Excitement v boredom.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Excitement v boredom.

by Millsy » 27 Nov 2021 17:11

HNA, bunch of sheep as usual.

I observe excitement most games. Table doesn't lie, lowest number of draws in the division all season. But no, the draws are "a coincidence" and my feeling was just wrong.

What an utterly boring game today.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Nov 2021 17:22

Just keep this post going all season Millsy to make us all happy if it works again and again. :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Nov 2021 18:33

Millsy HNA, bunch of sheep as usual.

I observe excitement most games. Table doesn't lie, lowest number of draws in the division all season. But no, the draws are "a coincidence" and my feeling was just wrong.

Low draws doesn’t mean exciting games.

Today being good doesn't make most of the last 19 not poor and dull.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Nov 2021 18:42

Snowflake Royal

Maybe not, but being 8th top scorers and 3rd worst defence does point towards more exciting games.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 27 Nov 2021 23:22

Much of our judgement is subject to comparison and what are we comparing with.

Is Pauno’s football more or less boring or more or less exciting than his predecessors? It’s interesting; I remember watching us beat Huddersfield 1-0 at home early in our play off final season under Stan and although it was clear how different we had become and how we were definitely just keeping the ball from the opposition just for the sake of it; our opponents would chase, lose shape and we had quality players to make the most of the resulting opportunities. Beerens was quality, as was the young Swift, Danny Williams, Kermogent and Joey; the latter was seriously entertaining at times; brutality and skill (but no pace sadly).

Anyway; if we compare ourselves with current league opposition, I would rather be watching us every week than;

Cardiff, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield, Millwall, Barnsley, West Brom, Stoke, Sheff United, Preston, Peterborough and many others in our division that play horrible percentage based, direct, picking up the second balls, stop-start, set piece football; with niggly fouls, stopping opponents from playing and laying down ‘injured’ to waste time at various points during the game.

We are top of the fair play league too.

We could be better of course but with so many injuries and youngsters and players playing out of position; I think Pauno has us playing good football most of the time.

But Sheff United at home was dire.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Nov 2021 10:22

Snowflake Royal

Draws make a team boring? Thats a bizarre statement to make

Losing 1-0 at home whilst barely mustering a shot on goal is boring.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 28 Nov 2021 10:46

We are OK. Apart from the Sheffield Utd and Blackpool games we have been competitive and I have enjoyed watching us. I came out of the Birmingham game thinking we had played well to take control and equalise and felt thoroughly entertained by the Barnsley win.

I like it when we have possession and enjoy the intricate passing and close control. It is a very new thing at Reading (maybe in English football generally) to have players with such a good first touch. Ejaria is a very good player to watch and we are lucky to have him.

We don't win every game, but we are in a good league - the Championship is the biggest league in the world without VAR - you can't get better.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Nov 2021 12:01

If I were to choose words to describe us over this season so far they'd probably be frustrating, disorganised and disappointing. Exciting really wouldn't feature.

Hopefully the current mini run of WDLW is more of a sign of things to come result wise at least. Than either of the two substantial losing streaks we've had.

As always we have the potential within the squad to do well, if we could just find a way of building into into a functional XI.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Dec 2021 21:03

A rare draw (thanks ref).

But yet another thoroughly boring game.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 05 Dec 2021 08:11

It was not boring at all; but it was certainly frustrating!