150 years in pictures

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: 150 years in pictures

by Sutekh » 03 Dec 2021 12:45

SWLR The picture of the pitch being laid reminds me of the time our groundsman put down weedkiller rather than feed pre-season, trying to recall when that was.. 1980's? Was it Neat?

Yes, that was the problem

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Dec 2021 19:30

If only these great pics and memories could be remembered with the EP music (and on) of its time too.

Maybe the big party day in May they should play Mouldy Ol dough, Earles a Winger, Sing for the Royyaallss la la la la la , Lux Aerterna, Embraces Ashes, etc on the tannoy pre-match?....I’d draw the line at ‘Let Me Entertain You’ but any others?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 03 Dec 2021 19:34

AthleticoSpizz If only these great pics and memories could be remembered with the EP music (and on) of its time too.

Maybe the big party day in May they should play Mouldy Ol dough, Earles a Winger, Sing for the Royyaallss la la la la la , Lux Aerterna, Embraces Ashes, etc on the tannoy pre-match?....I’d draw the line at ‘Let Me Entertain You’ but any others?

Anything but Sweet Caroline.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Dec 2021 19:37

Yeah, Terry & June over and above that !

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 04 Dec 2021 11:51

AthleticoSpizz If only these great pics and memories could be remembered with the EP music (and on) of its time too.

Holiday - bow, bow ber bow bow ber etc - if that doesn't ring a bell- youtube.com/watch?v=6f5xa6f16X4

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Dec 2021 17:18

Crikey Foxo...that”s a new one on me.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Dec 2021 07:39

Fox Talbot

Holiday - bow, bow ber bow bow ber etc - if that doesn't ring a bell- youtube.com/watch?v=6f5xa6f16X4

Was that used by the club in the 60s or 70s? I’ve only vaguely heard of it as Noel Edmonds used it as a theme to his Radio 1 show at some point in the 70s.

Out of interest when did the club start using a tannoy at EP to play music? Actually quite miss the old tinny vibration of something with just the one sound level of “loud distortion”.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 05 Dec 2021 08:22

AthleticoSpizz Crikey Foxo...that”s a new one on me.

I’d say it was 1972 onwards. Associate it with Mouldy Od Dough and Band of Gold Freda Payne. Conjures up the sound of Division Four for me.

Think the records rather than marching bands started about 1965.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Dec 2021 09:30

1972 is pretty much where I opted-in for a life of ups, downs and play-off disappointments......still no recollection of that tune....I was probably too busy digging out the congealed Bovril at the bottom of its cup....that, or winding-up the Evening Post seller

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Dec 2021 13:40

I started going in early 1971 and Holiday was being played then when the team came out. The single was a double A side, I've just listened to the flip side "The Kid" on you tube and can now remember that being played at the end of the game.

The Cube

by The Cube » 05 Dec 2021 18:25

Fox Talbot Holiday - bow, bow ber bow bow ber etc - if that doesn't ring a bell- youtube.com/watch?v=6f5xa6f16X4

Thank you, Fox Talbot - I knew I'd heard something that wasn't Mouldy Old Dough, but I couldn't remember enough of it to try to find out what it was. My first game 50 years ago, so I reckon Holiday must have been played for 1971/72 and at least part of the following season.

Here's The Kid - don't remember that at all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9oMv5mXZCA

Mouldy Old Dough came out early 1972, but wasn't successful until the end of the year, and I can't believe the club picked up on it before it was in the UK charts.

Of course, all three tracks have the common factor of being appallingly bad and no-one in their right minds would want to listen to them twice, let alone over and over again.

Out of interest when did the club start using a tannoy at EP to play music?

As per Alan Sedunary A to Z - permanent tannoy installed by the Supporters Club and first used on 5 October 1946. Some temporary use before then.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Dec 2021 19:14

The Cube Of course, all three tracks have the common factor of being appallingly bad and no-one in their right minds would want to listen to them twice, let alone over again
...which seems very appropriately RFC

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 05 Dec 2021 19:23

South Coast Royal

Anything but Sweet Caroline.

Back in the late 60s/early70s they used to play Congratulations by Cliff Richard after every Reading home win.

hobbitx007

by hobbitx007 » 06 Dec 2021 02:04

Fox Talbot

I thought the song in the 60/70's was called Telstar. I recall going into the tannoy guy after the match one time to ask about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryrEPzsx1gQ

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Dec 2021 18:02

Not pics but a great article from the new guy at the chronicle with interviews with 15 former players on what made RF special...including a few interesting ones like Keith Knight who'd I'd forgotten about.

Nice to have a bit of positivity in the local media for once, all I've seen in Get Reading in the last week is relegation and quotes from Peterboro

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 24 Dec 2021 20:16

League Cup v Chelsea in 1988. Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley was playing at half time as Chelsea fans had managed to break into the sterile zone nearest the South Bank and were coming over the fence inducing panic. I was 12 and that song always triggers a memory of running out of the exit onto Tilehurst Road with my dad, stopping, listening and trying to work out if it was safe to go back in. We could hear Astley's dulcet tones, but couldn't work out if any head-kicking was going on. So we decided to risk it.