Who are you local non league team?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who are you local non league team?

by tmesis » 17 Jan 2022 18:52

RFCMod Sandhurst Town (or Bracknell Town depending whos playing as they both ground share)

Me and the boy have a season ticket down there for when RFC aren't at home

Quite a decent set-up. Looks pretty smart, although probably not ideal if it's raining.

Of course, Bracknell no longer having a ground in their own town, and not even having a site to move back to, is a bit of a concern. If they'd sold a few metres less of their land at Larges Lane, so they could have made it a little bigger, they wouldn't have this problem.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Jan 2022 13:48

tmesis
RFCMod Sandhurst Town (or Bracknell Town depending whos playing as they both ground share)

Quite a decent set-up. Looks pretty smart, although probably not ideal if it's raining.

Of course, Bracknell no longer having a ground in their own town, and not even having a site to move back to, is a bit of a concern. If they'd sold a few metres less of their land at Larges Lane, so they could have made it a little bigger, they wouldn't have this problem.

It’s a slightly odd arrangement, Bracknell I think are technically the tenants of Sandhurst at Bottom Meadow but the ground improvements made there to bring it up to the levels required for Bracknell, to be promoted, have been paid for by Bracknell - so when they go back to Bracknell obviously the ”Fizzers” will be very nicely positioned. Be a real :lol: if Sandhurst somehow managed to get themselves up the pyramid ahead of Bracknell though.

The plan is for Bracknell to return as soon as they can but in the meantime the club offices and the excellent trading facilities are all still based in Larges Lane (where I believe the club was originally hoping to build its new ground) so the club is still very much Bracknell-centric.

Anyone have the latest update on this, I’ve not seen anything for the best part of a year or so.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2022 13:51

Sutekh
tmesis

It’s a slightly odd arrangement, Bracknell I think are technically the tenants of Sandhurst at Bottom Meadow but the ground improvements made there to bring it up to the levels required for Bracknell, to be promoted, have been paid for by Bracknell - so when they go back to Bracknell obviously the ”Fizzers” will be very nicely positioned. Be a real :lol: if Sandhurst somehow managed to get themselves up the pyramid ahead of Bracknell though.

The plan is for Bracknell to return as soon as they can but in the meantime the club offices and the excellent trading facilities are all still based in Larges Lane (where I believe the club was originally hoping to build its new ground) so the club is still very much Bracknell-centric.

Anyone have the latest update on this, I’ve not seen anything for the best part of a year or so.

I have an update but I can't say what it is in full. Lets just say there are ongoing negotiations to build a stadium and training complex in central Bracknell.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 18 Jan 2022 14:49

NathStPaul
Sutekh
tmesis Quite a decent set-up. Looks pretty smart, although probably not ideal if it's raining.

I have an update but I can't say what it is in full. Lets just say there are ongoing negotiations to build a stadium and training complex in central Bracknell.

I take it this is still the Ranelagh idea ?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2022 14:53

RFCMod
NathStPaul
Sutekh

No that is going to just be for the youth teams and for Ranelagh school sports as far as I am aware. One of the existing issues is the access in and out of there, residents kicked up a big fuss for years. If Bracknell continue to climb the leagues you're going to be looking at triple the amount of people coming to games than they had at Larges Lane.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 18 Jan 2022 15:50

Aldershot! :o :lol:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 18 Jan 2022 15:52

NathStPaul
RFCMod
NathStPaul I have an update but I can't say what it is in full. Lets just say there are ongoing negotiations to build a stadium and training complex in central Bracknell.

No that is going to just be for the youth teams and for Ranelagh school sports as far as I am aware. One of the existing issues is the access in and out of there, residents kicked up a big fuss for years. If Bracknell continue to climb the leagues you're going to be looking at triple the amount of people coming to games than they had at Larges Lane.

Football? At Ranelagh???? What is the world coming to?!??!!??

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 18 Jan 2022 16:43

Lichfield City. Been a couple of times. The last time I went, Leroy Lita was playing for the away team (Nuneaton Borough)

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Jan 2022 16:46

Depends how far up you want to go but the highest place local non-league side to me is Aldershot.

Just in general it would be Fleet Town.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 18 Jan 2022 17:11

Reading need all the support at the moment!

That being said, Hungerford are my non league team. Try to pop down to see them a couple times a season. Lovely ground, good food and people. A great non league team playing above their weight. Worth a visit as always need the support financially

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Jan 2022 17:47

NathStPaul
Sutekh
tmesis Quite a decent set-up. Looks pretty smart, although probably not ideal if it's raining.

I wouldn't have thought there are a huge number of central options. There's the cricket pitch next door. There's the Peel Centre, if that all gets knocked down. I had wondered if they'd maybe looked at the ice rink site, now that that's closed. That's obviously further out, but fewer residents to moan.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jan 2022 18:07

tmesis
NathStPaul
Sutekh

I wouldn't have thought there are a huge number of central options. There's the cricket pitch next door. There's the Peel Centre, if that all gets knocked down. I had wondered if they'd maybe looked at the ice rink site, now that that's closed. That's obviously further out, but fewer residents to moan.

There is definitely one place centrally they are interested in, local MP is involved in the purchase.
All second hand information, I've been told nothing directly.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 18 Jan 2022 21:51

Chippenham.

Whose council incidentally, host the Forest Green Rovers training facility.

It's not bad either.

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 19 Jan 2022 00:10

I've got a season ticket for Warrington in the Northern Premier League. Really good standard of football and a few well known faces still plying their trade. Interesting managerial appointment by our opponents on Saturday, South Shields. Kevin Phillips taking his first management job.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 Jan 2022 09:22

nailseabiscuitman I've got a season ticket for Warrington in the Northern Premier League. Really good standard of football and a few well known faces still plying their trade. Interesting managerial appointment by our opponents on Saturday, South Shields. Kevin Phillips taking his first management job.

Think Warrington is up there with Basingstoke in one of the biggest towns and the lowest ranked football team.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 Jan 2022 09:37

Like others on here, Aldershot are our closest non-league team (or perhaps Ash United). However after watching a couple of Shots games a few years ago my eldest son is a Farnborough supporter. When he first started going there was some bloke called Cureton who played for them...

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 19 Jan 2022 09:40

Haverfordwest County of the Cymru Premier

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Jan 2022 10:09

Would be Maidenhead United geographically. I have links with Binfield and Bracknell though so would ultimately back all three.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 19 Jan 2022 10:37

Quite a few to choose from in my neck of woods. King's Lynn Town in national league although bit of a hike from Nodge.

Then you've got a choice of Gorleston, Yarmouth (the bloaters), Dereham Town, Wroxham (The Yachtsmen, Grant Holt plays for them), Fakenham Town, Lowestoft (The trawlermen).

All of those teams in the pyramid and semi pro.

Would probably opt for Wroxham Town as I have a good friend whose son plays for them. Lovely ground as well.
Last edited by Norfolk Royal on 19 Jan 2022 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 19 Jan 2022 10:43

Largs Thistle