MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (h)

288 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (h)

by CountryRoyal » 21 Oct 2021 02:34

URZZZZ
Hendo One for those who say Pauno should’ve changed it/bought players on.

Who exactly? What else could he have done?

His hands are incredibly tied at the moment

Don’t think anyone could disagree his hands are tied but there’s pretty much always an opportunity to change things up

The entire midfield were a shambles the second half (poss Swift excluded). I’m not sure it could have got worse. Could have used Holmes as a third CB with the persistent crossing in from them. Doesn’t mean you have to be ultra defensive, adjust to the system. Could have given Puscas a strike partner, press from the front, stop the flow of Blackpool’s pressure. Push Yiadom further forward and play a wider game, try and give the opposition something else to think about rather than an insistence on cramming through the middle all game. None particularly ideal but persevering with something that clearly wasn’t working was daft and ultimately didn’t work

Anyway, it was evident last season that Paunovic didn’t change things up quickly enough when it wasn’t going our way (even with perceived “poor” first team players - they weren’t a bunch of kids). In game tactical decisions a big part of the game. Seem to struggle with it

This.

Unless you’re bringing on a significantly better player, which we can’t, then like for like position subs won’t really cut it when the entire team is massively on the back foot and getting outplayed. There are lots of things a manager could try to do with the personal available already on the pitch to try and change the game. It does seem that Pauno has complete and utter blind faith in this system even when it isn’t working which is vivid to anyone with eyes. It’s confusing.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Oct 2021 08:28

URZZZZ

Don’t think anyone could disagree his hands are tied but there’s pretty much always an opportunity to change things up

The entire midfield were a shambles the second half (poss Swift excluded). I’m not sure it could have got worse. Could have used Holmes as a third CB with the persistent crossing in from them. Doesn’t mean you have to be ultra defensive, adjust to the system. Could have given Puscas a strike partner, press from the front, stop the flow of Blackpool’s pressure. Push Yiadom further forward and play a wider game, try and give the opposition something else to think about rather than an insistence on cramming through the middle all game. None particularly ideal but persevering with something that clearly wasn’t working was daft and ultimately didn’t work

Anyway, it was evident last season that Paunovic didn’t change things up quickly enough when it wasn’t going our way (even with perceived “poor” first team players - they weren’t a bunch of kids). In game tactical decisions a big part of the game. Seem to struggle with it

If he had bought Holmes on, he would’ve copped so much flack for making a “defensive” substitution as he so often did last season/has done earlier this season.

I just don’t think with the players he had available last night there was a whole lot else he could’ve done.

Maybe he is set in his ways, but so are plenty of other managers and for the most part, over the last 2 seasons, his way has worked, whether people want to admit it or not.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2021 08:37

Hendo
URZZZZ

If he had bought Holmes on, he would’ve copped so much flack for making a “defensive” substitution as he so often did last season/has done earlier this season.

I just don’t think with the players he had available last night there was a whole lot else he could’ve done.

Maybe he is set in his ways, but so are plenty of other managers and for the most part, over the last 2 seasons, his way has worked, whether people want to admit it or not.

yeah bringing Holmes on has been criticised on many occasions and would surely have not helped in the slightest. He tried to change things slightly with Clarke, but its very limited what you can expect an 18 year old to do.

He could possibly have brought on Azeez for one of the underperforming midfielders (he had a choice of 5) but Azeez did nothing when he came on either.

Really couldn't see a lot that he could do. We just got outplayed

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 Oct 2021 08:42

It seemed to me that the few fit players we have simply ran out of gas and even trying to manipulate formations may have not have been enough.

It’s not surprising that they may be running on empty since they’ve all had a great run but with precious little backup/reinforcements

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2021 08:43

Franchise FC It seemed to me that the few fit players we have simply ran out of gas and even trying to manipulate formations may have not have been enough.

It’s not surprising that they may be running on empty since they’ve all had a great run but with precious little backup/reinforcements

I think there is truth in that. But also just the inability to replace an underperforming player. DD for example was having an absolute mare but very few options to take him off

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 Oct 2021 08:47

Hound
Franchise FC It seemed to me that the few fit players we have simply ran out of gas and even trying to manipulate formations may have not have been enough.

I think there is truth in that. But also just the inability to replace an underperforming player. DD for example was having an absolute mare but very few options to take him off

At the risk of sounding like an ex-manager, we have to put this one behind us and move on. With the missing list as long as it is, it’s no surprise that we eventually come a cropper.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2021 08:48

Hound

Part of the problem is that nearly all of our summer signings haven’t been playing regular football for a long time and it showed. However Pauno has to bring on fresh legs including one of the inexperienced lads if only for a bit of energy. We were so much on the back foot. So tired. No energy at all.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2021 08:51

Zip
Hound

Part of the problem is that nearly all of our summer signings haven’t been playing regular football for a long time and it showed. However Pauno has to bring on fresh legs including one of the inexperienced lads if only for a bit of energy. We were so much on the back foot. So tired. No energy at all.

Drinkwater has barely played for 2 years, and has now played something like 7 in a row. TDB much the same, also Rehmann. Swift hasn't played this many games in a row for a fair while either.

I'm pretty sure the rain and wet pitch probably didn't help a great deal either. It really was absolutely hammering down and the pitch must have been getting heavy towards the end

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2021 08:59

Agree about Puscas and the fouls. He so rarely wins a free kick when the defender is all over him.

I mentioned on another post about how much space and time we are giving opposition teams. It happened on Saturday and again last night. It took so little for Blackpool to get the ball out wide into a dangerous position.
Last three games the opposition have in total had more than three times the attempts on goals we have had. That will tell in the end.
We are also conceding too many free kicks in dangerous positions.

Our current midfield isn’t working. We miss Rino’s energy.

Just one final point. Their comeback started with a very fortunate corner where the ball seemed to travel miles and ended up sailing out for a corner having come off one of our players further up the pitch.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2021 09:06

Zip Agree about Puscas and the fouls. He so rarely wins a free kick when the defender is all over him.

I mentioned on another post about how much space and time we are giving opposition teams. It happened on Saturday and again last night. It took so little for Blackpool to get the ball out wide into a dangerous position.
Last three games the opposition have in total had more than three times the attempts on goals we have had. That will tell in the end.
We are also conceding too many free kicks in dangerous positions.

Our current midfield isn’t working. We miss Rino’s energy.

Just one final point. Their comeback started with a very fortunate corner where the ball seemed to travel miles and ended up sailing out for a corner having come off one of our players further up the pitch.

Wasn't that straight from our goal kick as well.

We miss Rino in the middle. We miss Laurent playing like a pro footballer. Swift's influence has waned since DD has come in (but still managing to get goals and assists). TDB isnt a wide mid - so missing AH and Hoilett there.

We played like a patched up team with a couple of vital players having really poor days.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Oct 2021 10:09

I don’t think it's any coincidence that the first time we concede under sustained pressure with Moore back in the team we completely fall apart and panic.

It's exactly what was happening before he got injured.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Oct 2021 10:16

Snowflake Royal I don’t think it's any coincidence that the first time we concede under sustained pressure with Moore back in the team we completely fall apart and panic.

Yep, he is just bad news for us. He's the exact opposite of what we need back there, far too casual.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2021 10:19

Snowflake Royal I don’t think it's any coincidence that the first time we concede under sustained pressure with Moore back in the team we completely fall apart and panic.

Harsh Ian. We lost last night because our midfield was abysmal. Dann and Moore had done well to keep them out until the 68th minute.
First Blackpool goal was fortuitous. A lucky corner from which a shot took a deflection and went in.
Second goal could be down to either Moore or Dann leaving the player ummarked in the box. Third goal was just stupidity from Yiadom. All brought about though because Blackpool were totally dominant.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Oct 2021 10:21

For those saying that was the worse 2nd half since Bristol rovers I`ll give you Ipswich 4-0 defeat under Clement.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2021 10:23

Zip

Harsh Ian. We lost last night because our midfield was abysmal. Dann and Moore had done well to keep them out until the 68th minute.
First Blackpool goal was fortuitous. A lucky corner from which a shot took a deflection and went in.
Second goal could be down to either Moore or Dann leaving the player ummarked in the box. Third goal was just stupidity from Yiadom. All brought about though because Blackpool were totally dominant.

yeah, far from Moore's biggest fan but wouldnt blame him for last night. And we were rubbish and panicky long before they scored their first - we could have conceded 3-4 in the first half alone

The tactic from corners of bringing everyone into the box is rubbish - they had two free shots from the D after clearances, one of which went in, and one that Southwood made a great double save from. Poor stuff

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2021 10:24

windermereROYAL For those saying that was the worse 2nd half since Bristol rovers I`ll give you Ipswich 4-0 defeat under Clement.

we weren't as outplayed in that game from memory. In fact I think it was pretty close, us being the better side until they scored, and we crumbled chasing an equaliser. And conceded twice in injury time when we'd given up

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Oct 2021 10:50

Hound
Zip

yeah, far from Moore's biggest fan but wouldnt blame him for last night. And we were rubbish and panicky long before they scored their first - we could have conceded 3-4 in the first half alone

The tactic from corners of bringing everyone into the box is rubbish - they had two free shots from the D after clearances, one of which went in, and one that Southwood made a great double save from. Poor stuff

Thought Moore was excellent in the first half and made a couple of excellent tackles/blocks. You could argue that we were under quite a bit of pressure v Cardiff, yet we kept a clean sheet in that one. I think when it comes to Moore, Ian and a lot of others, are quite blinkered.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Oct 2021 10:53

There are a large number of supporters who simply will refuse to blame Liam Moore for anything because he is a nice guy, has been quite accessible etc. The facts are he has been really poor for about 2 seasons now, continuously lets us down and puts a lot of pressure on our defenders and goalkeeper. Should have been sold a long time ago.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2021 10:55

NathStPaul There are a large number of supporters who simply will refuse to blame Liam Moore for anything because he is a nice guy, has been quite accessible etc. The facts are he has been really poor for about 2 seasons now, continuously lets us down and puts a lot of pressure on our defenders and goalkeeper. Should have been sold a long time ago.

not really debating that, but just that would just argue Ian's point that we started crumbling as soon as we conceded and this is in some way down to Moore

As it was he had a decent first half, but can take a share of the blame for the second half performance - but in all honesty it was our midfield who got totally overrun which was the main reason we lost, not Moore's lack of concentration or calmness

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2021 10:57

NathStPaul There are a large number of supporters who simply will refuse to blame Liam Moore for anything because he is a nice guy, has been quite accessible etc. The facts are he has been really poor for about 2 seasons now, continuously lets us down and puts a lot of pressure on our defenders and goalkeeper. Should have been sold a long time ago.

We really didn’t lose because of Moore last night. Far from it. Our midfield was hopelessly outplayed.

288 posts