145 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (a)

by Sutekh » 29 Sep 2021 21:53

When : Saturday 2nd October, 3pm
Where : Cardiff City Stadium, Leckwith Road, Cardiff, CF11 8AZ
Capacity : 33,280

Cardiff City next and Reading will be hoping to give a much better account of themselves than the rather underwhelming pile that appeared at Derby.

Cardiff are not on a good run, trouble is that normally spells big problems for Reading. Cardiff have lost 3 of their last 3 home games and are on an overall run of 5 defeats from 6 games. They will also have had an extra days rest following their 4-0 stuffing by WBA on Tuesday.

The goal threat comes from Cardiff’s defence with Sean Morrison (remember him?) and Aden Flint leading their scoring charts with 6 goals between them. Guess that means they’re quite useful at set pieces so Reading will no doubt endeavour to give them as many of those as possible.

Cardiff would appear to have a fairly clean bill of health at the moment while Reading, as we know, continue with their injury curse which sees Araruna, Azeez, Holmes, Joao, McIntyre, Meite, Moore, Morrison and Rinomhota all sidelined.

Referee

Thomas “first ever Reading game” Bramall

Historically

It’s the 32nd trip to Cardiff in the league and as you’d expect Cardiff have the upper hand by 13 wins to 9 with 9 draws.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Get a ticket and travel
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (a)

by windermereROYAL » 29 Sep 2021 21:55

Cardiff will look to hit us at set pieces, without height at the back they could hurt us.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 29 Sep 2021 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 29 Sep 2021 22:30

Cardiff are bang out of form and have been battered in the last two games... time for us to turn up and give our usual helping hand.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Sep 2021 00:23

windermereROYAL Cardiff will look to hit us at set pieces, without height at the back they could hurt us.

We said the same about Boro tbf.

We played some really good stuff times in the first half today but didn’t quite have the end product against a really organised and hard working Derby defence.

Against a more leaky defence we should have some joy so no reason to think we shouldn’t be looking to win this.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2021 08:53

Yep, every time we lose a game, doesn't automatically mean it was a 'pile'. It was a reasonable performance in a tough hard fought game.

Perfect opportunity to bounce back this. Think Dann should start hopefully. Presuming none of the other injured lads (what has Rino actually done to himself? ) will be back, so suspect same team as yesterday except Hoilett in for Puscas and Dann for Tetek.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2021 09:17

Would like to persist with Puscas. He was playing well and starting to get chances before dropped. Whilst he may not improve. I think he's far more likely to score 5-10 than Hoilett.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2021 09:19

yeah same but I suspect Hoilett will be back in. Not keen on it to be honest, don't think he adds a lot there.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Sep 2021 09:23

Same here too. The fact Puscas was subbed so early doesn’t suggest management are very happy with him so I suspect Hoilett will start.
Don’t think he has been handled well at all.

I fully expect Kieffer Moore to start for Cardiff so we really need Dann on the pitch from the start.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Sep 2021 09:27

I’m hoping Rino is on the bench on Saturday. Just gives us another option. Would be handy to bring him in on if we are ahead in the game.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Sep 2021 09:30

Snowflake Royal Would like to persist with Puscas. He was playing well and starting to get chances before dropped. Whilst he may not improve. I think he's far more likely to score 5-10 than Hoilett.

+1

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Sep 2021 10:59

Zip Same here too. The fact Puscas was subbed so early doesn’t suggest management are very happy with him so I suspect Hoilett will start.

I fully expect Kieffer Moore to start for Cardiff so we really need Dann on the pitch from the start.

Seems management have lost confidence in Puscas since his woeful display in what was a must win game at Luton last season

Just don’t get the impression any more that he is ever going to score. Don’t think he’ll get a sniff once Joao and Meite are back, but given the severity of their injuries, time is on his side. Although wouldn’t be surprised if we use the international break to bring another ST in

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Sep 2021 11:19

I think we have to go there and just be positive. We can score plenty of goals, especially from midfield and our midfield is right up there with the best of them imo. Lets go for throat early on, put the pressure on a Cardiff side lacking confidence. An early goal will get the crowd on the players backs too, their supporters are already very restless.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2021 11:21

URZZZZ
Zip Same here too. The fact Puscas was subbed so early doesn’t suggest management are very happy with him so I suspect Hoilett will start.

Seems management have lost confidence in Puscas since his woeful display in what was a must win game at Luton last season

Just don’t get the impression any more that he is ever going to score. Don’t think he’ll get a sniff once Joao and Meite are back, but given the severity of their injuries, time is on his side. Although wouldn’t be surprised if we use the international break to bring another ST in

I don't think bringing in a striker who is a free agent and therefore in no way match fit is the answer to any question other than how can we waste more money.

And if someone says Andy oxf*rd Carroll I may scream.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Sep 2021 12:13

Andy Carroll.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2021 12:21

YEEEEAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHgggghhllllllAAAAIIIIIIEEEEEENOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 30 Sep 2021 12:25

Doesn't seem like a definite no to me, you seem unsure.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Sep 2021 14:05

Millsy
Snowflake Royal Would like to persist with Puscas. He was playing well and starting to get chances before dropped. Whilst he may not improve. I think he's far more likely to score 5-10 than Hoilett.

+1

But then Hoilett used to play for Cardiff so might be the sort to go back and haunt them - and imagine the crowd reaction if he managed to give Reading the lead given that Cardiff only released him in the summer…

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 30 Sep 2021 14:33

Weather forecast is for rain and lots of it. Plus strong winds

Don't think that will help us at all.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 30 Sep 2021 16:51

bcubed Weather forecast is for rain and lots of it. Plus strong winds

Will help them less...the ball is always in the air with McCarthy sides

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 30 Sep 2021 17:10

Mid Sussex Royal
bcubed Weather forecast is for rain and lots of it. Plus strong winds

Will help them less...the ball is always in the air with McCarthy sides

Maybe

I always think rain and a heavy pitch, which may follow, helps the less skilful team
And strong wind tends to even things out and make it a bit of a lottery

More to the point, I'm now going to this game (first one this season) so that is sure to help the opposition!

145 posts