We DO have to take action ASAP.

157 posts
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Do fans have to take action ASAP?

by tmesis » 17 Jan 2022 23:55

WestYorksRoyal Has anyone considered a car park demonstration?

One problem is not knowing exactly what the focus of the protest would be.

At face value, we have an owner who has invested heaving in the club, built a new training ground, and given the playing staff more than adequate finances. His failing is picking terrible people to run the footballing side, which is more about incompetence than anything else.

We have a manager who probably isn't getting the best out of his squad, but with the squad so severely weakened, how much difference would anything but a miracle worker make - and do you have any confidence in the management picking the right replacement anyway?

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 18 Jan 2022 09:16

Simmops

I have and I will be doing it

Everybody else on here is too fickle

What game will be doing this at ? Luton ? Huddersfield ?

And exactly what car park are you referring to ? Hotel ? Main (huge) car park ?

Please tell.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Jan 2022 09:35

Barney
Simmops

I have and I will be doing it

Please tell.

Why? Will you join?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2022 09:38

Simmops
Barney
Simmops I have and I will be doing it

Please tell.

Why? Will you join?

Join? He will be working in the car park.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 18 Jan 2022 09:42

Simmops
Barney
Simmops I have and I will be doing it

Please tell.

Why? Will you join?

Good God NO. Why the hell would I want to make a protest in the car park ??
You are;
1) A season ticket holder
2) Someone that went to Middlesboro
3) Someone that wants to boycott the club
4) Someone that is itk with the club
5) Someone that wants to protest in the car park

I am intrigued, that is all. Your post said you will be making a protest...so am merely asking at what game will this be, and where
will you do it ? That's all.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Jan 2022 10:03

NathStPaul
Simmops
Barney

Please tell.

Why? Will you join?

Join? He will be working in the car park.

:lol:

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Jan 2022 10:04

Barney
Simmops
Barney

Please tell.

Why? Will you join?

You are;

I am intrigued, that is all. Your post said you will be making a protest...so am merely asking at what game will this be, and where

I have not thought of the logistics yet
You cannot just do a protest with no plan

You clearly have not bee in many violent and non violent protests before. I have been in loads.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Jan 2022 10:08

This is Reading FC - there will be no protest. Its not the Reading way. Pauno coming over to applaud fans after Fulham debacle to be greeted by boos and applause and then for the remainder of players acknowledging fans being applauded tells you all you need to know.

Here's an idea.

How about we re-create the atmosphere of that famous night at home against Forest or Wigan or the away support at Southampton. Encouragement, songs throughout, get behind the boys..... get a reaction, lets see if we get a reaction... do our bit, see if they respond.

Any form of protest, and careful what you wish for is what i would say.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2022 10:16

paultheroyal This is Reading FC - there will be no protest. Its not the Reading way. Pauno coming over to applaud fans after Fulham debacle to be greeted by boos and applause and then for the remainder of players acknowledging fans being applauded tells you all you need to know.

Here's an idea.

How about we re-create the atmosphere of that famous night at home against Forest or Wigan or the away support at Southampton. Encouragement, songs throughout, get behind the boys..... get a reaction, lets see if we get a reaction... do our bit, see if they respond.

Difference is we were playing those games in the hope of promotion or playoff success. The supporters have been so let down all season it is very hard to expect them to just suddenly offer unwaivering support all of a sudden. We are very much a group of supporters who have to be led by the players imo, if the players are doing well then we turn up in numbers, if there is a perceived lack of effort from them then we will do the same. That is shown in the attendance figures this season, started off badly and have gradually declined over time. I think we are past the point of no return now in terms of disconnect between the supporters and the club, can't see how it is repaired.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 18 Jan 2022 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 18 Jan 2022 10:18

Simmops
Barney
Simmops Why? Will you join?

You are;

You clearly have not bee in many violent and non violent protests before. I have been in loads.

Well, best of luck to you fella. As you've said, you have loads of experience in this field. I will await the outcome.

And by the way, for someone who is boycotting the club, why are you going to the QPR away game ??? Just asking.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Jan 2022 10:25

Barney
Simmops
Barney
You are;

Well, best of luck to you fella. As you've said, you have loads of experience in this field. I will await the outcome.

And by the way, for someone who is boycotting the club, why are you going to the QPR away game ??? Just asking.

bought my tickets before
am I oxf*rd wasting all that money

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Jan 2022 10:26

paultheroyal This is Reading FC - there will be no protest. Its not the Reading way. Pauno coming over to applaud fans after Fulham debacle to be greeted by boos and applause and then for the remainder of players acknowledging fans being applauded tells you all you need to know.

Here's an idea.

I agree with you, protests won't happen. But it also won't happen the other way without improvement on the pitch.

Reading fans are fickle and apathetic and always have been.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 18 Jan 2022 10:33

The Club is in a dire situation, there is no denying that and there are numerous factors that have caused this.

A positive (if there is one) is that there is an agreed business plan with the EFL in place, we have taken our punishment and hopefully the Club will abide by this business plan and we can get back on the straight and narrow - but there will inevitably be a lot of bumps in the road with contracts running out etc but fwiw, a mass clear out has probably been needed for a while, removing some of those 'big' characters in the dressing room, just got to hope the rebuild will be in the Championship next season which I do genuinely believe it will be.

Re fans taking actions against the owners/ manager etc. I don't see what that can achieve, like him or loathe him - the owner has invested in the Club and it hasn't worked out like it did for Bournemouth/ Wolves etc with their extravagant spending to get them out the league. We now need the owner and his money more than ever - so it would just be foolish to be calling for the owner to leave - if he took his money out the Club I can't see there being a big queue of replacements willing to buy the Club - so we would literally be shooting ourselves in the foot.

Calling for the managers head, yes results have been dire and I have sat through the majority home and away this season - but we have seen have cut-throat the owner has been with managers in the past - do you really think Pauno would still be in charge following the results of late if the owner could sack him - EFL restrictions and the business plan clearly are stopping us being able to do so.

So to summarise, let's just get behind the boys and get the results to keep us up. Summer mass-clear out (including the manager with his contract up) and let's just get this Club back on the straight and narrow within the confines of the business plan agreed with the EFL.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Jan 2022 10:38

Here's an idea.

We can't recreate it because:
We are shit
We aren't winning
Ground isn't full
Club1871

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jan 2022 11:31

What is a protest really going to solve?

We are all hoping for an "overnight" change, we want better results on the pitch, a protest isn't going to change that, supporting the players and the club will though. I'm as frustrated as the next fan with our current situation and our current results, but I still hold the belief that we will turn it around to stay up, even if it means staying up on goal difference come the end of the season.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2022 11:34

If nobody voices their displeasure then things will continue as they are, if you are happy with things as they are then by all means do nothing. There needs to be disruptive protests until changes are made in terms of the links between the supporters and the ownership. The supporters need to be treated like they matter and are wanted. From the catering to the football itself this just isn't happening right now and a message needs to be sent.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 18 Jan 2022 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 18 Jan 2022 11:52

^ justified thoughts and I agree.

Thing is, I don't want to see us get relegated. Could take years to get back up. I'll be cheering the team on at every home and away match this season to make sure that doesn't happen. No way will I be protesting until the season is over.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2022 11:56

Zammo ^ justified thoughts and I agree.

Thing is, I don't want to see us get relegated. Could take years to get back up. I'll be cheering the team on at every home and away match this season to make sure that doesn't happen. No way will I be protesting until the season is over.

Yeah there are two sides to it for sure. I think a happy medium would be to support the team fully for the 90 minutes then protest after the games, preferably in and around the West Stand entrance and car park by it, where all the club officials park. They will have to see the protests in order to get home after the game, they'll hear us.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 18 Jan 2022 12:02

NathStPaul

Yeah there are two sides to it for sure. I think a happy medium would be to support the team fully for the 90 minutes then protest after the games, preferably in and around the West Stand entrance and car park by it, where all the club officials park. They will have to see the protests in order to get home after the game, they'll hear us.

But what are you trying to achieve from protesting? Do you want a regular monthly letter from the owner to update on the Club? We all know the owner likes to keep himself to himself. We have a business plan agreed by the EFL which we are now abiding to.

Surely what STAR are doing by bringing the meeting forward to Friday will highlight the issues of catering etc.

What is the end goal of protesting? To upset the owner who has invested heavily so he packs it in and leave us in the sh*t? Could be massively shooting ourselves in the foot here, all I am saying...

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2022 12:09

hughsies no.1
NathStPaul

But what are you trying to achieve from protesting? Do you want a regular monthly letter from the owner to update on the Club? We all know the owner likes to keep himself to himself. We have a business plan agreed by the EFL which we are now abiding to.

Surely what STAR are doing by bringing the meeting forward to Friday will highlight the issues of catering etc.

What is the end goal of protesting? To upset the owner who has invested heavily so he packs it in and leave us in the sh*t? Could be massively shooting ourselves in the foot here, all I am saying...

I think the end goal should be to bring about a change in the clubs approach to the supporters and community as a whole, the club are more distant than ever before imo. The point needs to be made that whilst we accept the owner is a private person and doesn't want to interact with the supporters (as is his right) there has to be more transparancy. The constant radio silence just isn't working, especially at a time when things are so precarious for us with FFP. A proper director of football with an affinity to the club is needed and we could at least try and make that point, we need someone we can trust in a positon of power imo.

157 posts