BFTG Swanse(a)

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG Swanse(a)

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 Nov 2021 18:00

What a great away performance. Carroll was instrumental in the equaliser, and a fantastic touch for his goal.

Southwood had a great game. Yiadom should've cleared their first goal, but other than that the defence did great.

Lovely to see Halilovic back and his back-heel nutmeg was gorgeous.

Swift, Drinkwater and Laurent all had good games.

And well done Paunovic for the changes. As much as he was to blame for the Sheff Utd defeat, he equally needs credit for today.

Well done guys x

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Swanse(a)

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Nov 2021 18:32

Totally different performance to Tuesday. Still defending wide open far too much, but today we ran at Swansea and played with a high pace and tempo when going forward.

Few people getting a bit over excited, I doubt Carroll is going to score many goals from a ball over the top to breakaway. Swansea played a very high line, which we are not going to come across often and we took advantage well.

It was an excellent performance going forward, and Southwood had an excellent game, saving our blushes a few times.

Work to be done still, and need to carry it forward into games where we won't be as able to break on the opposition as easily.

Form is improving. Halilovic is so key.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 27 Nov 2021 18:40

Great game and a great win!! Moore and Ejaria haven't played well this season and both weren't missed at all. TDB played great on the left and showed what we've been missing, pace!! and despite the early error in defense they largely played well.

Carroll played well and gave us a target, and took his goal well and for me Southwood was immense.

Today proved we could easily lose Ejaria, Moore and Rafael and raise some cash and get a big slice off our wage bill.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 27 Nov 2021 19:35

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Nov 2021 19:51

Good performance, good support from us, it was really cold. Should be super happy but just got in to see the news and am now deflated af.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 Nov 2021 20:09

CountryRoyal Good performance, good support from us, it was really cold. Should be super happy but just got in to see the news and am now deflated af.

What news?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 Nov 2021 20:11

Pepe the Horseman
CountryRoyal Good performance, good support from us, it was really cold. Should be super happy but just got in to see the news and am now deflated af.

What news?

We’re still 21st

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Nov 2021 20:52

Pepe the Horseman What a great away performance. Carroll was instrumental in the equaliser, and a fantastic touch for his goal.

Southwood had a great game. Yiadom should've cleared their first goal, but other than that the defence did great.

And well done Paunovic for the changes. As much as he was to blame for the Sheff Utd defeat, he equally needs credit for today.

Well done guys x

Not sure about that, I would say that the changes were forced on him, if Moore and Ejaria had been fit it’s probable they would have both played.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 Nov 2021 21:02

Sutekh
Pepe the Horseman What a great away performance. Carroll was instrumental in the equaliser, and a fantastic touch for his goal.

Well done guys x

Not sure about that, I would say that the changes were forced on him, if Moore and Ejaria had been fit it’s probable they would have both played.

Assumed it was a tactical decision, didn't know they were injured.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Nov 2021 21:08

I hate the Liberty Stadium and the journey. It’s not egregiously bad but the only good thing about it is the chippy over the road, which is better than anything I can find in London.

Love our spirit to twice score after conceding. Carroll looks a lot like the Wayne Bridge/Anton Ferdinand types who drop to this level in their early 30s after spending their careers near the top, just has a touch of class about him that would be easy to overlook given his reputation as a bruiser.

Remember when Akpan first joined us and he looked like he had reasonable technique, good mobility, and a tendency to make progressive passes even if he was no Danny Guthrie? Then we tried to play him as a defensive midfielder and he was awful? Well, TDB is the player we thought Akpan was going to be, just has this great knack for making things happen, he’s audacious but not in a showy way, very direct, chalk and cheese with Ejaria.

Holmes is in much better form than Moore and must continue to start at least until McIntyre is available, or until his own form drops. Don’t think he looks as good as Moore at his best, not getting carried away, but we need to select on current form rather than reputation.

Found out this week that Halilovic was once heralded as the Croatian Messi. Obviously there’s a huge talent gap, Halilovic isn’t even half as good at this level as Messi is at the highest level, but stylistically there’s an uncanny similarity, the way they run, their height, that scooped pass to the far post Halilovic plays.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 27 Nov 2021 22:01

Crowbar6753 Great game and a great win!! Moore and Ejaria haven't played well this season and both weren't missed at all. TDB played great on the left and showed what we've been missing, pace!! and despite the early error in defense they largely played well.

Carroll played well and gave us a target, and took his goal well and for me Southwood was immense.

Today proved we could easily lose Ejaria, Moore and Rafael and raise some cash and get a big slice off our wage bill.

Agree about Ejaria and Moore, they just seem to think they are far toooooo good to be struggling in the EFL. Time to cash in.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Nov 2021 02:00

Pepe the Horseman

What news?

Just the shit-the-bed, knee-jerk, reactionary bull crap about the new covid variant and restrictions. Won’t go into it on here, I guess that’s for AE, but it took a huge shit on what was otherwise a really good day!

It was overall a much improved performance than we’ve seen recently, for a team where we are, how we’ve been playing, the results and performances we’ve had… I think that’s about the best we can hope for at the moment. Was it an amazing performance? No. Were there lots of things we could improve? Absolutely. On another day could the result have been different? Definitely.

Swansea we’re always going to have more of the ball so I think our game plan was definitely the right one, at times I thought we were wasteful in getting it forward, but it obviously worked as we got in on several occasions (difficult to see from in the ground but I’m not convinced as many were offside as they were flagged for).

TDB looked as good as he has done in that advanced role (on the left this time), literally polar opposite to Ejaria, Carroll brings that quality that we’ve lacked and I thought Rahman had his best game for us. I was anxious about him constantly playing his man onside but he was obviously weary about his pace and by and large dealt with him all afternoon.

I’d love to see some replays of those goal mouth scrambles, how much Southwood got to them - but regardless made some really smart saves, and was brave. Some people think some players are scapegoats, and others get away with certain things - Southwood being one of the latter. If I was to highlight something I don’t think he’s strong at is one on ones. When Moore sold him short at Birmingham, my first thought was Southwood’s made it easier for their lad. We got lucky against Forest and the same again today. His positioning and timing one on ones is not great, he needs to fully commit, or stay on his line for longer - at this level I would say the latter is probably better. No where near as clinical. In the end he ends up being in no mans land and it’s really easy to just knock it past him and have an open goal to aim at. I’m not saying this is a massive issue, on balance I still think he’s quality and much more trustworthy than Raphael, but it is something I’ve noticed. Not a oxf*rd clue what Yiadom was doing for the goal. I know he was off balance but I just feel he should be doing better.

Their second goal had a massive bit of luck about it. Yes we could have done better with the clearance, but come on. He’s hardly a goal scoring machine and week foot first time volley? You can’t legislate for that. That being said, on the balance of play no less than they deserve. Thought overall defences were naff on the whole - represented by the scoreline and an entertaining game. I felt last 20 minutes it died a bit but picked up just before the end.

Overall good day and a really rare win against Swansea, first away league win there for 20 years or something?

Oh and we’ve got a Big oxf*rd Geordie.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Nov 2021 14:45

Watching the highlights and seeing how the first goal happened.

Paterson jogs past a walking Drinkwater who sees him, points to him and ignores him. Meanwhile Yiadom is covering the left back out wde, while Holmes is sucked across towards the ball, and Halilovoc is up the pitch trotting back.

Drinkwater has to go with Paterson. Good job he got the winner

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Nov 2021 14:49

I watched the 15 minute extended highlights on sky this morning, I`m sure we tested Hamer more than just the 3 goals but you wouldn`t think it, obv showed all the goals and a few of the saves and scrambles in our box.
But doesn`t surprise me tbh.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Nov 2021 15:05

windermereROYAL I watched the 15 minute extended highlights on sky this morning, I`m sure we tested Hamer more than just the 3 goals but you wouldn`t think it, obv showed all the goals and a few of the saves and scrambles in our box.
But doesn`t surprise me tbh.

Saved well from a good Swift free kick, and another good save where he scrambled down to his right.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 28 Nov 2021 17:57

Just a heads up for anyone who went to Swansea on the train yesterday- compensation is paid(by GWR in my case) if trains are 15 mins or more delayed- my train in the morning at 10.13 from Reading and the return at 18.22 both meet the refund criteria and i have today claimed.(12.5% of the return fare for each leg)

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 28 Nov 2021 20:15

I only watched the 15 minute Sky highlights, but where the hell were the 2 CBS for the first goal , that area of the pitch that the ball is played into is their responsibility , neither of them where they should be. The second goal was a terrible defensive header .
Very good result .

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Nov 2021 20:32

Once upon a time . I only watched the 15 minute Sky highlights, but where the hell were the 2 CBS for the first goal , that area of the pitch that the ball is played into is their responsibility , neither of them where they should be. The second goal was a terrible defensive header .
Very good result .

Rahman goes forward to engage his man pulling him out the defensive line. TDB is too far off his man so there's an easy pass. Rahman is played around because Laurent doesn't go and hunt with him, he stays back screening the CBs too deep. Dann is sucked into covering the beaten RB, and Holmes is sucked in to cover the striker.

Meanwhile, Yiadom is staying wide covering the LB Halilovic isn't near. Which creates a huge hole where the RCB usually is.

Drinkwater literally just watches Paterson run past him into a gaping hole.

I'd say the two CBs are the least at fault in this case.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 29 Nov 2021 08:48, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Nov 2021 20:41

Snowflake Royal
..............................................Southwood

.....Yiadom.....................................----->.Holmes.Piroe.------->Dann..............v
Swan..................................................................----->Laurent..........................v
...................................Paterson...................................................................Rahman
.........................................^........Drinkwater.................................Swan.....................Swan
.....Halilovic......................^.............................................................................TDB
......................................................................................................................................Swan

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Nov 2021 20:46

genome
Snowflake Royal
..............................................Southwood

.....Yiadom.....................................----->.Holmes.Piroe.------->Dann..............v
Swan..................................................................----->Laurent..........................v
...................................Paterson...................................................................Rahman
.........................................^........Drinkwater.................................Swan.....................Swan
.....Halilovic......................^.............................................................................TDB
......................................................................................................................................Swan

Take your pick from the next of his victims…