We DO have to take action ASAP.

157 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Do fans have to take action ASAP?

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jan 2022 12:19

Is this not what STAR are discussing in a meeting with the club on Friday? Is that not what they are meant to do? If STAR get the word across that there are thoughts of protests, I'm sure the board members that are present would acknowledge that. But I'm not sure what good protesting will do because what is it going to change? The biggest change we need now is a change in results, that's the first thing. Whatever else comes out about the medium-long term strategy of the club, if anything, we can assess then.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 18 Jan 2022 12:19

NathStPaul
hughsies no.1
NathStPaul Yeah there are two sides to it for sure. I think a happy medium would be to support the team fully for the 90 minutes then protest after the games, preferably in and around the West Stand entrance and car park by it, where all the club officials park. They will have to see the protests in order to get home after the game, they'll hear us.

But what are you trying to achieve from protesting? Do you want a regular monthly letter from the owner to update on the Club? We all know the owner likes to keep himself to himself. We have a business plan agreed by the EFL which we are now abiding to.

Surely what STAR are doing by bringing the meeting forward to Friday will highlight the issues of catering etc.

What is the end goal of protesting? To upset the owner who has invested heavily so he packs it in and leave us in the sh*t? Could be massively shooting ourselves in the foot here, all I am saying...

I think the end goal should be to bring about a change in the clubs approach to the supporters and community as a whole, the club are more distant than ever before imo. The point needs to be made that whilst we accept the owner is a private person and doesn't want to interact with the supporters (as is his right) there has to be more transparancy. The constant radio silence just isn't working, especially at a time when things are so precarious for us with FFP. A proper director of football with an affinity to the club is needed and we could at least try and make that point, we need someone we can trust in a positon of power imo.

I agree that it would be amazing to see someone like Nigel Howe back as Chief Exec and a Director of Football with a link to the Club like Brian would be fantastic - the owner clearly relies heavily on advice from Kia etc and it hasn't worked. But I just don't know if this justifies a protest, this is what STAR is for to liaise with the Club, voice our concerns and see what the Club say in response. Last thing we need to do now is stir up more toxicity amongst the fanbase and the Club when we need to be giving our all to support the boys to keep us in the league.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 18 Jan 2022 13:21

genome
paultheroyal This is Reading FC - there will be no protest. Its not the Reading way. Pauno coming over to applaud fans after Fulham debacle to be greeted by boos and applause and then for the remainder of players acknowledging fans being applauded tells you all you need to know.

Here's an idea.

How about we re-create the atmosphere of that famous night at home against Forest or Wigan or the away support at Southampton. Encouragement, songs throughout, get behind the boys..... get a reaction, lets see if we get a reaction... do our bit, see if they respond.

Any form of protest, and careful what you wish for is what i would say.

I agree with you, protests won't happen. But it also won't happen the other way without improvement on the pitch.

Reading fans are fickle and apathetic and always have been.

Don't speak on behalf of everyone. You don't know.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2022 13:22

Barney
genome
paultheroyal This is Reading FC - there will be no protest. Its not the Reading way. Pauno coming over to applaud fans after Fulham debacle to be greeted by boos and applause and then for the remainder of players acknowledging fans being applauded tells you all you need to know.

Here's an idea.

How about we re-create the atmosphere of that famous night at home against Forest or Wigan or the away support at Southampton. Encouragement, songs throughout, get behind the boys..... get a reaction, lets see if we get a reaction... do our bit, see if they respond.

I agree with you, protests won't happen. But it also won't happen the other way without improvement on the pitch.

Don't tell the absolute truth and state facts? We have the most apathetic supporters in the Football League.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Jan 2022 13:46

NathStPaul
Barney
genome

Don't tell the absolute truth and state facts? We have the most apathetic supporters in the Football League.

You’re probably not far off to be fair

Pretty much all football fans are fickle though so would take that with a pinch of salt

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2022 13:48

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
Barney

Pretty much all football fans are fickle though so would take that with a pinch of salt

Not even sure apathetic is the word. I think describing Reading supporters as fairweather is a better fit. When it is good we will turn up, when it is bad we will stay home, we rely on the players to set the tone rather than being vociferous no matter what like a lot of other clubs support.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Jan 2022 14:27

YorkshireRoyal99 Is this not what STAR are discussing in a meeting with the club on Friday? Is that not what they are meant to do? If STAR get the word across that there are thoughts of protests, I'm sure the board members that are present would acknowledge that. But I'm not sure what good protesting will do because what is it going to change? The biggest change we need now is a change in results, that's the first thing. Whatever else comes out about the medium-long term strategy of the club, if anything, we can assess then.

The breakdown between club and fans needs to be protested but that is what STAR should, and presumably will, be doing in the meeting they have. Other than that I don’t see what point there is in a protest as the club is able to pay its bills and is, as far as we know, about as financially stable as most other football clubs.

The playing and management issues can’t be addressed by demos etc. due to the apparent financial restrictions (the management are apparently due to depart in the summer anyway) and a protest can’t influence an injury list either.

The financial mess has largely been brought about by very poor management appointments both in front of house and back leading to ridiculous spending on players that just didn’t fit whatever it was the manager was trying to do. This spending has now been reined in over the last couple of seasons and the club continues to work with the FL and shows no sign of deviating from that.

Of course another “pants day” may help everyone going to the game have a bit of fun and get some of it out of their systems.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 18 Jan 2022 14:31

I am a bit conflicted because, no matter what anyone says, we have shown some fight and quality in the previous two games. But then we've also lost both in awful ways. It's like no matter what we do on the pitch the team is finding a way to lose. And that can't be good.

There's part of me that thinks that this could all be turned round with a couple of good results. Get some self-confidence back into the team and we'll go out and win the games we need to secure ourselves in the league by Easter. Let Pauno's contract run out and we'll be in a better position to go for the manager we want in the summer without being so tied up by FFP requirements.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Jan 2022 14:45

Elm Park Kid I am a bit conflicted because,... There's part of me that thinks that this could all be turned round with a couple of good results. Get some self-confidence back into the team and we'll go out and win the games we needs.

My U-turning was exactly because of this. Thought he was out his depth last season, I then thought he did ok with all the injuries/embargo and with enough fit players he shows promise, plays exciting football and I thought he might be a bit of a Brendan if we let him go. But I U-turned back recently like a total tit because it's beyond that now, I think things have got very toxic and forgive the cliche but "he's lost the dressing room" so I'm no longer interested in his future promise in the current situation, which (to me) is critical and urgent hence starting this thread.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jan 2022 14:46

I think the easiest and a proven way to change your results is to change your manager, however that doesn't look like it's happening.

However, depending on if it's true or not, I'm not sure how it helps the manager now given the reports suggesting he is "almost certain" not to extend his contract when the season finishes, no matter where we finish. I can understand that argument if you're 16th and safe with half a dozen games left and you play out your season, but not mid-season where a club is firmly entrenched in a relegation battle.

I'm becoming all the more convinced that the pattern of leading in games and subsequently losing points is definitely down to both managers tactics and the players character, but we can change one of them potentially in the manager if we had to do. It might not mean they last longer than the summer either, but if a new manager was able to deliver 3/4 good results in the next 2-3 weeks and do enough to see us through and survive, that will do with me.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 18 Jan 2022 14:54

Barney
Simmops
WestYorksRoyal Has anyone considered a car park demonstration?

I have and I will be doing it

Everybody else on here is too fickle

What game will be doing this at ? Luton ? Huddersfield ?

And exactly what car park are you referring to ? Hotel ? Main (huge) car park ?

Please tell.

It's Eastbourne Borough FC. See the opening post of "Who are you (sic) local non league team" The opening post is quite enlightening about the poster's feelings towards other fans, players and club. It is fairly certain that he/she will not give a damn if the club gets a fine for a pitch invasion, or other fans get arrested for violence. I will leave you to ponder who the poster is, if you can't be bothered to look at the forum.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 18 Jan 2022 16:28

NathStPaul
Barney
genome

You KNOW this do you ?? You KNOW all the support fanbase of the other 91 league clubs do you ??? Walsall, Oldham, Scunthorpe,
Bolton, MK Dons etc etc. You KNOW our support is more apathetic than them ? REALLY ?
Don't talk utter garbage :evil:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Jan 2022 16:29

Barney
genome

Here's an idea.

Obviously not everyone is like that, but I just don't think we're passionate enough as a collective. It's been that way since I was a lad.

I would love to be proven wrong though.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Jan 2022 17:54

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
NathStPaul Don't tell the absolute truth and state facts? We have the most apathetic supporters in the Football League.

Not even sure apathetic is the word. I think describing Reading supporters as fairweather is a better fit. When it is good we will turn up, when it is bad we will stay home, we rely on the players to set the tone rather than being vociferous no matter what like a lot of other clubs support.

That pretty much sums up the fan bases of most clubs in the league.

In the championship alone, how many clubs' fans would you say are noticeably more loyal through thick an thin, or will sing away in support regardless of how well the team is doing on the day?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2022 18:05

Barney
NathStPaul
Barney

You KNOW this do you ?? You KNOW all the support fanbase of the other 91 league clubs do you ??? Walsall, Oldham, Scunthorpe,
Bolton, MK Dons etc etc. You KNOW our support is more apathetic than them ? REALLY ?

Yes I do.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 18 Jan 2022 18:31

NathStPaul
Barney
NathStPaul Don't tell the absolute truth and state facts? We have the most apathetic supporters in the Football League.

Yes I do.

Fair play to you. It's just that on the Bolton fans website (after they lost five consec games to Fleetwood, Accrington, Rotherham, Hartlepool amd Wycombe recently) they said that the club should be closed down, they said boycott the club, they stopped going, and MOST were saying this was the worst side in their HISTORY. And their crowds are a fraction of what they used to be.
But I guess you knew this.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 Jan 2022 18:18

YorkshireRoyal99 I think the easiest and a proven way to change your results is to change your manager, however that doesn't look like it's happening.

It's neither easiest nor proven. Plenty of managers come in and make little difference. If it was such a proven method, clubs wouldn't be sacking their new manager every year or so.

It's just that the media, who like to make a story where there isn't one, are very quick to suggest that the manager is the root of any dip in performance, and that getting somebody else is the solution.

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 19 Jan 2022 19:26

I guess our sell out of the allocation at QPR shows the core accept the position we're in and just want to get behind the team.
:D

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Jan 2022 19:38

Stevie G I guess our sell out of the allocation at QPR shows the core accept the position we're in and just want to get behind the team.
:D

TBF it`s easy to get to and a good piss up in London regardless of how badly the team is performing.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: We DO have to take action ASAP.

by windermereROYAL » 19 Jan 2022 22:47

The protests have to start on Saturday, but I doubt there will be enough fans to notice it.

157 posts