of players and be very reliant on youth. I see a fire sale in January coming (Swift, Laurent, Rino)...

Probably not. Relegation isn't an option. The owners appear set in their ways. The Chinese hate to lose face. All about keeping up with the Jonses i.e. their football club owning mates. We've unfortunately got the clueless one. We need an owner that's visible to the fans. Not hides away.

It is annoying that some of our supporters think we have no money, we do and lots of it. We are being punished for spending too much money in line with the regulations, not administration or anything like that. We do not need to sell, we need to spend less. We aren't going to sell anyone in January if there is a real threat of us being relegated, what would be the point?

That’s rubbish.
We don’t have any money. We have very rich owners who have been happy to put lots of money into the club, but it is their money not the club’s.
We aren’t in horrendous debt like Derby (£26 million owed to HMRC !) which is a massive bonus and we are extremely unlikely to be put into administration as all our debt is owed to the owners. However they could decide to stop funding the club and that would essentially finish us.
We are being punished for making too big a loss. Selling would reduce that loss as probably do it quicker than spending less. If we sold our entire first team in January we would probably then be FFP compliant but a bit stuck in terms of playing football matches.
Punishment for going into administration is a totally different thing to breaching FFP. You can go into admin without breaching FFP and vice versa. Derby’s 12 points would be a punishment for going into admin, with another 9 looming for FFP breaches. We will probably get a deduction for FFP breaches but none knows what the level might be.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Sep 2021 12:45

Elm Park Kid Heard this morning about some additional punishments from the EFL:

1. We have to play "They call us the Royals" before every game.

Best song ever. It's what I wake up to daily.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Sep 2021 12:58

Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal
Simmops An academy which will close because we won't be able to afford

Why won't we be able to afford it?

Because it costs a million or so a year and if we get relegated to League Two, our income will be a few million.

Why do you think L2 teams don’t have academies for the most part.

Aceademy costs are excluded from the FFP calcualtions so as long as we have owners who are willing to fund it then it can continue as it is. Our owners don't seem to be too concerned about spending money.....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2021 13:06

Wycombe Royal
Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal Why won't we be able to afford it?

Because it costs a million or so a year and if we get relegated to League Two, our income will be a few million.

Aceademy costs are excluded from the FFP calcualtions so as long as we have owners who are willing to fund it then it can continue as it is. Our owners don't seem to be too concerned about spending money.....

FFP doesn’t come into it. And if you think Yongge will stick around to L2 you're deluded.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Sep 2021 13:08

We gambled, it failed, we’ll get punished. We’ll prob still stay up and start almost afresh next season

Most clubs in the champ are dependent on a rich owner as we are. It’s the owner out of pocket at the end of the day not us

Suck up the punishment and move on. Enjoy the season and watching the likes of swift before he moves on

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Sep 2021 13:13

Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal
Snowflake Royal Because it costs a million or so a year and if we get relegated to League Two, our income will be a few million.

FFP doesn’t come into it. And if you think Yongge will stick around to L2 you're deluded.

Why do you think we will end up in L2? We do not have financial problems. We have an FFP problem.

And to think that I always vote for you in polls on here......

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2021 13:18

Wycombe Royal
Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal Aceademy costs are excluded from the FFP calcualtions so as long as we have owners who are willing to fund it then it can continue as it is. Our owners don't seem to be too concerned about spending money.....

Why do you think we will end up in L2? We do not have financial problems. We have an FFP problem.

I don't.

Just disagreeing with the bonkers idea that if we did we'd still have an Academy to rely.

We have an FFP problem because we have a financial problem. The owner's money is not RFC's money.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 22 Sep 2021 13:26

Still have no clue why these points deductions aren't sorted out before the start of the season. Or why there's not set criteria/dates/points deducted. It all appears arbitrary and dependent on how the EFL are feeling that week.

oxf*rd it, Wednesday October 12th. 9 Points off Reading. Friday April 3rd; lets take 21 points off Derby and 10 points for Griffindor.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Sep 2021 13:43

Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal
Snowflake Royal FFP doesn’t come into it. And if you think Yongge will stick around to L2 you're deluded.

I don't.

Just disagreeing with the bonkers idea that if we did we'd still have an Academy to rely.

We have an FFP problem because we have a financial problem. The owner's money is not RFC's money.

I never said we would be in L2 either. So it seems you are arguing the worng thing with me.

And no we don't have a financial problem. Our owners have shown they are more than willing to throw moeny at the club and if FFP wasn't a thing they would almost certainly be spending even more. You need to seperate the two. Very few football clubs run at a profit, mst run at a loss and their owners are happy to fund that. That is the position we are in. In FFP did not exist no one would be talking about financial problems at this club, they would just be loving the ride on Chinese owners spending lots of money (which I don't actually agree with, but I also don't agree with FFP).

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 22 Sep 2021 13:47

I have no complaints, the rules were broken clear as day hence the club has accepted the charge and is now negotiating a punishment. Perhaps the EFL could’ve done better and I believe they could have to prevent the issue in the first place but it was always coming. I still think we have enough to stay up.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 22 Sep 2021 13:48

Yet Bournemouth vastly broke FFP to get promoted the PL, and it was always stated that upon their return to the FL, they would then receive their punishment for cheating - yet no punishment for them.

FFP is far too inconsistent and really needs a lot of looking at.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 22 Sep 2021 13:50

Hound We gambled, it failed, we’ll get punished. We’ll prob still stay up and start almost afresh next season

Most clubs in the champ are dependent on a rich owner as we are. It’s the owner out of pocket at the end of the day not us

Suck up the punishment and move on. Enjoy the season and watching the likes of swift before he moves on

Hear hear. Fresh start next season and kick on. But we must stay up this season.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Sep 2021 14:02

Anybody else annoyed we didn't even get the good times that should have led to this? We should have gone big on decent players and a big name manager, then maybe we'd have enjoyed a few seasons at the top of the league and perhaps narrowly missing out.

But instead the Dais and Gourlay went big on Aluko, Bodvarsson, Baldock, Edwards, Bacuna and other similarly shit signings. The seasons immediately after the big spending were turgid dross.

At least Sheff Wed and Derby got playoff campaigns for their problems. Pompey even won the bloody F.A. Cup.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Sep 2021 14:09

Well we're officially up to 13th for now with Derby's point deduction for administration coming before ours. :D

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Sep 2021 14:26

Hound
URZZZZ
Hound
yep terrible windows.

Think most of the 28 squad players were players hanging around from previous years business. Got in Joao and Puscas (plus was it Pele and Miazga?) but as mentioned previously, I'd argue those signings kept us up.

Will have to have a scan back through at that squad, but know Bowen was very uncomfortable with the squad size. Actually think even going back to Clement he moaned a fair bit about it. Maybe we could have been more aggressive cutting it.

edit: looking at the squad - yeah definitely some unnecessary signings I'd forgotten about - Adam, Boye then later Araruna and Timbe. At least they were short term

Virginia too although relatively speaking, can’t imagine he would have cost us very much at all

Must admit, don’t particularly share the same thoughts with your reflections on the 2019 window. The squad we had should have been much more capable than relying on a good Christmas period to get us over the line. Rafael and Morrison were the only ones who performed fairly consistently through the season. Miazga kept picking up knocks and the rest only played well in fits and bursts that season. Joao and Ejaria have delivered longer term benefits but I still wouldn’t have classified it as a particularly successful window given that we finished 14th and two managers were sacked by the start of the next season

Ejaria was decent. Puscas and Joao scored 20 between them

Who were our strikers otherwise? Never fit baldock , loader and Novakovic? That’s relegation quality

Meite was perceived as a striker at the time (not by me I hasten to add!). We had Bodvarsson at the start of the summer (someone who fans thought was underplayed whilst here) and Loader (who was expected to really kick on the second season). Sure, not a spectacular set of strikers but probably better than relegation quality

For the record, the 2019 window was incomparable to the disasters of the 2017 and 2018 summer ones. We bought players that have contributed in a positive manner, with some still being here. Still not sure I’d classify it as a particularly strong window though. A lot of money spent and aside from an unsustainable purple patch last season, we haven’t exactly pulled up many trees since

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Sep 2021 14:27

Interesting* article on Football365

https://www.football365.com/news/readin ... -deduction

Essentially we are probably the best placed club to suffer a deduction due to the quality of the squad amongst other reasons.

Season is so young that if we got 6 points now, we'd only be 9 off the play-offs with 38 to go. We were 9 points off a couple of weeks ago anyway.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Sep 2021 14:35

Dirk Gently
karbota
Hendo
Maybe someone domestic like Mel Morris would’ve been better?

Should have been offered to the fans.

Because, of course, the 10,000 regular supporters would be perfectly able to raise £18+ million to buy it, as well as all the extra millions required to pay off the debt surrounding it.

That’s only £1,800 each. Supporters could each sell a kidney on the black market. Those who don’t have kidneys could simply go without food for a few weeks.

The debt is also easy to deal with. Supporters could sell their homes. Those who rent could live in a tent during the summer and give the savings to the club. Finally, children could raise the money through a sponsored walk and not buying Call of Duty.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Sep 2021 14:45

NathStPaul
Lower West
hughsies no.1
End of the day, the most important think is the club doesn't go under. At the end of this coming season we are going to lose a lot of players and be very reliant on youth. I see a fire sale in January coming (Swift, Laurent, Rino)...

Probably not. Relegation isn't an option. The owners appear set in their ways. The Chinese hate to lose face. All about keeping up with the Jonses i.e. their football club owning mates. We've unfortunately got the clueless one. We need an owner that's visible to the fans. Not hides away.

It is annoying that some of our supporters think we have no money, we do and lots of it. We are being punished for spending too much money in line with the regulations, not administration or anything like that. We do not need to sell, we need to spend less. We aren't going to sell anyone in January if there is a real threat of us being relegated, what would be the point?

Cut the wage bill.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Sep 2021 14:56

Lower West
NathStPaul
Lower West

Cut the wage bill.

That will be cut in the summer anyway when a lot of the high paid players leave? Nice one.

776 posts