Who realistically replaces Paunovic…?

328 posts
Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Who realistically replaces Paunovic…?

by Greatwesternline » 13 Jan 2022 10:05

Hound
Yep and quite possibly over those 20 years, each of those clubs has had issues with the 'maintenance' of those players.

We've seen a number of players come back and get injured again very quickly. Repeated soft tissue injuries. Moore's not been especially injury prone. Joao is basically on track I think. The number of set backs players - McIntyre, Morrison, Rinomhotam Azeez, AH, Ejaria, Moore - thats where I've my concerns. Not all are historically injury prone by any stretch.

Its possible but its also possible its just something that will come around eventually. Its also a lot more likely to become a self fulfilling issue. If you are having an injury crisis then players come back sooner, and play full games sooner than would be the case in a squad where there is no need to bring them back sooner.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jan 2022 10:06

Hound
Greatwesternline
Hound
But why are they injury prone? Is it more likely that we are just unlucky and have double the injuries the next worst hit club does?

The individual biomechanics of their body? And we happen to have struck upon a quite a few at once?

There are 92 professional teams, over the last 20 years i suspect at any given time there would have been another club somewhere with this many injuries. Right now its happening to us.

Its possible Araruna's knees simply arent strong enough for his body. Its possible morrison is old and his body is giving up. Its possible Moore has damaged his shoulder beyond repair and as a result his body was over compensating in other areas which will make him injury prone. Its possible meite did his ligaments. Meite has injured his knees before. Your body never heals its knees perfectly. Its possible Joao did similar.

my wife was a GB heptathlete as a teenager all the way up to 18, her brother was a GB long jumper up to 22. Both succumbed to knee injuries as did their dad who was an england rugby league and union player.

Most of their fellow cohort of gb athletes careers ended from injury rather than lack of ability. Rutherford who everyone has heard of was not the best GB long jumper 2 years prior to London 2012. But he didnt get injured. His body was more capable of the intensity required to maintain high level sport compared to others.

Yep and quite possibly over those 20 years, each of those clubs has had issues with the 'maintenance' of those players.

We've seen a number of players come back and get injured again very quickly. Repeated soft tissue injuries. Moore's not been especially injury prone. Joao is basically on track I think. The number of set backs players - McIntyre, Morrison, Rinomhotam Azeez, AH, Ejaria, Moore - thats where I've my concerns. Not all are historically injury prone by any stretch.

Agree with that as well. There is a high volume of players that seem to be out almost indefinitely (Rino) or others that have suffered set backs (McIntyre, Araruna) over this season. Everyone is prone to injuries and some will naturally take longer than others to recover due to severity and the individual, but it seems like some of these are taking "too long". Wasn't Rino just a minor ankle knock back in September and rumours had it pre-Blackburn that he was in contention and he's only just come back into the frame? I know it's not really our business to know, but I'd have liked to have known what actually happened there. It could be something completely normal, but Rino's injury just seemed abnormal.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 13 Jan 2022 10:17

I know, not at all likely but if it can’t be Ainsworth I would choose Nuno Espírito Santo. He did a fantastic job at Wolves.

Tbh I am not keen on any ex-players. Gilksie is a legend to me and I have my special signed shirt and I would hate to see him or any ex-players fail.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Jan 2022 10:21

blythspartan I know, not at all likely but if it can’t be Ainsworth I would choose Nuno Espírito Santo. He did a fantastic job at Wolves.

Good shout. Maybe Pochettino if Nuno isn't interested.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2022 10:27

Greatwesternline
Snowflake Royal Yep. Impact injury excuse just looks farcical at this point.

Azeez has now broken down three times on return.

The fact the same player keeps breaking down suggests that player has a problem not the manager. Some people's bodies aren't cut out for top level sport and they only find out about it when they reach the top level of intensity.

I know everyone wants a reason for everything because it makes them feel better if they can blame everything on something.

It is also possible that Reading's current crop of players are injury prone.

That's more likely than a recently qualified manager has strange coaching tactics that injure players.

It's not just one player. It suggests they're being rushed back too soon.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 13 Jan 2022 10:41

Snowflake Royal
Greatwesternline

The fact the same player keeps breaking down suggests that player has a problem not the manager. Some people's bodies aren't cut out for top level sport and they only find out about it when they reach the top level of intensity.

I know everyone wants a reason for everything because it makes them feel better if they can blame everything on something.

That's more likely than a recently qualified manager has strange coaching tactics that injure players.

Agree they're probably being rushed back. He's trying to save his job i guess

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2022 11:48

Greatwesternline
Snowflake Royal
Greatwesternline

Doing as good a job on that as managing the team

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jan 2022 12:02

Snowflake Royal
Greatwesternline
Snowflake Royal It's not just one player. It suggests they're being rushed back too soon.

yep granted some of that. Its the manager who makes the final decision of if they play isn't it? So if he is bringing people back against medical advice too soon, then its his responsibility.

If players are coming back before they are ready, but Pauno is advised they are good to play, then guess its hard to blame him.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jan 2022 12:13

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Greatwesternline

yep granted some of that. Its the manager who makes the final decision of if they play isn't it? So if he is bringing people back against medical advice too soon, then its his responsibility.

If players are coming back before they are ready, but Pauno is advised they are good to play, then guess its hard to blame him.

You could even take that a step further and say that if Pauno has hired the people responsible for the medical department (physios, doctors, sports scientists etc) then the responsibility does fall with him for hiring staff that aren't good enough. However, I'm not sure that every person of the medical team will have been recruited by Pauno, but it does seem alarming that this amount of injuries has occurred since his time.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2022 12:13

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Greatwesternline

I think its more complex. There's degrees of bringing someone back. There's degrees of medical advice beyond yes/no.

His training regime is likely part of the problem at this point.

Believe the manager must oversee physio performance and fitness training .... got to be part of his team.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Jan 2022 12:14

Snowflake Royal
Greatwesternline

Azeez and Halilovic yes both brought back too early. However Araruna had been out for about 16 months and Dann was a new injury. Look how long it took Rinomhota to return and how long it’s taking with McIntyre

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2022 12:16

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Greatwesternline

Azeez and Halilovic yes both brought back too early. However Araruna had been out for about 16 months and Dann was a new injury. Look how long it took Rinomhota to return and how long it’s taking with McIntyre

If the fitness regime is right at the club, there is no way Dann pulls his hamstring jogging back into position 5 minutes into a game. But yes, he's not an example of someone repeatedly breaking down.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 13 Jan 2022 12:16

We heard before he came here his training sessions were criticised by former players, and that may well be why we have so many injury problems.

As for his replacement, just as with transfers, it'll have to be someone out of a job.

I still favour Warnock just for his sheer passion. Give him until summer and review then. If we go down then I'd definitely have him on a 2 year deal.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 13 Jan 2022 12:22

This bit about him rushing players back doesn’t seem to fit with the length of time players are out ‘ injured ‘ , and the period of time before Dann was put in the team , weeks after his training partner was playing for Bournemouth !
He just can’t get it right !

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2022 12:28

Once upon a time . This bit about him rushing players back doesn’t seem to fit with the length of time players are out ‘ injured ‘ , and the period of time before Dann was put in the team , weeks after his training partner was playing for Bournemouth !
He just can’t get it right !

I just posted something on another thread explaining why it may exactly do that.

Maybe the set backs are from players being asked to do too much in training too soon, so they never get fit enough to make a return in the first place.

Would explain why Rino was two weeks away for 3 months.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jan 2022 12:28

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal It's not just one player. It suggests they're being rushed back too soon.

If the fitness regime is right at the club, there is no way Dann pulls his hamstring jogging back into position 5 minutes into a game. But yes, he's not an example of someone repeatedly breaking down.

You would assume the fitness regime at the club has the medical department, particularly the sports science department, would have some sort of say on how much is "too much" for each player.

It is tough to dissect whether it's the manager or the staff. I can't imagine the manager would go against the medical of advice from his staff, however I wouldn't bet that this hasn't happened either.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2022 12:33

Paunovic has had ample opportunity to replace them

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jan 2022 12:41

Possibly he has but if it was as easy as that, or if he felt like there was a problem, then he would have done. Again, hard to tell if this is the manager's incompetency or another issue.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Jan 2022 12:52

Pepe the Horseman
blythspartan I know, not at all likely but if it can’t be Ainsworth I would choose Nuno Espírito Santo. He did a fantastic job at Wolves.

Good shout. Maybe Pochettino if Nuno isn't interested.

Arrigo Sacchi is currently unemployed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2022 13:05

YorkshireRoyal99 Possibly he has but if it was as easy as that, or if he felt like there was a problem, then he would have done. Again, hard to tell if this is the manager's incompetency or another issue.

It's clearly a group effort, but one person has overall accountability.

328 posts