Favourite ever players as a team.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Favourite ever players as a team.

by South Coast Royal » 29 Nov 2021 19:32

In the light of Brogue's excellent new topic at a time of year when nostalgia kicks in how about picking a team made up of our favourite players.
This topic is not for the young as the 2006 and subsequent years don't qualify as so many of the 2006 time would doubtless dominate.
It is not necessarily the best players but personal favourites.

My first 11 broadly made up of a 4-4-2 or could easily be a 4-3-3 is :-

Steve Death
Johnny Walker Steve Wood Darius Wdowczyk Colin Meldrum
Paul Canoville Simon Osborn Neil Webb Denis Allen
Kerry Dixon Trevor Senior

Then having felt some decisions were a bit harsh there came a second eleven:-

Shaka Hislop
Mick Gooding Adie Williams Martin Hicks Michael Gilkes
Richie Bowman Phil Parkinson Lawrie Sanchez Tommy Jenkins
Jamie Cureton Jimmy Quinn

To complete the 25 man squad as per the modern day I would add Kevin Bremner, Dean Horrix and Keith Curle.
There would be no need for a 3rd keeper as Adie, Quinny, Horrix and Senior could all, as they say, "do a job" as they have all done for our club.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Favourite ever players as a team.

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2021 19:50

I get trying to be alternative and leave out our legendary 2006 team, but how anybody can leave out Glen Little is beyond me. Pure entertainment and worth the entry fee alone, before you consider his starring role in our best ever.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Nov 2021 19:59

You’ve narrowed this down too much Vic by 1) naming a first and second team and 2) not allowing players from 2005/6.
Having said that one name stands out that you haven’t mentioned....Nicky Forster. I have not seen anyone play the lone striker as well as he did in 2002/3.

I would also add Steve Richardson who never let the side down and was a tigerish, gutsy player.
Lee Nogan also went through a cracking spell in 94/95 but couldn’t sustain it.

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 29 Nov 2021 20:10

Hard as before 2005 06 is a blur for me

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Nov 2021 22:48

South Coast Royal This topic is not for the young as the 2006 and subsequent years don't qualify as so many of the 2006 time would doubtless dominate.

Absolute nonsense. “Not for the young”. Ok Boomer.

I’ll contribute to the topic as I see fit, thank you.

Hahnemann

Murty
Sonko
Gorkss
Shorey

Little
Sidwell
Harper
McAnuff

Doyle
Kitson

Subs:

Federici
Ingimarsson
Harte
Karacan
Kebe
Le Fondre
Cureton

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Nov 2021 08:08

Southwood

Griffin
Bikey
Gorkks
Kerr

Little
Gunnarsson
Osborn
McAnuff

Cureton
Carroll

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Nov 2021 08:18

Hendo
South Coast Royal This topic is not for the young as the 2006 and subsequent years don't qualify as so many of the 2006 time would doubtless dominate.

Absolute nonsense. “Not for the young”. Ok Boomer.

I don't even feel that young anymore. There is an entire generation of fans who are almost the same age now as I was then.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 30 Nov 2021 09:52

South Coast Royal In the light of Brogue's excellent new topic at a time of year when nostalgia kicks in how about picking a team made up of our favourite players.
This topic is not for the young as the 2006 and subsequent years don't qualify as so many of the 2006 time would doubtless dominate.

My first 11 broadly made up of a 4-4-2 or could easily be a 4-3-3 is :-

Steve Death
Johnny Walker Steve Wood Darius Wdowczyk Colin Meldrum
Paul Canoville Simon Osborn Neil Webb Denis Allen
Kerry Dixon Trevor Senior

Then having felt some decisions were a bit harsh there came a second eleven:-

Shaka Hislop
Mick Gooding Adie Williams Martin Hicks Michael Gilkes
Richie Bowman Phil Parkinson Lawrie Sanchez Tommy Jenkins
Jamie Cureton Jimmy Quinn

To complete the 25 man squad as per the modern day I would add Kevin Bremner, Dean Horrix and Keith Curle.
There would be no need for a 3rd keeper as Adie, Quinny, Horrix and Senior could all, as they say, "do a job" as they have all done for our club.

Hi SCR. Quick question. The fact you have included Meldrum, Death, Jenkins etc shows you are "mature in age" :D Just wondered how Mr Friday didn't manage to get into your 25-man squad ?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Nov 2021 10:06

Zip You’ve narrowed this down too much Vic by 1) naming a first and second team and 2) not allowing players from 2005/6.
Having said that one name stands out that you haven’t mentioned....Nicky Forster. I have not seen anyone play the lone striker as well as he did in 2002/3.

I would also add Steve Richardson who never let the side down and was a tigerish, gutsy player.

Always think Steve was a forgotten man of great Reading sides - wracked up so many appearances. Often seen around Basingstoke but struggling with his knees by the looks of things.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Nov 2021 10:14

paultheroyal
Zip You’ve narrowed this down too much Vic by 1) naming a first and second team and 2) not allowing players from 2005/6.

Always think Steve was a forgotten man of great Reading sides - wracked up so many appearances. Often seen around Basingstoke but struggling with his knees by the looks of things.

Very under-rated. Always totally committed.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 Nov 2021 10:34

Steve Death
Gary Peters
Adie Williams
Steve Hetzke
Mark White
Steve Sidwell
Neil Webb
Michael Osborne
Jimmy Kebe
Robin Friday
Michael Gilkes

Bench:
Dick Habbin
Kevin Doyle
Dylan Kerr
Ibrahima Sonko
Jimmy Quinn
Richie Bowman

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Nov 2021 10:38

Norfolk Royal Steve Death
Gary Peters
Adie Williams
Steve Hetzke
Mark White
Steve Sidwell
Neil Webb
Richie Bowman
Jimmy Kebe
Robin Friday
Michael Gilkes

Bench:
Richie Bowman
Kevin Doyle
Dylan Kerr
Ibrahima Sonko
Jimmy Quinn
Michael Osborne

You ain’t allowed Sidwell, Doyle or Sonko. I can’t recall Michael Osborne at all.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Nov 2021 10:40

Zip
Gary Peters
Adie Williams
Steve Hetzke
Mark White
Steve Sidwell
Neil Webb
Richie Bowman
Jimmy Kebe
Robin Friday
Michael Gilkes

Bench:
Richie Bowman
Kevin Doyle
Dylan Kerr
Ibrahima Sonko
Jimmy Quinn
Michael Osborne

You ain’t allowed Sidwell, Doyle or Sonko. I can’t recall Michael Osborne at all.

Assuming he meant Simon Osborn.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 Nov 2021 10:52

Pepe the Horseman
Zip
Gary Peters
Adie Williams
Steve Hetzke
Mark White
Steve Sidwell
Neil Webb
Richie Bowman
Jimmy Kebe
Robin Friday
Michael Gilkes

Bench:
Richie Bowman
Kevin Doyle
Dylan Kerr
Ibrahima Sonko
Jimmy Quinn
Michael Osborne

Lol, soz. I went to school with someone called Michael Osborne.

Reverse ferret.

Steve Death
Gary Peters
Adie Williams
Steve Hetzke
Mark White
Richie Bowman
Neil Webb
Simon Osborn.
Jimmy Kebe
Robin Friday
Michael Gilkes

Bench:
Dick Habbin
Dylan Kerr
Jimmy Quinn
Martin Hicks
Trevor Senior
Dave Moreline.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Nov 2021 11:03

Gooding and Gilkes ahead of Steve as full backs is very very questionable.

My pre-2005 team (assuming I have to exclude Sidwell, Harper, Shorey, Kitson, etc.) would be just as boring as my all-time team, because it would basically be the play-off team plus Upson and Fozzy.

So, a team excluding anyone who made an appearance in 2005/06 (so Bikey, Federici and Forster are eligible but not Long), and capping myself to three members of Jimmy & Mick’s playoff side and three of McDermott’s promotion side:

Shaka - obvious choice

Richardson - bit of a cheat, but right back has historically been our least impressive position and was the weak point in all three of our great teams in my lifetime. Richardson is covering right back.
Pearce - an ever-present in that second promotion, very solid
Upson - here for a good time not a long time, but made his quality clear immediately
Armstrong - lots of good contenders here - Bertrand, Harte, Bridge, Obita, Richards - but I feel Armstrong was the most dependable.

Leigertwood - essential to that McDermott side, provided strength and solidarity in midfield and was very good at carrying the ball under pressure.
Osborn - not really his natural role but someone of his talent would have little trouble adapting. Again, shame his time with us was so short.

Kebe - extremely good all-round winger, would do the dirty work defensively then spring into action with an incredible counter-attack. The obvious choice.
Gylfi - enough said, but Swift would be a great alternative.
McCleary - my restrictions prevent me from picking Convey, McAnuff or Gilkes. Ejaria is an option but would feel premature. Went with McCleary over Beerens because he had longevity as well as talent.

Joao - not as clinical as Cureton or Le Fondre but unparalleled at creating his own chances out of nothing

Subs: Al Habsi, Bikey, Gunter, Baker, Swift, Ejaria, Forster

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 30 Nov 2021 11:04

Tommy wright
Shorey
Wdowczyk
Ady Williams
Murty
Gilkes
Sidwell
Parkinson
Little
Forster
Cureton

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Nov 2021 11:10

Pepe the Horseman
Zip
Gary Peters
Adie Williams
Steve Hetzke
Mark White
Steve Sidwell
Neil Webb
Richie Bowman
Jimmy Kebe
Robin Friday
Michael Gilkes

Bench:
Richie Bowman
Kevin Doyle
Dylan Kerr
Ibrahima Sonko
Jimmy Quinn
Michael Osborne

That’s what I thought but Norrers can spell and would have known it was Osborn. Anyway he’s explained himself.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 30 Nov 2021 11:16

I find this an interesting topic , as it brings back memories of players that brought great enjoyment to supporters of bygone years .
David Jones GK
Johnny Walker RB
Colin Meldrum. LB
Martin Hicks. CB
Keith Curle. CB
Neil Webb. MF
Simon Osborn. MF
Denis Allen. MF
Johnny Brooks. MF
Jimmy Quinn. CF
Ronnie Blackman. CF

Ok , so there are three players in the team that most current supporters will not have seen , I will fill in a little about them .
David Jones , was the best Reading keeper I ever saw at taking crosses . Any cross from the penalty sport in , he would come and take cleanly and he did it with a balletic leap that looked like a work of art .
Johnny Brooks , local lad from the Coley area . Classy inside forward (as they were called) , close ball control , good dribbler , could score a goal . Sold to Tottenham , for considerable fee plus two players . Later moved to Chelsea . Played three times for England , scored one goal . Often on Sunday mornings would play in the local park kick abouts .. ( no organised Sunday football in those days)
Ronnie Blackman . Centre forward . Played 218 games for RFC , scored 158 goals , 96 of them with his head , this in the days when the ball weighed a ton , particularly when wet , and it was always wet . Many of his headers would be from the edge of the box . I believe his record of 39 league goals in one season still stands . Ron in later life moved to the south coast but even in his late 80s would travel up for annual football reunions .

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 30 Nov 2021 11:18

I find this an interesting topic , as it brings back memories of players that brought great enjoyment to supporters of bygone years .
David Jones GK
Johnny Walker RB
Colin Meldrum. LB
Martin Hicks. CB
Keith Curle. CB
Neil Webb. MF
Simon Osborn. MF
Denis Allen. MF
Johnny Brooks. MF
Jimmy Quinn. CF
Ronnie Blackman. CF

Ok , so there are three players in the team that most current supporters will not have seen , I will fill in a little about them .
David Jones , was the best Reading keeper I ever saw at taking crosses . Any cross from the penalty sport in , he would come and take cleanly and he did it with a balletic leap that looked like a work of art .
Johnny Brooks , local lad from the Coley area . Classy inside forward (as they were called) , close ball control , good dribbler , could score a goal . Sold to Tottenham , for considerable fee plus two players . Later moved to Chelsea . Played three times for England , scored one goal . Often on Sunday mornings would play in the local park kick abouts .. ( no organised Sunday football in those days)
Ronnie Blackman . Centre forward . Played 218 games for RFC , scored 158 goals , 96 of them with his head , this in the days when the ball weighed a ton , particularly when wet , and it was always wet . Many of his headers would be from the edge of the box . I believe his record of 39 league goals in one season still stands . Ron in later life moved to the south coast but even in his late 80s would travel up for annual football reunions .

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Nov 2021 11:25

Parky
Parky
Parky
Parky
Parky
Parky
Parky
Parky