Ian Royal
9%

Total votes: 80
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: When will Pauno be sacked?

by Hound » 13 Jan 2022 16:09

Snowflake Royal
Millsy I guess it's not just him is it, it's the whole backroom staff that would need to be paid off/ replaced right? (except if QF stays as caretaker)

Yep

Well yeah. If we sacked and replaced them. We didn't sack Eddie N when Bowen left.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 13 Jan 2022 18:23

SJM backing Pauno. And before anyone laughs he usually got rid of managers at the right time from what i can remember

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2022 19:04

Mid Sussex Royal SJM backing Pauno. And before anyone laughs he usually got rid of managers at the right time from what i can remember

He's also savvy enough and close enough to the club to know its not a good idea for the former owner and chairman to say the incumbent manager should sacked.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Jan 2022 19:05

Mid Sussex Royal SJM backing Pauno. And before anyone laughs he usually got rid of managers at the right time from what i can remember

Yeh he is. I think his point is more that the problems are far deeper and we mustn't expect things to improve overall most of us aren't expecting a new manager to solve all our woes just a quick fix to save us from the drop.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 13 Jan 2022 19:20

I don’t believe he’ll be sacked, even if we get beat 7-0 by Middlesbrough. Not sure if it’s because the owner wants out and doesn’t care or if he just intends to let Pauno work out his current contract.

Also, maybe because Pauno has supposedly been responsible for the recruitment over the summer window and possibly this one so doesn’t want to rock the boat. I am just oxf*rd second guessing tbh.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Jan 2022 14:20

Millsy

Yeh he is. I think his point is more that the problems are far deeper and we mustn't expect things to improve overall most of us aren't expecting a new manager to solve all our woes just a quick fix to save us from the drop.

Generally yes JM did…

Ian Porterfield was removed ostensibly over drink/driving
Mark McGhee jumped ship
Quinn and Gooding were given the heave-ho for no real reason other than JM fancied a change, not what I would have done but then who cares what I would have done?
Terry Bullivant - was that mutual consent or did Terry just walk away?
Tommy Burns was just awful at Reading so got the tin-tack after a reasonable run all of which was fairly bad
Alan Pardew walked out
Steve Coppell resigned
Brendan Rodgers sacked after only 5 months wasn’t it?

Brian McDermott was sacked by Zingaravich I think
Nigel Adkins was sacked by the Thais after JM had managed to sell the club again

I think he only got the decisions on QandG and Brendan wrong

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Jan 2022 15:21

Sutekh
Millsy

Generally yes JM did…

Mark McGhee jumped ship
Quinn and Gooding were given the heave-ho for no real reason other than JM fancied a change, not what I would have done but then who cares what I would have done?
Tommy Burns was just awful at Reading so got the tin-tack after a reasonable run all of which was fairly bad
Alan Pardew walked out
Steve Coppell resigned

Nigel Adkins was sacked by the Thais after JM had managed to sell the club again

Obviously I love JM.

But your summary there suggests he got 2 wrong, 2 right and the rest were sort of out of his hands/forced. So I’m not sure about the claim of him getting “rid of managers at the right time”. Seems quite neutral.

I put his success more down to being a shrewd enough judge of character to get the right people in more often than most others do I.e. FSB, Parj , Coppell and arguably Brenda had he kept his nerve.

So does he genuinely think Pauno is one of these great men? I’s he the next Brenda, as I’ve been suggesting he might be over the last few weeks? I no longer think that and I don’t think JM is suggesting that either, I think he’s just choosing not to lay the blame fully with him. But that’s just my opinion, largely because the Pauno debate is doing my head in and it’d be much more elegant for me if JM could align himself with the rest of us. He’s putting a spanner in the works! :)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2022 15:30

He got Rodgers bang on.

He got rid of Taxi.

Burns would have gone much sooner if Madejski had been in the country during his first year in charge.

Jim & Mick he didn’t really get wrong, it just wasn't a must sack situation.

He refused Coppell's resignation. Coppell left when his contract expired at the end of the next season. Not a bad call.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Jan 2022 15:39

Snowflake Royal He got Rodgers bang on.

Stopped reading when I see you’re still trying to fight that lost battle :shock:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2022 15:47

Millsy

Stopped reading when I see you’re still trying to fight that lost battle :shock:

How he's done since has no bearing on his performance at Reading. It was dreadful.

The fact McDermott catapulted the same side to 9th, then got to the PO Final, then won the league completely justifies and supports the decision.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Jan 2022 15:52

Yawn

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Jan 2022 15:59

On Ian's side for this one, we were at serious risk of relegation under Rodgers.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2022 16:03

Millsy Yawn

You brought it up chump

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 14 Jan 2022 16:21

tidus_mi2 On Ian's side for this one, we were at serious risk of relegation under Rodgers.

Unusually me 2 ...

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 14 Jan 2022 16:33

All this talk of former managers & SJM is bringing an element of comfort to me.

You can argue the Rodgers one was wrong in hindsight, but at the time it was necessary, and Brian came in and took us up.

Back to Pauno, sounds like we don’t have the cash to fire him. What a mess

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Jan 2022 18:10

Yawn yawn yawn. A small minority of us said he was clearly turning things around and could see he was very talented and promising and just needed more time, had laid the foundation of a great side, whereas others argued he was a dud because they didn’t like his big watch. History proved who was right, BUT I do partly understand and accept the arguments, excuses and apologies as to why the rest of you got it wrong don’t worry :wink:

And bear in mind JM was so against the sacking he couldn’t even look him in the eye and it was widely felt it didn’t come from him and he was pressured into it. So remember that when saying he made the right decision by letting him go if you still believe that - he actually didn’t want to. Although I also see that this then goes against my point that he made a mistake by letting him go, so there is that. I can’t have it both ways either.

Back to my point it’s that JM’s undoubted strength was in seeing potential in the right man more so than sacking at the right time. That’s what people should remember him for. He chose well in Rodgers as he did in McGhee, Pardew, McDermott and Coppell. The first four were pretty much (bar a short stint at ??Watford for Rodgers) from scratch so really impressive. Coppell had a phenomenal record so was easy, but even then a significant number of HNA didn’t rate him and I had many an argument with haters here over that one too. Please tell me no one is going to try re-battle that one too? :P Anyway, I wonder how many other chairmen (especially non-footballing ones) can say they’ve spotted four stars out of nowhere. Quite remarkable! The man’s a genius and should be knighted. Oh.

So for me the question is does JM think Pauno is a rising star under poor circumstances? In which case we have to take note. (Also what I’ve been arguing like a bellend for the last few weeks!)

Or that he’s just making the point that the problems are far deeper so changing won’t solve anything. Which is what I reckon he's saying.
Last edited by Millsy on 14 Jan 2022 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Jan 2022 18:18

Snowflake Royal
Millsy

How he's done since has no bearing on his performance at Reading. It was dreadful.

The fact McDermott catapulted the same side to 9th, then got to the PO Final, then won the league completely justifies and supports the decision.

Very harsh Ian. Rodgers was given just four months and sacked before Christmas. He deserved more time than that.
He was changing our playing style and that takes time.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Jan 2022 18:45

Correct Zippers

There was a reason why we hired him in the first place. Previous at Reading and wonders at Watford.
It was the start of a ‘new Reading’ maybe a couple more months indulgence would’ve seen us see the best of him…then, who knew?

Ended up loving the MaccyD appointment tho’…obvs

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 14 Jan 2022 19:40

Millsy
Sutekh
Millsy

Generally yes JM did…

Mark McGhee jumped ship
Alan Pardew walked out
Steve Coppell resigned

Obviously I love JM.

But your summary there suggests he got 2 wrong, 2 right and the rest were sort of out of his hands/forced. So I’m not sure about the claim of him getting “rid of managers at the right time”. Seems quite neutral.

I put his success more down to being a shrewd enough judge of character to get the right people in more often than most others do I.e. FSB, Parj , Coppell and arguably Brenda had he kept his nerve.

So does he genuinely think Pauno is one of these great men? I’s he the next Brenda, as I’ve been suggesting he might be over the last few weeks? I no longer think that and I don’t think JM is suggesting that either, I think he’s just choosing not to lay the blame fully with him. But that’s just my opinion, largely because the Pauno debate is doing my head in and it’d be much more elegant for me if JM could align himself with the rest of us. He’s putting a spanner in the works! :)

Must have been character as SJM is not a football person. And he got it right more often than not, McGhee, Pardew and MacD were all completely unproven when appointed.

Re above, was right re not renewing Quinn and Gooding, but admittedly made the wrong appointments next 2. Q & G generally made poor signings and a side 4 mins from the premier league (built by McGhee) was relegation fodder within 6 months. Yes they kept us up for 2 seasons but it wouldn't have lasted. You only have to hear Gooding's bland contributions on BBC Berks to realise that.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Jan 2022 21:04

The chronic are claiming an exclusive that Pauno will not get a contract renewal and will leave in the summer.