Re: When will Pauno be sacked?

by Sutekh » 15 Jan 2022 06:29

Mid Sussex Royal
Millsy
Sutekh
Generally yes JM did…

Ian Porterfield was removed ostensibly over drink/driving
Mark McGhee jumped ship
Quinn and Gooding were given the heave-ho for no real reason other than JM fancied a change, not what I would have done but then who cares what I would have done?
Terry Bullivant - was that mutual consent or did Terry just walk away?
Tommy Burns was just awful at Reading so got the tin-tack after a reasonable run all of which was fairly bad
Alan Pardew walked out
Steve Coppell resigned
Brendan Rodgers sacked after only 5 months wasn’t it?

Brian McDermott was sacked by Zingaravich I think
Nigel Adkins was sacked by the Thais after JM had managed to sell the club again

I think he only got the decisions on QandG and Brendan wrong

Obviously I love JM.

But your summary there suggests he got 2 wrong, 2 right and the rest were sort of out of his hands/forced. So I’m not sure about the claim of him getting “rid of managers at the right time”. Seems quite neutral.

I put his success more down to being a shrewd enough judge of character to get the right people in more often than most others do I.e. FSB, Parj , Coppell and arguably Brenda had he kept his nerve.

So does he genuinely think Pauno is one of these great men? I’s he the next Brenda, as I’ve been suggesting he might be over the last few weeks? I no longer think that and I don’t think JM is suggesting that either, I think he’s just choosing not to lay the blame fully with him. But that’s just my opinion, largely because the Pauno debate is doing my head in and it’d be much more elegant for me if JM could align himself with the rest of us. He’s putting a spanner in the works! :)

Must have been character as SJM is not a football person. And he got it right more often than not, McGhee, Pardew and MacD were all completely unproven when appointed.

Re above, was right re not renewing Quinn and Gooding, but admittedly made the wrong appointments next 2. Q & G generally made poor signings and a side 4 mins from the premier league (built by McGhee) was relegation fodder within 6 months. Yes they kept us up for 2 seasons but it wouldn't have lasted. You only have to hear Gooding's bland contributions on BBC Berks to realise that.

Mick Gooding has said of his and Jimmy’s tenure that every season they were in charge they would present JM with a playing budget they thought would get the club at least competing at the top of the division and another budget they thought would enable survival and every time JM went down the survival route because of the money involved plus things behind the scenes with identifying and building the new stadium.

On this Q&G were successful every season (and, as I recall, while the club teetered above relegation it never really got wedged in the relegation places during the season). If they had not been “Let go” I don’t think the club would have gone down in 1998 and they deserved a shot at a season with the budget that Burns wasted.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Jan 2022 17:02

Sutekh
Mid Sussex Royal
Millsy
Obviously I love JM.

But your summary there suggests he got 2 wrong, 2 right and the rest were sort of out of his hands/forced. So I’m not sure about the claim of him getting “rid of managers at the right time”. Seems quite neutral.

I put his success more down to being a shrewd enough judge of character to get the right people in more often than most others do I.e. FSB, Parj , Coppell and arguably Brenda had he kept his nerve.

So does he genuinely think Pauno is one of these great men? I’s he the next Brenda, as I’ve been suggesting he might be over the last few weeks? I no longer think that and I don’t think JM is suggesting that either, I think he’s just choosing not to lay the blame fully with him. But that’s just my opinion, largely because the Pauno debate is doing my head in and it’d be much more elegant for me if JM could align himself with the rest of us. He’s putting a spanner in the works! :)

Must have been character as SJM is not a football person. And he got it right more often than not, McGhee, Pardew and MacD were all completely unproven when appointed.

Re above, was right re not renewing Quinn and Gooding, but admittedly made the wrong appointments next 2. Q & G generally made poor signings and a side 4 mins from the premier league (built by McGhee) was relegation fodder within 6 months. Yes they kept us up for 2 seasons but it wouldn't have lasted. You only have to hear Gooding's bland contributions on BBC Berks to realise that.

Mick Gooding has said of his and Jimmy’s tenure that every season they were in charge they would present JM with a playing budget they thought would get the club at least competing at the top of the division and another budget they thought would enable survival and every time JM went down the survival route because of the money involved plus things behind the scenes with identifying and building the new stadium.

On this Q&G were successful every season (and, as I recall, while the club teetered above relegation it never really got wedged in the relegation places during the season). If they had not been “Let go” I don’t think the club would have gone down in 1998 and they deserved a shot at a season with the budget that Burns wasted.

Totally agree.

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 15 Jan 2022 17:21

If we keep the same manager we must accept the same ( lack of ) tactics, inability to defend, high rate of injuries and ultimately relegation this season.
If it hasn’t happened already the apathy will reach the dressing room and it’ll be damage limitation. Game after game until one of the three teams below us hits a little form and drops us into the R zone.
I predict that Derby will overtake Reading within the next 5 games and that will be that. Stark contrast really. Derby players haven’t been paid but are still beating other teams whereas….
Sums it up really. It’s not just the manager that is the issue here. Most of this overpaid and over-rated squad need to go.
Many of them are an insult to our club.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Jan 2022 17:24

Forest Gump If we keep the same manager we must accept the same ( lack of ) tactics, inability to defend, high rate of injuries and ultimately relegation this season.
If it hasn’t happened already the apathy will reach the dressing room and it’ll be damage limitation. Game after game until one of the three teams below us hits a little form and drops us into the R zone.
I predict that Derby will overtake Reading within the next 5 games and that will be that. Stark contrast really. Derby players haven’t been paid but are still beating other teams whereas….
Sums it up really. It’s not just the manager that is the issue here. Most of this overpaid and over-rated squad need to go.
Many of them are an insult to our club.

Oh Derby may well go above us next month. They have a great run of home games to follow. I have been saying for a while they are far from down.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 15 Jan 2022 22:43

Won’t be sacked. He is here until end of the season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2022 22:44

SouthDownsRoyal Won’t be sacked. He is here until end of the season.

Lose the next 4 and I bet he isn’t.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 15 Jan 2022 22:48

Snowflake Royal

Shame is that we won’t lose the next four, we will Nick the odd draw or win and so we go on

Pauno is here until summer

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 15 Jan 2022 23:46

Snowflake Royal

There's no money in the pot.

The Club has also agreed to adhere to a Business Plan focused on a number of financial targets, including controlling player-related expenditure, with the objective of moving the Club towards P&S compliance in forthcoming reporting periods.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2022 23:48

Lower West
Snowflake Royal

The Club has also agreed to adhere to a Business Plan focused on a number of financial targets, including controlling player-related expenditure, with the objective of moving the Club towards P&S compliance in forthcoming reporting periods.

Do that badly and income will be threatened by much more than the cost of a replacement.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Jan 2022 00:49

Exactly.

Seems more and more like this might be in our hands.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Jan 2022 01:17

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
Snowflake Royal Lose the next 4 and I bet he isn’t.

Do that badly and income will be threatened by much more than the cost of a replacement.

Another 6 point deduction this season would be suicidal.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jan 2022 06:56

Last edited by Hound on 16 Jan 2022 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 16 Jan 2022 07:18

He has to be the luckiest manager ever. Our most humiliating cup defeat ever. Our biggest ever home defeat. And another last minute defeat. I can’t think of any other club that would not have sacked the manager.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Jan 2022 09:21

Jackson Corner He has to be the luckiest manager ever. Our most humiliating cup defeat ever. Our biggest ever home defeat. And another last minute defeat. I can’t think of any other club that would not have sacked the manager.

I’ve been saying this for ages. In reality, he should have been sacked a long time ago.

To not only survive that, but then the last week, is just utterly hilarious. Unfortunately it will only serve to make the stubborn, arrogant prick, even more stubborn and arrogant. He’s terrible at his job and will ultimately cost his company millions but who cares he’s never getting fired. That’s just unheard of.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2022 11:15

Lower West
Snowflake Royal
Lower West

Another 6 point deduction this season would be suicidal.

Do that badly and another 6 point, or even 18 point deduction this season will have no effect.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Feb 2022 07:53

So it seems roughly half of you were right.. so far.

I honestly can’t believe it’s over a month since this poll, we’ve lost every game since and we’re still (if we’re being honest) not even sure it’ll happen. :(

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Feb 2022 08:45

Never. Pauno will remain manager forever as we crash down through the divisions and end up playing in the Hellenic League South division 3 section.
We will be living in Paunoworld forever. 8)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Feb 2022 09:15

Zip Never. Pauno will remain manager forever as we crash down through the divisions and end up playing in the Hellenic League South division 3 section.
We will be living in Paunoworld forever. 8)

and it will still always be next month when we'll get people back fit and be really good again

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Feb 2022 09:20

I'll continue to believe until he's still here Friday afternoon.