438 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h)

by Hound » 20 Jan 2022 18:12

Zip
Hendo
URZZZZZZZZ
The football is clearly making things difficult at the moment, but there has been no evident push to try and drive attendances for years now. If there had been any sort of thought out marketing strategy towards the start of this season the club would never be getting sub 10k crowds - it’s unheard of in the Madejski era. Look at the attendances in 2017/18 when we had an equally poor season, you would consistently see 15k plus attendances, I can’t recall getting anywhere near that this term.

Attendances were pretty good that season, looking back on it. Although there were 2 very, very bad ones in a row:

v Sheff Utd 27/02 - 6,769
v Bolton 06/03 - 8,631

Yep went to both. The Sheffield United game was incredibly cold about -8c. My windscreen was frozen with my window screen water on the way to the game.

Yep shouldn’t have played that one. Pitch was frozen and think McCleary broke his ankle on it

Was bloody freezing, remember it well. The Bolton one was as miserable as last night sounds

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jan 2022 18:16

Hound
Zip
Hendo
Attendances were pretty good that season, looking back on it. Although there were 2 very, very bad ones in a row:

v Bolton 06/03 - 8,631

Yep went to both. The Sheffield United game was incredibly cold about -8c. My windscreen was frozen with my window screen water on the way to the game.

Yep shouldn’t have played that one. Pitch was frozen and think McCleary broke his ankle on it

Was bloody freezing, remember it well. The Bolton one was as miserable as last night sounds

They were two of the most horrible games you could ever have seen. The Sheffield United one in particular was just physically painful, I couldn' move my legs at the end, genuinely struggled to move I was that cold.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jan 2022 18:18

The Fulham game where it was called off at half time was miserable as well afaicr.

Edit nvm that was season before.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jan 2022 18:19

Hound
Zip
Hendo

v Bolton 06/03 - 8,631

Yep GMac did his ankle very early on.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 20 Jan 2022 18:31

Hound
Zip
Hendo

v Bolton 06/03 - 8,631

Perhaps the strange thing about both of those, and last night's I'd imagine, is that they were true 'attendances' of the number of people who turned up, rather than the count of tickets sold, which is the usual way of doing things.

Even in the past, season ticket holders would be counted even if they didn't turn up.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2022 18:49

NathStPaul
Hound
Zip

They were two of the most horrible games you could ever have seen. The Sheffield United one in particular was just physically painful, I couldn' move my legs at the end, genuinely struggled to move I was that cold.

Played crap, somehow managed to pull it back to 2-1 then bacuna missed a pen. Then slightly dodgy sportsmanship from sheff utd not returning a throw after an injury leading to a third goal iirc

Awful game, rubbish performance and absolutely freezing

Definitely at a similar ebb to that now

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Jan 2022 18:51

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jan 2022 18:54

Hound
NathStPaul
Hound

Played crap, somehow managed to pull it back to 2-1 then bacuna missed a pen. Then slightly dodgy sportsmanship from sheff utd not returning a throw after an injury leading to a third goal iirc

The Bolton game was the debut of Tom Holmes I think. Stam just threw him in on a whim because he ran out of ideas. Adam Le Fondre run him ragged.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2022 18:55

NathStPaul
Hound
NathStPaul They were two of the most horrible games you could ever have seen. The Sheffield United one in particular was just physically painful, I couldn' move my legs at the end, genuinely struggled to move I was that cold.

The Bolton game was the debut of Tom Holmes I think. Stam just threw him in on a whim because he ran out of ideas. Adam Le Fondre run him ragged.

Yep that’s right

Dug up the sheff utd report - reads like any number of our recent games

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43122514

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jan 2022 18:57

Hound
NathStPaul
Hound

Yep and it was bloody Sharp who got the third.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jan 2022 19:01

Hound
NathStPaul
Hound

Yep that’s right

Dug up the sheff utd report - reads like any number of our recent games

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43122514

I hadn’t planned to go to the Bolton game as I had large loss claims in Devon and Cornwall that day including an awful fatality of a little girl. However the club contacted me to say I had won the Rewards thing they were doing at the time meaning we had a free meal in one of the suites, free parking, free drinks, free matchday programmes, leather seats to watch the game from etc. etc. So I though oxf*rd it and we ended up going.

When we got to our dining table we were given the team sheet and we thought who the hell is this Tom Holmes.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Jan 2022 19:33

RoyalBlue
Sanguine We're doomed aren't we?

As a statistical aside, historians may already have noticed that we were relegated in both our 50- and 100-year anniversary seasons, so we'll be continuing the pattern if we fall through the trapdoor to League One this time at 150 years. We were also relegated the year that we left Elm Park, of course.

Are you sure the first two are correct? I think we were in Southern 1 either side of our 50th anniversary and I thought we were relegated at the end of 1970-71, so the end of the season before our 100th Anniversary date of 25th December 1971.

Yeah, looking again, was about by a year. For some reason was treating this season as 2020-21. We were relegated in 1970-71, and in 1920-21.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 20 Jan 2022 22:17

Hendo
URZZZZZZZZ
Dirk Gently
So how exactly would you markey RFC at the moment? "Come and watch the public execution", or as a clown show?

The football is clearly making things difficult at the moment, but there has been no evident push to try and drive attendances for years now. If there had been any sort of thought out marketing strategy towards the start of this season the club would never be getting sub 10k crowds - it’s unheard of in the Madejski era. Look at the attendances in 2017/18 when we had an equally poor season, you would consistently see 15k plus attendances, I can’t recall getting anywhere near that this term.

v Bolton 06/03 - 8,631

I’ve had a look and the average in 17/18 was 17,500, whilst this season it’s 12,500.

Losing 5,000 per game across a full season is worth roughly £1.7 million to the club, and it’s mind boggling that the people in charge aren’t even making an effort to address that.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Jan 2022 22:26

URZZZZZZZZ
Hendo
URZZZZZZZZ

v Bolton 06/03 - 8,631

I’ve had a look and the average in 17/18 was 17,500, whilst this season it’s 12,500.

Losing 5,000 per game across a full season is worth roughly £1.7 million to the club, and it’s mind boggling that the people in charge aren’t even making an effort to address that.

Agree with your general comment although in 2017/18 our average gate was a little lower than you say at 16,656. That looks really healthy now compared to our current gates but it was in itself the first time in 14 years that our average gate had dipped below 17;000. It makes for grim reading.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 20 Jan 2022 23:04

URZZZZZZZZ
Hendo
URZZZZZZZZ

v Bolton 06/03 - 8,631

Surely if they put an end to Club1871 it will help?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 20 Jan 2022 23:32

Sanguine
RoyalBlue
Sanguine We're doomed aren't we?

As a statistical aside, historians may already have noticed that we were relegated in both our 50- and 100-year anniversary seasons, so we'll be continuing the pattern if we fall through the trapdoor to League One this time at 150 years. We were also relegated the year that we left Elm Park, of course.

Are you sure the first two are correct? I think we were in Southern 1 either side of our 50th anniversary and I thought we were relegated at the end of 1970-71, so the end of the season before our 100th Anniversary date of 25th December 1971.

Yeah, looking again, was about by a year. For some reason was treating this season as 2020-21. We were relegated in 1970-71, and in 1920-21.

We weren't relegated in 1920/21. It was our first year in the football league.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jan 2022 07:08

tmesis
Sanguine
RoyalBlue

We weren't relegated in 1920/21. It was our first year in the football league.

As stated, Reading were not relegated in 1921, the FL allowed a shed load of northerners to join the league that year so Reading changed division from Division 3 to Division 3S

The 100 year anniversary was “celebrated” in 70/71 (was there actually any special celebration/memorabilia for that - just a first day cover or something wasn’t it?) as the club at the time thought it was founded in February 1871. Since that time new information has shown this date to be more like November/December 1871 so the club is celebrating the 150th this season (21/22) therefore there is a discrepancy in the seasons.

So technically, as the club was wrong on the dating, the 100 years should have been celebrated in 71/72 when Reading were not relegated, though the 16th place finish in Division 4 that season is the lowest league position managed to date.

Just for the record the 25th and 75th anniversaries saw no relegation.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jan 2022 09:40

Apologies if i have missed this and may well be another thread - but in other shocking developments - where has Kingsley and Queensley gone?

438 posts