BTFG Blackburn

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BTFG Blackburn

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Oct 2021 10:01

I'm seeing previous problems and failures repeat. Which is concerning.

Last season we started out with a strong defensive shape, then got increasingly open and cavalier as the season went on until we just kept conceding silly goals.

We started that way this season, then tightened up and are now cocky again.

Last season Rino and Laurent started by sitting and spoiling primarily. Then they got more expansive and adventurous. This season started adventurous, then Drinkwater came in and sat. Now he's playing all over the place and trying to create and take people on.

To me, this seems a failure in management. Either in getting the players to stick to the plan, or in encouraging them into a different and consistently failing plan.

I'm also concerned by the continued failure to address issues in the games. In both the last two we came under increasing pressure before collapsing, but no action was taken to address that. In both games the opposition started running through us at will as we gifted stupid turnover after stupid turnover.

The midfield is losing all shape, and spending too much of it's time dabbing off soft passes in tight areas playing each other into trouble and blind allies. Getting their pockets picked.

Yes, we don’t have many options on the bench, but we've had Holmes on the bench for two games whilst we got overrun. It took until we had 8 minutes left to do anything to try to change the game.

This is a problem. It needs to be addressed. A change is required. And I don't just mean grudgingly putting Puscas back in.

We have good players. But the balance is wrong and the performances have been drifting again for more than the last couple of games. The combinations aren't working. And with so many on loans or one year deals, we're in danger of the likes of Dann and Drinkwater to just give up trying because it won't matter to them come June if we finish 10th of 22nd

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Oct 2021 11:55

Agree with the above post.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Oct 2021 12:59

Jackson Corner Why he has to insist on playing out from the back when teams are just pressing and taking the ball of us for fun. Why not just hoof it upfield and get your forwards chasing and harassing the defenders at least it gets the ball away from your own goal.

That was the approach Bowen adopted.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Oct 2021 13:30

Because of the misguided belief that if teams press high it leaves gaps further up the pitch, but that only works if you have a fast passing slick side not slow and cumbersome like ours.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Oct 2021 13:30

Snowflake Royal I'm seeing previous problems and failures repeat. Which is concerning.

Last season we started out with a strong defensive shape, then got increasingly open and cavalier as the season went on until we just kept conceding silly goals.

We started that way this season, then tightened up and are now cocky again.

Last season Rino and Laurent started by sitting and spoiling primarily. Then they got more expansive and adventurous. This season started adventurous, then Drinkwater came in and sat. Now he's playing all over the place and trying to create and take people on.

To me, this seems a failure in management. Either in getting the players to stick to the plan, or in encouraging them into a different and consistently failing plan.

I'm also concerned by the continued failure to address issues in the games. In both the last two we came under increasing pressure before collapsing, but no action was taken to address that. In both games the opposition started running through us at will as we gifted stupid turnover after stupid turnover.

The midfield is losing all shape, and spending too much of it's time dabbing off soft passes in tight areas playing each other into trouble and blind allies. Getting their pockets picked.

Yes, we don’t have many options on the bench, but we've had Holmes on the bench for two games whilst we got overrun. It took until we had 8 minutes left to do anything to try to change the game.

This is a problem. It needs to be addressed. A change is required. And I don't just mean grudgingly putting Puscas back in.

We have good players. But the balance is wrong and the performances have been drifting again for more than the last couple of games. The combinations aren't working. And with so many on loans or one year deals, we're in danger of the likes of Dann and Drinkwater to just give up trying because it won't matter to them come June if we finish 10th of 22nd

Agree with most of that

Has echoes of Stam’s tactics. Found a winning formula which was rigid to an extent but successful. Tried to adopt a more fluid approach but hasn’t improved the performance of the team. Too much complication in a division that doesn’t need it. Best teams have a system where every player knows their role and sticks to it - not one where players are just wandering around the pitch in random positions (Swift, Ejaria, DB, Laurent etc)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Oct 2021 13:31

Stranded No need to get too upset about a couple of defeats and no need to get ahead of ourselves on good runs.

Exactly this.

Two defeats and we're talking about changing things when we've been good since the new signings not going to win every game. All I ask for is more of a game plan around our only fit striker, no big changes. But even that's not necessary.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Oct 2021 15:26

Think we have to be realistic with where we are. Of course games like yesterday and Blackpool will help fuel those who think Pauno isnt up to it - no real problem with that. He does seem to have his limitations certainly

But then these are exceptionally trying circumstances. Expecting us to be top 6 is pie in the sky really, and expecting anything other than erratic performances probably likewise.

We have 13 fit senior players, 2 of which are keepers. I suspect its debatable whether some of those are fully fit either - likes of Moore and Holmes quite potentially still carrying theirs.

We have no realistic options to change things up, not in game or at the start of the match. If a player is having a shocker, or gets a knock in the game, they just play 90 mins anyway. The more they play, the more fatigued they'll get.

No doubts this is impacting training as well - not too sure how good training can be when they are desperate not to pick up any more injuries, and also only have 11 decent level outfield players to train with. Not like we can do particularly good 11 vs 11 match ups without having to involve a bunch of 17 years olds with zero experience.

Pauno has a got a very rough deal atm. We've binned off all the borderline U23 lot like East and Watson, and are relying on players like Drinkwater, TDB, Rahman who have barely played for 2 years if at all with TDB. It was a risk with DD and Rahman coming in - maybe we took the wrong risk - but I guess they are performing exactly as expected - some weeks looking a class above, other weeks tired and off the pace

Its a tough league. With the points deduction hanging over us as well mid table would be a pretty bloody good result. Honestly don't see changing the manager, or any of the other changes (start hoofing it forward lolz) suggested will make a great deal of difference. We simply need the players back fit.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 24 Oct 2021 17:23

I thought Blackburn looked decent enough and eventually were good value for their win. Really liked the look of the young lad Tyrhys Dolan. Really well taken second goal that killed us off yesterday and looked a threat all game, willing to take people on.

At half time I was (maybe naively!) confident that we would go on and get the win in the second half, despite Gallagher hitting the post when he really should’ve scored in the first half, but we had controlled the game pretty well for the away side but the problem being a lack of cutting edge. I’m really not sure why in the second half we didn’t attempt more shots on goal, we seemed to want to try and walk it in to the net.

I think we missed a bit of pace from Azeez up top, that could’ve made the difference, but beaten by the better team on the day in the end, no complaints.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Oct 2021 17:35

Millsy
Stranded No need to get too upset about a couple of defeats and no need to get ahead of ourselves on good runs.

Exactly this.

Two defeats and we're talking about changing things when we've been good since the new signings not going to win every game. All I ask for is more of a game plan around our only fit striker, no big changes. But even that's not necessary.

Puscas needs someone to play off. Never going to work playing him as the sole striker.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Oct 2021 08:19

Lower West
Millsy

Exactly this.

Puscas needs someone to play off. Never going to work playing him as the sole striker.

Here I fundamentally disagree - the way we play with Puscas up top on his own doesn't work but with the intricate play we are capable of, we should be able to work decent positions where we can release him or get quick balls into the box. The issue at the moment is we aren't doing enough of the first and taking too long to get balls into the box, or making poor decisions when Puscas is better placed.

Lost count of the amount of times we have 6 or 7 players around the box trying to thread it through, which means there is zero space for a striker to find as we take too long allowing their defence to set.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Oct 2021 09:59

I don't think it's a coincidence that we have now fallen apart two second halves in a row, lack of squad options is taking it's toll on us, so I'm actually expecting a better performance against Bournemouth since we'll have had a full week of recovery.

But then it's Bournemouth so with the way they've started the season it could still be messy even if we play well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2021 12:08

tidus_mi2 I don't think it's a coincidence that we have now fallen apart two second halves in a row, lack of squad options is taking it's toll on us, so I'm actually expecting a better performance against Bournemouth since we'll have had a full week of recovery.

But then it's Bournemouth so with the way they've started the season it could still be messy even if we play well.

What I don’t understand is that if he's willing to put Holmes, Moore or McIntyre into midfield to defend a lead (pretty sure he has done for all three). Why didn’t he do it in mid week and why won't he do it to sure things up when we're behind to give us a base to build from.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Oct 2021 20:31

Stranded
Lower West
Millsy
Exactly this.

Here I fundamentally disagree - the way we play with Puscas up top on his own doesn't work but with the intricate play we are capable of, we should be able to work decent positions where we can release him or get quick balls into the box. The issue at the moment is we aren't doing enough of the first and taking too long to get balls into the box, or making poor decisions when Puscas is better placed.

Lost count of the amount of times we have 6 or 7 players around the box trying to thread it through, which means there is zero space for a striker to find as we take too long allowing their defence to set.

Totally agree with you. When I say Puscas needs to be used better I don't mean 442 (unless chasing a game last 15mins) I mean use him better!

I know Gooding keeps saying Puscas needs someone to play off and of course he's a good chap, ex pro and ex manager so I will always respect the man.

However I never get why he says that. Yes he's no João but that doesn't mean he needs to or can play with someone else. Forster was no João but he couldn't play up front with anyone. Far too single minded and ballgreedy. João isn't the only way of playing one up front! Pauno's biggest error has been placing Pauno in a João shaped hole.

When Puscas scored those 2 sublime goals against Cardiff when we thought we had a world class striker on our hands he did so singlehandedly. I remember (and must've commented here) that he reminded me VERY much of Forster.

He's scored similar goals since then flicking or running past the last defender and charging at goal. His last assist was down to sheer individual brilliance. His last missed chance one on one was the same.

Yes he can play others in, unlike Forster, so he's not as ball greedy, but I haven't seen evidence that he needs or even likes a big chap to knock it down for him. He prefers to make stuff out of nothing and have balls down the channels and past the defenders to chase.

This is so obvious to most people apart from Pauno. Well ... It was clear to him for two games until he decided to drop him.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 26 Oct 2021 11:08

Millsy
Totally agree with you. When I say Puscas needs to be used better I don't mean 442 (unless chasing a game last 15mins) I mean use him better!

I know Gooding keeps saying Puscas needs someone to play off and of course he's a good chap, ex pro and ex manager so I will always respect the man.

However I never get why he says that. Yes he's no João but that doesn't mean he needs to or can play with someone else. Forster was no João but he couldn't play up front with anyone. Far too single minded and ballgreedy. João isn't the only way of playing one up front! Pauno's biggest error has been placing Pauno in a João shaped hole.

When Puscas scored those 2 sublime goals against Cardiff when we thought we had a world class striker on our hands he did so singlehandedly. I remember (and must've commented here) that he reminded me VERY much of Forster.

He's scored similar goals since then flicking or running past the last defender and charging at goal. His last assist was down to sheer individual brilliance. His last missed chance one on one was the same.

Yes he can play others in, unlike Forster, so he's not as ball greedy, but I haven't seen evidence that he needs or even likes a big chap to knock it down for him. He prefers to make stuff out of nothing and have balls down the channels and past the defenders to chase.

This is so obvious to most people apart from Pauno. Well ... It was clear to him for two games until he decided to drop him.

Yup, people forget that the lone striker role is not as complicated as we are making it to be. Every player doesn't need a touch of the ball on every move. The movement alone of our midfield is more than good enough for Puscas to thrive. Give him a few chances a game to do his thing - not 1 chance in 4 games and then slate him after he misses.

Puscas is not Joao so stop playing a system as if he is still there. And realistically Joao was awful in the last few months of last season so we cant keep clinging on to when it worked.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Oct 2021 12:36

Millsy
Stranded
Lower West

He's not quick enough to run in behind. Seen him try loads and he usually loses the race. His first touch also isn't good enough.

Saying that, we can certainly use him better.