157 posts
Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Do fans have to take action ASAP?

by Simmops » 16 Jan 2022 11:48

Snowflake Royal
Uke
Lower West
In the lap of the Gods. The club is toxic.

Matters have never been under the fans’ control, no matter what we may think.

To them it’s all about owning prime real estate, trading million pounds worth of human athletes and making a profit. Ticket sales are almost nothing in real terms.

If a player increases in value by £5 million, that’s the equivalent of around a hundred full-stadium ticket sales.

A couple of thousand fans not buying a seat really isn’t going to bother or trouble the Dais for two or three seasons.

Brand protection is also important. Empty stadia and discontent in the stands is not good for the brand on tv.

:lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2022 11:49

Uke
Snowflake Royal
Uke

To them it’s all about owning prime real estate, trading million pounds worth of human athletes and making a profit. Ticket sales are almost nothing in real terms.

If a player increases in value by £5 million, that’s the equivalent of around a hundred full-stadium ticket sales.

A couple of thousand fans not buying a seat really isn’t going to bother or trouble the Dais for two or three seasons.

Brand protection is also important. Empty stadia and discontent in the stands is not good for the brand on tv.

Do you really think the Dais care about the “brand” more than the value of the land?

If all they cared about was land value, they'd have bought Green Park, not Reading FC.

Football clubs are not very good ways of making money. They're about publicity, networking, brand recognition, access, moving money abroad somewhere safe, for super rich owners.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 16 Jan 2022 11:50

Snowflake Royal Here's three ways you can make your feelings known, without actively harming the club further.

1) stop going.
2) go and be vocal about the manager / Moore / players / owner before the game, at HT and after the game
3) complain to the club

Do not invade the pitch. Do not break things. Do not fight. Do not threaten. Do not throw missiles.

And preferably remain supportive to the players on the pitch in game. Or at least silent.

When ever had a peaceful protest changed anything?

Are you going to light yourself on fire like a monk at halftime?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Jan 2022 11:51

Snowflake Royal
Uke
Snowflake Royal Here's three ways you can make your feelings known, without actively harming the club further.

1) stop going.
2) go and be vocal about the manager / Moore / players / owner before the game, at HT and after the game
3) complain to the club

Do not invade the pitch. Do not break things. Do not fight. Do not threaten. Do not throw missiles.

And preferably remain supportive to the players on the pitch in game. Or at least silent.

1) ineffectual
2) you need the owners to be at the match on a regular basis for that to have any effect
3) “Thank you very much for your email. We have put your complaint on file. Please do not hesitate to contact us in future. Meanwhile here is a link to our customer satisfaction survey which will only take a short while to complete…”

We just have to ride it out, as always…

Pants day and other things can be fun to take part in though.

Individually ineffectual, collectively and constantly, effective over time.

No club can afford to lose its fanbase. Fan pressure forces change in the end.

So you didn't take part in Pants Day? That occurred with the game in progress.

And how much time do you think we have exactly?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Jan 2022 11:51

Snowflake Royal
Uke

1) stop going.
3) complain to the club

1) ineffectual
2) you need the owners to be at the match on a regular basis for that to have any effect
3) “Thank you very much for your email. We have put your complaint on file. Please do not hesitate to contact us in future. Meanwhile here is a link to our customer satisfaction survey which will only take a short while to complete…”

Like at Blackburn, where nothing changed

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Jan 2022 11:53

ayjaydee
Uke
Lower West
In the lap of the Gods. The club is toxic.

Whilst not bothering them in the pocket I'm pretty sure it will have an impact on their credibility amongst their peers. An ever increasing sea of blue when (if ever again) we are on Sky, social media and negative press comments will all take their toll.
However, to what end? If the Dai's get fed up where does that leave us. There are no more SJM's out there to reduce us and what corporate organisation would want this basket case of a club?

To have any real peer pressures you probably need to be in the same country as them once in a while

Agree about what comes next
Last edited by Uke on 16 Jan 2022 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2022 11:53

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Uke
1) ineffectual

No, I was at Uni.

Nothing is going to work quicker. And most anything else would be more damaging anyway.

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 16 Jan 2022 12:15

Just stick with it and try to enjoy the roller coaster of the ride. Pauno said don't expect anything from Jan, so in that respect he can at least provide an honest and a realistic view. That takes some doing in comparison to those who make soundbite promises and then don't deliver. I thought they did well against Boro all things considered.

Maybe he's focusing the ability of the squad over the remainder of the season on those games that we can and need to win to stay up. We are in a relegation battle, but we're not anywhere near being relegated yet.

Maybe the Moore situation will now bring some issues out into the open.

If we survive in the Champ this season, and all things considered since Pauno came in, wouldn't you want to keep him. We're not going to go out and spend big on a manager, and so could well just continue the cycle of trying to find another SC/BM, while possibly just finding TB3.

Pauno in.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Jan 2022 12:16

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Snowflake Royal Individually ineffectual, collectively and constantly, effective over time.

No, I was at Uni.

Nothing is going to work quicker. And most anything else would be more damaging anyway.

With respect that might be the issue.

I've lost count the number of times we were on the pitch. All had some sort of effect, as did pants day.

Relegation to League One would be more damaging than anything short term I can think of.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2022 12:28

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Millsy

No, I was at Uni.

With respect that might be the issue.

I've lost count the number of times we were on the pitch. All had some sort of effect, as did pants day.

Relegation to League One would be more damaging than anything short term I can think of.

Fines are very damaging to us right now.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 16 Jan 2022 12:31

I am just seeing this as another chapter in our history. I have supported the club for just over 50 years and for almost 30 years we have been in the old third and fourth divisions. Fans who have supported us for 20 years, which is a long time, have mostly only known championship or Premiership football, arguably the best period in our 150 year history.

This feels like the worst thing since Robert Maxwell’s Thames Valley Royals back in 1983. If the owner has lost interest we’re doomed tbh. I just wish as fans we could make a difference but not sure we can. It’s the perfect storm. Having said all that I’d support AFC Reading in any league.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Jan 2022 13:11

Stevie G Just stick with it ...

...Maybe the Moore situation will now bring some issues out into the open.

If we survive in the Champ this season, and all things considered since Pauno came in, wouldn't you want to keep him. ...

Pauno in.

I've been arguing this (except the Moore bit) almost singlehandedly for the past few weeks here, but I now think I was plain wrong.

1) that's a very big IF

2) I don't see the Moore thing as some big let-off for Pauno. HE is the manager, HE is paid to manage the players and the issues. I'd go so far as to say shitty as Moore may be, Pauno is likely equally to blame. Not just with Moore but perhaps the whole toxicity at the club. At best he's failed to manage the situation, at worst he may have caused it. The dressing room is LOST. That is why I turned from fierce defender to critic. It takes 2mins to find his track record from Chicago:

"His biggest issues relate to his curious and abrasive man-management. Paunovic has gotten into disputes with so many players over the course of his tenure that fans have become well aware of his ‘doghouse’. As soon as someone does anything that he doesn’t agree with, the player is stuck on the bench for weeks or even months at a time.

[snip plenty of examples]

No matter how many quality players the Fire give Paunovic, his track record suggests that he will eventually ruin most of them.

As I say, I'll put money on a flurry of players miraculously being healed once he's placed on garden leave.

Hence the urgency in my opinion.

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 16 Jan 2022 13:57

Good snips, thanks Millsy. I'm willing to ride out to the end of Feb, and maybe to the summer, but if we stay up and there's not a clear game plan presented, then it won't be much better at all next season.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Jan 2022 14:17

blythspartan I am just seeing this as another chapter in our history. I have supported the club for just over 50 years and for almost 30 years we have been in the old third and fourth divisions. Fans who have supported us for 20 years, which is a long time, have mostly only known championship or Premiership football, arguably the best period in our 150 year history.

This feels like the worst thing since Robert Maxwell’s Thames Valley Royals back in 1983. If the owner has lost interest we’re doomed tbh. I just wish as fans we could make a difference but not sure we can. It’s the perfect storm. Having said all that I’d support AFC Reading in any league.

This

Over the few last decades fans have moved from being supporters (in the literal sense of the word) to being followers.

We now only follow the club of our choosing, to think we “support” it anymore is just living in the rose-tinted past.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Jan 2022 14:20

Stevie G Good snips, thanks Millsy. I'm willing to ride out to the end of Feb, and maybe to the summer, but if we stay up and there's not a clear game plan presented, then it won't be much better at all next season.

The whole article is much more damning
https://mlsmultiplex.com/2019/10/15/chi ... aceptable/

Lists all the players he froze out, and rings too many bells

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 17 Jan 2022 21:22

blythspartan I am just seeing this as another chapter in our history. I have supported the club for just over 50 years and for almost 30 years we have been in the old third and fourth divisions. Fans who have supported us for 20 years, which is a long time, have mostly only known championship or Premiership football, arguably the best period in our 150 year history.

It's easy to see this as just another cycle in the club's history. There are good spells, and there are bad spells. It happens.

The problem is that this time round, I just can't see how it can end well - not unless the owner (or a new owner) decides to write off the debt. The debt will never be paid off. Even going into administration, with the club having no real assets any more, would mean a real risk of liquidation.

Even if Dai decides he's happy to keep paying the bills, I have no confidence in him doing anything other than spending stupidly like he has done so far, just loading the club with more debt, and another terrible squad.

And if Dai does decide he's had enough, we are gone. Given the mess the club is in, who would buy it?

I do seriously think there's a good change Reading FC won't exist in five years, and maybe sooner.

If the club did go bust, a reformed club would have major difficulty, unless it could somehow come to an agreement with Dai for use of the stadium. Scours Lane is terrible, and in a really bad location, and the nearest remotely viable ground is probably Maidenhead.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Jan 2022 21:48

On Blackburn, Mowbray was getting pelters last season. Even when they lost their star striker he just got on with it.

Just a couple of quotes from Blackburns forum after the tonking by Fulham........

"Can we have the contractors back please. They can remove that plank of wood TM!"

"Next it must be the whole management set after watching that abysmal performance.
So get some bottle and sack the lot of them then have a good long look at our CEO."

"Wish it was all change in the boardroom at ewood by god we need it badly - time for a change top to bottom if only the venkys see it - they are like the current management team out if their depth!!"

Those were posted last Nov. Ironic when you think how they are doing now.
I live in hope still that maybe behind the scenes and with a couple of players, in particular Morrison, coming back, our luck will change.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Jan 2022 22:09

Ascotexgunner On Blackburn, Mowbray was getting pelters last season. Even when they lost their star striker he just got on with it.

Just a couple of quotes from Blackburns forum after the tonking by Fulham........

"Can we have the contractors back please. They can remove that plank of wood TM!"

"Next it must be the whole management set after watching that abysmal performance.
So get some bottle and sack the lot of them then have a good long look at our CEO."

"Wish it was all change in the boardroom at ewood by god we need it badly - time for a change top to bottom if only the venkys see it - they are like the current management team out if their depth!!"

Those were posted last Nov. Ironic when you think how they are doing now.
I live in hope still that maybe behind the scenes and with a couple of players, in particular Morrison, coming back, our luck will change.

You mean the same Tony Mowbray with 15 years experiencing of managing in this country?

It’s not luck we’re doing so badly.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Jan 2022 22:11

Has anyone considered a car park demonstration?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jan 2022 22:45

WestYorksRoyal Has anyone considered a car park demonstration?

I have and I will be doing it

Everybody else on here is too fickle

157 posts