Injuries: new setup needed at the club?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Injuries.

by 3points » 02 Oct 2021 19:15

I remember reading in the past that the modern “bladed” boots may cause more injuries as they give much better grip than the old studs that players used to use. It suggested players feet are planted more in the ground and therefore unable to twist on impact, giving more chance of knee and ankle injuries. I did not during the Lions tour in the summer that the rugby players seemed to use old fashioned round studs rather than blades.

Soft tissues )hamstrings, calf’s, etc) are more likely to be as a result of players being fatigued and not recovering enough. Suspect that’s exactly what happened to Halilovic - body just not used to player 2-3 times per week

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Injuries.

by Millsy » 04 Oct 2021 14:56

I was under the impression pros stopped using blades years ago.

As far as I'm concerned there's a problem with the medical/physio/science side of the club.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Injuries: new setup needed at the club?

by Millsy » 23 Oct 2021 17:31

Bump.

We've had a serious problem for a long time. This isn't normal.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Oct 2021 17:50

Azeez with a hamstring injury so back to having ten out. Why is Rino still out when we were told a month ago he was touch and go for selection?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Oct 2021 20:06

Millsy Bump.

There's been a lot of unusual things going on recently...

As the article on the club site details, these aren't really the sort of injuries that the medical staff can prevent. We've just been very unlucky - as it was almost inevitable someone would be.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Oct 2021 00:24

SCIAG
Millsy Bump.

As the article on the club site details, these aren't really the sort of injuries that the medical staff can prevent. We've just been very unlucky - as it was almost inevitable someone would be.

I totally disagree. This has been going on a long time. I know some stuff about changes that have been made. Good decisions aren't being made.

Take Azeez for instance. In the first half. Clearly brought back too early. Not rehabbed properly? Not assessed properly? Pushed too soon?

It's been a shitshow for several years.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Oct 2021 15:52

Millsy
SCIAG
Millsy Bump.

I totally disagree. This has been going on a long time. I know some stuff about changes that have been made. Good decisions aren't being made.

Take Azeez for instance. In the first half. Clearly brought back too early. Not rehabbed properly? Not assessed properly? Pushed too soon?

It's been a shitshow for several years.

I might be wrong but I think I recall that the second season under Stam saw regular injuries that seemed higher than usual, the next season under Clement Gomes was the same, the following season under Gomes Bowen was a bit more normal, last season was one thing after another with various key players crocked continually particularly between November and March.

This season it’s just gone off the scale with Meite managing to somehow crock himself even before pre-season had really begun and, on average, one player being lost every game played.

Not sure if anyone knows what the average number of injuries a team at this level would expect to carry across a season but I would suggest that Reading have considerably exceeded whatever that figure may be for 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Might there be some issue with the way the managers are working the squad to support the tedious possession game they all seem to want to play here?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Oct 2021 16:07

You only have to look back at the 106 season, more or less an unchanged team or all 46 games. there were a few niggles but they were normally back within a few weeks.
They weren`t made of glass like this lot.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 24 Oct 2021 16:11

windermereROYAL You only have to look back at the 106 season, more or less an unchanged team or all 46 games. there were a few niggles but they were normally back within a few weeks.

Seem to recall Kitson, Shorey and Sidwell getting injured in late August and missing a good few weeks of the season. Lita had a broken ankle in the latter part.

Delboy

by Delboy » 24 Oct 2021 16:19

Why can the club not be honest. Bout how long injured players are out makes no difference to opponents

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Oct 2021 17:57

windermereROYAL You only have to look back at the 106 season, more or less an unchanged team or all 46 games. there were a few niggles but they were normally back within a few weeks.

Completely wrong, as discussed recently, the iconic lineup of Hahnemann-Murty-Sonko-Ivar-Shorey-Little-Sidwell-Harper-Convey-Doyle-Kitson actually only started six games. We very rarely had an unchanged side.

Little, Sidwell, Kitson and Lita all missed significant periods of the season. We had to use Stephen Hunt as a striker and a left back at various times. We were very lucky that Sonko and Ivar were fit all season (as well as Harper and Convey). At one stage we had Murty, Shorey, Sidwell, Kitson, and Little all injured, plus Stack unavailable. Check out the famous win over Sheffield United - our bench was Federici, Osano, Baradji, Oster (on for injured Little at half time) and Obinna.

One major difference is that back then we had a core squad of 15 outfield players. Now we have a squad of 22 or 23 outfield players, 50% bigger. So having 50% more injuries makes sense even before we consider things like COVID.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Oct 2021 18:07

Sutekh
Not sure if anyone knows what the average number of injuries a team at this level would expect to carry across a season but I would suggest that Reading have considerably exceeded whatever that figure may be for 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Might there be some issue with the way the managers are working the squad to support the tedious possession game they all seem to want to play here?

A squad of 25 will typically experience 50 injuries a season. Have no idea how many we’ve actually had recently.

:roll: at the idea that playing possession football will be causing players to get injured.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Oct 2021 18:20

Part of the problem is the severity of the injuries. We had already lost Yaks and Joao to long term injuries by only the second game of the season. At that stage Araruna had already been out for ten months. So three down long term already.

Since then there have been a succession of mid term injuries with a stack of players out for between 2-3 months. One or two recover and return but by the time they do others are injured.

Difficult to see how this is going to change but I do think the club could be a lot clearer about the injuries. As examples we have no idea how Meite was injured in the first place, what Morrison’s injury is and why Rino is still out.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Oct 2021 18:43

RG30

Seem to recall Kitson, Shorey and Sidwell getting injured in late August and missing a good few weeks of the season. Lita had a broken ankle in the latter part.

Yeah, we had a fair few injuries, but mostly didn’t pile up too bad at any one point.

Think big squads and large benches may contribute. Too many players waiting in the wings or in and out.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Oct 2021 20:20

SCIAG

Completely wrong, as discussed recently, the iconic lineup of Hahnemann-Murty-Sonko-Ivar-Shorey-Little-Sidwell-Harper-Convey-Doyle-Kitson actually only started six games. We very rarely had an unchanged side.

Little, Sidwell, Kitson and Lita all missed significant periods of the season. We had to use Stephen Hunt as a striker and a left back at various times. We were very lucky that Sonko and Ivar were fit all season (as well as Harper and Convey). At one stage we had Murty, Shorey, Sidwell, Kitson, and Little all injured, plus Stack unavailable. Check out the famous win over Sheffield United - our bench was Federici, Osano, Baradji, Oster (on for injured Little at half time) and Obinna.

One major difference is that back then we had a core squad of 15 outfield players. Now we have a squad of 22 or 23 outfield players, 50% bigger. So having 50% more injuries makes sense even before we consider things like COVID.

So even with only 15 outfield players we were able to able to field a side that was pretty solid, noone majorly out of position and beat records.

We've been playing midfielders in defence and as full backs, midfielders up front. Despite a larger squad where we should have 50% more residual fit players going by your numbers.

To deny there's even an issue here is very surprising. Are you a professional club apologist perchance?

People are forgetting that I have rare inside knowledge about very dodgy medical personnel changes made at the club. You must know what I'm talking about.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 26 Oct 2021 08:20

retro royal

by retro royal » 26 Oct 2021 09:56

Azeez niggled his hamstring in the first minute, chased ball down channel got a push in the back and went straight for his hamstring. back too soon, should have came off then and not risk further injury.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 26 Oct 2021 11:50

There's a BBC Berks podcast interview with one of Reading FC's former physios, it was a surprisingly good listen. The interchange between manager and physio where the manager would let the physio know which players he needed back for the next game and which ones he could take more time on for example, also all the work the physio did to get Chris Armstrong back after he was diagnosed with MS. (sorry, can't remember the name of the physio).

With the number of injuries we have now, you'd hope they've hired in a few extra physios, however I believe more work should be done to try and identify and protect weaknesses before players pick up unnecessary knocks, particularly in training.

The importance of thorough scouting and medicals for new players should not be overlooked, Last thing we need is to sign another striker and then have them out injured for the rest of the season with a pre-existing condition that wasn't picked up.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Oct 2021 13:43

Sounds to me like there isn’t much more the club can do, they’ve got amongst the best facilities in the country to hand, qualified medicos and understanding management.

Seems to me the only way to improve things in the Championship generally is reduce the number of teams and implement a better international strategy that enables the number of games there to be reduced too.

Meanwhile how much more bad luck is it possible for this club to get with injuries? Perhaps it’s what happens when you don’t get players suspended any more....

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 Oct 2021 19:34

I have been to most of the games and all but one or 2 are game impact injuries rather than training/muscle injuries.

I believe Hoilett has a hamstring injury which happened on International duty.

It would also help if we had decent local press who asked some questions now and then....

Also there are some keyboard warriors on here that obviously don't go to any games.....