What do you think of the owners? Poll

What are your feelings towards the owners currently?

delighted with them
7%
happy with them
48%
ambivalent
25%
Pissed off with them
8%
Leave now
12%

Total votes: 73
Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

What do you think of the owners? Poll

by Brogue » 23 Sep 2021 10:19

soft embargo, now a points deduction. So where do you sit on the owners currently?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: What do you think of the owners? Poll

by Dirk Gently » 23 Sep 2021 10:24

Gambled the club on getting promotion last year - and failed.

Also way too remote and anonymous - a club in lots of ways takes on the personality and ethics of its owners. is it any wonder RFC is now faceless and characterless?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Sep 2021 10:47

Fine with them, they seem better than the last two whose efforts seem to have hamstrung them somewhat. I would like to be invited round for tea a bit more often though

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 23 Sep 2021 10:56

They’ve delivered on an amazing training facility at Bearwood. They have supported the team in every possible aspect. Ticket prices remain among the lowest in the division and they’ve laid on free coach travel for those that wanted it.

Naive at times with the advice they‘ve taken but it’s not as bad as some would have you believe.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Sep 2021 11:08

RG30 They’ve delivered on an amazing training facility at Bearwood. They have supported the team in every possible aspect. Ticket prices remain among the lowest in the division and they’ve laid on free coach travel for those that wanted it.

Naive at times with the advice they‘ve taken but it’s not as bad as some would have you believe.

+1

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 23 Sep 2021 11:10

RG30 They’ve delivered on an amazing training facility at Bearwood. They have supported the team in every possible aspect. Ticket prices remain among the lowest in the division and they’ve laid on free coach travel for those that wanted it.

+2

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Sep 2021 11:10

I'm happy with them for now, I don't know if they were naive when it comes to the Championship with their attempt to essentially throw caution to the wind in pursuit of Premier League football but if they learn from this and run the club sensibly but competitively, in a similar vein to Brentford then I would probably bump them up to "delighted".

If they keep trying to ignore the FFP rules after we have recovered from our current situation then they'll probably lose my support.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Sep 2021 11:22

I'm okay with them, he's got the money, wants to invest in us, but went overboard.

Our situation is different to Derby - they were punished for being poor, whereas we're being punished for being rich.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Sep 2021 11:31

Yep...this. Perfectly summed up.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Sep 2021 11:40

Ascotexgunner

Yep...this. Perfectly summed up.

Yeah pretty much. Impt now they learn from the mistakes though. Signs are there that they are but we need to be better at selling players and far more sensible with wages and fees for those incoming

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Sep 2021 11:52

Dirk Gently Gambled the club on getting promotion last year - and failed.

Also way too remote and anonymous - a club in lots of ways takes on the personality and ethics of its owners. is it any wonder RFC is now faceless and characterless?

Yep agreed. Gone from being positive to ambivalent.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 23 Sep 2021 11:58

genome I'm okay with them, he's got the money, wants to invest in us, but went overboard.

Our situation is different to Derby - they were punished for being poor, whereas we're being punished for being rich.

Labour vs tory you could say

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 23 Sep 2021 12:58

tidus_mi2 I'm happy with them for now, I don't know if they were naive when it comes to the Championship with their attempt to essentially throw caution to the wind in pursuit of Premier League football but if they learn from this and run the club sensibly but competitively, in a similar vein to Brentford then I would probably bump them up to "delighted".

If they keep trying to ignore the FFP rules after we have recovered from our current situation then they'll probably lose my support.

They’ve constantly ignored the FFP rules up to now.

People seem to forget Gourlay was brought in under their watch, and the overspending in 2019 was after he left.

Gobsmacked they’ve done so well in this poll!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Sep 2021 13:05

Notts Royal
tidus_mi2 I'm happy with them for now, I don't know if they were naive when it comes to the Championship with their attempt to essentially throw caution to the wind in pursuit of Premier League football but if they learn from this and run the club sensibly but competitively, in a similar vein to Brentford then I would probably bump them up to "delighted".

They’ve constantly ignored the FFP rules up to now.

People seem to forget Gourlay was brought in under their watch, and the overspending in 2019 was after he left.

Gobsmacked they’ve done so well in this poll!

Gourlay took advantage of the owners and wrote cheques his ass couldn't cash. They are guilty of being very naive not negligent.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 23 Sep 2021 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 23 Sep 2021 13:32

They are seen and speak when necessary. VP and the staff seem to speak to them often and they seem happy with the situation. We are still attracting decent caliber players so things must be going right. What exactly else do you want from the owner - to serve you a pint before the game. Come out at half time to take a few pens? (FYI i would love that). A monthly RFC news blast from him?

Funny, no one was complaining when we were flying high (for Reading) last season whilst we all knew we were flaunting FFP in comical fashion.

Shouldn't we all wait to hear his Reading Anthem before trying divide up the hate?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 23 Sep 2021 14:55

Wouldn't trust them to look after my cat for the weekend nevermind a football club.

(I don't have a cat)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Sep 2021 14:58

I'm too long in the tooth to get too worked up about the goings on at the club any more but whilst far from perfect, they are a definite upgrade from our last 2 owners and do seem to be investing money in the right areas. I think our current predicament is the consequence of 18 months of madness but, whether at the behest of the EFL, we have spent that last 18 months trying to drag ourselves back in the right direction.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 23 Sep 2021 15:03

They've done a lot right in terms of their approach to the fans, and they clearly spent a shed load of their own money to try and get the club where we all want it. But they've also clearly been incompetent in managing how that money was spent.

If they were to do a Mel Morris and walk away today I'm not sure we'd find a buyer for the club. Still making significant losses, few assets of note and zero opportunity to make any immediate investments to turn things round. Which could very well mean we disappeared. . . . . . .

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 23 Sep 2021 15:50

not sure I get the lack of assets thing. Dai owns them, doesn't he? why would he sell the club and keep the assets? You couldn't build anything else on the land on where the stadium is or the training ground. So what would he do with them? keep them and get the club to pay him rent? A billionaire. Seems a bit small fry to me, i mean how much could he get back on rent for the two? he would surely be better off in including them in the sale.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Sep 2021 15:57

Dirk Gently Gambled the club on getting promotion last year - and failed.

Not sure that's a verdict that holds much weight if you don't live in the country or go to games !
RFC isn't faceless or characterless and clubs don't take on the attributes of their owners, they are much more about the manager and players. Assuming you think the SJM days were the golden uplands I wonder how you explain the fact that we didn't take on his personality and ethics (luckily)