MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a)

413 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Nov 2021 17:47

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal Two up front for me. I know we don't have many options, but Puscas and Clarke should both start.

We need a different set up and two up front would take Millwall by suprise.

What would you do in midfield to accommodate it?

I'm with Wycombe Royal here, we are so predictable its beyond a joke!! We don't have the players at this time to play this formation to its strenghts.
Its 5-3-2 for me, three at the back with Holmes making up the three. Drop Ejaria or Drinkwater and put TDB back into his natural CM position, and finally give Puscas the partner he has been crying out for (Clarke).

i would probably play Swift and TDB as CM's and push Ejaria forward a bit to sit centrally just behind the two forwards. Ejaria just doesn't cut it for me our on the left, however, sitting behind the two forwards where he has license to roam should cause some headaches for the Millwall backline and they really wouldn't be expecting this.

Don't get me wrong, that was a genuine question because there are multiple ways to do it, and it's easy to just say add a striker without having to solve the who makes way problem..

I'm not against the idea. I'd personally probably take a different approach, but it’s certainly valid, with the right thought and attention behind it beyond just 'Two upfront bruv'. And Wycombe is certainly smart enough to have put good thought into how to go about it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Nov 2021 17:51

Crowbar6753
Hound
Crowbar6753
Hi Hound, i guess its a bold move, but if you look back over the last 3/4 games the majority of us keep bringing up the same names as under performers!! Ejaria, Laurent and Drinkwater.
TDB is much better suited in the middle and i think a much better player than Laurent. Swift can sit and control the game, much like Drinkwater, and as mentioned, i really think Ejaria would thrive as a central attacking midfielder.

It also sends a message to the dropped players that they need to be on their game or they'll get replaced., and changing to this system would allow us to send that message. Brave, yes, but you never know, it might just work!!

Wouldn't discount it - I just dont think Clarke will be up to this one, certainly not starting.

With you that Ejaria, DD and Laurent are prob the ones who I'd like to drop. Though Laurent was impressive at CB hence why I'd consider moving him back there

I agree with you regarding Laurent at CB, and as per my reasoning with dropping certain midfielders to send a message, this would also be the case with the CB's!!

The other advantage with this system, it free's up either a defender or midfielder to rest players from burnout and also gives us a slightly stronger bench to call upon.

For me, having two up top with Ejaria sitting behind should give us a great threat up top, thus making the opposition leave more players back to defend the threat. With Puscas up top on his tod and Halilovic being injured we litterally have no attacking threat, meaning if the opposition score we're pretty much done for, apart from the odd Swift screamer!!

I like it. Shows more initiative than the manager, and rinse-repeat certainly isn’t working.

Added benefit of oxf*rd up the oppos scouting and planning too.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Nov 2021 18:10

Pauno has Covid apparently. No one else has. One wonders.........

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Nov 2021 18:12

Without Pauno in the dugout reckon we have a chance here.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Nov 2021 18:18

Hound
Crowbar6753
Hound
You'd drop Drinkwater and Laurent for Clarke and Holmes? Brave move...

Think as mentioned before I'd be strongly tempted to move Laurent back to CB. Holmes to RB and Yiadom further forward maybe, dropping Drinkwater. Would change the shape a little, add some height.

Hi Hound, i guess its a bold move, but if you look back over the last 3/4 games the majority of us keep bringing up the same names as under performers!! Ejaria, Laurent and Drinkwater.
TDB is much better suited in the middle and i think a much better player than Laurent. Swift can sit and control the game, much like Drinkwater, and as mentioned, i really think Ejaria would thrive as a central attacking midfielder.

It also sends a message to the dropped players that they need to be on their game or they'll get replaced., and changing to this system would allow us to send that message. Brave, yes, but you never know, it might just work!!

Wouldn't discount it - I just dont think Clarke will be up to this one, certainly not starting.

With you that Ejaria, DD and Laurent are prob the ones who I'd like to drop. Though Laurent was impressive at CB hence why I'd consider moving him back there

Probably add DB to the list though - so the entire midfield aside from Swift basically. Obviously isn’t feasible to drop them all but feel collectively, it’s just a little lightweight, and certainly in the case of Swift, Ejaria and DB, too similar

Although may be doing him a disservice here given that he’s being used as one of the wider players. Don’t see much room for him in the squad with everyone fit (if that ever happens) but I guess time will tell

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Nov 2021 18:46

Yiadom presumably injured and Holmes is in.

Last edited by Sutekh on 02 Nov 2021 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Nov 2021 18:47

Sutekh

Christ.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Nov 2021 18:48

As if things weren't bad enough, Yiadom and Drinkwater added to the injury list, we can't even put out a oxf*rd first team now.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Nov 2021 18:49

So Yiadom and Drinkwater now injured making 12 out of 23 out. No one back. Absolute joke.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Nov 2021 18:49

Pepe the Horseman
Sutekh

Christ.

Plenty of options on the bench. Honestly, VP didn’t name any subs at the start of the season due to a lack of available options but now he names them but doesn’t use them as he doesn’t see them as options.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Nov 2021 18:50

tidus_mi2 As if things weren't bad enough, Yiadom and Drinkwater added to the injury list, we can't even put out a oxf*rd first team now.

Drinkwater most likely needs a rest. Two games a week is too much.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 02 Nov 2021 18:51

Pepe the Horseman
Sutekh

Christ.

I mentioned i'd like to change it up to bambozzle the opposition, however, this wasn't quite what i had in mind :shock: :shock:
I really have no clue how this is going to work :oops:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Nov 2021 18:51

Well the only remaining question is in which minute will Puscas be replaced by Clarke? I’m going for the 85th again just like Saturday.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Nov 2021 18:53

Lower West
tidus_mi2 As if things weren't bad enough, Yiadom and Drinkwater added to the injury list, we can't even put out a oxf*rd first team now.

Drinkwater most likely needs a rest. Two games a week is too much.

Are they injured / being rested, or are they not double-jabbed, and therefore have to sit it out as contacts of Pauno?

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 02 Nov 2021 18:54

This might be a 5-3-2 with Dann, Moore & Ashcroft as CB's and Holmes and Rahman as WB's. TDB, Laurent and Swift in CM and really thing he's going with Puscas and Ejaria up top!!

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 02 Nov 2021 18:56

Right then…how much should be put on a home win tonight then?!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Nov 2021 18:57

Crowbar6753
Pepe the Horseman
Sutekh

Christ.

I mentioned i'd like to change it up to bambozzle the opposition, however, this wasn't quite what i had in mind :shock: :shock:
I really have no clue how this is going to work :oops:

Just perhaps VP is actually trying out 3/5 at the back. Ashcroft is a defender from the u18 squad so presume it’s 5 at the back when not in possession. Anyone seen Ashcroft who can comment on him?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Nov 2021 18:58

Wasn’t going to bother with the red button, but might now just for the :lol: if nothing else.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 02 Nov 2021 19:01

Zip So Yiadom and Drinkwater now injured making 12 out of 23 out. No one back. Absolute joke.

Totally agree. Beyond a joke Never known anything like it in all my years following this lot.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 02 Nov 2021 19:02

Sutekh Wasn’t going to bother with the red button, but might now just for the :lol: if nothing else.

Well, Millwall will be royally scratching their heads on this one lol. Eagerly awaiting this one from across the pond (Canada) on Royals TV :D

413 posts