Injuries: new setup needed at the club?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Injuries: new setup needed at the club?

by Millsy » 29 Sep 2021 14:29

Can we talk about injuries.

Yes I know all teams get them but we *seem* to have been getting ridiculous numbers for quite some time.

I happened to have some rare inside knowledge a while back which I shared here about strange and unwise personnel changes in the medical setup at RFC when this started, but I honestly don't know if those issues are still present or if there's a new team of physios/medics/sports scientists etc.

Whatever it is, I know that our injury list has been a constant thorn in our side for a long time now, arguably more impactful than poor managers or subs or tactics etc, but noone seems bothered about it.

Is this assumption wrong and is our injury list bang average for a champ side?
Is it because we fail at medicals when we sign players?
Do we push too hard in training?
Are we just southern softies and have lightweight players?
Or is our medical setup not up to it?

There's something clearly not right (to me).

- If players don't perform, they're frozen out/ let go.
- If managers don't get enough points out of the team, they're sacked.
- But it seems if we continue to have an insane number of injuries, no one asks questions of prevention physios, rehab physios, sports scientists, coaches, medical consultants at the club. We just plod on like it's normal because those guys are out of the public eye. In any other field, you don't perform you're out. Why does this not apply here? Or let's look at it another way - perhaps they're fine. BUT it's a real problem we have because we're just unlucky. Ok then... why not invest in the best of the best to look into this and fix it.
Last edited by Millsy on 04 Oct 2021 14:57, edited 2 times in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Injuries.

by Hendo » 29 Sep 2021 14:31

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Sep 2021 14:33

Aware of that rolling long messy list. But I think the discussion is worth its own thread instead of being buried there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Sep 2021 14:39

Millsy

Aware of that rolling long messy list. But I think the discussion is worth its own thread instead of being buried there.

Agree with Hendo. There's loads of discussion there already.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Sep 2021 14:48

Awful from Millsy.....

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 29 Sep 2021 14:51

It is a different question millsy as the other topic is broadly listing who is now crocked and repetition of fcuk it!!
The problem is that nobody has any insight into what goes on at our club so there is only conjecture and you have already done your best to highlight the possibilities.

Let's hope for an improvement in our fortunes in this area in the weeks ahead.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Sep 2021 15:07

I knew someone at uni who did sports science and did work experience at Reading during the SJM era. He said we had a great medical team at the time, and that all our injuries were contact injuries (which are basically unavoidable). It does seem that since then, soft tissue injuries have increased dramatically, as have recurrences and players getting injured upon their return.

If you look at the 05/06 team, Shorey, Kitson, Little, Sidwell and Lita all had at least a month or so out at various stages, but they also recovered well and never seemed to be out with indefinite indeterminate injuries. While many members of the squad played regularly all season without muscle tissue or fatigue issues.

So yes, our medical team does not appear as good as it once was, in fact it seems pretty shit.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Sep 2021 15:11

NathStPaul What we expect from Millsy.....

Corrected for you.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Sep 2021 15:12

Millsy
NathStPaul What we expect from Millsy.....

Corrected for you.

I like your style, you add value and gravitas.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Sep 2021 15:20

South Coast Royal It is a different question millsy as the other topic is broadly listing who is now crocked and repetition of fcuk it!!
The problem is that nobody has any insight into what goes on at our club so there is only conjecture and you have already done your best to highlight the possibilities.

Let's hope for an improvement in our fortunes in this area in the weeks ahead.

Someone gets it, thank you and well done.

We discuss Pauno In/Out/Shakeitallabout despite it saturating every other thread already, for a reason. Big topic(S)

Is our medical team fit for purpose? Just as legit a question that deserves a headline here, because I for one don't think it is.

Good points about insight. The ONE bit of rare insight I did have suggested it was a real issue, competent staff being moved on for very questionable staff to take their place under questionable circumstances.

Easy to lay into Pauno as the face of RFC, but what exactly is our owner doing about the medical/coaching/fitness setup? The first thing I'd be doing is calling them all in and doing a thorough review and situation analysis. There's not a business that wouldn't do that, except RFC for some reason.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Sep 2021 15:30

I wouldn't be surprised if we've made some cut backs to the medical team, as well as most other teams in the face of our continued wrestling with FFP.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Sep 2021 15:41

Unlucky in my view.

Most have been injured in games I believe? Certainly Moore, Morrison and Holmes were of the recent ones

Would also have been nice if the local press had asked some questions after the game on Sat re Morrison and Holmes...Low has posted an injury update but most of the info is a month out of date - the bloke is useless

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Sep 2021 15:44

Mid Sussex Royal Unlucky in my view.

Elderly care consultants will tell you there's no such thing as an unlucky fall. There's always a reason when an elderly person trips or has a "mechanical fall".

I'd say the same with footballers. Yeah unlucky to pull that hamstring on that particular run, or twist the knee at that moment etc etc. But there's very likely underlying issues with muscle balance, fitness levels, nutrition etc etc that puts our players in situations where those things happen and makes us have more 'unlucky' events than others.

As my tutor once said to me the 6th time I missed a tutorial: "yes I know you have another valid reason.. but the problem is these things always seem to happen to you." He had a point.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Oct 2021 10:27

I was talking with one of the old boys I sit near to in the stadium. He reckons the players boots are too light these days and cannot withstand heavy impact
When you think how much better pitches are to play on these days the level of injuries is ridiculous.

Yet we seem to have more problems than most. We could have half our first team squad out today. Is it just bad luck or is the way we play and train part of the problem?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2021 11:07

Zip I was talking with one of the old boys I sit near to in the stadium. He reckons the players boots are too light these days and cannot withstand heavy impact
When you think how much better pitches are to play on these days the level of injuries is ridiculous.

Yet we seem to have more problems than most. We could have half our first team squad out today. Is it just bad luck or is the way we play and train part of the problem?

Surely that only works for foot injuries?

I suspect the game is played at a higher pace, with players closer to the edge of peak physical fitness, with greater technique inviting more challenges meaning getting caught more. More pushes, tugs, twists etc so putting the body through more that is on the edge of it's function.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Oct 2021 11:39

Snowflake Royal
Zip I was talking with one of the old boys I sit near to in the stadium. He reckons the players boots are too light these days and cannot withstand heavy impact

I suspect the game is played at a higher pace, with players closer to the edge of peak physical fitness, with greater technique inviting more challenges meaning getting caught more. More pushes, tugs, twists etc so putting the body through more that is on the edge of it's function.

Yes it’s foot injuries that would come about because of lighter boots. We seem to get our share of ankle injuries.
In regard to your point about players playing closer to the edge and technique surely other sides would be picking up the level of injuries we have but it’s not happening.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2021 13:02

Zip
Snowflake Royal

Yes it’s foot injuries that would come about because of lighter boots. We seem to get our share of ankle injuries.
In regard to your point about players playing closer to the edge and technique surely other sides would be picking up the level of injuries we have but it’s not happening.

I do think sides pick up more injuries. We're a bit of an extreme case maybe. But then has anyone ever actually done a comparison?

I recall Preston with an injury crisis a few seasons back. Barnsley maybe. Leeds are apparently struggling.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Oct 2021 14:06

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Surely that only works for foot injuries?

I do think sides pick up more injuries. We're a bit of an extreme case maybe. But then has anyone ever actually done a comparison?

I recall Preston with an injury crisis a few seasons back. Barnsley maybe. Leeds are apparently struggling.

Reading though do seem to have a bit of an injury crisis every season.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Oct 2021 17:13

3 injuries since this thread started, and it was already ridiculous.

This is not normal.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 02 Oct 2021 17:39

I totally agree with the overall comment that our injury levels are too high . I commented on this a few weeks ago and it has only got worse , it seems to continually get worse . Regarding some of the possible causes put forward . Not only are other teams playing at the same fitness levels as us , but they are also wearing the same boots , but I do believe that our players are going down at an unprecedented rate . It is certainly not the boots . To be honest , I have no idea what it is , but I do believe the matter should be investigated within the club and if necessary , advice taken .
We are fortunate that we are in the league position that we occupy at present .