BFTG Swanse(a)

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Swanse(a)

by Horsham Royal » 29 Nov 2021 17:15

Agree Holmes wasn't great but he was (loosely) marking Piroe.
It was Drinkwater that let the goalscorer run.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Nov 2021 17:37

Horsham Royal Agree Holmes wasn't great but he was (loosely) marking Piroe.

Ok fair enough... so this seems like defence coaching 101 surely?

Holmes is on Piroe... so if Piroe tracks all the way back into deep midfield Holmes is to stay with him and get dragged into midfield and leave a gaping hole in defence? Teams must love playing us! Noone training anyone to stay with a man but not at the expense of pulling you completely out of position?

Just seems all very schoolboy footy to me.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2021 18:04

Millsy
Horsham Royal Agree Holmes wasn't great but he was (loosely) marking Piroe.

Ok fair enough... so this seems like defence coaching 101 surely?

Holmes is on Piroe... so if Piroe tracks all the way back into deep midfield Holmes is to stay with him and get dragged into midfield and leave a gaping hole in defence? Teams must love playing us! Noone training anyone to stay with a man but not at the expense of pulling you completely out of position?

Just seems all very schoolboy footy to me.

It's about shape and handovers. No you don't just stick with a player and follow him everywhere. Nor do you just hold your precise position.

The centre backs did the right thing, and for a start Holmes wasn't anywhere near midfield. They moved to cover the immediate danger. The problem was in Laurent and Yiadom in not doing the same, and most importantly Drinkwater not tracking Paterson who ran straight past him.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Nov 2021 18:22

Actually yeah watched another replay and it was an odd one. He's kinda high up the pitch but not really in midfeld, more like a sort of slightly high backline almost like trying to play the offside trap but then you have Yiadom keeping everyone onside by being about 400- metres further back than everyone else.

Makes Holmes look ridiculous for staying so high and not being there, or Yiadom look ridiculous for playing a completely different line to everyone else, or Drinkwater shite for not tracking back....

Urgh, this is why I hate defence and prefer attacking. Second worst game of my life was at RB. First worst was at CDM. Never again.

I'm sure a pro defence coach would know how to sort this though, perhaps Reading should look into getting one.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 30 Nov 2021 06:57

Having seen the replay of the first goal, seems like a classic case of widespread ball-watching and not talking.

Drinkwater should've tracked the runner, but I think the line was too high.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Nov 2021 13:17

Millsy Actually yeah watched another replay and it was an odd one. He's kinda high up the pitch but not really in midfeld, more like a sort of slightly high backline almost like trying to play the offside trap but then you have Yiadom keeping everyone onside by being about 400- metres further back than everyone else.

Makes Holmes look ridiculous for staying so high and not being there, or Yiadom look ridiculous for playing a completely different line to everyone else, or Drinkwater shite for not tracking back....

Urgh, this is why I hate defence and prefer attacking. Second worst game of my life was at RB. First worst was at CDM. Never again.

I'm sure a pro defence coach would know how to sort this though, perhaps Reading should look into getting one.

I'm pretty good in defence. Love a tackle, holding someone up and an interception.

For the level I play at obvs.

Less keen on tracking back. That's a bit frustrating.